• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

black lagoon ended in a decent spot with the OVA anyways.
It did, it's true, but I'm not sure I want more of it specifically, I just want more stuff like it. International crime, piracy, lawless cities with their own set of rules. There are a few interesting shows that try to capture the atmosphere of Black Lagoon(Jormungand, Gangsta), but they're few and far between and not quite as good.

I watched like 14 episodes of AoT waiting for it to get better, and aside from the basic plot and monster designs, I didn't understand why people liked it. Just really lame characters.

I have a hard time enjoying most anime these days, tbh. One show I recently started watching that I do like so far is Black Lagoon, because the characters surprise you (so far) instead of acting like total cliches.

Do I have a better chance of liking this?

It is a lot more faster paced than AOT because of the 12 episode format, and the show gives you the minimum of backstory at the start and doesn't really have a plot that has depth to it, but it jumps right in the action with all the theatrics and hammy stuff like in AOT. I don't think your going to get a lot of worldbuilding, or anything like that, but the setting it's is pretty interesting. It is close to that of a Die Hard movie.

The anime has some cliches and some the characters do fall in archetypes, but it can be enjoyable.

Shouta

Man, Ep 8 was good. It did so many things in just 25 minutes. It might be my favorite so far because of what it establishes.

It's really interesting to see that line of discussion, the strong survive and the weak die, get taken in a slightly different direction than normal. The standard developments for that are pretty cliche.

Bryan Singer should take notes on how to properly present Apocalypse and Magneto from this single episode.

Also, I just love conflict between characters that is driven by plot and personality rather than hand waving mind control garbage. The way characters were set against each other in this episode was so elegant and genuinely earned that my wife and I just gushed about it as the credits rolled.

Another great episode in what continues to be an amazing series.

ScribbleD

Episode 8 ramped the pacing back up after a brief lull, established something long-term to care about, and gave some great imagery, but man I still hated a lot of it. Namely that they're committing super hard to the typical "the strong survive and the weak die" that's the central of every shounen villain's philosophy and it's so tired. That, and I'm starting to get sick of Mumei. The downside to the show being fast paced is that Mumei has been pivoting constantly for 8 episodes and it doesn't feel organic, like her different loyalties are tugging her in all different directions, it just makes her annoying and unreliable. You can have a conflicted character, and I know what they're going for, but it's too many turns over too short a time span.

TarNaru33

Banned
Episode 8 ramped the pacing back up after a brief lull, established something long-term to care about, and gave some great imagery, but man I still hated a lot of it. Namely that they're committing super hard to the typical "the strong survive and the weak die" that's the central of every shounen villain's philosophy and it's so tired. That, and I'm starting to get sick of Mumei. The downside to the show being fast paced is that Mumei has been pivoting constantly for 8 episodes and it doesn't feel organic, like her different loyalties are tugging her in all different directions, it just makes her annoying and unreliable. You can have a conflicted character, and I know what they're going for, but it's too many turns over too short a time span.

Huh? She never felt any strong loyalty to the crew of Kotetsujyo, but at the same time she has no resentment for them as well like her fellow hunters might. She didn't even start opening up to them until end of ep 4 and that was thrown into turmoil when ep 5 happened.

I think her character is pretty well done as we learn more of her background. I was wondering why she went stubborn in ep 5 and her history with the Hunters and her "brother" explains that.

They are doing a very good job with her character imo, as she isn't reliable as she is primarily doing what is specifically in her interest. This is a good character design over a static, honorable, and perfectly righteous character.

ShinLad

Neo Member
Motorcycles seem really out of place. I also wish that Mumei would start talking shit to people again, best part of the earlier episodes.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There were shitty motorcycles in the mid-late 19th century, if you can accept the steam powered guns that penetrate through iron then its not a stretch

Actually looking about what was said about the jet pistols, I don't think those are simple steam powered guns to begin with in principle. He mention needing iron with a very low melting point. Those are or a supposed to with some heavy fudging, work on the same principle as armour piercing weapons/artillery. That's why they can pierce iron. Their not shooting just steam at all, but near vaporised coned metal.

Started watching this, and loving the art and concept.

Anyone know how many episodes this season will have ?
(if it's more than 1 season anyway)

Draft

Somewhat? There are a lot of characters that are supposed to be American so they just have random words be english
He doesn't speak much but every time it's very off putting. I was wondering if maybe some otaku came up with the funding and in return asked to have a voice over role.

I'm super into this show. It's the only show I care about. Spoil game of thrones all you like but don't tell me what happens of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.

He doesn't speak much but every time it's very off putting. I was wondering if maybe some otaku came up with the funding and in return asked to have a voice over role.

I assume you're referring to Max Powers, who is an American with an entertainment career in Japan.

I doubt it. The anime is pretty high on the pre-order charts, its just that the schedule it airs on is packed for a while.

Oh ok lol. What i was trying to say in my initial post was that this show as a series would finish before AOT because of how slow the manga progression is and how it's dependent on that

L.O.R.D

Episode 8

i started to hate ikuma more and more,i think he is the reason why i started to hate this anime
"OMG,this man is killing other man and they didn't turn"
What a selfish basterd with closed minded.
so what if that man told her the weak dies first,it's not your problem.
Now he is going to kill the sword guy and will cause panic and maybe will make the zombies invade this town.

Episode 8

i started to hate ikuma more and more,i think he is the reason why i started to hate this anime
Now he is going to kill the sword guy and will cause panic and maybe will make the zombies invade this town.

what?

HotHamBoy

Fun show. Dumb as rocks but entertaining. The Kabane are hardly interesting as monsters, same with Pink Haired Big Bad. But it works well enough and they keep the action up more often than i expected.

pgtl_10

I wonder what the big blue kabane heart is?

Also it seems kabane are originally failed super soldier experiments.

Episode 8

This is the equivalent of sitting though a first grade math lesson and concluding 2 + 2 = 9, it misses the point so badly I almost have to wonder if it's a troll.

What a piece of shit Biba is. "I wasn't loved by my dad, so I'll just kill everyone!" Typical sociopath.

It seems to be more, "my dad and everyone else left me and my crew to die horribly, but I survived and am now swallowed up by my need for revenge."

Definitely a sociopath, not particularly typical.

Another great episode of a fantastic series. The limited span of episodes seems to have led to a show where they waste no time and make every moment matter. I really appreciate that in storytelling.

RangerBAD

It seems to be more, "my dad and everyone else left me and my crew to die horribly, but I survived and am now swallowed up by my need for revenge."

Definitely a sociopath, not particularly typical.

Another great episode of a fantastic series. The limited span of episodes seems to have led to a show where they waste no time and make every moment matter. I really appreciate that in storytelling.

A daddy issue is a daddy issue. Besides, he doesn't particularly seem to care about "everyone else". I wasn't really using typical as a detraction. He needs more fleshing out at the moment.

pgtl_10

What happen to the Kabaneri after the gate was destroyed? The show seem to forget about them. It makes no sense. He wants to destroy the fortress of his Dad so everybody go fight Kabaner which sounds dumn.

Crocodile

I've fallen behind on the show but in the meantime, have a neat gif:

tumblr_o8jbzgH9xK1u3hadgo2_1280.gif

Source

B.O.O.M

This show, contrary to my expectations, turned out to be rather mediocre. Interesting setting but characters are beyond terrible. Probably cliche ass fan service oriented anime have more interesting characters than this anime. Story makes no sense whatsoever either. So the dude has daddy issues and a whole army is willing to kill a whole city cz of it. And mumei and the main guy are terrible too. Mumei sees people getting killed and takes about half the episode to make up her mind. Ikoma has the same tired sequence of 'no stoooop', 'get whooped', eventually nakama power will help him get revenge. Let's see if they can at least end of an interesting note.

Setsuna

Mumei is officially the worse character this season. A generally good charachter went to shit in 2 or 3 episodes

I wonder exactly what their plan is to turn her around, or even if they plan on doing that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom