• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarNaru33

Banned
Welp, I just lost incredible amounts of interest in this show. In it just to see how it ends now. They should never have introduced Biba or at least done a better job on it.

Pejo

Gold Member
Just started watching this show this past weekend. I really like it, especially now that the main dude is going straight up all-or-nothing, time for a haircut mode.

Interestingly,
after I saw his hand get removed, I knew we were going to see some evil dead 2 chainsaw type thing with his nail gun. I then rewatched the show's intro, and several times it's hidden under his cloak so you can't tell that it's actually his arm, but then shown specifically to be held by his hand in other shots. Weird.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the season up until Biba. I really dislike the "ok he's a bad guy and we're going to really drive that point home over and over to make you hate him." I like relatable bad guys that just go too far. Still a really fun show, and the action scenes are pretty great.

I'm guessing we're going to see that Biba and his blonde moustached minion are both Kabaneri and get into a big final conflict after Mumei is saved. Also, looking forward to half metal-guyver looking Ikoma.

Well favorite moment from todays episode, Uryuu will forever be best character in Kabaneri.
CmOMW1uWkAAhV4y.jpg

Decent ending but I wanted better
Takumi should have came back to life. How did the best friend die but everyone else lived. Even Kurusu somehow survived onslaughts of Kabane!!!

Shouta

Pretty solid ending though I kind of expected a bit more action.Well, I guess it's not really an ending as much as it's a resolution for what's happened.. Ikoma looked pretty awesome in the action scenes they had.

Biba still an asshole to the end but did something slightly OK, I guess? His motivations for doing what he did at the last minute are a little bit mysterious.

Pretty solid ending though I kind of expected a bit more action.Well, I guess it's not really an ending as much as it's a resolution for what's happened.. Ikoma looked pretty awesome in the action scenes they had.

Biba still an asshole to the end but did something slightly OK, I guess? His motivations for doing what he did at the last minute are a little bit mysterious.

I suppose
Biba having a change of heart/Ikoma possessing qualities he admired (The man who has no fear) is better than "Gasps! Ikoma's passion for life and fighting Kabane fought back and cured him!" which I was bracing for.

RangerBAD

I guess he
was the "looking for someone to kill me/looking for a place to die"
type of villain.
I assume he gave Ikoma the white blood just so he could fight Ikoma as a Kabaneri and not a mindless Kabane. Not really out of a change of heart.

Overall, the series was good and a lot of fun to watch.
They used an open ending, but they can only really go in an AoT direction. What are the Kabane and the like.

Well they definitely seem to have left it open for a second season.

Does any zombie fiction ever come to a solution for their zombie problems? Only one I can think of off hand is "I am Legend".

Defuser

He did that to nerf Ikoma so he can off him easily. This totally lines in Biba's thinking, he was never the type to show compassion or any good intentions.

a ton of convenient stuff happened with this episode

and also some stuff that didn't happen that could've/should've happened due to power scaling

but it wasn't a bad episode... and was still entertaining

Pejo

Gold Member

Totally agree on the expecting more action thing. I guess it makes sense that it happened the way it did. Ikoma's fighting style is loose and sloppy, which he demonstrated today. I'm curious about the
blue energy that he could manifest.
At any rate, that was a pretty good season, it'd be neat if they expand to a second.

Dram

I might of missed it, but what did Ikoma and the samurai do with the
scientist they captured?

Akainu

You know what, that princess basically helped that city die fuck her too.

They should also throw those people off the train. They're hurting? They caused this mess in the first place.

ScribbleD

You know what, that princess basically helped that city die fuck her too.

They should also through those people off the train. They're hurting? They caused this mess in the first place.

Yup. Mumei? Dead. Princess-chan? Dead. Biba? Raise him from the dead and kill him again.

Also, LOL at Ikoma zombie ki blasting the train into the air.

Fitting I suppose that this series seemed to veer heavily off the rails at some indeterminable point mid-way...maybe the whole Biba plot was the start of the end.

I mean, the ending had some moments but it really feels like this show had the potential to head in a wildly different and better direction back in the initial few episodes.

In terms of amount of happenings of interest and intrigue weighed with...an ending... against seemingly very unlikely to materialize future seasons---I couldn't even rate this ahead of something like Black Bullet from awhile back that wanted so desperately to be a late 80's/early 90's OVA series it was actually somewhat amazing despite the many stumbles in pursuit of that and in general.

He did that to nerf Ikoma so he can off him easily. This totally lines in Biba's thinking, he was never the type to show compassion or any good intentions.

Yeah, I didn't see it as any kind of kindness. Just as a means of winning a fight.

I liked it as an ending, though I think the rising action was more intense and interesting. It is usually hard to follow through with a clean win for the good guys after the bad guys dominate so heavily.

Great show. I am hoping we get more stuff right from the folks behind the AoT anime, given that what they have to work with from the comic doesn't really match up to their own potential in my view.

Kickz

a ton of convenient stuff happened with this episode

and also some stuff that didn't happen that could've/should've happened due to power scaling

but it wasn't a bad episode... and was still entertaining

My feelings to, soundtrack helped alot though to put a nice paint job over everything.

TarNaru33

Banned

This isn't the case as there was really only two periods he could of injected Ikoma (when Ikoma shot his arm off) and when he shot Ikoma while he was lying down conscienceless.

Pretty sure he was out to find a person who wasn't a coward who would kill his cowardly self.

Caught up. Great show. Things got pretty stupid since Biba joined the cast but that didnt stop me from enjoying it.

I cant get over the awesome character designs and art. The soundtrack was pretty solid too.

Dennis

Banned
Biba is whats wrong with anime.

Remember when GAF told me this was better than Attack on Titan?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Bakana!

Only watched two shows this whole season and this was the worst show I saw. Only redeeming quality was the OP by EGOIST. I need SnK S2 to get this out of my system. 5/10.

Kysen

Ending sucked big time, it was almost like they ran out of money and just said "end it asap". Cant leave any lose ends.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Great show, Great ending considering that they only had 12 eps they did a good job wrapping it up nice and neat...I'm pretty sure the film version coming out will do a much better job of telling the story.

Shocked I liked this so much after that garbage AOT they should cancel the second season of AOT and make more of this.
Will never happen but can't wait for the Crunchyroll BD!

What would an S2 do? I could only see a prequel LN for about how the Kabaneri first arose and maybe another LN for how the Kabaneri v Humans will end up, if theyre ever concerned about resolving that in this post apocalyptic series.

This show had a hell of a trajectory...that said when that hype theme comes on you know something is about to go down. I really hope we get a season 2.

Squalor

Man, the final four episodes, the last third of the series, we're so fucking bad. The characters, the plot, the narrative, the pace—it's all so bad.

Worst villain and plot in a while.

Everything before that was mostly so great, too.

XAL

What would an S2 do? I could only see a prequel LN for about how the Kabaneri first arose and maybe another LN for how the Kabaneri v Humans will end up, if theyre ever concerned about resolving that in this post apocalyptic series.

Finding a new home, unraveling the source of the Kabane yaddayadda

Squalor

Finding a new home, unraveling the source of the Kabane yaddayadda
Conflict between the main group and the remaining members of Biba's group.

The fact that the Capitol is destroyed. Who's in charge now?

There's plenty of story left. I'm just not sure I want it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I never understood why they kept thinking some people could be Kabane when Kabane are mindless zombies. The fact that you're having a conversation with them, they aren't blue with glowing shit all over their bodies and don't have appendages growing all over should be proof that they're not Kabane.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Fitting I suppose that this series seemed to veer heavily off the rails at some indeterminable point mid-way...maybe the whole Biba plot was the start of the end.

I mean, the ending had some moments but it really feels like this show had the potential to head in a wildly different and better direction back in the initial few episodes.

In terms of amount of happenings of interest and intrigue weighed with...an ending... against seemingly very unlikely to materialize future seasons---I couldn't even rate this ahead of something like Black Bullet from awhile back that wanted so desperately to be a late 80's/early 90's OVA series it was actually somewhat amazing despite the many stumbles in pursuit of that and in general.

Agree quite strongly. The first few episodes displayed a lot of potential the show never really lived up to. It wrapped up far too quickly and conveniently. Even now I'm not really sure about Biba's motivation or whatnot, the show seemed to become more focused on individual setpieces than a coherent relation between those pieces.

Shouta

Agree quite strongly. The first few episodes displayed a lot of potential the show never really lived up to. It wrapped up far too quickly and conveniently. Even now I'm not really sure about Biba's motivation or whatnot, the show seemed to become more focused on individual setpieces than a coherent relation between those pieces.

How are you not sure? It's pretty obvious that he wants revenge, at least that's the basis for his actions. There's a few layers on top of that for why he's doing it the way he did in the show but revenge was his fuel.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
How are you not sure? It's pretty obvious that he wants revenge, at least that's the basis for his actions. There's a few layers on top of that for why he's doing it the way he did in the show but revenge was his fuel.

I get the general revenge theme, I mean the deeper aspects of it: why did his father not send help? why was Biba disowned? why does Biba's revenge involve killing the entire human race and not just his father? why was Biba a Kabaneri?

solomon

The show started off amazing, but at the half way mark it started to have issues and the ending felt sort of empty.

Shouta

I get the general revenge theme, I mean the deeper aspects of it: why did his father not send help? why was Biba disowned? why does Biba's revenge involve killing the entire human race and not just his father? why was Biba a Kabaneri?

Some of it could be explained in detail but there's enough info in the show to draw conclusions.

1st & 2nd questions.

The shogun was at the center of feudal arguments and political posturing. He was pretty paranoid as a result of it. One night, the lights suddenly went out in his home and he responded to someone behind by slashing them with a knife. That turned out to be Biba. He kinda apologizes but blames "fear" as he puts it. From that point on, the Shogun was paranoid of even Biba. So when he sent Biba with an army to defeat the Kabaneri in the west, he decided to cut supplies off midway through their campaign.

The real question here is why exactly he suspected his son despite it being a misunderstanding that night but eh, you can chalk that up to madmen in power.

3rd question

Not exactly stated but likely he chose to do it because of his father's words. That fear drove him to do it. After surviving the campaign and learning how to fight the Kabaneri, he probably despised the folks that lived behind the walls of the stations instead of choosing to fight for their survival. They represented the same people that casted him out to die. He either destroyed them or persuaded them to fight. He did the former to the town closest to Kongokaku and Kongokaku itself because they were at the core of the problem he felt was there. He did the latter to the town that they first met the people of the Kotetsujo

4th question

Probably for the same reason that he made Horobi and Mumei into Kabaneri, they're extremely powerful.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
With respect, none of those are very satisfying answers. They leave the cast of KotIF with the emotional range and maturity of a spoon, and a particularly inept spoon at that.

Shouta

If you're not satisfied with that, then that's fine. That's up to you. However, they do give you the information to figure out their motivations.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you're not satisfied with that, then that's fine. That's up to you. However, they do give you the information to figure out their motivations.

I'm just saying their motivations make no sense when considered from the perspective of what motivates a normal person. The chains of logic from - I accidentally hurt my son through paranoia -> leave him to die, or I was betrayed by my father -> kill entire human race, are utterly nonsensical. When I say "why?" above, I mean "why" from the perspective of "reasons that actually make sense".

Shouta

I'm just saying their motivations make no sense when considered from the perspective of what motivates a normal person. The chains of logic from - I accidentally hurt my son through paranoia -> leave him to die, or I was betrayed by my father -> kill entire human race, are utterly nonsensical. When I say "why?" above, I mean "why" from the perspective of "reasons that actually make sense".

He's not a normal person though. The shogun is a guy that's in power of an empire, well whatever's left of it. and has been paranoid the entire time he's in power from what we can tell. He's likely had many people try to assassinate him prior to that incident. Him fearing his son would be pretty standard. How many stories involve royalty fearing being assassinated while on the thrown. Heck, it happens in real life, as I recall lol.

Biba didn't try to kill the entire human race. He let the Kabaneri loose on the capital and the town that guarded it. As I pointed out, he didn't do so with the town where he was introduced. Granted, he still brought them there so that he could further gain influence with them but he didn't let the Kabaneri loose on that town at all. I think his reasons for doing that shit makes sense. He was betrayed by his father twice, he was also betrayed by the people under the Shogun, and he had to survive the Kabaneri all by himself. I think think they could have shown more of it, for sure. However, that would just prolong the show and Biba isn't really meant to be a villain we understand deeply or sympathize with. The guy ain't normal lol

Edit: He also let the Kabane into the towns to create the Black Smoke from the Nues. The first town had the giant gate he had to destroy and it looks like he wanted to destroy the Shogun's Palace in the capital with them.

Ennosuke

Just saw the last episode. I agree that it started with so much potential, but lost some of it in the middle. But honestly they only had 12 episodes and this is definitely one of the animes, which would need 24 episodes for a season. They have done a decent job, still was fun watching and I am hoping for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom