• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
“Look, you could just be another girl saying the quippy lines, trying to be sexy, giving shit to John, and it's always going to fall false I think. But why don't you do sign language – and you'll be the action actor to sign language?”

Did we forget about Hammer Girl already? :(

Nielm

I just got back from watching this.

Holy shit, it was so good. The choreography, acting, dialogue, cinematography, you name it, it was all better than the first movie.
Though I don't think the club scene was topped.

I loved the scene where Cassian chased John Wick through the subway, and then they had a fight on the train. I also loved the scene in the 'Reflection Of Your Soul' NYC Art Exhibition.

I want the next one to take place in Asia.

Xun

I saw both this week and I must say the 2nd is the better film in my eyes.

That said they both compliment each other nicely and I look forward to the next one.

Accoun

So yeah, finally watched it. Just awesome. Not sure either if it's better than the first one, but it's easily on the same level.

Watching John switch from his rifle to pistol is pure joy.

Yeah, Keanu's gun trainer posted some videos of him training, including a run through the course. It was amazing to watch him train and repeat the stuff in the movie.

Sunster

Better than the first. Whole time I was thinking, "We need a prequel after this" But then that ending. No, we gotta know what happens next.

GhaleonEB

I'm still sad about
the death of the mute bodyguard/assassin. She was great. I wish he's pulled the knife to the side a bit and left her.

For a film that's pretty brutal and has a high body count, that's the only one that bothered me, and still does now that the initial glow of the film is past.

Zubz

Banned
Just saw this yesterday. I still can't tell if I like it more than the first, but I liked it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'm still sad about
the death of the mute bodyguard/assassin. She was great. I wish he's pulled the knife to the side a bit and left her.

For a film that's pretty brutal and has a high body count, that's the only one that bothered me, and still does now that the initial glow of the film is past.

I mean, we don't
actually see her stop breathing, right? It's an action movie. They can always BS their way around that. Rose was great as Ares; I was half-hoping she ends up taking up the remaining spot on the council.

Unless they got a fucking headshot they ain't dead

especially in a movie where everyone seems to get headshot.

I saw it two days ago. I kind of got irritated by the beginning where they re-use lots of the same lines from the first movie but that's a small complaint.

John's refusal of the marker seemed silly to me. I get why but the consequences seemed very clear before. He ended up getting stuck doing it regardless. I did like how there was a great sense of inevitability after that. Everything happens as expected, including the doublecross, but there just isn't any way to stop the chain of events. John is in his own tragedy.

Also really liked how unprepared John seemed to be about the ambush assassins (like the violin lady) and at the end of the movie, you see him realize what's about to happen.

I hope they don't dig too deep on the background of the counsel and Continental. The little touches of that world are perfect.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I want to see the behind the scenes making of the scene towards the end.
the scene in the 'Reflection Of Your Soul' NYC Art Exhibition.

The amount of clever camera trickery and
presumably CG mirroring
and such must be insane.

Zeta Oni

Yeah
Ruby Rose and Common are still alive in my mind. Just with gaping holes in their chests.

Common is almost certainly alive.
Ruby Rose is dead.

Wick made sure of that, and she did stop breathing.
And to be honest, I
enjoyed her death a lot more than it seems people here enjoyed it. Spent the whole movie signing shit, walking around like a badass despite doing nothing besides failing at her job, and then got dropped like the scrub she really was.

Now that Common vs John Wick scene? That's a fight.

What's worse is that I think she (Ruby Rose) has a better part in that godawful XXX movie from January than this. The sign language was cool and all, but that was her whole character.

Nah, John knifes with precision.

Precision where he has also left multiple people alive with knife wounds so we don't know if he spared her also. They can easily have her reappear if they feel like it without any suspension of disbelief because he's done it multiple times already.

Korigama

Though I liked it, I preferred the first one. Not interested in anything other than a Chapter 3 right now (not big on prequels/origin stories in general, and would rather see what's supposed to happen next).

Anarion07

Sooo (ending spoilers)

Why do so many people keep saying that everyone is an assassin at the end? Didn't look like that to me at all.

For me it was just a perfect visualisation of the paranoia that's kicking in.

Most of them are just people looking at a cool injured dude with a dog walking by. I'd stare too. And people get texts etc all the time so it's not necessarily one about him.

Just my thoughts

Edit: ok just saw the interview answers on the last page. Good.

Mifec

I saw John Wick 2 last week.

It made me think about why I liked john wick in the first place because this one was more visually and technically ambitious but I liked it less.

Ultimately "mob boss calls in blood debt then double crosses Wick who has to fight off assassins and kill boss to survive" may seem like a more complicated plot than "Wick hunts down and kills mobsters who killed his dog" but it's still not actually interesting by any means. There was a weirdly appealing childishness to the premise of the original John Wick. Plus you could really hate anyone who would kill a pupper. I didn't give a shit about this D'Antonio dude tho or his weirdly hot mute fem Bieber bodyguard.

John Wick going through the Russians like a hot knife through butter in the original made sense because he was on the attack and they didn't know where to look and couldn't see him coming. This time around it's John who's constantly on the defensive and he takes almost no precautions for like 30 minutes of runtime which lead to him getting for-real shot and stabbed in the abdomen multiple times, which in term stretches credulity to breaking point that he's still walking around and fighting. The catacombs shootout was like a bad remake of the club shootout. It wasn't visually clear and flowing because it was fought in almost total darkness and it had too much rapid cutting

That said the extended fight between Wick and Common had really great action choreo and was generally good eeeexcept for the very laughable and completely ridiculous bit where they are WALKING THROUGH A STATION and they're each holding a silenced pistol to the side and SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER but in like a surreptitious way. So it's like them taking potshots at each other while they walk and they keep missing because convenience (oh and also it makes the whole thing feel dumb and consequence-free which is not good). also they're...constantly surrounded by civilians...but they're still shooting at each other. They do that shit in a public square too. It's pretty fucking weird unless they're both total psychopaths or something and they're not.

There's actually a shit ton of seemingly intentional comedy mixed into this movie which i found kind of weird. i didn't actually dislike it because I did laugh but it definitely subtracted from the tension and the atmosphere that there was constantly something giggle worthy.

Anyway it does what it's supposed to do as an action movie and I guess it's pretty good but outside of the visuals and the above-average choreo (and stuntwork i guess, there's some good car stuff, although the amount of times wick gets hit by a car full-on and is totally fine also really makes the action feel weightless and meaningless), there's really nothing to it

John Wick kinda came out of nowhere because it was this extremely professionally-made and surprisingly pretty b-movie with a ridiculous plot dreamed up by a kid about a hitman who goes after the mob because they killed his dog, it felt unique. This doesn't really feel that way to me, it feels like a product.

RedSonja

Banned

It made me think about why I liked john wick in the first place because this one was more visually and technically ambitious but I liked it less.

Ultimately "mob boss calls in blood debt then double crosses Wick who has to fight off assassins and kill boss to survive" may seem like a more complicated plot than "Wick hunts down and kills mobsters who killed his dog" but it's still not actually interesting by any means. There was a weirdly appealing childishness to the premise of the original John Wick. Plus you could really hate anyone who would kill a pupper. I didn't give a shit about this D'Antonio dude tho or his weirdly hot mute fem Bieber bodyguard.

John Wick going through the Russians like a hot knife through butter in the original made sense because he was on the attack and they didn't know where to look and couldn't see him coming. This time around it's John who's constantly on the defensive and he takes almost no precautions for like 30 minutes of runtime which lead to him getting for-real shot and stabbed in the abdomen multiple times, which in term stretches credulity to breaking point that he's still walking around and fighting. The catacombs shootout was like a bad remake of the club shootout. It wasn't visually clear and flowing because it was fought in almost total darkness and it had too much rapid cutting

That said the extended fight between Wick and Common had really great action choreo and was generally good eeeexcept for the very laughable and completely ridiculous bit where they are WALKING THROUGH A STATION and they're each holding a silenced pistol to the side and SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER but in like a surreptitious way. So it's like them taking potshots at each other while they walk and they keep missing because convenience (oh and also it makes the whole thing feel dumb and consequence-free which is not good). also they're...constantly surrounded by civilians...but they're still shooting at each other. They do that shit in a public square too. It's pretty fucking weird unless they're both total psychopaths or something and they're not.

There's actually a shit ton of seemingly intentional comedy mixed into this movie which i found kind of weird. i didn't actually dislike it because I did laugh but it definitely subtracted from the tension and the atmosphere that there was constantly something giggle worthy.

Anyway it does what it's supposed to do as an action movie and I guess it's pretty good but outside of the visuals and the above-average choreo (and stuntwork i guess, there's some good car stuff, although the amount of times wick gets hit by a car full-on and is totally fine also really makes the action feel weightless and meaningless), there's really nothing to it

John Wick kinda came out of nowhere because it was this extremely professionally-made and surprisingly pretty b-movie with a ridiculous plot dreamed up by a kid about a hitman who goes after the mob because they killed his dog, it felt unique. This doesn't really feel that way to me, it feels like a product.

Oi, Speilberg, it's just a movie. Chilax in the corner, bro.

Risible

I'm personally​ tired of Sam Jackson being Sam Jackson in everything he's in. Please keep him away from Chapter 3.

What? Dude has huge range. There's are movies where people have no idea it's even him, like Goodfellas. He plays SLJ because directors WANT him to do that.

Oi, Speilberg, it's just a movie. Chilax in the corner, bro.

Well, he's right about a lot of that stuff. Part 2 is filled with stuff like Wick killing tons of henchmen and destroying his car in the process (you know, the thing he actually came for) and then getting to the boss and suddenly calling a truce. Huh??

The first movie had a nice consistent internal logical sense to it, the second is full of stuff that seems half-baked at best.

What? Dude has huge range. There's are movies where people have no idea it's even him, like Goodfellas. He plays SLJ because directors WANT him to do that.

Well, he's right about a lot of that stuff. Part 2 is filled with stuff like Wick killing tons of henchmen and destroying his car in the process (you know, the thing he actually came for) and then getting to the boss and suddenly calling a truce. Huh??

The first movie had a nice consistent internal logical sense to it, the second is full of stuff that seems half-baked at best.

The car wasn't the sole reason, it was mostly what was in the car's glovebox as I understood it.

Also, if he kills the boss then he potentially opens it up for someone up the chain the come after him. The truce makes sense as he got what he came for and wants to be done with that life again.

TheKeyPit

Banned
^
His car got rammed by multiple cars. It was already doomed, so he started using it as a weapon. He had no reason to kill that russian boss.

^
His car got rammed by multiple cars. It was already doomed, so he started using it as a weapon. He had no reason to kill that russian boss.

And even though it's not spelled out, none of the Russian boss's goons fired a shot. They wanted to beat the crap out of him, but not kill him. John Wick is the only one who pulled out a gun to shoot the big guy's knees. That's probably why he let the Russian guy live. Mutual respect.

Mifec

It's a comic book movie

No really, these movies take place in a stylized over-the-top reality like an adaptation of a graphic novel (that doesn't exist). That's the vibe and atmosphere the directors are going for

You do realize that that's no excuse or defense for any of my criticism?

The movie constantly hammers home how much John cherishes every thing his wife left him, which is the driving force behind the first film. The car was important because of what was in the glovebox.

I feel like we saw completely different movies. We're talking about a movie that exists in a world where an assassin jumps on stage during a concert and murders a man in front of hundreds of people and they cheer! a world where a fat assassin gets shot in the head and...continues fighting. This isn't reality, it's hyperreal/heightened reality. That scene where Common and Wick stealthily trade fire is friggin' hilarious and I love everything about it.

I also thought the catacombs was on an entirely different level than the club scene, the sheer choreography in that sequence was staggering.

Edit: just saw this
You do realize that that's no excuse or defense for any of my criticism?

It absolutely does, half of the critique is about the movie not meeting you're expectation of realism, when that's not at all the direction they were going in.

Some recent news. The movie will be released on Digital HD on May 23rd, and on Blu-Ray, 4K Ultra HD, and DVD a couple weeks later on June 13th.

I can't wait to see this movie again. So good, and even with other good films having come out since then, it's probably still my favourite film of the year so far.

Some recent news. The movie will be released on Digital HD on May 23rd, and on Blu-Ray, 4K Ultra HD, and DVD a couple weeks later on June 13th.

I can't wait to see this movie again. So good, and even with other good films having come out since then, it's probably still my favourite film of the year so far.

And I'll buy it both digital and Blu. Can't wait.

valeo

I liked the first John Wick, but wasn't quite as blown away as most other people.

However, I finally saw John Wick 2 last night (just released in Australia..) and holy shit; this may be one of my favourite action movies of all time. It knows it's ridiculous and takes that ridiculousness up to 11. I feel like anyone complaining about the surreal aspects are kind of missing the point of these movies..?

Did anyone else get a 'Hitman' vibe? This is a video game ass movie.

I liked the first John Wick, but wasn't quite as blown away as most other people.

However, I finally saw John Wick 2 last night (just released in Australia..) and holy shit; this may be one of my favourite action movies of all time. It knows it's ridiculous and takes that ridiculousness up to 11. I feel like anyone complaining about the surreal aspects are kind of missing the point of these movies..?

Did anyone else get a 'Hitman' vibe? This is a video game ass movie.

I get a Hotline: Miami vibe, but I definitely see where someone could find similarities to Hitman. The sequence in Rome felt like it was straight out of one of those games. The first movie reminds me of HM considering the villains are all Russians wearing a recognizable garb (black suit with red dress shirt) and the way the kickass music accents the brilliant and smart action scenes. And in JW 2, he even throws his gun a couple times to stun the enemy, which is a major mechanic in HM 1 & 2.

Anyway, glad to hear you liked it.

valeo

I was expecting him to chuck a can of spaghetti at someone.

I very rarely come out of movies these days and exclaim 'that was awesome' - this was definitely one of those times. I feel like you can't do these kinds of action movies completely straight anymore. It comes off as garish. So I really love how this movie has just the right amount of nods and winks to the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom