• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Sephzilla

Hey wrestleGAF, first time posting here I believe. My friend just signed up for NJPW and I'm heading over to his place soon to watch some of this G1 thang. I know almost nothing about any of the wrestles there outside of Kenny Omega and Okada. Any particular matches/people I should be watching out for?

Welcome to WrassleGAF!

Bronx-Man

Banned
The yard

of the big dog

If it makes yall happy I won't do the comparison thing between New Japan and WWE.

But #5years... we ain't going NOWHERE. you can call this, the new world organization of wrasslegaf, brother.

7f52422fa45cdafe0a6db07295aa84e3a8a41a226740eec41256531e6535e787.gif

UFC put too many eggs in the Conor basket

It's been confusing to see people praising UFC for being able to make stars while WWE can't, simply because it always seems to backfire harder for UFC than it ever did for WWE

Like yeah, Dwayne and Brock leaving hurt them bad when it happened, and they're still recovering from the pain of that (they don't trust anyone who legit gets into movies post-Dwayne and -Batista, and you even see that with them now, being hesitant to give the world title back to Cena since he's gotten his own show)

UFC got crushed focusing on Anderson Silva and only Anderson Silva when he finally lost, same happened with Ronda, and now Conor's about to make more (in money and attention) from one fight outside their sport than he ever made combined in there. They might be better at making stars, but they're also better at watching them fall and having no way to pick up the pieces quickly

Sephzilla

It's been confusing to see people praising UFC for being able to make stars while WWE can't, simply because it always seems to backfire harder for UFC than it ever did for WWE

Like yeah, Dwayne and Brock leaving hurt them bad when it happened, and they're still recovering from the pain of that (they don't trust anyone who legit gets into movies post-Dwayne and -Batista, and you even see that with them now, being hesitant to give the world title back to Cena since he's gotten his own show)

UFC got crushed focusing on Anderson Silva and only Anderson Silva when he finally lost, same happened with Ronda, and now Conor's about to make more (in money and attention) from one fight outside their sport than he ever made combined in there. They might be better at making stars, but they're also better at watching them fall and having no way to pick up the pieces quickly

UFC's problem seems to be that they put too much focus on one star, and don't look for another star until either a new star makes them self or their current star gets destroyed.

That being said I'm tentatively planning on getting the UFC PPV on saturday

Hey wrestleGAF, first time posting here I believe. My friend just signed up for NJPW and I'm heading over to his place soon to watch some of this G1 thang. I know almost nothing about any of the wrestles there outside of Kenny Omega and Okada. Any particular matches/people I should be watching out for?
Oh man.
Day 1
* Tetsuya Naito vs Kota Ibushi
* Zack Sabre Jr. vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
* Hirooki Goto vs Tomohiro Ishii
Day 2
* SANADA vs EVIL
* Kenny Omega vs Minoru Suzuki
Day 3
* Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr.
Day 4
* Minoru Suzuki vs SANADA
* Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin
Day 5
* Tomohiro Ishii vs Kota Ibushi
Day 6
* TORU YANO VS KENNY OMEGA
* Sanada vs Kazuchika Okada

Still not caught up on these past two days.

I mean. It's not bad, they probably have one of the most talented rosters out there but I feel like if you've seen it a couple of weeks or months in a row you've probably seen all there is to see. It lacks a certain clear direction imo.

Lack of direction is something CMLL has lacked for like 20 years...

They have so much potential, but they waste it on just building once a year for the anniversary show. Just look how secondary their titles are, they do not even get defended in the anniversary show.

Matches from 2017 to track down:

Any Takahashi vs Dragon Lee match
Kushida vs Takahashi (all of them)
Naito vs Elgin
Okada vs Suzuki
Ibushi vs Naito from the G1
Okada vs Elgin from the G1
Zack Sabre Jr vs Ibushi from the G1
Zack Sabre Jr vs Tanahashi from the G1
Kushida vs Ospreay from Best of Super Juniors
Omega vs Elgin from G1 Special night one
Omega vs Ishii from G1 Special night two
Every other Omega vs Ishii match from this year
Okada vs Shibata
Young Bucks vs RPG Vice from Dominion and G1 Special.

That's just a few... If you want a feel for what a regular show feels like also seek out Los Ingobernables de Japon tag matches as they are some of 9f the best 6 man tags that are on every NJPW undercard.

If you want two events in full to watch and have a ton of time watch Wrestle Kingdom 11 and Dominion.

UFC's problem seems to be that they put too much focus on one star, and don't look for another star until either a new star makes them self or their current star gets destroyed.

Funnily enough, Jon Jones rose up at a time when they actually had more than one star to focus on and were desperate to capitalize on his success too

But his fuck ups were entirely his own stupid fault, happened far more frequently and more publicly than any other, and were bad enough they don't trust him anymore

Not the G1 but you should track down Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee from New Beginning In Sapporo

Unbelievable combination of athleticism and attempted murder

Wonder if she'll drop it soon considering her inevitable WWE signing in a few months.

I don't think she drops it to Candice though.

Depends how lax WWE contracts are with regard to the dreaded "co-opted" promotions

Raw Superstar Noam Dar doing ICW this weekend is worth remembering being a thing that is happening in 2017.

EDIT: Also worth noting she didn't get a name change for the Mae Young classic.

Depends how lax WWE contracts are with regard to the dreaded "co-opted" promotions

Raw Superstar Noam Dar doing ICW this weekend is worth remembering being a thing that is happening in 2017.

EDIT: Also worth noting she didn't get a name change for the Mae Young classic.

I guess we'll see. I expect her to be one of the top women in NXT, if not the champion, by this time next year. Maybe they'll let those titles stay on them as long as they are in NXT at least. We've seen Dunne have his and be there, but he's never been involved with anyone outside of the U.K. guys.

And the name change stuff is whatever it is. None of the CWs did last year (besides Metalik) and most of them ended up signed.

Brother Seph, Jones or Cormier? It's time to draw the WrassleGaf line.
#TeamCormier

If we see Dunne get in a feud with someone not in the UK division in NXT while still holding the Progress title, then I'll believe more in their cross-pollination.

I guess we'll see. I expect her to be one of the top women in NXT, if not the champion, by this time next year. Maybe they'll let those titles stay on them as long as they are in NXT at least. We've seen Dunne have his and be there, but he's never been involved with anyone outside of the U.K. guys.

And the name change stuff is whatever it is. None of the CWs did last year (besides Metalik) and most of them ended up signed.

To be honest, I kind of hope if Toni Storm gets signed she doesn't languish in NXT too long. I know they do it to build #brand but her and Asuka are desperately need in the main roster picture.

Hasney

To be honest, I kind of hope if Toni Storm gets signed she doesn't languish in NXT too long. I know they do it to build #brand but her and Asuka are desperately need in the main roster picture.

Yeah, Nia and Alexa need more women to beat.

Please "languish", it's the only way they stay watchable.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand why the Mae Young Classic stuff is being held until super late August. They can't possibly believe it's going to somehow run into SummerSlam, can they?

FWIW, Meltzer did confirm last night that Dijak and Cole will be in NXT shortly. As for War Machine, they have a WWE offer on the table and are deciding what they want to do. I think they'd be pushed big time. Especially Hanson.

I could see them keeping her there for at least a little while given her age and what they are going through with Paige.

Paige is the reason that basically no one under 21 gets signed anymore.

I don't understand why the Mae Young Classic stuff is being held until super late August. They can't possibly believe it's going to somehow run into SummerSlam, can they?
"Look, neither of us care about this shit until our next big PPV, come back in August"

Would love to see War Machine in WWE for the 3 months before they get broken up

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Toni Storm is 21, they're probably fine with throwing her straight into NXT.

They are trying to make SS a WM type show, so they don't want the MYC to be overshadowed. They want to be able to hype it independently of everything else. That's why they are doing bracketology immediately after Summerslam. They want it to benefit from coming in the nothing weeks after SS.

Toni Storm is 21, they're probably fine with throwing her straight into NXT.

Totally. I could just see them keeping her there for a year or year and a half just to make sure she's ready for it. Of course they did that with Paige too, so I guess you can never really know.

FWIW, Meltzer did confirm last night that Dijak and Cole will be in NXT shortly. As for War Machine, they have a WWE offer on the table and are deciding what they want to do. I think they'd be pushed big time. Especially Hanson.

Ugh War Machine might be the guys I want least in WWE. The appeal is their ring work... their character work drives me nuts and that's mainly what WWE is all about.

Angry Grimace

I mean the alternative is dead as fuck Full Sail crowd, so there's really nothing they can do. Hosting it in front a main roster crowd means more in terms of what they think of it IMO.

Sure there is. Put it on the NXT PPV in Houston. Let the girls do some promo/ring work in NXT to build the match up. Same thing they did for the Dusty tag tournament.

Heroman

Banned
I mean the alternative is dead as fuck Full Sail crowd, so there's really nothing they can do. Hosting it in front a main roster crowd means more in terms of what they think of it IMO.
Or put it on raw or sd or it on a ppv or a NXT . There is a ton of places they could have done it at.

I wish Asuka would be the last major "win streak" character for a while but I'm sure she won't be

Only makes it more obnoxious and predictable

Would be cool if they'd do that sort of thing for a little while but then have the person randomly lose and use that to start their first feud.

I'm a fan of Asuka and Charlotte but the streaks were pretty much meaningless at a certain point (worse for Asuka because it likely won't be carried over to the main roster)

Another reason putting the MYC finals on an NXT PPV is not such a great idea is that you immediately define the tournament down. Unless you put the finals as the main event. It getting its own finals show allows it to be the one and only attraction.

It's true but you can just do some promo/in-ring work to hype it on NXT.

That's like two and a half months. Too long IMO.

Angry Grimace

I wish NXT tapings would leave Full Sail

They can't. NXT tapings aren't THAT popular right now. They do some limited tapings at UCF, but I think they'd be worried about having to paper it.

Another reason putting the MYC finals on an NXT PPV is not such a great idea is that you immediately define the tournament down. Unless you put the finals as the main event. It getting its own finals show allows it to be the one and only attraction.

I also think its a better option to just tape it for SmackDown itself to try and sell the network.

Top Bottom