• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stone Ocean started in January 2000 - about exactly 13 years into JoJo's run, a few years after One Piece began, a few months after Naruto, and 10 months after Vento Aureo ended (thus the first real hiatus Araki had taken during JoJo??).

StayDead

Up to the part with Doppio and most likely the full introduction of the Boss and King Crimson within the next few chapters. (he's said he's on his way).

This has been insane. I love it. Metallica is an gruesome stand, damn!

Up to the part with Doppio and most likely the full introduction of the Boss and King Crimson within the next few chapters. (he's said he's on his way).

This has been insane. I love it. Metallica is an gruesome stand, damn!
Ring a ling a ling a ling a ling. Ring a ling a ling a ling. *snatches ice cream cone from girl* hello. Boss. "Looooooaaaaaaddddd" that fight is great. You're going to love a fight after that too.

Tizoc

Yo Jaded, remember that one part where Giorno was all like "I shall give life to this piece of rock and it shall become a python whose venom will cure me from this other killer venom I have breathed in because antibodies"

Yo Jaded, remember that one part where Giorno was all like "I shall give life to this piece of rock and it shall become a python whose venom will cure me from this other killer venom I have breathed in because antibodies"
Yes...Stone Free creates string...I highly doubt I'm going to be flipping my shit over what it does. Still have to experience Gold Experience Requiem though. On the real though Giorno turning wood back into a bullet and then into a motherfucking stag beetle is on the real some GOAT shit.

Yes...Stone Free creates string...I highly doubt I'm going to be flipping my shit over what it does. Still have to experience Gold Experience Requiem though. On the real though Giorno turning wood back into a bullet and then into a motherfucking stag beetle is on the real some GOAT shit.

Jolyne isn't as ridiculous as Giorno (who's on some 10 year old level of making up powers), but she does a LOT of cool shit with her stand.

Jolyne isn't as ridiculous as Giorno (who's on some 10 year old level of making up powers), but she does a LOT of cool shit with her stand.
I can't wait for her first real stand battle. I don't count what's going on with Guess yet. I'm at the part where she's trying to escape and she Ora'd the shit out of Guess cause the woman don't know when to shut the fuck up. How dare she try to talk trash after getting her face broken two minutes ago.

caliph95

Dofflamingo (to small extent Spiderman) shows you can do a lot with string though JoJo would probably be more "grounded in it's abilities
I can't wait for her first real stand battle. I don't count what's going on with Guess yet. I'm at the part where she's trying to escape and she Ora'd the shit out of Guess cause the woman don't know when to shut the fuck up. How dare she try to talk trash after getting her face broken two minutes ago.
Yeah that's a warm up and Gwess is the worst cell mate , i do love how she treats Jolyne as a queen later one

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Araki got away with a literal masturbation joke in Shounen Jump, a magazine aimed at teenagers and children.

And he should've moved to Jump's seinen magazine since that probably tanked its popularity, heh.

Stone Ocean was still probably better than whatever else was running along with it in Shonen Jump.

Stone Ocean started around the same time One Piece and Naruto did, iirc.
When Stone Ocean started Luffy was entering the grandline, Naruto was heading to the Land of Waves, and Gon was leaving for Yorknew City.

More importantly, 2000 was the year Shonen Jump's sales finally plateaued after losing an unprecedented half of their subscription base over 3-4 years due to Dragonball and Slam Dunk ending. So I imagine they were were in panic mode and willing to let anything slide if it meant an increase in sales (One Piece and Naruto ultimately stemmed the tide, though the sales have still steadily decreased due to the market place changing so drastically).

StayDead

Holy shit! Just got to the bit with the helicopter and the branch.

I've not finished reading the conclusion, but sex pistols continues to be my favourite stand. They're Speedwagon in stand form, I love them!

Also, what they do with that bullet is incredible. That has to be the hypest thing ever in Jojos. It's so dumb, but it's so cool!

caliph95

I've not finished reading the conclusion, but sex pistols continues to be my favourite stand. They're Speedwagon in stand form, I love them!

Also, what they do with that bullet is incredible. That has to be the hypest thing ever in Jojos. It's so dumb, but it's so cool!

That's our JoJo

Giorno vs green day is awesome. The doctor guy reminded me of the one from Yu Yu Hakusho. My favorite stand oddly is Aerosmith, but Sex Pistols is also great.

Vento Aureo definitely has some of the best fights in the series.

It's the action movie Jojo.
Yeah it's very fun. I can't believe people didn't enjoy this, even with the bad translation. I guess since Giorno is the most subtle Jojo you're not going to appreciate him if you can't understand what the hell he's even talking about, especially with how Gold Experience works.

cntr

Banned
also on a (not so?) unrelated note, remember when a bunch of models did Jojo characters?

DC6_L_4XUAEVsmG.jpg
DC6_NSeXkAAWU96.jpg

DC6_Oc8XcAAnIRu.jpg
DC6_QNlWAAIeXvR.jpg

DC6_q-CXYAALxBb.jpg
DC6_sZZXcAAzodv.jpg

DC6_vGsXsAA6IrZ.jpg
DC6_0dHWsAAxSNC.jpg

DC_kWnrXkAAgc2w.jpg

caliph95

Yeah it's very fun. I can't believe people didn't enjoy this, even with the bad translation. I guess since Giorno is the most subtle Jojo you're not going to appreciate him if you can't understand what the hell he's even talking about, especially with how Gold Experience works.
From what i heard the bad translation also ruined the personalities of characters and made Giorno a lot more stoic and thus dull so all you had was good fights, confusing explanations and bad/boring characters

cntr

Banned
The image quality was also total garbage.

Did you know that the old translation didn't even have Narancia's stand cry? Confused place names in Venice with places in Vienna? It was that bad.

caliph95

Did you know that the old translation didn't even have Narancia's stand cry? Confused place names in Venice with places in Vienna? It was that bad.
Why the hell wouldn't you even add that that is ridcolous

Never read both but is it worse or better than duwang

cntr

Banned
Infinitely worse than Duwang.

Part 4's original translation was done from Chinese by a Chinese fan of Jojo who wanted an English speaking friend of his to enjoy it -- so it's actually mostly accurate, it's just written in awful English.

Part 5's translation was done from Chinese by an English speaker who didn't actually speak Chinese. So whenever he didn't understand anything, he just covered his tracks and made something up. That's why the personalities get reduced down to nothing, he rewrote his bad translations into decent English. (And the Chinese translation probably wasn't that great, either.)

So e.g., either Narancia's stand shout was dropped from the Chinese translation, or more likely, the English translator didn't realize the Chinese characters were supposed to be transcribing "vola" and just left it out because it confused him. Similarly, he misread the Chinese transcription of "Venice" with "Vienna", and bullshitted it up by (e.g.) seeing a word for "river" and then going "okay, I don't want to check my dictionary, so it's the Danube River, obviously".

Astral

WAAAAAANAAAABEEEEEEE is my favorite. Definitely gonna start reading the new translation next week. It'll be my first Jojo in color too.

cntr

Banned
Part 7 has a good colorization, but it's really meant to be read in black and white. Part 4, 5, and 6, though yeah, go for color.

I'm just sitting here trying to find that gif of that Jpop boy band dressed as Jojo characters in concert and can't find it, it just cracks me up.

It also translated "ARI ARI ARI ARI ARI" as
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Breads

Banned

It's not just bad.

A lot of it was guess work from incomplete translations or worse, absolutely made-up bullshit.

The only way you would get the right idea is if you read it yourself. That said I'm finally going to give the updated version a read. I am so excited to read the "real" version of VA!

From the pics above I've always wondered who this is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC6_vGsXsAA6IrZ.jpg

They are the only one I don't recognize.

I'd argue that some b/w pages look better than some color pages, especially in part 7.

Man. Bruh.

I will never get why people say this about part 7's color work. It made it so much more enjoyable. Night looked like night... snow looked like snow... and so on. It sold the travel aspect much better than b/w ever could and to me that counts for a lot. No it's not pinup quality colors but for comics its actually pretty above average when considering the sheer scope of it all.

It's not just bad.

A lot of it was guess work from incomplete translations or worse, absolutely made-up bullshit.

The only way you would get the right idea is if you read it yourself. That said I'm finally going to give the updated version a read. I am so excited to read the "real" version of VA!

From the pics above I've always wondered who this is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DC6_vGsXsAA6IrZ.jpg

They are the only one I don't recognize.
I didn't recognize that one either. Are the last two Green Day and Oasis? You should have a lot of fun with VA. It doesn't have the most boisterous or over the top Jojo, but Giorno isn't bad, he's just...well he's Dio. Polite and proper and all, but piss him off and he'll fuck your shit up royally, which I think got evidenced the further in VA went.

I will never get why people say this about part 7's color work. It made it so much more enjoyable. Night looked like night... snow looked like snow... and so on. It sold the travel aspect much better than b/w ever could and to me that counts for a lot. No it's not pinup quality colors but for comics its actually pretty above average when considering the sheer scope of it all.

I have to agree with this, even with the already better artwork being more comprehensible panel-to-panel (imo compared to VA and SO)

Every volume for Parts 1-6, there seems to be at least one chapter with extra shading put to it. Those are the ones which I think deserve to be read in B & W, since it seems that those extra-shaded ones were colored over as if they were no different from any other chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom