• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.
5gPloKs.jpg

FROM THE STUDIO WHO BROUGHT YOU ATTACK ON TITAN, THE DIRECTOR WHO BROUGHT YOU ATTACK ON TITAN AND THE COMPOSER WHO BROUGHT YOU ATTACK ON TITAN COMES A NEW ORIGINAL (LOL) SERIES! ITS.....NOT ATTACK ON TITAN! PLEASE BE EXCITED FOR SEASON 2 SOMETIME WAY LATER.

NOTE - THIS IS STREAMING AS AN EXCLUSIVE ON AMAZON PRIME. WHO KNOWS WHEN IT WILL BE UP.

SYNOPSIS

As the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane. On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranukizutsu in order to defeat the creatures. One day, as he waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikuma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.

PV1

PV2

PV3

Official Site

OP

STAFF

Studio - WIT Studio (ATTACK ON TITAN, Seraph of the End, Rolling Girls)

Director - Tetsurou Araki (ATTACK ON TITAN, Death Note, Guilty Crown)

Composer - Hiroyuki Sawano (ATTACK ON TITAN, Aldnoah Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Sound Director - Masafuni Mima (ATTACK ON TITAN, Valvrave, Initial D)

Chief Animation Director - Kyoji Asano (ATTACK ON TITAN, Guilty Crown, Psycho-Pass)

YA'LL THOUGHT I WAS FUCKING JOKING?

CHARACTERS

00_images.png

Ikoma - VA - Tasuku Hatanaka (Ushio in Ushio and Tora, Yuuma in Yu Gi Oh Zexal)

01_images.png

Mumei - VA - Sayaka Senbongi (Yuu in Unlimited Fafner, Claire in Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku)

04_images.png

Takumi - VA - Yuki Kaji (Eren in ATTACK ON TITAN, Arita in Accel World, Ouma in Guilty Crown)

07_images.png

Sukari - VA - Ryota Osaka (Marco in ATTACK ON TITAN, Sugane in Gatchaman Crowds, Zen in Snow White with the Red Hair)

kirblar

I knew it was a cash-in, but didn't know it was by the same studio - that's hilarious.

I Can't Believe It's Not Attack On Titan indeed.

massoluk

Banned
Studio - WIT Studio (ATTACK ON TITAN, Seraph of the End, Rolling Girls)

Director - Tetsurou Araki (ATTACK ON TITAN, Death Note, Guilty Crown)

Composer - Hiroyuki Sawano (ATTACK ON TITAN, Aldnoah Zero, Xenoblade Chronicles X)

Sound Director - Masafuni Mima (ATTACK ON TITAN, Valvrave, Initial D)

Chief Animation Director - Kyoji Asano (ATTACK ON TITAN, Guilty Crown, Psycho-Pass)

Amazing. That said I'm actually in this for Haruhiko Mikimoto and Hiroyuki Sawano

Hatanaka is moving up in the world of shounen protagonists I think, first Ushio and now he already took over the MC role in show starring Yuki Kaji.

This guy is going places.

Since it's an original series it won't have to slow itself down. We'll see how many boulders MC-kun has to lift.

We'll see in the arc in which he needs to gather enough coal to get the train running again.

Pein

Banned
Oh my gosh I know its the same staff but jeez they really couldn't wait until season 2? Its attack but the giants are blue lol.

kirblar

Oh my gosh I know its the same staff but jeez they really couldn't wait until season 2? Its attack but the giants are blue lol.
At least we should have less animation issues with AoT S2, given they have more time and an entire extra show to practice on.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
So excited for this.

Duno where to watch this tho, Canada and all.

At least we should have less animation issues with AoT S2, given they have more time and an entire extra show to practice on.

That's not how it works. If anything, Kabaneri's existence makes animation problems in AoT S2 more likely, since it'll tie up much of the staff and studio for longer.

Line_HTX

I'M GONNA KILL ALL THE TECHNOLOGICALLY POWERED ZOMBIES!!

I want to hear Eren's seiyu for Takumi scream all that out.

kirblar

We... do? What's your source?
There's leaked Ep27 footage out on the net. This was a whiiiiille back. I'm guessing they completed part of the season but paused when they decided to let the manga get further ahead before launching S2. (There's no way this show doesn't pull an FMA with the timing of the final episodes, right?)

There's leaked Ep27 footage out on the net. This was a whiiiiille back. I'm guessing they completed part of the season but paused when they decided to let the manga get further ahead before launching S2. (There's no way this show doesn't pull an FMA with the timing of the final episodes, right?)

I haven't heard anything about this, and whatever you saw I highly doubt it's real. That's not how TV anime production works.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress 01

Wow, the show looks pretty great. I actually liked the first episode quite a bit, I didn't expect it to be so gory. If people compared Attack on Titan to a zombie flick, then this is actually a zombie flick.

That the main character knows how the infection works yet no one believes him or he hasn't told anyone is pretty stupid tho.

I burst out laughing when the Sawano started to play.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Counting on this being the trainwreckiest trainwreck of ALL TIME.
Code Geass R2 tier.

It may not make sense, but i'll eat my hat if it won't be entertaining!

I enjoyed this but:(excuse my paraphrasing and mangling)

"The Karajouyjo has arrived."

"Where is the Harajoukukyo?"

"It will arrive to the Garatoujkyo after the Tarakarayo"

I swear there were three sentences using words similar to these that I have no idea what meaning they were trying to convey. I assume they were train/town names, but the translation could give us a little help.

kewlmyc

I haven't heard anything about this, and whatever you saw I highly doubt it's real. That's not how TV anime production works.

I'm pretty sure they're referring to the footage that was at the end/credits of the 2nd recap movie.

I enjoyed this but:(excuse my paraphrasing and mangling)

"The Karajouyjo has arrived."

"Where is the Harajoukukyo?"

"It will arrive to the Garatoujkyo after the Tarakarayo"

I swear there were three sentences using words similar to these that I have no idea what meaning they were trying to convey. I assume they were train/town names, but the translation could give us a little help.

They were Train/Train stops.

JCG

Kabaneri 1

I was expecting this to be more nothing than an ultra-violent 1980s OVA updated for the modern era with the use of Attack on Titan's stylistic cues and...that's pretty much correct. The results don't seem too bad, if you're into that sort of subject matter, aren't bothered by the similarities to an already popular work and don't mind Tetsuro Araki's over-the-top direction or Sawano's predictably bombastic soundtrack.

If nothing else, the main character seems to have a degree of competence to balance his anger and edginess. That's nice. It might not stop me from putting the rest of the series on hold until after the whole season is over, because the concept doesn't really appeal to my interests at this time, but I can give it that much.

Hah, I found this hilarious. I mean, the fact it so shamelessly remixes 90s anime feeling (the violence, the drawing style in lots of scenes, some of the character designs, and little bits that gave me feelings of Nadia, Mononoke HIme and Steamboy), with the new and latest trends (all the AoT setup, the world overrun by very dangerous creature previously humans, the walled cities, the character obsession with revenge, most surely
the fact he almost got turned could give him "powers"
) in their quest to make the next big hit. But while it can seen their crass commercialization from a mile away, independently it's still could very well be geniously a good, entertaining series. The first episode points to that.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Episode 1:

Studio Wit can bring the production value, for awhile at any rate, but I need to see that they can hold steadfast beyond this episode. Anyway, yea, this isn't just wanting to be Attack on Titan it is pretty much wearing its skin as a coat with some adjustments as we got this odd mix of Feudal Japan and Victorian Steampunk going on for world atheistic. Not sure where i Stand on Diet Eren other than I like him more then the real deal because he already has more depth then "must kill all of my enemy" and nothing more. Right, can't really dance around this issue any longer as I am already mulling the dropping of the series because zombies and not just zombies the same virus borne shambling messes that have been beaten beyond the pale. Though on the other hand, having zombies as the main nemesis does make the train idea work since otherwise those tracks would have been long ago destroyed.

Qurupeke

If the whole series looks likes that, I'm sold. Pretty stunning. I really like the setting and the trains can certainly create a claustrophobic atmosphere. The main character is interesting, I loved that scene in the end and his whole setup, even if it was risky. He's as angry as Eren but a lot more likable and certainly not as dumb. Mumei is, the one character that I love though. I adore her carefree and mysterious attitude, and that slash kick was soooo good. The highlight of the episode. Anyway, the series had a decent start. It's an interesting take on the "Zombie Apocalypse" genre, but the same could be said for Attack on Titan. Definitely looking forward to more and I'm actually curious to how the show will continue.

Ascheroth

Kabaneri - 01

Pleasantly surprised. It looks really good (we'll see if Wit can keep it up) and I'm really digging the setting. MC is already way better then Eren, and his scene at the end was really intense. Dude doesn't fuck around.
Mumei is also already great, for the reasons Qurupeke already mentioned.
Curious in which direction it will go.

The OT is great, btw.

kirblar

It's so hilariously AoT w/ Trains and Zombies that I'm hoping they have plans to differentiate it more down the road.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Whoever gets to the basement first wins? OpieOP

First episode was entertaining. Everything looked great. I really don't care for steampunk anything, but mixing steampunk with Feudal Japan works well here. Bootleg Eren hopefully has more in him than just yelling.

I thought it was a fantastic episode.

I thought the train scene was a bit problematic in scale. Unless the train was carrying tons of explosions I dont understand how a car was launched that far into the city, furthermore, the explosion took up like a quarter or even a third of the city, and the entire wall, the train is much longer and taller than the wall itself? It just seemed odd.

RangerBAD

No mention of Haruhiko Mikimoto in the OP. Shame on you, Metroid!

Episode got crazy at the end. And I'm not talking about the predictable zombie invasion. No idea how auto-erotic asphyxiation gets rid of the infection, but it worked! I'm guessing that you're fine as long as it doesn't reach the brain. I thought he was going to just chop his arm off.

No mention of Haruhiko Mikimoto in the OP. Shame on you, Metroid!

Episode got crazy at the end. And I'm not talking about the predictable zombie invasion. No idea how auto-erotic asphyxiation gets rid of the infection, but it worked! I'm guessing that you're fine as long as it doesn't reach the brain. I thought he was going to just chop his arm off.

He said youre fine if the virus doesnt reach the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom