• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
I have to join the chorus of vehemently disagreeing.
John Wick was a fantastic surprise when it came out and instantly became one of my favourite ever action movies. I could happily watch it most days and enjoy the thrill just as much as the first time. The choreography and staging of the action scenes is way beyond anything The Equalizer achieved. As is the the use of their strange mystical assassins underworld that spices up the revenge plot.
I didn't honestly find The Equalizer anything more than a big standard flick and doubt I'd watch the sequel.

Slightly more on topic I'm so pumped for Chapter Two. I was really worried it wouldn't live up to the first film but from the reviews it sounds like it's at least close enough.

strong disagree. like I said GAF has romanticized the movie to a higher level than it should be.

as this is coming from guy who watched john wick in theatres and the equalizer on redbox.

strong disagree. like I said GAF has romanticized the movie to a higher level than it should be.
Yes, GAF is the only place that "romanticized" the movie, just like it romanticized The Raid and Fury Road and other popular recent action movies that a lot of people consider the best action movies of the last few years.

Are you sure you aren't romanticizing Equalizer?

TheFlow

Banned
Yes, GAF is the only place that "romanticized" the movie, just like it romanticized The Raid and Fury Road and other popular recent action movies that a lot of people consider the best action movies of the last few years.

Are you sure you aren't romanticizing Equalizer?

nah. Equalizer wouldn't even grace my top 25. just thought it was a better movie.

but is it a John Wick OT so I expect the opinions to be more skewed

JTripper

Got access to a preview screening of this tonight without having seen the first one, so I watched the first last night and thought it was a pretty fun movie. The action was fine but what pulled me into the world was the subtlety in introducing us into the weird assassin underworld mythos. That shit was cool.

Hearing chapter 2 is over-the-top and crazy makes me excited to watch it tonight. Will share impression later.

sirap

Hey, you're in Malaysia? Off-topic, I'm here on holiday with family. It's been awesome, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Selangor, and tomorrow we're heading to Langkawi. But going back to UK on 11th, so will get to see it at least on the 17th :p

Nice.

Hope the family has fun in Langkawi. Definitely take cable car and visit the skybridge!

What? Neo and Morpheus teamed back again?? take my money!

484.jpg

Blader

I need to rewatch the first movie. What a fun action flick. Glad to hear the sequel delivers too, though I'm wary about praise from Peter "Get my quotes on TV!" Travers.

Foggy

as this is coming from guy who watched john wick in theatres and the equalizer on redbox.

This may come as a shock, but John Wick us fiercely celebrated outside of GAF, too.

Loxley

Based on the reviews I've read so far, it sounds like the action is even better in than the first film. Fuckin' hell man, can it just be Friday? Also, this makes me even more excited for Deadpool 2.

As much as I loved The Equalizer, its pacing was just entirely off compared to John Wick. You could trim a solid 20 minutes from that film and it would improve it so much. As for John Wick, there was absolutely no fat to it. It was a lean film that worked perfectly.

John Wick's pacing is one of it's greatest strengths. After Wick's car is stolen and his dog dies, the movie just goes non-stop and never lets off the brakes until the end. But it's done in such a way that the action doesn't completely exhaust the viewer.

no duh? peoeple were starving
Starving after Dredd, The Raid 1 and 2, Fast & Furious, Olympus Has Fallen, Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, and The Equalizer?

I mean, Raid 2, Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, and Equalizer came out in the same year. All before John Wick

I almost had an epilepsy attack with so many cuts.
Also that entire action scene is less than a minute long. It's pretty much the best scene in the movie, but it's so short

TheFlow

Banned
Starving after Dredd, The Raid 1 and 2, Fast & Furious, Olympus Has Fallen, Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, and The Equalizer?

I mean, Raid 2, Winter Soldier, Edge of Tomorrow, and Equalizer came out in the same year. All before John Wick

all better movies too.

and ew why is Olympus has fallen in that sentence.

John wick is the la la land fiasco. People cling to when there were better movies in the same year

what an exaggerated post. once the action starts it is as smooth as Wick's.

I guess you never watched The bourne and Bond movies or you wouldn't even be with us today.

Yeah, it was hyperbole. But I just believe that an action scene that has like 7 cuts in 10 seconds can never be good as a good coreographed scene with minimal cuts.

Is what sets truly good action movies apart from each other. That's why John Wick and others are on another level.

I liked equalizer but not as much as John Wick.

the action in wick is so much more exciting imo. I don't think it's up there with the gawds but I'm still hyped as hell for the sequel. Hopefully they go easy on the judo and just have him sticking with the guns.

Edit: I'll give you raid 2 and maaaybe edge of tomorrow. But no chance in hell is captain America or equalizer better than wick haha

nah. Equalizer wouldn't even grace my top 25. just thought it was a better movie.

but is it a John Wick OT so I expect the opinions to be more skewed

Sure, opinion can be skewed, so here is my thought on where Equalizer fell short of everything compared to John Wick and charmisa of Denzel Washington was put into the gutter in a John Wick OT.

The faults of Equalizer is that although it had more budget than John Wick, it still managed to look likes straight to dvd movie. The pacing of Equalizer was crap, the buildup to finale was poor and the finale itself was awful granting nothing to save itself of being a poor movie. I grant you the finale of John Wick was not great, awful too, however the movie up until that point was phenomenal.

The thing with movies like Equalizer/John Wicks, that they will fall flat if the mc -main character- of the movie is not protrayed as "fearsome", or "badass". Equalizer protrayed the mc's "badassery" in maybe two scene, near the middle of the movie when he goes to the club and the finale. Everything in between was just drama of the mc being an old man, not a whole lot of backstory or worlding building was happening if any was. To me, the mc of Equalizer was this old dude, who knew all this shit, because he is this dude who did highly classified shit as a black ops, nothing else. Whereas John Wick had the world building, the badassery of John Wick and his legend being drop here and there in the movie, with nice actions consistently until the final.

Sure Equalizer is not on even in your top 25 movies, and that you found Equalizer a better movie, that perfectly acceptable. However I found Equalizer to be one of the most wasted movie ever, it had everything going for it, but fall hella short of executions on all things. And in my "opinion", Equalizer due to the failing of execution of concept, story, pacing, etc...is in gutter trash movie, where John Wick is a Oscar Worthy Movie in terms of relative.

TheFlow

Banned
I liked equalizer but not as much as John Wick.

the action in wick is so much more exciting imo. I don't think it's up there with the gawds but I'm still hyped as hell for the sequel. Hopefully they go easy on the judo and just have him sticking with the guns.

Edit: I'll give you raid 2 and maaaybe edge of tomorrow. But no chance in hell is captain America or equalizer better than wick haha

amen. the judo stuff felt too stiff. I binged watched a lot of martial arts movies that year and I noticed Reeves moves like that in Man of Tai Chi.

I can live with people liking wick way more than equalizer. But Winter Soldier you will have to accept my rumblr request

TheFlow

Banned
Sure, opinion can be skewed, so here is my thought on where Equalizer fell short of everything compared to John Wick and charmisa of Denzel Washington was put into the gutter in a John Wick OT.

The faults of Equalizer is that although it had more budget than John Wick, it still managed to look likes straight to dvd movie. The pacing of Equalizer was crap, the buildup to finale was poor and the finale itself was awful granting nothing to save itself of being a poor movie. I grant you the finale of John Wick was not great, awful too, however the movie up until that point was phenomenal.

The thing with movies like Equalizer/John Wicks, that they will fall flat if the mc -main character- of the movie is not protrayed as "fearsome", or "badass". Equalizer protrayed the mc's "badassery" in maybe two scene, near the middle of the movie when he goes to the club and the finale. Everything in between was just drama of the mc being an old man, not a whole lot of backstory or worlding building was happening if any was. To me, the mc of Equalizer was this old dude, who knew all this shit, because he is this dude who did highly classified shit as a black ops, nothing else. Whereas John Wick had the world building, the badassery of John Wick and his legend being drop here and there in the movie, with nice actions consistently until the final.

Sure Equalizer is not on even in your top 25 movies, and that you found Equalizer a better movie, that perfectly acceptable. However I found Equalizer to be one of the most wasted movie ever, it had everything going for it, but fall hella short of executions on all things. And in my "opinion", Equalizer due to the failing of execution of concept, story, pacing, etc...is in gutter trash movie, where John Wick is a Oscar Worthy Movie in terms of relative.

you argued some good points that I have to respect up to till the bolded. because that is just lol.

I liked Equalizer's finale way more than Wick's.

edit: sorry Mods for the double post.

It's remarkable how dismissive you are. Just accept you're an outlier. It's not a big deal, but you're fighting a bizarre fight.
nobody is fighting. just said I prefer Equalizer over Wick. Though I am an outlier because I am in a Wick hype thread lol

you argued some good points that I have to respect up to till the bolded. because that is just lol.

I liked Equalizer's finale way more than Wick's.

edit: sorry Mods for the double ost

I agree, it might be even hyperbolic for me write that, I guess that I was trying to point out that for me, Equalizer is not even in the same spectrum as John Wick for me. Agree to disagree.

Foggy

nobody is fighting. just said I prefer Equalizer over Wick. Though I am an outlier because I am in a Wick hype thread lol

You're an outlier because you were convinced that only GAF has romanticized it. Then you're also an outlier because you think it's only because people were starved for decent action. You're projecting your preference and painting genuine love and admiration for the film as something other than the film in and of itself. It's misguided, dismissive, and pointless.

TheFlow

Banned
You're an outlier because you were convinced that only GAF has romanticized it. Then you're also an outlier because you think it's only because people were starved for decent action. You're projecting your preference and painting genuine love and admiration for the film as something other than the film in and of itself. It's misguided, dismissive, and pointless.
I didn't say only GAF though. I have argued my points respectfully.

I am not stating my opinion is fact. I know it is an opinion like everyone else's

kevin1025

Banned
Got my ticket for Friday morning at 11:30. The early hour will not stop me!

And since before noon showtimes are $7.50, and I had a $5 promo thing, $2.50 for Wick 2 is the best deal.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn, looks like John Wick 2 is on smaller screens only, guess it is not expected to be that popular here. A shame that... Oh, well.

I sometimes wonder how long it took them to shoot this fucking thing from a billion angles.

best part is it cuts from him landing on his feet to him on the ground making it look like he ate it lol. I always thought they need to cut when the actors aren't fighters so they can't really get a convincing flow so the the cuts help cover up stuff and give perceived impacts for the blows. For Taken 3 it's because it's hard to gracefully and speedily climb a tall fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom