• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Dredd 3D

Some fuck, its a judge! or fuck its Dredd! moments. Plus the way he carries himself throughout. Aint no chump.

Dredd was great but i'm not sure it quite managed to portray Dredds reputation like John Wick shows Wick's.
But Dredd is impeccable, certainly.

Terminator/2 could fit the bill.

Kvik

Aussies got shafted again.

[John Wick 2] also hasn't been classified by Australia's Classification Board, and it appears that it hasn't been submitted for review in the first place; the Board didn't respond to a request for comment by the time of publication. We're probably in for a longer wait than we'd like to see John Wick 2 in Australian cinemas, if we see it at all.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/where-is-john-wick-2-australia-demands-answers/

Bloody idiots. Next they'll complain about piracy because reasons.

Glad it seems pretty good so far. TBH was worried the action would be decent but not as crazy or varied as the first one.

I'm also lowkey sick of the ads, I mean I hope it does good and that Lego Batman doesn't smash the shit out of it but if I hear Laurence's "get this man a..." line one more time...

carlsojo

Glad it seems pretty good so far. TBH was worried the action would be decent but not as crazy or varied as the first one.

I'm also lowkey sick of the ads, I mean I hope it does good and that Lego Batman doesn't smash the shit out of it but if I hear Laurence's "get this man a..." line one more time...

SOMEBODY PLEASE!
GET. this man. a. gun.

JohnWick2Poster002020417-337x500.jpg

Sorry if it's been posted and I missed it but have reviews come out for this yet?

Loved the first one and want to know if it recaptures the same magic.

John Wick was one of the best mainstream films of that year, and in some ways it reoriented the scale by which American action films should be measured. This year with John Wick: Chapter 2, the scale gets broken, set on fire, and the ashes get shot to smithereens. It’s one of the most deliriously fun and gorgeously stylish action films I’ve ever seen; what you might get if Michael Mann, Walter Hill, Buster Keaton, Bugs Bunny, Shane Black, and Wong Kar-Wai teamed up to remake The Raid. John Wick: Chapter 2 is so gleefully over the top that we officially need a new definition for “the top.”
It’s one of the best action films I’ve ever seen, so I would definitely say that it’s essential.

Now I'm even more pissed that it's probably not coming to Aus.

I need to watch the first damn movie.

Guys, I want to watch it with my fiancee because I know she would love the movie itself but she can't watch a dog getting hurt.

Someone spoil the dog stuff in the first movie for me. Does it blatantly show the dog die? Do we see it happen again in flashbacks throughout the movie?

But can watch people get hurt. Mad.

To call these thunderous sequences thrilling is to understate the case. Reeves trained for weeks in judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and it shows. Stahelski, who started as Reeves' stunt double on the Matrix films, has a keen eye for how action defines character. Working with the gifted cinematographer Dan Laustsen (Crimson Peak), whose neon lighting is perversely seductive, the director fills every inch of his dazzling widescreen compositions. No hollow digital dazzle, green-screen trickery or caffeinated editing, just long takes of actors moving with artful precision and grace. Reeves, a throwback to the great Hong Kong action stars, is poetry in bruising motion. He's a cowboy. He's a samurai. He's rock and roll.
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-john-wick-chapter-2-movie-review-w465210

Abelard

Good to see it's reviewing well, first one was one of the best action movies ever, glad to know it wasn't a fluke. They need more sense like the club one, ie fights/assassinations in public spaces, kind of like Hitman.

"To call these thunderous sequences thrilling is to understate the case. Reeves trained for weeks in judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and it shows. Stahelski, who started as Reeves' stunt double on the Matrix films, has a keen eye for how action defines character. Working with the gifted cinematographer Dan Laustsen (Crimson Peak), whose neon lighting is perversely seductive, the director fills every inch of his dazzling widescreen compositions. No hollow digital dazzle, green-screen trickery or caffeinated editing, just long takes of actors moving with artful precision and grace. Reeves, a throwback to the great Hong Kong action stars, is poetry in bruising motion. He's a cowboy. He's a samurai. He's rock and roll."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-john-wick-chapter-2-movie-review-w465210

Damn, Peter Travers! so this should tide me over until Raid 3.

That seals it. Will wait for the UHD HDR disc to drop. I'll buy 15 copies to compensate for skipping the theatrical release (which will probably be censored to hell in Malaysia)
Hey, you're in Malaysia? Off-topic, I'm here on holiday with family. It's been awesome, Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Selangor, and tomorrow we're heading to Langkawi. But going back to UK on 11th, so will get to see it at least on the 17th :p

TheFlow

Banned
John wick was a solid movie but GAF has romanticized this more than any other movie I have seen lately.

Equalizer was the better action movie that year.

Hyped for the sequel though because dueling Common is hype

gamz

To call these thunderous sequences thrilling is to understate the case. Reeves trained for weeks in judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and it shows. Stahelski, who started as Reeves' stunt double on the Matrix films, has a keen eye for how action defines character. Working with the gifted cinematographer Dan Laustsen (Crimson Peak), whose neon lighting is perversely seductive, the director fills every inch of his dazzling widescreen compositions. No hollow digital dazzle, green-screen trickery or caffeinated editing, just long takes of actors moving with artful precision and grace. Reeves, a throwback to the great Hong Kong action stars, is poetry in bruising motion. He's a cowboy. He's a samurai. He's rock and roll. What are you waiting for? And when do we get Chapter 3?

Gimme!!!!!

John wick was a solid movie but GAF has romanticized this more than any other movie I have seen lately.

What are your criteria for a good action movie?

Equalizer is good and Densel kicking ass is always great. But the villains don't stand out in any way and the all the action in John Wick is miles better than Equalizer.

I liked Equalizer, but it doesn't even compare. Denzel is always awesome to watch, he had some cool action scenes, but overall the pacing was a tad too slow, and the entire plot was so bog standard to the point of dullness. Denzel elevated the whole thing; without him, Equalizer isn't anything special

Wick had style to spare, a unique take on the genre in how it cemented the character as someone even the bad guys are scared shitless of, intriguing and subtle world-building, and infinitely more interesting action than anything in Equalizer

TheFlow

Banned
Equalizer doesn't even compare? lol wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28SoWEnPHY

the only thing I will agree with is the bad guys were definitely more interesting in John wick. but Equalizer still had style.

hell Denzel's character was also a living legend in the movie.

What are your criteria for a good action movie?

Equalizer is good and Densel kicking ass is always great. But the villains don't stand out in any way and the all the action in John Wick is miles better than Equalizer.
What does my criteria for a good action movie has to do with this.

John Wick is not miles better.

as other fans of the genre have said. people have been craving a legit action movie for a while and John Wick happened to scratch that nick.

JdFoX187

Banned
As much as I loved The Equalizer, its pacing was just entirely off compared to John Wick. You could trim a solid 20 minutes from that film and it would improve it so much. As for John Wick, there was absolutely no fat to it. It was a lean film that worked perfectly.

Equalizer doesn't even compare? lol wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y28SoWEnPHY

the only thing I will agree with is the bad guys were definitely more interesting in John wick. but Equalizer still had style.

hell Denzel's character was also a living legend in the movie.

Yeah, like I said, Equalizer had some good scenes, like that one and the hardware store finale.

But the rest of the action was not as good as those two, and overall the movie was pretty standard. The whole movie rested on Denzel's acting and presence; if not for him, it would be a pretty forgettable movie IMO

But Denzel's character was no more of a "living legend" than most action movie heroes. Same vein as Taken. We know he's a badass, we get a few scenes where other people says he's a badass, but of course the bad guys are mostly oblivious, or underestimate him, or think they're unstoppable.

So like I said, doesn't even compare to John Wick

Muitnorts

I have to join the chorus of vehemently disagreeing.
John Wick was a fantastic surprise when it came out and instantly became one of my favourite ever action movies. I could happily watch it most days and enjoy the thrill just as much as the first time. The choreography and staging of the action scenes is way beyond anything The Equalizer achieved. As is the the use of their strange mystical assassins underworld that spices up the revenge plot.
I didn't honestly find The Equalizer anything more than a big standard flick and doubt I'd watch the sequel.

Slightly more on topic I'm so pumped for Chapter Two. I was really worried it wouldn't live up to the first film but from the reviews it sounds like it's at least close enough.

as other fans of the genre have said. people have been craving a legit action movie for a while and John Wick happened to scratch that nick.

Because depending on what you look for in an action movie, people might not see the two movies in the same way.

I said the action in John Wick is miles better. If you put action over the charisma of the lead, then the action in John Wick puts Equalizer to shame. However, in terms of charisma, Keanu can't compare to Denzel. Both movies had lots of style.

Foggy

Yeah, Equalizer doesn't even compare. The creativity, mechanics, rhythm, style, and execution of John Wick's action is peerless(at least stateside). Action isn't the end all be all, but for genre films, if you exhibit exceptional genre standards then you're in rarified air.

Meier

I was very nervous that they had embargoed the reviews but it sounds like a real gem. Have my ticket to see it on Thursday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom