• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Anime revealed (AOT Team/Code Geass Writer/)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anko

Sawano means I am not watching this show.

Dammit. I was all on board for this train wreck until I saw his name.

JCG

For all the partially gratuitous* references to only one (or two) of the writer's previous works earlier in this topic, the actual preview suggests the show is just going to be a steampunk Attack on Titan with an emphasis on its ultra-violent 1980s OVA roots combined with director Tetsuro Araki's usual taste for bombastic nihilism as exhibited in AoT, Death Note, Highschool of the Dead, Kurozuka and Guilty Crown. Which probably implies the resulting tone will be dark and grim most of the time, perhaps with some elements of gallows humor whenever the apparent zombies kill people in extremely gory yet exaggerated ways, rather than going for a more colorful, playful or just outright fabulous style and atmosphere.

Besides, there is also another writer on board (Hiroshi Seko) who happens to have written ten episodes of AoT. Esssentially, this upcoming series feels more like Attack on Train Zombies than anything else. Furthermore, I also happen to think that Hiroyuki Sawano gets far too much work for his composition style to keep up, or at least it isn't being used properly most of the time. In other words, that means this new project doesn't exactly sound too interesting to me. I didn't hate Attack on Titan, yet I wasn't all that into it either.

There isn't any truly compelling reason for me to stick around, but I know some folks will have different interests and personal.tastes, both musical and otherwise. For instance, I don't hatewatch. If you ask me, craziness in a long series is only fun when it's neither entirely hollow nor super-serious. You need the right balance. I don't even think this new show will necessarily be bad at what it so desperately wants to accomplish (become the first outright Attack on Titan derivative), but it's still nothing I'd really want to watch right now. On the more positive side, it does look like the production values are going to be pretty high and Haruhiko Mikimoto's designs are a nice throwback.

*(I say that because Ichiro Okouchi has written for very different series, including Overman King Gainer, Planetes, Shigofumi and an episode of Space Dandy, plus movies like Brave Story, Fuse and Berserk. For that matter, I do think Taniguchi's Geass actually worked because the series embraced its own silliness yet still kept an eye on some interesting material, which tied the whole thing together at the very end, but that wasn't really true of Matsuo's Valvrave and especially not of Araki's Guilty Crown. I can only hope the director will attempt to approach things differently this time around, since he might just want to repeat his Attack on Titan experience).

Just watched ep 1 on amazon prime.

I really liked it! It's a clear clone-ish of AOT right off the bat, BUT it was just different enough that it was still awesome! Can't wait for more.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oh, so it's Attack on Titan with trains.
Choo choo baby

I'm all aboard this train

Edit: Oh wait it's already out? Geez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom