• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Rex.

Banned
Biba, KISAMA!
Ok, there's no way Ikoma survives that lol. Some real good moments between him and Takumi as well, and then they both get killed :(

T-Rex.

Banned
Tag quote seems approrpriate:

(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
What does it mean?

I thought Mumei was going to be turned into the thing from last week, was shocked to see her come out and red wedding Ikoma like that.

shira

Biba still sounds like a joke name they got from hearing a baby make noises.

74332-justin-bieber-im-not-perfect-g-lmjl.gif

Akainu

ugh now it's getting into the aots swing. When will Ikoma finally level up? And they killed a true bro. I hope all biba's men get theirs.

Limit

I can think of exactly one anime where a protagonist gets legit killed and doesn't come back with a massive level up ready to conquer all obstacles
(Legend of galactic heroes)
. Ikoma's missing arm about to become a transforming weapon or something. The story will be a lot more interesting if he's actually dead, but I'm expecting the standard fare.

So I guess this isn't gonna get wrapped up by the end of the season? Seems like the ending will be kinda similar to (mild spoilers for one of the Gundam series)
Gundam 00 season 1/season 2

RangerBAD

I can think of exactly one anime where a protagonist gets legit killed and doesn't come back with a massive level up ready to conquer all obstacles
(Legend of galactic heroes)
. Ikoma's missing arm about to become a transforming weapon or something. The story will be a lot more interesting if he's actually dead, but I'm expecting the standard fare.

Remember it's an AoT clone.

Well I never expected his friend to make it through the whole series. Their joking around the previous night was a huge death flag for him anyway

Totakeke

I felt it was a bit odd that this episode suddenly became a lot more lighthearted, but I should have realized it was just a bunch of death flags.

How many more episodes this has left? One or two episodes seem too few to turn things around after this episode.

I thought they had already reached the narrative lowest point, but I guess with 3 more episodes to go it makes sense for 11 to be the turn and then 12 and 13 to wrap things up.

If they get further seasons, I hope they stick to a 13 episode overall arc with fairly discreet 3 episode arcs, the way this season has gone. Very well paced, very nicely told.

Loving it.

Moaradin

Man this show kinda fell apart as soon as Biba showed up.

Ikoma is obviously gonna come back in some bullshit way. This show really wants to be AoT after all. I don't know how the hell they'll do it without it feeling bullshit though.

T-Rex.

Banned
Man this show kinda fell apart as soon as Biba showed up.

Ikoma is obviously gonna come back in some bullshit way. This show really wants to be AoT after all. I don't know how the hell they'll do it without it feeling bullshit though.
He should be dead after all that but he wasn't stabbed in the heart so that'll probably be their reasoning if/when he comes back.

I'll be legit impressed if this story has the balls to let
Ikoma's death stick
though he'll probably come back with Samurai boy to save the day.

Shouta

Setup for the last episode mostly. I'm hoping the potential outcome for the last episode that's foreshadowed in this sticks but we'll see.

Two things that kinda annoyed me and got me thinking.

What exactly happened with the Shogun and Biba as a kid? Biba gives us the breakdown that the Shogun was afraid of backstabbing from other factions but why was Biba the one there to get his back slashed when the lights went out? I understand why Biba would hold a grudge after that and the Kabane campaign in Kyushu but it seems strange for the Shogun to fear his own son and continue to do so for so long.

It's a little strange that the Shogun let the Kotetsujo into Kongokaku even if they had captured Biba. If he was such a fearful man, he surely would have been wary of this after what he did to Biba before.

These probably would be answered with a little more exposition on that front but it's not really necessary as the way things unfolded works. I just thought it might be a little more complete if we understood these parts and got a little more insight.

if the shogun was such a paranoid asshole that had people locked up for three days regardless of condition then why would he even entertain any of biba's ideas

RangerBAD

Looks like S2 won't be necessary. One more episode or one episode + OVA episode.

if the shogun was such a paranoid asshole that had people locked up for three days regardless of condition then why would he even entertain any of biba's ideas

Because the show has to end quickly.

Setup for the last episode mostly. I'm hoping the potential outcome for the last episode that's foreshadowed in this sticks but we'll see.

Two things that kinda annoyed me and got me thinking.

What exactly happened with the Shogun and Biba as a kid? Biba gives us the breakdown that the Shogun was afraid of backstabbing from other factions but why was Biba the one there to get his back slashed when the lights went out? I understand why Biba would hold a grudge after that and the Kabane campaign in Kyushu but it seems strange for the Shogun to fear his own son and continue to do so for so long.

It's a little strange that the Shogun let the Kotetsujo into Kongokaku even if they had captured Biba. If he was such a fearful man, he surely would have been wary of this after what he did to Biba before.

The Shogun even admits to knowing it's a trap. I guess he thought he was at least safe, but he got duped. Funny thing is that Bibi actually used what little affection his father had for him as bait.

Shouta

I wonder if that ruined the show. It sure does feel like they're rushing through everything with no regards to plot or motive.

They built enough for the plot and motive. It's not groundbreaking material but it's more than enough to fuel a 12 ep series.

RangerBAD

I wonder if that ruined the show. It sure does feel like they're rushing through everything with no regards to plot or motive.

I don't think it matters much anymore. The whole story is really about Ikoma's redemption for not saving his sister, and doing that through Mumei instead. In the end, the Kabane are a backdrop and a means to an end. And that's fine. Could they do more with the world they've built? Absolutely. Do they have to? Not really.

Unlike AoT, they don't care as much about the origins of the Kabane and it's not a major plot point.

I love that they are going all in on telling the story without trying to force it out in to some kind of anime fan's preset definition of what a show has to be.

Straight forward 13 episode series that tells the story it set out to tell with no bullshit or needless dragging.

This is in many ways like the Mad Max Fury road approach to storytelling. Depending on how they wrap this up it could continue with some major changes for a new story arc with different characters. Sorta how the first season of Spartacus worked, a complete narrative that leads in to a new story, but doesn't depend on one.

pgtl_10

I don't think it matters much anymore. The whole story is really about Ikoma's redemption for not saving his sister, and doing that through Mumei instead. In the end, the Kabane are a backdrop and a means to an end. And that's fine. Could they do more with the world they've built? Absolutely. Do they have to? Not really.

Unlike AoT, they don't care as much about the origins of the Kabane and it's not a major plot point.

I wish it was a major plot point. It seems like you can do a lot with Kabane. Their biological makeup is very interesting.

pbayne

First time i thought Biba was actually threatening and a legit villain (even if all his actions make me scratch my head in confusion.) And the logic behind how people become Kabane is really up in the air now too.

Looks wise thought it was the strongest offering so far though, breathtaking at times. And i marked out a bit for Ikoma's full Guts-like transformation.

Hope they use all the animation budget they saved on this episode and cram it all into the finale.

Also, yeah Biba's actions make no sense. Is he just a "wants to see the world burn" villain in the end?

fertygo

Hope they use all the animation budget they saved on this episode and cram it all into the finale.

Also, yeah Biba's actions make no sense. Is he just a "wants to see the world burn" villain in the end?

He seen enough shit and just want watch the world burn is pretty apt, but I think he also want to instill fear for the start of his regime.

Dram

Why did he cut his hair? Ikoma turning into Guts was pretty cool, though.
Yeah that part didn't make sense. Why didn't he cut the hair covering his eye too?

Also I really think the show has become less interesting since Biba was introduced. The Kabane aren't the real focus of the show anymore and Biba isn't that interesting of a villain to me.

He seen enough shit and just want watch the world burn is pretty apt, but I think he also want to instill fear for the start of his regime.
I wish they had spent an episode delving into his relationship with his Father, so we could understand
why the Shogun abandoned Biba and his troops. It would also really help to explain why Biba is destroying the capital, even though he has already accomplished his goal of killing his Father.

Shouta

Why did he cut his hair? Ikoma turning into Guts was pretty cool, though.

Yeah that part didn't make sense. Why didn't he cut the hair covering his eye too?

Also I really think the show has become less interesting since Biba was introduced. The Kabane aren't the real focus of the show anymore and Biba isn't that interesting of a villain to me.

I wish they had spent an episode delving into his relationship with his Father, so we could understand
why the Shogun abandoned Biba and his troops. It would also really help to explain why Biba is destroying the capital, even though he has already accomplished his goal of killing his Father.

Cutting hair is often seen as a sign of resolve or a new start. It gets turned into a trope in anime and games to signify that turning point for the character.

I'm glad the ending seems to be going full shlock

My question is if Ikoma kills Biba and rescues Mumei what will Kursei do? Unless Kursei duels Biba and loses/gets turned and Ikoma has to finish the job but I don't know how we fit that into one more episode.

This is probably the first episode where I liked Biba as a villain, he was still the point where the show took a turn for the worst but I enjoyed watching him create anarchy and fear in the capital. The moments where he clearly cared about the relationship he once had with his father were a nice touch that made him feel almost like a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom