• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found a roach egg in my delivery sushi

Takuan

Cicada_molting_animated-2.gif

Cicada birth has you beat.
I find that cute

Syriel

First sign something was off was the plastic container the food came in had a large hole in it. Maybe it broke on the way to my APT i thought to myself, no big deal. I'm enjoying my food (sushi combo with rock shrimp and miso soup) when I notice one of the sushi rolls has a somewhat odd odor/taste. I don't fully understand the preparation of the food, maybe it had an ingredient that I'm unfamiliar with I think to myself. Last straw I see an empty roach egg on top of my ginger..

Call the restaurant and the person who answers doesn't speak enough English to comprehend what I'm saying. Restaurant was Ichiban Sushi ordered from grub hub on long island.

Any similar stories or advice? Feel violated and disgusted.

Yelp that shit.

Despera

Banned
Yum yum yum

Extra protein
That's what I always considered accidental beetles/bugs in my food. Don't think anyone was poisoned by this stuff.

The real problem is the taste. Uncooked insects taste bitter so you feel this sudden shit flavor if you happen upon one.

breadtruck

In situations like this, you're supposed to say:
"Ya know, that's a delicacy in some parts of the world!"

And then its all okay!

kikiribu

The real disturbing thing is that one could easily eat one of those and not taste it. It's entirely possible that most people in this thread have ate them.

The real disturbing thing is that one could easily eat one of those and not taste it. It's entirely possible that most people in this thread have ate them.
I think this goes for food in general, especially stuff like canned vegetables, chocolate, fresh produce, etc. There are acceptable amounts of contamination the FDA allows because of the way the food is produced makes it nearly impossible to avoid and mostly harmless anyway.

delivery sushi? why??

Yeah I'm with you, of all the foods to get delivered this would be rock bottom of my list. Then again I basically never get food delivered so there's that.

Also thanks for the GIFs ladies and gents...the cucumber and cherry tomatoes in my salad I'm currently eating have some extra texture while scrolling...yum!

sam12

First sign something was off was the plastic container the food came in had a large hole in it. Maybe it broke on the way to my APT i thought to myself, no big deal. I'm enjoying my food (sushi combo with rock shrimp and miso soup) when I notice one of the sushi rolls has a somewhat odd odor/taste. I don't fully understand the preparation of the food, maybe it had an ingredient that I'm unfamiliar with I think to myself. Last straw I see an empty roach egg on top of my ginger..

Call the restaurant and the person who answers doesn't speak enough English to comprehend what I'm saying. Restaurant was Ichiban Sushi ordered from grub hub on long island.

Is it the Oakdale or Levittown location??

Those roach egg pouches are nigh indestructible. I used to find them around our old house (the Oriental kind), and would try to crush them under my foot. Even with all the force and weight I put on it they never cracked.

Zips

I suddenly feel like I came across something similar once with takeout. Didn't know what it was. Don't recall where it was from.

I do not know if I am just creating a memory now based on how disgusting that would be.

I sincerely hope it's a fake memory.

delivery sushi? why??

That was your first mistake.

Yeah I'm with you, of all the foods to get delivered this would be rock bottom of my list.

Err, OP got their dish delivered using the "Grubhub" app.
They're basically a middle man that picks up food for you from legitimate restaurants around your area.

OP's contaminated sushi didn't come from the rinky dink Japanese equivalent of Dominoes or Pizza hut, it came from an actual restaurant that people pay to sit down to eat at.
YUCK, I'm sorry you had this experience OP. I know how it feels to find something nasty in your food.
:/

sleepnaught

Ugh..So nasty.

Reminds me of the time I went to a local Chines buffet. They had a section where you had your soups, spring rolls, and whatnot. There was a cutout at the end of buffet where they placed the soup cups and small saucer plates. Well, this was a pretty busy day so it was pretty empty and you could see the bottom. When I was reaching for a soup cup I looked down and you could see tons of dead roaches and mosquito's. Needless to say, I noped the fuck out of there in a hurry.

milkham

Err, OP got their dish delivered using the "Grubhub" app.
They're basically a middle man that picks up food for you from legitimate restaurants around your area.

OP's contaminated sushi didn't come from the rinky dink Japanese equivalent of Dominoes or Pizza hut, it came from an actual restaurant that people pay to sit down to eat at.

:/

unless grubhub is different in other cities, its just a software interface between you and the restaurant so you can order without talking to anyone and the restaurant delivers. What you described is I think what UberEats is

Eating in chinatown with my brother a long time ago, noticed a dead roach on his plate halfway through. My bro nudges the waiter as he walks past and the waiter looks down and basically says "huh. must be from the tomatoes" and continues walking. My brother then eats around it.

Every time I hear one of these stories, I'm just like "there's less fire in this story than there should be."

Burn the motherfucking sushi and your house OP

neshcom

Banned
Get a refund if you paid through GrubHub and call the health inspector. Nothing anyone can do should make you not call the inspector.

And for the love of christ, stop quoting that GIF

televator

sister bit into a nestle crunch once

maggots

My mother served me french fries when I was a kid. Naturally I wanted some ketchup on them. I grab the ketchup bottle and pour it on the fries. A few fries latter I notice something wriggling around on my plate... a hoard of maggots. They were in the bottle.

The story gets worse, but its a tale of child abuse I'd rather not get into on this thread.

We had multiple cases of people finding
human teeth
in their cheesy pastries.
It kept happening every few years with the exact same type of pastry but they came from different bakeries and different stores. The mystery was never solved...

Top Bottom