• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: First Light |OT| Make Fetch Happen

Number45

Good enough for me. :)

Played through to completion of the story mode this evening. Really liked the way it fed into Second Son. Hopefully SS will get a discount of some kind (or some PS+ action) so I can pick it up again and get the bonus stuff. I have my fully complete save ready and waiting (assuming the physical save will work with the digital version).

Just started playing this yesterday. Really like it so far. I really like Fetch and I love how Sucker Punch just nails the fluidity and feel of character movement. Actually, the combat is the least enjoyable part of the game for me so far, and I just love exploring the city and trying to get up high and finding things to steal neon power from, and so on. It's really fun.

Is there any benefit to locking the frame rate at 30fps? Like as in any graphical bells and whistles or anything like that? Because I've found the frame rate 'unlocked' really great so far.

neoism

My first time really playing an infamous game :O :O :O
Holy shit this game is amazing. Also really like the girl protagonist. also I'm pretty sure this is the first console game I've ever seen that has an unlimited FPS option in the options menu. I knew something seemed odd when playing... I was like is this game faster than 60 FPS. Psn+ is amazing... Will probably get second son now....

WZFokbD.gif

I got the final power and once I beat the arena I'm at a screen with a skull image and it says "recalling events" and has a download countdown. Um, do I have to re-dl the game? I've left the game and come back and it goes to this screen and I've tried this on and offline. Offline it gives me an "internet off" message as if that's important or something. And it's not a dl in my dl queue either. Just really confused and this dl says like 80 hours (it took me 3 days to dl this I've reallly bad dl speeds so I don't want to have to dl this again).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I have to say, I have no issue with how short and sharp this game is. I prefer it.

I also have no qualms with how Fetch is effectively invincible. It's just more fun to me that way.

what happens if you kill a hostage by accident?

Nothing. I've killed a couple by accident (as in I 'accidentally' did the orbital drop on their head) and all that happens is you miss that chance to rescue them. They spawn infrequently, but once you complete the main story they come along much more regularly.

I did that last night...no clue except a message on screen...and those Lumen Races are a pain in the ass...nice little game though and graphics are just wow.

I thought the Lumen Races were great. Finishing them and getting the Neon Lumens was probably my favourite part of the game, especially before there were any enemies in the environment which you constantly have to fight.

I finished this last night, and found it very enjoyable overall. I liked that the final mission
took place outside of the city
and I'm glad Fetch didn't
suddenly have a change of heart and forgive Shane
. She's really cool character; I have yet to play Second Son but I hope she's in the next Infamous game; preferably as co-protagonist.

Just finished this having not played an infamous game since infamous one which I hated and it was amazing. The missions themselves were super bland but the traversal is a Ton of fun and collecting things and the catch the lumar missions were so much fun. The story was really cool too and the graphics are amazing. It really caught me off gaurs given my feelings on infamous one. I was getting some mad sunset overdrive vibes with this games traversal and that is my game of the year. I probably won't so any missions cuz tbh the combat is pretty bland as we'll but I plan to return to the city to collect everything

Do I pick up second son? Is the city there bigger? Are the mission designs better? Is traversal the same?

ascii42

Just finished this having not played an infamous game since infamous one which I hated and it was amazing. The missions themselves were super bland but the traversal is a Ton of fun and collecting things and the catch the lumar missions were so much fun. The story was really cool too and the graphics are amazing. It really caught me off gaurs given my feelings on infamous one. I was getting some mad sunset overdrive vibes with this games traversal and that is my game of the year. I probably won't so any missions cuz tbh the combat is pretty bland as we'll but I plan to return to the city to collect everything

Do I pick up second son? Is the city there bigger? Are the mission designs better? Is traversal the same?
First Light's city is basically the top half of Second Son's city. Traversal is largely the same when using neon powers, but the other powers are a bit different. Mission design is about the same, really.

See the map in first light ? second son is the same + the area on the bottom. Mission design is varied ...not to say "better" since first light learned from second son ... it's different but not a radical change..
Traversal is better in second son ( more options , more powers to choose from )

LogicStep

I got Second Son when it came out and finished it. Finally got around to playing First Light since it's on PS+ and beat it last night. What a great game. I loved it and I really like the arena stuff. Plenty of combat to play around. After I beat it I stayed playing Survival for a good hour. Good fun.

Number45

How are you supposed to get to the neon lumens that are up really high?
Concentrate on unlocking the movement abilities - some of them are a little tricky but they're all perfectly reachable. For those that SEEM impossible, it's usually a combination of being able to launch at speed from a nearby roof at the right angle and then dashing (possibly multiple times).

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished the story today and I feel like this is pretty much the perfect vertical slice of Infamous. The missions are fun and the side stuff is over before it starts to drag. Whereas SS felt like 'copy paste, the game', this is much more focused. You only have one set of powers, but in SS most felt like a copy anyway. There's no morality crap either, so there are no dumb and meaningless choices. In the best way possible, this feels like Infamous condensed to its essence. A game like this really benefits from only being a couple hours long.

This is also the first time I actually cared about the characters and plot in an Infamous game. I didn't expect this, because Fetch wasn't that great of a character in SS, but this really fleshed her out. Also her getting
strongarmed to be Shane's slave, made the payoff in the end pretty satisfying. There was no choice to let him live or die, and it's better that way.

I've started the mission mode now and this is great fun as well. Getting a Platinum will probably be too time-consuming, but I'm definitely trying out every arena at least once.

For anyone who hasn't played anything Infamous before, I feel like this is the best entry to do so. If you've played everything in the series, it feels too familiar to be really impressive, but if you're new... this can be an even better experience.

Melchiah

I've started the mission mode now and this is great fun as well. Getting a Platinum will probably be too time-consuming, but I'm definitely trying out every arena at least once.

It took me less than six days to platinum the game, and I was by no means an expert in the arenas.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It took me less than six days to platinum the game, and I was by no means an expert in the arenas.

Yeah turns out it's way easier than I thought, platinumed it after 2 days. I expected some of the challenges to be grindy, but I got them all without much trouble. The arenas are super fun with the right custom soundtrack. Mayhem on screen + metal = awesome.

I loved First Light. Probably my favourite InFamous thing.

Melchiah

Yeah turns out it's way easier than I thought, platinumed it after 2 days. I expected some of the challenges to be grindy, but I got them all without much trouble. The arenas are super fun with the right custom soundtrack. Mayhem on screen + metal = awesome.

I loved First Light. Probably my favourite InFamous thing.

The hostage arenas were by far the hardest for me, but it didn't take that long to clear them either.

I enjoyed both SS and FL as well, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Deku Tree

So I just started playing Infamous SS. And I have a few questions.

What's better SS or First Light? Which should I play first?

And how hard is expert mode? I am finding normal mode to be totally trivially easy. Does Normal mode get harder later on?

What about the platinum for First light? Is it quick?

Thanks!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So I just started playing Infamous SS. And I have a few questions.

What's better SS or First Light? Which should I play first?

And how hard is expert mode? I am finding normal mode to be totally trivially easy. Does Normal mode get harder later on?

What about the platinum for First light? Is it quick?

Thanks!

First Light is a prequel to SS, it gives you the backstory to one of the side characters there. It doesn't really matter which one you play first, but if you've already started I'd continue with SS and then do FL. I enjoyed FL a lot more, since it's short and doesn't overstay its welcome. The main quest for SS is okay, but the sidemissions are 100% copy paste and a chore to do (if you're going for trophies that is).

I got the plat for FL and I'd say it's pretty easy. Story is done quick, and getting the required scores for the missions isn't hard either. I found the survival missions in FL to be a lot of fun, it's a great arcade/score mode.

Deku Tree

First Light is a prequel to SS, it gives you the backstory to one of the side characters there. It doesn't really matter which one you play first, but if you've already started I'd continue with SS and then do FL. I enjoyed FL a lot more, since it's short and doesn't overstay its welcome. The main quest for SS is okay, but the sidemissions are 100% copy paste and a chore to do (if you're going for trophies that is).

I got the plat for FL and I'd say it's pretty easy. Story is done quick, and getting the required scores for the missions isn't hard either. I found the survival missions in FL to be a lot of fun, it's a great arcade/score mode.

Oh yeah I started doing a bunch of side missions before I realized how to continue with the main quest lol. Yeah they all seem to be exactly the same just do the same exact thing over again in every single zone lol. Surely tedious. Thanks!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh yeah I started doing a bunch of side missions before I realized how to continue with the main quest lol. Yeah they all seem to be exactly the same just do the same exact thing over again in every single zone lol. Surely tedious. Thanks!

It's the most blatant copy paste job I've seen in an open world game. Literally every zone has the same type and number of missions. They don't even try to mix it up by introducing new mission types later.

Luckily, First Light has a small number of side missions, and the short races are kinda fun as well.

newjeruse

Started this last week for no reason and platinumed it tonight. Very enjoyable experience, though I've probably had my fill with the combat arenas at this point. SP is 2/2 with DLC in these games.

CREMSteve

Played through this over the weekend after having it in my backlog for years. Stellar gameplay, just a fun sandbox to play around in. Those arena challenges are fun as well, difficult to master but still attainable. Looks gorgeous in 4K+HDR as well. Bring on more inFamous games, please!

Top Bottom