• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
llXdx1L.png

Geist-

Not bad at all. Sword dude was alright, what did Ikuma build that blade with? It's pretty bitchin'.

Ikuma is a beast, lol
I'm pretty sure he said he made it with that metal that surrounds the zombies' hearts. Pretty awesome honestly.

Also... C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

SpotAnime

I'm not a fan of Attack on Titan, but Kabaneri hit the spot. As someone who posted earlier said, the episodes seem to fly by. They are totally packed with action and the animation is beautiful, it maintains a high level of quality through these first six episodes. Is it just me though or does it bother anyone else that the CGI is at a high framerate, but the animation is not? I seem to have a problem with this here more than any other series.

Steampunk, samurai and zombies? It's a crazy mashup done so, so well. Surprised this thread only has nine pages.

Also, TIL Tetsurō Araki also directed Highschool of the Dead, a guilty pleasure of mine. I guess I shouldn't feel so guilty anymore.

I'm not a fan of Attack on Titan, but Kabaneri hit the spot. As someone who posted earlier said, the episodes seem to fly by. They are totally packed with action and the animation is beautiful, it maintains a high level of quality through these first six episodes. Is it just me though or does it bother anyone else that the CGI is at a high framerate, but the animation is not? I seem to have a problem with this here more than any other series.

I notice this but it doesn't bother me very much. Partly because I fully expect it and maybe partly because I don't watch too many animes to know how bad it is.

I think the animation quality has decreased a bit compared to the first 3 episodes though. Still very good anyway.

The pacing remains exceptionally good. I can't believe there is a modern anime this good in terms of plot, characters, and art.

I don't know how this is gonna end, but if they keep up this quality, then I am in for the whole ride.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Train-Train 6
Okay, that was fine episode. At the very least, Ikoma and Mumei admit what they did last episode was stupid.
Yukina toned muscle was great.

Caught up on the last two episodes I love the character designs of this series. When the hype moment happens and that theme comes on it's so good.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
For an AOT rip-off, this is much better than AOT.

Shouta

So Hozumi (Hodsumi if you want to make sure it's the right character) is her name, huh? I like that a lot.

The first real slow episode but I really liked it. A lot of great little moments for the characters throughout it.

I'm glad to see that when they slow things down and save their animation budget they can still deliver on a well structured story with good character moments and excellent plot building.

This show is a classic in the making.

Cornbread78

That was an odd change of pace for the series after all the action up to this point. I was good to get more backstory on endless rice belly girl and it looks like things may get dicey with Ikuma and her big bro next episode.

Moaradin

This was exactly the kind of episode this show needed. Really helped flesh out the characters and gave us a nice breather.

Hmmm. If this is only supposed to be 12 episodes are they planning on a season 2? There's a lot of plot threads being set up here and I don't see how they are going to finish them in 5 more episodes. They haven't even gotten to the main Kabane research city.

Hmmm. If this is only supposed to be 12 episodes are they planning on a season 2? There's a lot of plot threads being set up here and I don't see how they are going to finish them in 5 more episodes. They haven't even gotten to the main Kabane research city.

the schedule the show runs on is booked for a while so not anytime soon

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the schedule the show runs on is booked for a while so not anytime soon

odd. I can't see them doing much in the remaining 5. It'll be annoying to see this go on a long hiatus, it's been one of the better anime I've watched in a while.

I'd prefer a long break in between seasons than them trying to wrap up the story in 5 episodes. They'd have to like double their pacing.

Just marathon'd all the episodes, and I gotta say this is a damn good show. I love how they are alluding to major happenings outside of the train that tells how shit is going to go down soon, and probably not in a very good way.

I am not an anime guy, but I got into this and AOT because of how batshit crazy the monster designs are. In AOT, we have giants with dumb looks on their faces that devour people and can be killed by slashing the backs of their necks. With this show, the Kabane look to be inspired by concept art from a Resident Evil game. Plus, I am really, really digging the 'feudalpunk' visuals and the fluidity of the animation.

HotHamBoy

I watched like 14 episodes of AoT waiting for it to get better, and aside from the basic plot and monster designs, I didn't understand why people liked it. Just really lame characters.

I have a hard time enjoying most anime these days, tbh. One show I recently started watching that I do like so far is Black Lagoon, because the characters surprise you (so far) instead of acting like total cliches.

Do I have a better chance of liking this?

I watched like 14 episodes of AoT waiting for it to get better, and aside from the basic plot and monster designs, I didn't understand why people liked it. Just really lame characters.

I have a hard time enjoying most anime these days, tbh. One show I recently started watching that I do like so far is Black Lagoon, because the characters surprise you (so far) instead of acting like total cliches.

Yeah give it a shot.

I also recommend Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Geist-

The characters I find are waaaay more interesting than AoT characters, but they still fall on a few common Japanese clichés. I'd give it a shot, if only for the production value and art design. They did a great job with steam punk feudal Japan, very atmospheric.

FYI, this comes from a guy who considers Black Lagoon one of the greatest animes ever made. Someday we'll get more Black Lagoon....someday...
probably not ='(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom