• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous: Second Son |OT| Smells Like Beanie Spirit

Radec

As much as people bitch about DLC it really bums me out that this game only got paper trail. Wasn't Festival of Blood pretty much loved by everyone?

It baffles me why they went stand alone with First Light and that was it basically.

This was a game I would have gladly paid a season pass for or $15 dlc to flesh it out.

First Light is the DLC. Its the same with FoB. You can play FoB stand alone.

I discovered the first paper trail 'clue' the other day. What do I need to do to make it work, and are there missions tied to it or something?

You gotta go to some mailbox and connect through facebook to progress the quest line after you start the initial quest.

Hrmmm forgot that FoB was stand alone as well, that being said I would have preferred that First Light would have been integrated into the main game for multiple reasons. Performance issues, etc.

Shin-Ra

Second Son's performance capture and rendering of that performance is really underrated.

iss_handsthing.gif

iss_whatdoesthatevenmean.gif

http://gifyu.com/images/iss_comeon.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_ok.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_saywhat.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_imtoldthathurts.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_imaconduit.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_wince-hud.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_damn-hud.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_handsthing.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_whatdoesthatevenmean.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/iss_ghandi.gif

inFAMOUS 1 had really awful realtime cutscene animation, i2 improved a lot but Second Son's right up there with the best in games. Eyes need the most improvement and I can't wait to see if Sucker Punch nail it on the next game.

Dereck

I played and beat this game last year when it came out. On my first playthrough, I played the hero.

Since completing he game, I purchased First Light, which was good. I couldn't jive with the replay value, I found most of the arenas too difficult.

I bought Second Son last week for $24.99, I wanted to platinum the game and beat the game as a terrorist.

I have recently decided that I love this game, despite it's shortcomings. I'm interested to see if Sucker Punch is gonna continue with this storyline/these characters or not.

Pallaris

Got this from PSN sale.

Is anyone else experience constant micro hitching/stuttering just running around?. (I'm not talking about framerate - feels more like a loading/streaming issue) It's pretty much ruining the game for me.

Never saw this mentioned in the performance analysis stuff, so thought i'd bring it up in case there was something else at play here

EDIT - just searched the thread and seen people mention it/link to youtube videos which show the exact issue. So it's an engine limitation.

dissapointing.

Got this from PSN sale.

Is anyone else experience constant micro hitching/stuttering just running around?. (I'm not talking about framerate - feels more like a loading/streaming issue) It's pretty much ruining the game for me.

Never saw this mentioned in the performance analysis stuff, so thought i'd bring it up in case there was something else at play here

EDIT - just searched the thread and seen people mention it/link to youtube videos which show the exact issue. So it's an engine limitation.

dissapointing.

Did you try the 30fps lock that was added to options?

Pallaris

Yeah the 30fps lock just regulates framerate. (annoying that It doesn't remember this setting) This does not solve the stuttering issue.

Overall performance in this game is pretty poor which is a real shame cause otherwise the gameplay is solid and the presentation and visuals are top. Game looks amazing at times.

Deku Tree

OK. I just started playing Infamous SS. And I have a few questions.

What's better SS or First Light? Which should I play first?

And how hard is expert mode? I am finding normal mode to be totally trivially easy. Does Normal mode get harder later on? Thanks!

And how hard is expert mode? I am finding normal mode to be totally trivially easy. Does Normal mode get harder later on? Thanks!

I think overall second son is better, it has more powers and locations, but first light have the arena mode wich is fun and adds a lot of replay value.

In My opinion you should play ss first and the games aren't that difficult even at higher difficulties

Goldrusher

First Light is a short prequel, but it's better to play it after Second Son.

As for the difficulty, that's up to you. I personally prefer easy, for that superhero / invincible feeling. At higher difficulties, it becomes just another cover shooter.

Deku Tree

Thanks! Actually I finished SS already and I just started playing First light yesterday. The platinum for SS seemed too Grindy though so I'll probably miss out on it.

Thanks! Actually I finished SS already and I just started playing First light yesterday. The platinum for SS seemed too Grindy though so I'll probably miss out on it.

Ss Platinum is really easy trust me, one of the easiest. It takes really Little time to collect all the collectibles (they are even marked on the map). Give it a chance ;)

Deku Tree

Ss Platinum is really easy trust me, one of the easiest. It takes really Little time to collect all the collectibles (they are even marked on the map). Give it a chance ;)

Capturing every area 100% seemed extremely Grindy IMO for that trophy.

And I finished the game with 75% of the way left to go to reach the last "good" rank level. During the game my melee combos often ended up giving me evil points because I was mashing buttons too fast to notice the good vs evil take down option pop up. Otherwise I did no evil at all in beating the game once.

Seems really Grindy and could take a super long time to reach top tier "good" status for that Trophy.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It's been 2 years and Sucker Punch hasn't made the Cole Legacy mission available via DLC? Really?

Deku Tree

It's been 2 years and Sucker Punch hasn't made the Cole Legacy mission available via DLC? Really?

Wow I didn't even know about that. I just got SS in a bundle when I bought my PS4.

Is it a good set of missions? I hate when actual game missions are locked behind a special edition.

At least they could give it away free or sell it after some time has gone by...

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I didn't even know about that. I just got SS in a bundle when I bought my PS4.

Is it a good set of missions? I hate when actual game missions are locked behind a special edition.

At least they could give it away free or sell it after some time has gone by...

Apparently it's available for purchase on EU PSN but NA is shit outta luck.

You aren't missing anything. It's a short and boring mission.

i consider myself a huge infamous fan and those missions really made me question why those existed.

they needed a pre-order bonus or something and made those at the last minute, maybe ?
can't find another explanation aside from that.

SlickVic

Finally got around to playing and finishing this. Combat definitely is very fun and good variety between the different powers. Boss battles definitely were the low point of the game for me however, especially the last one. That one move it uses with the rockets where if you're caught in the wrong camera angle you're basically insta-dead. Just gets annoying having to nurse the camera around while trying to attack it. I probably died on that boss a good 10 times before somehow getting through it. Also wasn't crazy about the fact that after you spend the whole game learning all the different powers they throw them all out and force you to learn a new one.

Now onto First Light. Hoping it does away with annoying boss battles as I really liked the other parts of Second Son and wouldn't mind more of that.

SlickVic

Just played through First Light. Man that was fun. Sure it's short, but I wasn't coming into it expecting anything more than than the 4-5 hours it took me to play through it. You can argue the side activities are repetitive, but I had way more fun doing the neon races and even the neon graffiti than any of Second Son's side activities. I will say that Neon is probably my favorite of the abilities from the original game (especially with the infinite running) so this First Light being based off it and adding some more neat abilities to it didn't bother me at all.

I also liked the small gameplay tweaks. Being able to 'ping' to find enemy and activity locations was quite helpful.

Bladenic

Super LTTP but I finally got a PS4 and started playing SS today. Was a pretty big fan of the series, especially two which I loved (and Festival of Blood was awesome). Liking SS so far, but I just checked and Sucker Punch only released the pre-order DLC on EU store? Wtf? And I can't find the Paper Trail dlc anywhere either, am I missing something?

Game is very pretty, the first two games were rather rough looking and had much less color. Also loving how much it's raining (guess that's true for Seattle).

Melchiah

Super LTTP but I finally got a PS4 and started playing SS today. Was a pretty big fan of the series, especially two which I loved (and Festival of Blood was awesome). Liking SS so far, but I just checked and Sucker Punch only released the pre-order DLC on EU store? Wtf? And I can't find the Paper Trail dlc anywhere either, am I missing something?

Game is very pretty, the first two games were rather rough looking and had much less color. Also loving how much it's raining (guess that's true for Seattle).

Do you mean the Cole's Legacy mission? If so, it's really short, so I wouldn't say you miss anything crucial. I think it was worse, that they released the soundtrack for free in the NA store, and never gave it to the European fans.

IIRC, the Paper Trail should be accessible automatically in the game. Look for an icon on the map.
EDIT: I dunno if you need to reach a certain point in the story, as I played it after completing the game.

WhiteWolf

Just got this due to the E3 sale and I really enjoyed it. Blew through the good playthrough this weekend and just started the evil one. I wish they would remaster inFamous 1 and 2 for the PS4, I have a real craving to play those now.

Is Sucker Punch done with the inFamous series? They had nothing to show for this E3 and I figure that's due to making a new IP.

Wagram

Why is First Light still $15? Blood and Wine offers 10x the content and production value and it's the same cost if you buy the season pass. It costs more than I paid for the base game.

EDIT: After having spent 3 hours with this so far. I can safely say they don't deserve $15 for a DLC when the base game is so utterly average.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Why is First Light still $15? Blood and Wine offers 10x the content and production value and it's the same cost if you buy the season pass. It costs more than I paid for the base game.

EDIT: After having spent 3 hours with this so far. I can safely say they don't deserve $15 for a DLC when the base game is so utterly average.

I thought First Light was a lot better than Second Son. It runs better too.
But I got it for free on Plus, so theres that.

Wagram

I see they ret-conned the entire
"all conduits would die"
thing. It was very clearly stated in inFamous 2 that would happen, but they changed it to
radius/resilience
instead. Kinda lame.

I mean, none of the powers are as fun to move around with as Cole's were. Gliding around on power wires and train tracks was just the greatest.

BradleyUK

I completed this game on True Hero status and on hard. So I went and made a new game to be evil and forgot about the paper trails on my other save. I went to load my True hero save and it ask me something and didn't read it, pressed ok. I lost my 100% game because i saved over my 100%. :(

Top Bottom