• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayMay

Banned
This was amazing, damn. Liked the first episode way more than AoT already. Hope this keeps up a nice quality.

Pacing of the ep was top imo.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Did it ever get spoken out that those not-zombies regenerate if the heart isn't blown?
Or if this isn't the case, why does MC care so much about blowing out their hearts?

I think the bigger problem with most zombie stories is there really is only one kind of basic story arc

People are holed up in a safe place and think they're invincible -> people do something stupid and fuck it up -> zombies break in and kill a lot of people -> people on the run looking for a safe place -> people find a safe place and hole up there -> repeat from step one

Obviously the details can change a long the way but you generally see that progress in every zombie story

No, no.

People are holed up in a safe place and think they're invincible ->
people do something stupid and fuck it up ->
zombies break in and kill a lot of people ->
people on the run looking for a safe place ->
people find a safe place and hole up there ->
people hold the place up, but realize they need to go somewhere to get a cure ->
cure is a lie ->
[GOOD SHOW] The End | [BAD SHOW] repeat from 1.

If it's a comment based on other media then I can understand though I'd still disagree. One of the reasons I enjoy anime so much is the unique ability it has to tackle subject matter when you don't have to try and make it look real, or construct it from real objects. You know, big robots, fantastical creatures/super powers, etc.

but you can't really ignore that basic tropes and story structures are followed because they transcend the medium they're on. You can't ignore that zombie stories are overdone now.

Doesn't mean I'll stop watching the show but if I had to choose between zombies and freaking mummies at this point I'd go for mummies.

tensuke

but you can't really ignore that basic tropes and story structures are followed because they transcend the medium they're on. You can't ignore that zombie stories are overdone now.

Doesn't mean I'll stop watching the show but if I had to choose between zombies and freaking mummies at this point I'd go for mummies.

Just wait for next year when the Industrial Era-Japanese-Ancient Egypt attack on mummies clone comes out where the MC becomes a pharaoh (he's bit by a mummy, dies, is mummified, but the pyramid-shaped puzzle he put together earlier revives him as a pharaoh mummy). Takes place entirely within a pyramid city.

Shirke

I know it was a do or die situation, but damn, Ikoma really has balls or is just crazy for being willing to harm himself like that without hesitation.

Cutting his wrist to draw the Kabane away was one thing, but then burning himself, bolting pieces of metal onto his body and choking himself with machinery is something else. I'm surprised he didn't die from blood loss or something.

Wanderer5

I know it was a do or die situation, but damn, Ikoma really has balls or is just crazy for being willing to harm himself like that without hesitation.

Cutting his wrist to draw the Kabane away was one thing, but then burning himself, bolting pieces of metal onto his body and choking himself with machinery is something else. I'm surprised he didn't die from blood loss or something.

Dat determination; so freaking awesome lol. The asphyxiation scene is going down to being one of the most epic and memorable scenes in anime for me. Like damn, the timing, the editing, the Sawano lyrics music coming in, and those close ups. Just excellent all around.

6aE0s9c.jpg

JCG

If they can keep up that level of detail in the series then it'll be a stellar anime.

I don't think they will, but the show could still look above average...especially if WIT's production schedule doesn't abruptly collapse.

Hopefully Amazon's involvement (I am mainly thinking of their loads of cash here) will help rather than hurt in that respect.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was a solid episode and I liked what I've seen especially the steampunk setting.
The show doesn't hide the fact that it is an Attack on Titan clone,
which is fine but I hope the (main-)characters aren't as one dimensional caricatures and the tone of the show as over dramatic as AoT.
It became too silly for me to really enjoy the show so I hope that this show does a better job handling this.

wildfire

Banned
The only reason I'm watching this because the art style harkens back to the less simpler techniques they used in the 80s. Is there any other modern anime where they don't cheap out on the coloring and animation?

The only reason I'm watching this because the art style harkens back to the less simpler techniques they used in the 80s. Is there any other modern anime where they don't cheap out on the coloring and animation?

"Cheap out"? That's simply not true. The visual style Kabaneri is going for is extremely difficult to achieve, requires a ton of people to accomplish, is already inconsistently applied in the first episode, and is likely to cause a meltdown of the production midway through. I hate the image of the 80s as a golden age when every anime was elaborately detailed and shaded, but if you look past a few notable movies and OVAs you'll see that's not true at all. People seem to forget all about 80s TV anime when they make statements like that.

Anyway, if you want the best productions digital anime can offer, Hyouka and Dennou Coil are probably the best produced TV anime out there. There's other digital anime with noteworthy experimental visuals (Space Dandy) and unique visual approaches only digital can provide (Mononoke); let us know if you're interested in that.

I don't think they can keep up this quality for long and I'm waiting for the moment it drops to the shitter unless they have a gigantic studio working on it with a big budget.

One Punch Man was a labor of love in animation and that seemed like a one off and still had its issues here and there. The biggest issue here is the amount of detail more so than the animation.

I like how that the longer the show went on the more it became like AoT..... then the ending OP happened, bam 3D maneuver gear but with guns instead of swords
KuGsj.gif

also it was kind of weird that they stopped the train during the day for inspection but not at night

blakep267

Cool first ep. I like he premise and the main character. But I have to see how that girl character turns out. If she's standard typical anime girl stereotype of be disappointed.

Akainu

Why isn't the standard operating procedure to have the bridge up and stop the train all the time? This whole thing could have been avoided.

RangerBAD

I like how that the longer the show went on the more it became like AoT..... then the ending OP happened, bam 3D maneuver gear but with guns instead of swords
KuGsj.gif

also it was kind of weird that they stopped the train during the day for inspection but not at night

Why isn't the standard operating procedure to have the bridge up and stop the train all the time? This whole thing could have been avoided.

It had to pull in to get inspected. Since it was out of control, how could they stop it to inspect it? The real stop in logic is how they don't have a signal system in place before lowering the bridge. If they had that system, they would have known something was up.

Akainu

It had to pull in to get inspected. Since it was out of control, how could they stop it to inspect it? The real stop in logic is how they don't have a signal system in place before lowering the bridge. If they had that system, they would have known something was up.

I'm talking about near the end. They shouldn't have had the bridge down to begin with is what I'm saying. The stopped train should be a prerequisite to the first. I just didn't put them in order.

I imagine the reason they don't stop the train and inspect from a distance is that a stopped train is probably too easy for the Kabaneri to attack look how they attacked the one train moving full speed in the opening. Really they should have either had a longer bridge or a system in place in case of runaway zombie train to detonate the far away part of the tracks.

They need inner walls. Even if there is no Kabeneri the current system leads a whole bunch of possibly armed people right into the city.

Akainu

Now that I think about it they probably shouldn't have tunnels leading straight into the city. Even if the train stops so much of it is still covered.

Kinyou

It's kind of crazy how derivative this is of Attack on Titan, but I can't deny that I enjoyed it. The sequence with the protagonist almost killing himself was pretty damn good.

KuGsj.gif

I think the first train had to stop because it came in ahead of schedule. For the night train they preemptively lowered the bridge because they knew it was about to arrive. The whole system is still pretty poorly thought out. What if a train arrives with lots of those things still clinging on? They shouldn't lower the bridge until they know that the train is clear of them.

No wonder that the stations are getting overrun, lol

Damn that first ep was fantastic! So hyped for more.

Really liked where the characters and story are starting (loved Attack on Titan as well) and the animation and soundtrack were jaw-dropping. Can't wait for more.

Great OP too.

It's kind of crazy how derivative this is of Attack on Titan, but I can't deny that I enjoyed it. The sequence with the protagonist almost killing himself was pretty damn good.

Yup, as a fan of Attack on Titan I loved this first ep.

Episode 2

the opening kinda gave a ton of spoilers away

they should've kept it the same way it was for the first episode

now we know via opening that
the protag's sister (or girl from his past) is that Kabani slaying girl

on another note that lever scene was well done.... basically really down to earth on how some people would act if everyone rejected them as a monster

save them in spite but then emotionally break down later via opening spoilers again
he would've been left behind too if it wasn't for his sister (or girl from his past) dragging his sorry ass

lastly lol at the rough subs.... Peasant-chan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Episode 2

(spoilers below)

The fuck is up with that guard dude being such a dick and a tsun tsun. "I it's not like I wanted you to save us b-baka"

It's getting annoying. And yeah the fact they also have their equivalent of Titan shifters/half breeds it's hilarious come on resident Choo Choo. At least the show had an amazing display of the beauty of male friendship I'm sure DTL will love. And if they're going the sister route hopefully they discover it fast because the OP like slaps you in the face with it.

Edit: MetroidPrimeRib what's the spoiler policy in the thread? How much time after it airs are spoiler tags necessary?

Cornbread78

Edit: MetroidPrimeRib what's the spoiler policy in the thread? How much time after it airs are spoiler tags necessary?

Usually, no spoilers are needed in OT's as episodes become available as long as they ate not manga/LN spoilers that are ahead of the current plot. It's an implied danger of specific OT's to not enter if you haven't watched the current episode yet.

kewlmyc

Usually, no spoilers are needed in OT's as episodes become available as long as they ate not manga/LN spoilers that are ahead of the current plot. It's an implied danger of specific OT's to not enter if you haven't watched the current episode yet.

Considering the episode hasn't aired yet, shouldn't this be an exception this week?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Knowing the threat of Kabane, shouldn't they have the trains come to full stops before even lowering the bridge just so what happened in Episode 1 doesn't happen again? Seems to be the only real way to be sure that the train hasn't been compromised.

Arkeband

Banned
Maybe I missed it but I don't even understand why they have a train, much like how Snowpiercer's train's existence made virtually no sense.

The style used in this reminds me of the glory that is Gundam Origin.

The pacing was excellent, I will be amazed if they can keep this up throughout.

The characters all drew in my interest.

That ending fucking sent me over the top.

I am now too excited about this to be rational.

I missed anime like this. The 80's/90's OVA violence and flair, but with competent narrative? I wanna freebase this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom