• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
I didn't recognize that one either. Are the last two Green Day and Oasis? You should have a lot of fun with VA. It doesn't have the most boisterous or over the top Jojo, but Giorno isn't bad, he's just...well he's Dio. Polite and proper and all, but piss him off and he'll fuck your shit up royally, which I think got evidenced the further in VA went.

Hermes Costello from Stone Ocean and J Geil's stand Hanged Man or Kars. Can't say for sure.

In the group shot it's that questionable character and Akira Otoishi.

Also I read VA already. Old translation though. I've been waiting for the updated translation to be complete before rereading it.

Hermes Costello from Stone Ocean and J Geil's stand Hanged Man or Kars. Can't say for sure.

In the group shot it's that questionable character and Akira Otoishi.

Also I read VA already. Old translation though. I've been waiting for the updated translated to be complete before rereading it.
It supposedly should be done on Tuesday. I'm waiting for the end to see some Requiem stand bullshit since I have no idea what the fuck Gold Experience Requiem does.

Breads

Banned
So it's more broken than King Crimson or does it make less sense than King Crimson?

Is King Crimson broken? Its punches are physically strong, maybe even the strongest, but it's actual ability is very situational. It's mostly used as a reaction to something else.

Is King Crimson broken? Its punches are physically strong, maybe even the strongest, but it's actual ability is very situational. It's mostly used as a reaction to something else.
It has like a one hit kill and can predict and undo events ten seconds into the future. Risotto Nero could and should have killed Doppio, but nope, the bullets got phased out. It just seems like in order for you to win against it you have to pre plan your moves like 20 seconds in advance.

Breads

Banned
It has like a one hit kill and can predict and undo events ten seconds into the future. Risotto Nero could and should have killed Doppio, but nope, the bullets got phased out. It just seems like in order for you to win against it you have to pre plan your moves like 20 seconds in advance.

It doesn't undo events. It gives Diavolo the ability to physically circumvent causality in limited ways. It's like time freezing for him alone and the universe going on autopilot for however long it is activated leaving Diavolo as the only person who is able to affect any change. A supplementary ability being the ability to see a bit into the future.

If he sees someone about to shoot him he can "freeze" time (superimpose past/present/future from the stands activation until it expires) and place himself out of the way of the bullet but the bullets didn't phase through existence nor did he "erase" them, or indeed, time. For example... if a bomb explodes and he can't outrun it in the duration of his activated ability he is still going to blow up with it. He can't erase it from ever happening. The best he can do is activate his stand and run in a void for 10 seconds until it expires, still dying in the process.

It can be powerful in theory sure but in execution I think there are enough stands I would place above it before I would consider King Crimson broken.

And just caught up with Jojolion

...I'm still laughing at the stand name

OMG it just hit me. Perfect!

----------
I have become addicted to changing out my shirt the way Diavolo does. Really convenient for the shirts with designs on em for washing them inside-out for the purpose of maintaining said designs better

Breads

Banned
GER makes a lot more sense than King Crimson, but yeah it's the most broken stand.

King Crimson has theoretical limits. It's almost abstract but they are there. Anything physically within his reach in a 10 second span along with some future sight and some time/ causaility fuckery is the extent to his ability.

GER has no theoretical limits.

GER is the most broken by far.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, though tt also exists temporarily, and there's the idea that
Giorno's scared to shit by it. He doesn't know what actually happened, after all, only that Diavolo died but didn't.

cntr

Banned
King Crimson probably overshadows it. That said tbh, most of the talk about GER is pretty negative since people forget what actually happened, it requires you to remember and notice a bunch of fairly non-explicit stuff to make sense, and the old translation didn't help. And it's just the most broken stand.

Edit: And to be clear, GER makes sense mostly for thematic reasons, which uh, is the kind of thing people miss even with a good translation.

Dude no one knows anything about GER. Not even its user.
Holy shit.
King Crimson probably overshadows it. That said tbh, most of the talk about GER is pretty negative since people forget what actually happened, it requires you to remember and notice a bunch of fairly non-explicit stuff to make sense, and the old translation didn't help. And it's just the most broken stand.

Edit: And to be clear, GER makes sense mostly for thematic reasons, which uh, is the kind of thing people miss even with a good translation.
So pretty much I'm going to need to watch a "How does Gold Experience Requiem Work?" video after I'm done reading that part?

cntr

Banned
Holy shit.
That's not actually true.

Well, aside from the last bit.

Holy shit.

So pretty much I'm going to need to watch a "How does Gold Experience Requiem Work?" video after I'm done reading that part?
Nah, GER's actual powers are pretty straight-forward. (Though you can miss some of that if you weren't paying enough attention...which the old translator probably wasn't.)

It's why GER does what it does that people miss, since it ties into a bunch of thematic and subtle stuff.

remz

I like the cause and effect theme of King Crimson and GER even if the execution requires to really buy in on the symbolic effects of both as opposed to any reg stando powah

Nah, GER's actual powers are pretty straight-forward. (Though you can miss some of that if you weren't paying enough attention...which the old translator probably wasn't.)

It's why GER does what it does that people miss, since it ties into a bunch of thematic and subtle stuff.
Do not be surprised if I PM you about it when the time comes.

Breads

Banned

We know what it does thematically, both in opposition to what King Crimson does as well as the theory behind why Requiem stands gain the specific abilities that they do.

Trying to break it down mechanically is where it falls apart, as the ability is mostly a conceptual one. It's easy to tell someone what it did. How it did it and to what extent can it be done... who knows.

cntr

Banned
A lot of people totally miss the
willpower theme
involved in GER, tho. And mechanically it's pretty straight-forward, it just works on really abstract logic.

People also forget things like,
Giorno stabbing himself to test whether he could force a Requiem out, but it didn't work. So people come up with crap about how Black Sabbath is a plot hole, when it isn't.

Breads

Banned
Are infinite timelines created everytime GER does a thing? We already know of one infinite loop for sure.
This is what I'm getting at.

The implications go well beyond the examples we're given.

For example
if infinite timelines/ alternate realities is a thing GER can interact with can GER create a chain reaction of cause/ effect nullification between multiple realities that weave into further nonsensical bullshit? We know from SBR that powers with infinite properties can have crazy/ unexpected/ non intuitive results.

Takeaway the reality splitting thing what about the ability itself. Can GER nullify what it did to Diavolo? If it does would that even look like? Would Diavolo just appear at the current time or will time have been reset to when GER was first activated here? Will GER suddenly be thrown in a timeline where Diavolo never experianced infinideath?

What about nullifying an ability like Bites the Dust or anything it does within Bites the Dust.
Is there a priority stack of abilities? What ability can reality write over the other?

What about nullification in general. Can Giorno nullify a person all the way to unbirthing them or uncreating the thing or does it have a time limit like Josuke's healing does?

When I say I don't know what it works mechanically this is what I mean. We know what happened in a limited set of examples but we don't know the extent of its abilities and how it would react. We just know a specific use case as it is woven into the narrative. I know this is a lot of theorycraft bullshit but considering how the base stand is GE and how poorly defined and freeform the abilities ended up being I think it's fair to say that we didn't spend enough time with it to truly know the extent to what it can do.

I dunno. Maybe I should wait until I read the updated version.

cntr

Banned
Fair enough, but I always felt that was an intentional part of GER. It's meant to be kind of creepy, and not going into full detail helps that along.

But I mean that what it actually does that we see makes sense and isn't hard to understand.

Breads

Banned
Fair enough, but I always felt that was an intentional part of GER. It's meant to be kind of creepy, and not going into full detail helps that along.

But I mean that what it actually does that we see makes sense and isn't hard to understand.

Well... yeah. If we just accept it at face value.
He puts Diavolo in an infinite death loop that doesn't get resolved. He is infinitely approaching death but resets before he actually dies.

Is it impossible to resolve though?

Is he still infinitely dying after Pucci resets the universe? Could an ability like Josuke "fix" him so he doesn't die or could Silver Chariot Requiem allow him to survive if it swapped him with someone else fast enough? Would they then be stuck in an infinite loop.

Arg.

I know we aren't meant to know. But when I say we don't know this is what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom