• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it last night and loved it immensely BUT

was anyone else annoyed at how the movie almost crosses the line between a serious action flick and a parody at some points? Yeah, I know the first one was also like that, but in this case there were some moments where I either had to suspend my disbelief quite a bit, or it was too much on the nose.

Examples:
- Almost everything about the interactions between John and Cassian, like when they were shooting at each other with the silenced guns, the knife fight in the train(seriously, nobody screamed or tried to run away while it was happening?).
- Some characters, like the Sommelier("Do enjoy your party, Mr. Wick *winkwink*") and everything about Lawrence Fishburne.
- The opening scene with Tarasov's reactions to the noise.

Whereas in the first movie the ridiculousness was kept mostly around how durable John is. Now I worry about the third one.
It's obvious they'll expand on the internals of the organisation even more, and that might lead to even more of the aforementioned crap.
Anyone else feel the same way as I do?

Loxley

was anyone else annoyed at how the movie almost crosses the line between a serious action flick and a parody at some points? Yeah, I know the first one was also like that, but in this case there were some moments where I either had to suspend my disbelief quite a bit, or it was too much on the nose.

Examples:
- Almost everything about the interactions between John and Cassian, like when they were shooting at each other with the silenced guns, the knife fight in the train(seriously, nobody screamed or tried to run away while it was happening?).
- Some characters, like the Sommelier("Do enjoy your party, Mr. Wick *winkwink*") and everything about Lawrence Fishburne.

Whereas in the first movie the ridiculousness was kept mostly around how durable John is. Now I worry about the third one.
It's obvious they'll expand on the internals of the organisation even more, and that might lead to even more of the aforementioned crap.

I see what you're saying, but bare in mind the movie is meant to look and feel like a graphic novel come to life (the director himself has said as much). It's not meant to be realistic.

Saw it last night. Maybe it's because I was a high but, I thought it was terrible. Loved the original, but this one was one step too cheesy, the gun action didn't match the first, and the bullet proof vests..... man what the fuck.

cLOUDo

Best action movie I've seen in a very looong time(sorry raid 2, there is a new king now)

Better than the first one in every single way

The conversation
in the first minutes was hilarious
LOL

firelogic

Anyone notice that booze is really expensive?

I'll take a couple custom tailored tactical armored super suits, an arsenal, and keys to some century old locks. These few coins should cover it.

I'll have a gin and bourbon. A coin should cover it.

The directors said that the coins aren't used like traditional currency. Each coin isn't worth X amount of money. They said it acts like a tip as well as a status symbol. They can tip as much or as little as they want.

Amagon

A little much slow parts between the action and the final battle could of use some trimming as well.

Great movie, even though it felt a little bit of rehash.

went to watch it yesterday with some family, it was so freaking good and so hype, i have to pre-order it on bluray.

everything is so good and well done on this movies, everything is on point.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Saw this today.

Genuinely lost my shit and broke into laughter at
John and that other assassin just casually taking shots at each other walking in the subway and dodging bullets.

Really good sequel. I would rank both movies the same, the first one just seems better owing to it being as good as we were expecting.

Bring on Chapter 3 !

Saw the movie again with a friend (he didn't watch the first film) and it was a blast!! Seeing my friend gasp in awe when John does his stuff is refreshing.

The Rome Catacombs shootout is really impressive when you watch it the second time. Watching John switch from his rifle to pistol is pure joy.

Saw the movie again with a friend (he didn't watch the first film) and it was a blast!! Seeing my friend gasp in awe when John does his stuff is refreshing.

The Rome Catacombs shootout is really impressive when you watch it the second time. Watching John switch from his rifle to pistol is pure joy.
The shotgun reloading to quick pistol hip fire in the catacombs might be the (second) coolest moment of the movie.

Vinter

I liked it better than the first one actually. The movie may be lighter on story, but the action makes up for it as it is just crazy over the top. I went in without expectations because I honestly thought it would just be a cash-in sequel on the success of the first one. That whole shootout in Rome was just fucking fantastic. Well worth the ticket and one of my personal favourite sequels the later years.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Jon Wick should be in a modern day Assassin's Creed game lol

Why the hell did the Russians steal his car again lol

To get back to him
for killing his brother and nephew (the antagonists from the first movie).

BeeDog

My dad hadn't been to the cinema for years, so figured I'd go with him and watch this movie.

Goddamn it was good. The action is, most of the time, utterly incredible and so much more visceral and riveting than the first movie. Yet, I don't think this one reaches the levels of the first movie. First of all, the Russian opening with a dreadful Stormare could've been left out, there was no need to try to connect back to the movie with a meaningless retcon. Secondly, since the body count is ridiculous the lack of any police pretty much anywhere sticks out even more. And some of the more ridiculous scenes stood out as silly, e.g. (big spoilers)
the silencer shootout between John and Cassian, John's fight with that sumo guy and the very end where Swearengen 'control's the entire crowd.

Still, great movie and amazing, amazing action.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not as good as the first, but:

Action's on par. The nightclub scene in 1 is still king. The ending to 2 is much better. It's a great sequel.

I loved the expansion of the assassin's universe. Can't wait for 3.

To get back to him
for killing his brother and nephew (the antagonists from the first movie).
They never stole his car again. He just never got it back in the first movie.

He used the car given to him by Lovejoy. Was a great hook to reintroduce his unfinished business.

Alukus

Neo Member

Examples:

I completely agree. During the opening scene, I was afraid the movie was going to lean too hard into the jokes.

I liked the first movie's sense of humour. John's durability and his casual and polite demeanour during tense moments (ex. Speaking with Jimmy the officer, the guard at The Red Circle, and any interaction with the Sommelier) were fun. These moments were still tense, atmospheric and serious but the contrast with John's casual behaviour was an underlying humour, not the focus. However many scenes and moments in the second movie, performed strictly as jokes (Ex. mentioned in the quote by KraftyKrankins), and the focus seemed to be on the humour rather than tone with undercurrent of humour.

Not as good as the first, but:

Action's on par. The nightclub scene in 1 is still king.
I wouldnt say on par at all, the action is clearly elevated in every single way. I loved the nightclub scene in 2014 but the Rome concert into catacombs sequence blows it out of the water in every conceivable way for me. You can tell Keanu himself is like 3x better at quick shooting than he was in jw1, you just know the dood trained his ass off to make it look legit.

This movie!

I NEED MORE.

So good. Finally saw it on Friday.

The catacomb scene alone is worth the price of entry. When Wick picks up the Shotgun he hid earlier, oh man. That was just so good.

Cassian and Ares were dope characters as well. The middle finger during the catacombs scene got me good.

I think I like it more than the first one, honestly. Hard to say why, other than the action was even better. The sound design on the guns was top notch as well.

grendelrt

Anyone else notice the first movie opening he is pulling the car out into the rain and the second movie
he is putting it back in during the rain :)

TheTurboFD

Someone please help me find this jacket. I've been searching everywhere.

john-wick-chapter-2-movie-images-stills-common.jpg

Here's an interview from Empire Online with director Chad Stahelski. It answers a couple of questions people in this thread were asking, so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/john-wick-2-chad-stahelski/

Here's some choice snippets.

3. Despite that final scene, not everyone is an assassin

"Less than 0.5% of the population [are assassins], I would hope! It was probably everybody in that world in Central Park. John Wick just killed more than a hundred people, and [Ian McShane’s character] Winston was just laying down. But the people in the final shot in the parks – they're not all assassins. You just don't know. I like ambiguity. It's like that Invasion Of The Body Snatchers thing – you just don't know."

4. The gold coins have no fixed exchange rate

"People have been annoyed that we didn't explain the gold coins. You know what? I'm probably not gonna. They're currency. You don't explain the dollar bill! They’re a holdover from the Cold War where you couldn't do denominations. It's more of a membership card. If you don't have a gold coin, that's an identifier. If you pay in gold, they know you're OK, so it serves two purposes. We always approach it from a realistic point-of-view, even though it's completely absurd. We like visual storytelling, so gold coins is an entrance level thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom