• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wanderer5

Damn impressive so far. Great setup, even if things were going by quick, and man was Ikoma preventing the virus take over kind of epic lol. I just hope the quality will be consistent or close, and not something like Guilty Crown that was all over the place.

Cornbread78

Kabaneri ep.1
Did that zombie really just mimic and mock that child as it was eating her mother? That is some fucked up shit right there. That episode was a bloody mess throughout, but I guess that goes with the brutal society in which they live. That head sandle slice at the end was just the icing on the cake.

That was a fun first episode. I like the look of the walled city more than Attack on Titan because of the huge ass steam punk pipes running all over the place. Spoilers for the end of the episode: why did
the main character have that elaborate auto-erotic exphysiation gear ready to go? It seemed like he was supposed to be improvising after he got bit, but at the same time that setup looked like it was built to do exactly what it did.

I'm excited to see more battle trains.

RangerBAD

Kabaneri ep.1
Did that zombie really just mimic and mock that child as it was eating her mother? That is some fucked up shit right there. That episode was a bloody mess throughout, but I guess that goes with the brutal society in which they live. That head dandle slice at the end was just the icing on the cake.

Maybe that was his daughter.

That was a fun first episode. I like the look of the walled city more than Attack on Titan because the the huge ass steam punk pipes running all over the place. Spoilers for the end of the episode: why did
the main character have that elaborate auto-erotic exphysiation gear ready to go? It seamed like he was supposed to be improvising after he got bit, but at the same time that setup looked like it was built to do exactly what it did.

I'm excited to see more battle trains.

Perhaps he has a fetish that also serves as a cure to zombie bites.

Loved the first episode. Sad I'll have to wait for the rest

That was pretty good, just wish that they'd hurry up with season 2 of AoT. The last thing I want is to get hooked on a new series with 3 year hiatuses -_-

No mention of Haruhiko Mikimoto in the OP. Shame on you, Metroid!

Episode got crazy at the end. And I'm not talking about the predictable zombie invasion. No idea how auto-erotic asphyxiation gets rid of the infection, but it worked! I'm guessing that you're fine as long as it doesn't reach the brain. I thought he was going to just chop his arm off.

I also thought it had something to do with the stone he had on his hand. It seemed like the bands stopped the virus from reaching his brain, yet it reached his hand and the stone at the same time, and then retreated.

Jarmel

Banned
Attack on Zombies-1
6aE0s9c.jpg
So this was noticeably better than Attack on Titan, although I sorely miss Mikasa's abs. It's a bit different than AoT though in that the Kabaneri present an omnipresent danger, much more so than the Titans. That's primarily because the infection element presents a hysteria that is present not only in the characters' actions but the structure of the society. Despite the production itself, Kabaneri resembles more of a traditional zombie story than AoT. The Kabaneri themselves are also in some ways more dangerous than the Titans in that there isn't any real countermeasure to them and they can very easily bring down a station if even one gets inside. Their designs are really neat with the glowing red lines and a cool narrative point is that their bites have an aesthetic in it that prevents a person from noticing they're bit.
KUBhZXZ.jpg
XRQ4K4a.jpg

Cool transition
The production itself is Araki to the core, for better and worse. Honestly though, nothing has come off as hilariously overblown like the death of Eren's mother in episode 1. Araki has a 'dramatic' element to his direction and that comes through in scenes like Ikoma defending that man. While it felt a bit overdone, it makes sense enough in the context of that world and ultimately that Ikoma was right about how twisted the world is now. Ikoma is very much a pariah in both his position in this society but also his thinking. Unlike Eren who just comes off as insane, Ikoma is instead just very driven. It's like watching a smarter less annoying Eren and thank god for that. I'm not sold on the side cast though as I'm not seeing potential Sashas. Setting is pretty cool and it feels earned due to Ikoma's area of expertise instead of just a way of separating the show from AoT.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the animation but then again there weren't many action sequences. Close-ups looked crazy good at times which made it more distracting when the 'regular' shots were used. I noticed a lot of speedlines and a few still frames but it wasn't too bad. I'm sure those will increase before Episode 11. Sountrack is Sawano as fuck. Dude only has one style nowadays and it's clear he's not rocking the boat train with this. Weirdly enough I actually liked that last song with Kobayashi (probably). Felt a bit darker than his usual stuff, maybe because I couldn't hear the lyrics that well (lol). So far, so good. I can see like a dozen of areas where the show can fall apart from the pacing, the side characters, and the animation but it has potential. Besides how many shows have autoerotic asphyxiation in them?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Production values were very good.
Monocled MC gets a golden star.
Setting looks cool, and characters entertaining.

This may end up being better than expected; although the zombie apocalypse is hilariously overused, this is a pretty good usage of it.

Jarmel

Banned
No mention of Haruhiko Mikimoto in the OP. Shame on you, Metroid!

Episode got crazy at the end. And I'm not talking about the predictable zombie invasion. No idea how auto-erotic asphyxiation gets rid of the infection, but it worked! I'm guessing that you're fine as long as it doesn't reach the brain. I thought he was going to just chop his arm off.

He cut off the oxygen to his brain. Presumably that's enough to stave off the progression.

Defuser

Kabaneri of the Iron fortress ep 1
Ok this got me. This is actually more entertaining than AoT. Okouchi is writing this? Time to get my popcorn.

Shouta

First ep was really good and reminded me a lot of the super grim OVAs from the 80s and early 90s in direction and feel but waaaaay more competent. Having Mikimoto's character designs and his aesthetic really helps on that front as well.

The episode was surprisingly simple though and laid out everything you need to know to follow the story. It just has a lot of terms that are in Japanese so can look like jargon if you aren't familiar with their original terms.

Definitely gonna watch if only for Mikimoto, lol.

He cut off the oxygen to his brain. Presumably that's enough to stave off the progression.
It kind of lost Me though in a comedic way when the purple shit instead of like regressing at a relatively ok pace to make it believable just like instantly went YOINK and zoomed back to the arm I chuckled.

Kaizer

Banned
Copying my impressions from the anime thread:

Attack On Titan: Fun With Trains! Edition Episode 01

Well, this show is certainly up my alley. I was already a fan of A.O.T., although I didn't love it and when I first saw the art for this show & heard it was being made by the same studio that handles Titan, my interest grew immediately. As an initial episode, it's pretty good so far, interested to see where they head with it. The show looks fantastic - hopefully the quality is consistent.

Seems to be aping the general idea of Attack on Titan pretty hard, complete with hints at political intrigue, tragic backstory, panicking citizens, and gore galore. The Kabaneri monsters themselves don't make as much an impression as the supremely creepy looking Titans, but good nonetheless. As I was watching I thought to myself, "well at least the main character doesn't have some special power or something" only for him to get bit & then somehow stave off the infection LMAO. No doubt this will endow him with the ability to become a zombie-killing machine.

Attack on Titan + Snowpiercer + zombies + feudal Japan = this and I liked it. I saw the similarities to Attack on Titan but it didn't bother me cause there are some original stuff (at least for me). Episode felt way to fast which IMO is a sign that its good. I thought I heard Eren and yep this OT conforms it. The music was the thing that really reminded me of Attack on Titan. Overall good first episode, 8/10 minus 1 point because of the similarities to Attack on Titan so 7/10.

Corven

Huh, didn't think I would like it as much as I did.

The episode went by very fast though, felt more like 10 minutes rather than 22.

Although I have to call into question how this society has had to deal with this stuff for 20 years and it is only the main character that seems to have studied how these zombies function.

I don't know if this is just me making assumptions or if it was legitimate foreshadowing but having Mumei show off what seemed to look like unnatural physical strength during the same scene as the main character resisting the infection makes me think that there are probably some side effects that come along with surviving the infection, which will most likely end up being enhanced physical ability or some other weirdness.

massoluk

Banned
Incredibly beautiful and fantastic episode. Attack on Titan + Snowpiercer works pretty well. I'm liking the protagonist being somewhat brainy. Mikimoto designs are great.

We'll see if they can shake off Attack on Train moniker, but I'm so very in.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Huh, didn't think I would like it as much as I did.

The episode went by very fast though, felt more like 10 minutes rather than 22.

Although I have to call into question how this society has had to deal with this stuff for 20 years and it is only the main character that seems to have studied how these zombies function.

I don't know if this is just me making assumptions or if it was legitimate foreshadowing but having Mumei show off what seemed to look like unnatural physical strength during the same scene as the main character resisting the infection makes me think that there are probably some side effects that come along with surviving the infection, which will most likely end up being enhanced physical ability or some other weirdness.
That's not strange at all, autopsy has basically been outlawed by many civilizations for the majority of mankind's existence especially in Europe, why would you think this society with such a deadly plague would be inclined to go around studying dead bodies.

Defuser

Just to let you know Mumei is 12 years old. So be careful of what you say about her lest you want to be on the FBI's list.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Virus turns you when it hits the brain. He choked himself so oxygen wouldn't get there. Probably something to do with his pendant on the palm as well.

Thanks, explains somewhat.

Really good episode overall - looking forward to more.

How did he not turn? Confused there.

He had been studying the disease and had a theory that
the virus needs to reach the brain in a very short time frame or it dies. So he cut off all circulation to his head, and the virus wasn't able to spread to the brain.

Probably something to do with his pendant on the palm as well.

I got the impression that that was just a memento from his mom that motivated him. Could have some bullshit magic powers that pop up later in the show, but pretty sure it didn't have anything to do with that scene.

bigedole

Keep seeing people say "The whole zombie apocalypse thing is over done but this could be good.."

How exactly is it overdone? I have seen a very large amount of anime and I can't think of more than a few shows that took a serious approach to the zombie apocalypse genre. What am I missing here?

Keep seeing people say "The whole zombie apocalypse thing is over done but this could be good.."

How exactly is it overdone? I have seen a very large amount of anime and I can't think of more than a few shows that took a serious approach to the zombie apocalypse genre. What am I missing here?

You're missing media that aren't anime

bigedole

If it's a comment based on other media then I can understand though I'd still disagree. One of the reasons I enjoy anime so much is the unique ability it has to tackle subject matter when you don't have to try and make it look real, or construct it from real objects. You know, big robots, fantastical creatures/super powers, etc.

kirblar

The Walking Dead.

I think the bigger problem with most zombie stories is there really is only one kind of basic story arc

People are holed up in a safe place and think they're invincible -> people do something stupid and fuck it up -> zombies break in and kill a lot of people -> people on the run looking for a safe place -> people find a safe place and hole up there -> repeat from step one

Obviously the details can change a long the way but you generally see that progress in every zombie story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom