• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italy "Next-Gen" HW Numbers [PS4 210k, XB1 < 150k, Wii U ???] via Ubisoft

SephiZack

Wasn't Italy one of the Euro countries where 360 the best? Granted that's not saying much, because Euro in general (minus UK) is PS dominant.

No, PS3 is more popular than 360 in Italy and every weekly chart is filled by PS3/4 games.

Fun fact: My science teacher in middle school thought my GBA was a "Playstation"

I'd be curious to see LTD numbers of the PS3 vs the PS2. The market kinda fell off a cliff after the crisis (and being the oldest country in Europe doesn't help), I think even Spain with a smaller population has higher numbers.

No, PS3 is more popular than 360 in Italy and every weekly chart is filled by PS3/4 games.

Fun fact: My science teacher in middle school thought my GBA was a "Playstation"

Yeah, Playstation and Game Boy were basically the only two words to describe videogames until a few years ago. Now, it's Playstation, Xbox or Nintendo. They can exchange based on the children's tastes.

Axass

Considering Italy has a population of 60M those numbers are surprisingly small.

There's still a big social stigma on those playing games here, especially on dedicated systems. Meanwhile primary school kids usually have iPhones.

Italy is a totally fucked up place anyway.

Axass

Yeah, here every system went from being a "Nintendo" in the nineties to being a "Playstation" from 2000 onwards, at least as far as parents and medias are concerned.

Guymelef

Some European numbers.
Software sales, not hardware.

I just came back from the IDEF and I got a lot of numbers.

Hardware + Software (without digital) sales for january-may 2014 (vs january-may 2013):

United Kingdom 604 million &#8364; (+67%)
Germany 448 million &#8364; (+3%)
France 446 million &#8364; (+16%)
Spain 215 million &#8364; (+9%)
Italy 186 million &#8364; (+7%)
Belgium 73 million &#8364; (+5%)
Netherlands 72 million &#8364; (+9%)

By units (software):

United Kingdom 8 640 000 (=)
Germany 6 920 000 (-24%)
France 5 950 000 (-15%)
Spain 3 210 000 (-6%)
Italy 2 880 000 (-12%)
Belgium 1 070 000 (-20%)
Netherlands 1 060 000 (-14%)

Hardware:

United Kingdom 890 000 (+60%)
Germany 620 000 (-1%)
France 690 000 (+12%)
Spain 390 000 (+1%)
Italy 320 000 (-8%)
Belgium 120 000 (=)
Netherlands 150 000 (+1%)

By the way, old news but I don't think it came to GAF: Watch Dogs did more than 300k in France (first week). Mario Kart 8 did more than 75k.

Now imagine what tier 2 countries like Belgium or Netherlands will do for XBO...

airborn

Considering Italy has a population of 60M those numbers are surprisingly small.
SELL released their second annual L'essentiel du Jeu Video report last month, which had some European GFK numbers (Gen 8) for the first five months of the year.

sell1x1jtm.jpg

There's a lot more interesting data in the report, including European gaming/purchasing behaviours and an in-dept overview of the French gaming market

DieH@rd

Banned
If Sony manages to sell 14 million PS4 consoles by Dec 31 2014 [doable with great holiday season sales], then Italy with its ~550k will represent 4% of the worldwide market. Sounds about right.

I always viewed UK+France+Germany as holders of 15-20% of WW console market.

Faustek

You people complaining about sales number must understand that we in glorious Europe don't really or rather can't appreciate such a plebeian pass time as console gaming and as a result of not living around the TV we don't get befuddled by Adds trying to fool us.

We drink fancy wine, we eat smelly expensive cheeses and when we insult you we don't "fuck your mother" we "make love to your mother" we pira... Play on pc instead and sit upon our throne of gold as we look down on you lesser beings.

/s

Or you know, other reasons.

There's still a big social stigma on those playing games here, especially on dedicated systems. Meanwhile primary school kids usually have iPhones.

Italy is a totally fucked up place anyway.

That's weird, I thought it was a stereotype that Italian men live with their parents well into adulthood, seems like the perfect demographic to also play games :D

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
honestly speaking, italy is LeagueOfLegendsLand.
I'm ninety-percent sure that there's more LoL players than 7th gen console owners.

Also, PS2 was completely and utterly everywhere, but when PS3 launched at that ridicolous pricepoint, and Microsoft isn't exactly well-liked here... welp.

Because I consider it a Next-gen console and wanted to title it next gen sales. Mods can update the title as necessary if it was poorly thought out

Ubisoft did not care enough to bother

I understand you wanted Italy next-gen hardware sales topic but if you had no info for it, it becomes a target to get off-topic so I was just asking why it was even needed.

Nobody, NOBODY knows what a WiiU is.
Someone recognized my PsVita, but nobody ever stepped into my house and said "oh hey, a WiiU". Uninterested people still "play" on their Wii and don't know the console is dead and there's a successor.
there is knowing a thing exist, and there is caring about it. It is not part of the conversation in EU right now

Ubisoft did not care enough to bother

I understand you wanted Italy next-gen hardware sales topic but if you had no info for it, it becomes a target to get off-topic so I was just asking why it was even needed.

Yeah maybe the title should be updated then. I didn't mean to confuse people. Just tried to put as much information in the title but I guess it's unneeded

I'm not shocked by the PS4 numbers. I still think they need more software they could do much better with some major titles

Destiny and GTAV and a few indie titles is all I have to focus on this holiday on PS4
not sure if I'll spend money on Ubisoft games this year

Oswen

That's weird, I thought it was a stereotype that Italian men live with their parents well into adulthood, seems like the perfect demographic to also play games :D

Not so much.
That happens because it's very difficult to live on your own in Italy, it's a combination of high unemployment rate, extremely low average salaries compared to other countries and very high taxes and costs on just about anything.
Most of that demographic doesn't care about games anyway, they'll just go to the local bar and discuss about a football match in their free time.

Numbers are about right for Italy anyway, there may be 60mil people but most of them are pretty old and culturally wise gaming is still bad for most people: it's either a thing for children or something that turns you into a killer.

Sony has always been dominant, every console is a "playstation" and the brand really sells on name alone while there are mixed feelings about Microsoft and Nintendo is "for kids".
Handhelds aren't liked that much and 3DS and Vita are seen mostly as fancy DSs and PSPs (read:prehistoric things) even by children, trying to play one in public will attract very odd looks and at best a "don't you have a phone?" comment.
My 6 years old niece, for example, doesn't know who Pikachu is but regularly plays with a cheap Android tablet and knows angry birds and co well.
I wanted to gift her a 2DS with X or Y or the upcoming ORAS but her mom didn't agree because "then we'd have to buy games while the tablet has free ones".

PC gaming seems to be on the rise however, STEAM is becoming extremely popular and everyone seems to be playing MOBAs.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dat logic. Because Microsoft goal is to beat PS4 and not make profit?

The problem is that, I fear, MS isn't making profit. If the forecast till December 31st is 150,000 units for Xbox One, it means that, so far, it sold faaaaar below PS4 and, above all, probably not that healthy at all. I wouldn't be surprised in knowing Wii U is doing on par with MS console this year.

Darksol

Looks like everyone who predicted 2:1 in US, 4:1 in Europe was correct. The potential for the gap to widen even more is still a possibility.

aries_71

The X1 is dead outside the US and UK and there's nothing MS can do to change that till next gen. That's why they're focusing on those two regions. The Xbox brand is in general very American centered (and the UK tends to be the same as the US).

Make no mistake. With those numbers, and if the tendency continues, there won't be a next-gen for Microsoft.

fred

550k vs 150k

Holy shit. MS is getting wiiu'd in Europe.

I've been saying the same thing for a while but all I get is comments claiming I'm insane or trolling. I can't see any more than 4.5m Xbox Ones in homes worldwide at the moment. The console has been an unmitigated flop in Europe so far and it's only been doing 'okay' in the States. If Microsoft don't do something, and do something soon, the Xbox One is going to be in a whole heap of trouble.

The NPD figures for June are going to be very interesting.

Genio88

I'm one of those 150k italians who bought an Xbox One, i'll raise the PS4 number too when Uncharted comes out

Latest figures for France say Gen8 at 1,000,000 total at the end of May 2014, including 340,000 Wii U.

That leaves 294,000 unaccounted for between PS4 and XB1

Using the same ratio between PS4 and XB1 as the 2013 YTD [which is unlikely to be accurate though as XB1 probably did much better relative to PS4 in France in the first couple of months] PS4 France LTD would be 433,000, and XB1 France LTD would be 227,000 [as of end of May 2014]

I imagine it probably swings a bit more in PS4's favor so maybe more like 450,000 PS4 versus 210,000 XB1?

Axass

Most of that demographic doesn't care about games anyway, they'll just go to the local bar and discuss about a football match in their free time.

Numbers are about right for Italy anyway, there may be 60mil people but most of them are pretty old and culturally wise gaming is still bad for most people: it's either a thing for children or something that turns you into a killer.

I wanted to gift her a 2DS with X or Y or the upcoming ORAS but her mom didn't agree because "then we'd have to buy games while the tablet has free ones".

That's all saddening true, and my niece has a tablet as well, my brother didn't want to shell out for the 3DS/2DS. I hate this place, and not due to gaming's situation only. What a total disaster we are.

looks like xbone is in trouble in europe.

That's been blatantly obvious since well before launch. Microsoft focused almost entirely on the US and UK during the last few years of the 360's life, ignoring everyone else, and their sales continued to shrink in those countries as a result. So with no momentum at all and all the other factors taken into account (DRM, Kinect, price, etc.), you'd have to be delusional to seriously think the Xbone would even do as well as the 360 in those countries.

aries_71

That's been blatantly obvious since well before launch. Microsoft focused almost entirely on the US and UK during the last few years of the 360's life, ignoring everyone else, and their sales continued to shrink in those countries as a result. So with no momentum at all and all the other factors taken into account (DRM, Kinect, price, etc.), you'd have to be delusional to seriously think the Xbone would even do as well as the 360 in those countries.

I am curious. I'm a European Xbox owner (and Playstation too, for that matter). In what sense did Microsoft focused on the US, ignoring everything else? I keep hearing this idea and I don't quite see the reasoning.

iceatcs

I am curious. I'm a European Xbox owner (and Playstation too, for that matter). In what sense did Microsoft focused on the US, ignoring everything else? I keep hearing this idea and I don't quite see the reasoning.
Heavy online gaming, Kinect language, US TV contents only. I believe many more reasons but I can't think of right now.

Heavy online gaming, Kinect language, US TV contents only. I believe many more reasons but I can't think of right now.

I feel the US TV complaint isn't entirely fair as it's not always up to MS if they can bring certain features to other countries.

The rest I agree on, but the TV complaint has never really struck me as being a fair one.

iceatcs

I feel the US TV complaint isn't entirely fair as it's not always up to MS if they can bring certain features to other countries.

The rest I agree on, but the TV complaint has never really struck me as being a fair one.
I don't give a damn about how fair, but there are complaints about it or MS too focus in US TV market.
But you are right about content that some can't be work on other countries. Still it would recommend anyone drop all TV on the system if you can't get fair rent of the world.

ethomaz

Banned

But it is a feature on the console that you can't use outside US... that means focus in US instead others places.

aries_71

I can't agree. The Europeans I know like their online COD as much as anybody from Minnesota, Kinnect is a nice to have kit but nobody's fault that we in Europe have a couple billions languages (some of them with just a couple of native speakers), and the TV depends on the providers. In addition to that, is not like Sony is providing better spoken language recognition and TV support in Europe, right?

iceatcs

I can't agree. The Europeans I know like their online COD as much as anybody from Minnesota, Kinnect is a nice to have kit but nobody's fault that we in Europe have a couple billions languages (some of them with just a couple of native speakers), and the TV depends on the providers. In addition to that, is not like Sony is providing better spoken language recognition and TV support in Europe, right?
Stop defending. You are the one ask for why, and nothing to do with Sony or how popular online.

Remember there isn't only one pure reason of why Xbox not doing well in EU. Just multi-reasons.

aries_71

Stop defending. You are the one ask for why, and nothing to do with Sony.

Remember there isn't only one pure reason of why Xbox not doing well in EU. Just multi-reasons.

Bollocks, junior, you are not giving coherent reasons. Xbox is not doing well in Europe because of two reasons that don't have anything to do with the "US focus" bullshit: launch price tag and brand recognition.

Sony has always been dominant, every console is a "playstation" and the brand really sells on name alone while there are mixed feelings about Microsoft and Nintendo is "for kids".
Handhelds aren't liked that much and 3DS and Vita are seen mostly as fancy DSs and PSPs (read:prehistoric things) even by children, trying to play one in public will attract very odd looks and at best a "don't you have a phone?" comment.
Unfortunately, this is accurate.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo handhelds are still popular, though. If you look at the PAL Charts of the next few weeks Tomodachi Life and Inazuma Eleven have been doing great, and titles like Pokémon, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing always sell a lot.

iceatcs

Bollocks, junior, you are not giving coherent reasons. Xbox is not doing well in Europe because of two reasons that don't have anything to do with the "US focus" bullshit: launch price tag and brand recognition.

Oh grow up.

Such as asshole person I ever met in this forum. You are also not giving coherent reasons too. The price Xbox One is cheaper than PS4 in some places, and some have more Xbox recognition because of intensely marketing advert.

My 8678th post in the Neogaf.

aries_71

Oh grow up.

Such as asshole person I ever met in this forum. You are also not giving coherent reasons too. The price Xbox One is cheaper than PS4 in some places, and some have more Xbox recognition because of intensely marketing advert.

Not in the Europe that I know, where Playstation is synonym with gaming console and Nintendo to handheld. And as far as prices, just a big no too, PS4 has been consistently cheaper since day one. Still waiting for this "US focus" stigma to be explained.

Agree with other posters to the fact that gaming, in most of Europe, is not seen as a valid adult Hobbie.

Top Bottom