• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

scxzor

Neo Member
Hey guys.

It's Andrew from J-stiq and PS3 Fanboy. Let me make a note about the AI real quick. I've been lucky enough to play through multiple builds of Killzone, and the one that I got yesterday showed great improvement over the one I received a month ago. The framerate was a bit unstable in the earlier build, and the AI wasn't too great. The newest build has much more intense enemy AI -- although your partners leave a lot to be desired. Considering Guerrilla has two more months to polish the game, I'm pretty damn excited.

Hope that helps.

AndyD

aka andydumi
FirewalkR said:
I like how all the journalists sound like they are restraining themselves when commenting about the graphics, searching for elaborate prose to conceal their true feelings.

I also like the complete reversal on your stance, BruceLeeRoy. You lacked conviction not to watch the videos, and instead allowed Killzone 2's awesomeness to embrace you fully. :lol

I dont think LLOLOLOMFGFGFGBBBQBQBAWSMSMSMSAUCE is something we will see in an IGN review ever...

That said, I wonder how many are secretly hating on it, because its too good, and they just cant say anything.

FirewalkR said:
I like how all the journalists sound like they are restraining themselves when commenting about the graphics, searching for elaborate prose to conceal their true feelings.

I also like the complete reversal on your stance, BruceLeeRoy. You lacked conviction not to watch the videos, and instead allowed Killzone 2's awesomeness to embrace you fully. :lol

I know man I am a damn glutton.

scxzor said:
Hey guys.

It's Andrew from J-stiq and PS3 Fanboy. Let me make a note about the AI real quick. I've been lucky enough to play through multiple builds of Killzone, and the one that I got yesterday showed great improvement over the one I received a month ago. The framerate was a bit unstable in the earlier build, and the AI wasn't too great. The newest build has much more intense enemy AI -- although your partners leave a lot to be desired. Considering Guerrilla has two more months to polish the game, I'm pretty damn excited.

Hope that helps.

Good to know.
Your write up was a great read thanks for all the detailed impressions.

deepbrown

hulot said:
That's rather demystifying.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Why because my vocab doesn't match yours? I studied film studies for three years, so yes I do know what I'm talking about.

zoukka said:
Beating Grays of War and Genericstance in their own game doesn't induce tears of amazement from me sorry.
I'm not talking about either of them. List games with "good art" and describe why KZ2 does not match them with its art style. You might not personally like it, but if you have an eye for art and design, you'd easily recognise all the things GG are doing with their art that other game developers haven't even attempted.

Tom Penny

scxzor said:
Hey guys.

Hope that helps.

Good to hear. Can you just off your partners then or do you need them :lol

antiloop

scxzor said:
Hey guys.

Hope that helps.

Sounds good. Considering I have never been impressed with A.I in game before it's not a big deal to me but better is good. I don't want a walk in the park. :)

Wow holy shit!!! Guerrilla Games are programing masters!!!

IGN US said:
There's much more to the Killzone 2 engine than deferred rendering and screen passes; in fact, Arjan mentioned that every composite that is rendered within the game is placed solely upon the SPUs to lock in the framerate at a solid 30 FPS. During small battles, one or two SPUs will pick up a majority of the action, but during heavy firefights with large explosions and numerous characters onscreen, all six SPUs will pick up the load and balance everything accurately. Surprisingly, even within the heaviest firefight onscreen, Arjan pointed out that the largest load on each one of the SPUs didn't exceed 60%, which ensured that the framerate remained consistent throughout the game.

Wow...

scxzor

Neo Member
Tom Penny said:
Good to hear. Can you just off your partners then or do you need them :lol

You CAN kill them. But you don't really want to. There a good deal of enemies in the game, and having AI partners really helps. I can't imagine getting through the later levels without the AI help. The problem is... the AI likes to get killed... a lot. (I need co-op, Guerrilla!)

antiloop said:
Sounds good. Considering I have never been impressed with A.I in game before it's not a big deal to me but better is good. I don't want a walk in the park. :)

This is NOT a walk in the park. I'd say that "Normal" is more like CoD4's "Hardened" difficulty.

scxzor said:
You CAN kill them. But you don't really want to. There a good deal of enemies in the game, and having AI partners really helps. I can't imagine getting through the later levels without the AI help. The problem is... the AI likes to get killed... a lot. (I need co-op, Guerrilla!)

This is NOT a walk in the park. I'd say that "Normal" is more like CoD4's "Hardened" difficulty.

Anyone remember when GG said that toned the buddy AI down because it made the game to easy?

hulot

deepbrown said:
Why because my vocab doesn't match yours? I studied film studies for three years, so yes I do know what I'm talking about.
Confirmed. Do you just like vaguely generalizing your use of 'art-film' as a term or are you simply saying that your particular enthusiasm finds the aesthetic of this videogame appealing?

scxzor said:
Hey guys.

Hope that helps.
So you finally got past the tank section?

Some more good news.
Killzone 2 strikes that perfect balance and even manages to avoid one crippling flaw: constant re-spawning. Once you've dealt with your enemies, you can be rest assured that they won't be coming back anymore, and I commend Killzone 2 for that.

edit: link http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-previews/265.html

No infinitely re-spawning enemies until you cross a check point like Call of Duty. I hope the next Call of Duty gets rid of that crap.

Also looking at one of the first videos it looks like they give you a detonator now for blowing up the bombs you place on doors instead of the timed explosives they had before.

Firewire

Banned
OMG! I'm truly floored by these video's! I never thought it would be this good!

(goes back to finish off the video's)

PS: Thank You TTP & Blimblim for all these excellent video's!

zoukka

deepbrown said:
I'm not talking about either of them. List games with "good art" and describe why KZ2 does not match them with its art style. You might not personally like it, but if you have an eye for art and design, you'd easily recognise all the things GG are doing with their art that other game developers haven't even attempted.

I think you really missed my original post or something because I responded to a post, describing this game as one of the best in the industry art-wise. A statement which usually goes auto-ignored by me, because well how often does the king of visuals change now again? But we had these lovely shots of this game on the same page and I just had to type in something...

I mean you have this REALLY generic mohawk dude with ridiculous gear moving around in a wasteland-esque enviroments with fucking factories on the background. And yes the factories have these huge pipes coming out of 'em too :lol

I mean this batch of screens could be from any shooter and the only thing that separates 'em from anything else really, are the helghast armors and eyes. Which again, are not any work of originality or geniuses in the art-department.

I'm definately not going to list games with "better" art, because I don't want to derail this thread or anything. My original post was just about this game here MOS DEF not being the prettiest game ever made. Not even fucking close and we are talking about leagues here of distance. Then again, personal opinions in some cases turn automatically to trolling in some threads...

And to make sure even the laziest of readers get the point, I'm not bashing the visual side of this game. It is indeed technically probably the coolest game so far this gen and the artistic grip is nice and firm. But to my eyes, it still looms as another generic showdown between generic soldiers on a generic battlefield.

And it's funny you mentioned your studies and "eye for visuals", because I too have studied graphic media and art. High five!

zoukka said:
I think you really missed my original post or something because I responded to a post, describing this game as one of the best in the industry art-wise. A statement which usually goes auto-ignored by me, because well how often does the king of visuals change now again? But we had these lovely shots of this game on the same page and I just had to type in something...

I mean you have this REALLY generic mohawk dude with ridiculous gear moving around in a wasteland-esque enviroments with fucking factories on the background. And yes the factories have these huge pipes coming out of 'em too :lol

I mean this batch of screens could be from any shooter and the only thing that separates 'em from anything else really, are the helghast armors and eyes. Which again, are not any work of originality or geniuses in the art-department.

I'm definately not going to list games with "better" art, because I don't want to derail this thread or anything. My original post was just about this game here MOS DEF not being the prettiest game ever made. Not even fucking close and we are talking about leagues here of distance. Then again, personal opinions in some cases turn automatically to trolling in some threads...

And to make sure even the laziest of readers get the point, I'm not bashing the visual side of this game. It is indeed technically probably the coolest game so far this gen and the artistic grip is nice and firm. But to my eyes, it still looms as another generic showdown between generic soldiers on a generic battlefield.

And it's funny you mentioned your studies and "eye for visuals", because I too have studied graphic media and art. High five!
:lol
Dude shut up.

deepbrown

zoukka said:

Well the generic characters etc is more original design, where in fact I'm talking about the aesthetic art on the screen - because it's artistically beautiful IMO. I think we're talking about different things :) Which is fine. :D

2dj9phl.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
InterMoniker said:
Some more good news.

edit: link http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-previews/265.html

No infinitely re-spawning enemies until you cross a check point like Call of Duty. I hope the next Call of Duty gets rid of that crap.

Also looking at one of the first videos it looks like they give you a detonator now for blowing up the bombs you place on doors instead of the timed explosives they had before.

THANK GOD!!

I hate infinite respawn. Its a method to force you to play a certain way, and it was one of the things I hated in COD4. It made me run when I didn't want to, use guns I didn't want to. And it wasn't even for the sake of some grand story or anything, it was just so you dont stand around.

Esch

Banned
zoukka, you don't see anything special or striking in the architecture or character design? Look, it might be a generic premise but we're playing videogames here ffs. Look at Blizzard! They have games based on mocked memes in videogaming: High fantasy, space marines etc... But they still have awesome art nonetheless(that people obsess over). I don't think you're taking in the full Killzone universe as it is, because only a blind man could deny that this game has a very stylized look that sets itself apart. The proof is in the reception.. It's "another gray shooter hur dur" yet people are going nuts for it. And no amount of tech alone can do that.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This game looks fucking incredible.

The first game that really wowed me this gen was Ghost Recon. Then Gears was released and ever since Gears I've felt we've been in some kind of graphical purgatory with few games pushing new boundaries. Gears 2, LBP, Prince of Persia, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and now this. This gen is starting to wow me again.

zoukka

EschatonDX said:
zoukka, you don't see anything special or striking in the architecture or character design? Look, it might be a generic premise but we're playing videogames here ffs. Look at Blizzard! They have games based on mocked memes in videogaming: High fantasy, space marines etc... But they still have awesome art nonetheless(that people obsess over). I don't think you're taking in the full Killzone universe as it is, because only a blind man could deny that this game has a very stylized look that sets itself apart. The proof is in the reception.. It's "another gray shooter hur dur" yet people are going nuts for it. And no amount of tech alone can do that.

I think you struck gold there man, I mean I really don't enjoy Blizzard games in the art-department either. But like you said (and like I already said) they're fine in their own field and within the competition. And don't go telling me I'm in the minority here because it's pretty fucking obvious, and it's true in so many other areas in my life too :lol

But that's what you get when you create art all your life and have to go through zillions of designs daily. It really fucks up your taste (though I will NOT admit I have bad taste... just really refined you m-fckers :D )

And I disagree with that "tech alone" part a bit, because it's obvious that a really big part of this games visual appeal comes from the jizztastic tech they are running no?

zoukka said:
I think you struck gold there man, I mean I really don't enjoy Blizzard games in the art-department either. But like you said (and like I already said) they're fine in their own field and within the competition. And don't go telling me I'm in the minority here because it's pretty fucking obvious, and it's true in so many other areas in my life too :lol

But that's what you get when you create art all your life and have to go through zillions of designs daily. It really fucks up your taste (though I will NOT admit I have bad taste... just really refined you m-fckers :D )

And I disagree with that "tech alone" part a bit, because it's obvious that a really big part of this games visual appeal comes from the jizztastic tech they are running no?

What do you design? I have been designing ads for 14 years and I think this game has some
of the best art this gen.

Esch

Banned
zoukka said:

Fair enough :lol

Well yeah I agree for sure that a great deal of this game's appeal comes from tech. But what's more impressive than that tech is how the art and tech come together to create an atmosphere, a feel. I strongly believe this.

Zen

Banned
InterMoniker said:
This preview build is only at 60%? :lol Wow these guys (Guerilla) are insane!!! :D

Is that really what they meant, the quote is really confusing. It sounds like they limited the data flow to the SPE's/disabled graphic related calls that pushed them above a....

Tempy, please help us out here. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom