• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoukka

Hehe that's the bolt gun right? It was pretty funny in Painkiller :)

BruceLeeRoy said:
What do you design? I have been designing ads for 14 years and I think this game has some
of the best art this gen.

Posters and other printable shit. Right now I do comics though.

Firewire

Banned
Currently watching "Convoy Part 2" and I'm in shock, I feel as though I'm in a real war, the sounds, the sparks, the tracer bullets, the bullet shells flying about and the screams from those soon to be dead are just fantastic! There is so much going on all around, the helghast moving along the ramps taking pot shots, its just awesome!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
SolidSnakex said:
Where did this beast of a gun come from?

2iaanbr.gif

NAIL GUN!!!!:lol

Esch

Banned
Zeliard said:
Now give me a lightning gun, Guerilla, and I'm set.

Call me kerrazy, but I think I saw one in the helghan trailer. Or at least enemies getting shot by lightning.

EDIT: That nailgun is FUCKING awesome. Wow. Reminds me of the crossbow from HL2 actually.

zoukka said:
Hehe that's the bolt gun right? It was pretty funny in Painkiller :)

Posters and other printable shit. Right now I do comics though.

I find it interesting that you don't like the art in that case. But to each his own
tis the spice of life.

panda21

Zen said:
Is that really what they meant, the quote is really confusing. It sounds like they limited the data flow to the SPE's/disabled graphic related calls that pushed them above a....

Tempy, please help us out here. :lol

nonono

he's saying that even when the game has loads going on, the SPU's are only using about 60% of their power, not that they limited the SPU's to 60% to get 30fps (that doesnt make sense anyway :p)

so there is room for 40% more awesome!!!! :lol

zoukka

BruceLeeRoy said:
I find it interesting that you don't like the art in that case. But to each his own
tis the spice of life.

Hey in the company of other current shooters Killzone looks great.

RavenFox

Banned
recklessmind said:
Look at the effort they put into that scope. They don't just black out everything around the reticle like most games... you can see the knobs, there's weapon sway, and you can even see Sev working the bolt.

It's disgusting.

edit: A little bit of motion blur would make that even sweeter. :D

Damn I paid attention and that is just sic. Everything else has been owned. This is ridiculous. Play beyond indeed.

Zeliard

panda21 said:
nonono

he's saying that even when the game has loads going on, the SPU's are only using about 60% of their power, not that they limited the SPU's to 60% to get 30fps (that doesnt make sense anyway :p)

so there is room for 40% more awesome!!!! :lol

I think his point wasn't that there was leftover space, but rather that since they're making sure each SPU core doesn't exceed 60% usage, they're keeping them from fluctuating all over the place (and the FPS, as a result). At least, if I'm understanding it correctly.

iceatcs

I'm deaf and have very good lip-reading, I can tell most of mouth movements are from E3.
But subtitle and voice are different to lip esp Rico said "Time to die!" in lip movement but the sound is "Let's go!"

panda21

Zeliard said:
I think his point wasn't that there was leftover space, but rather that since they're making sure each SPU core doesn't exceed 60% usage, they're keeping them from fluctuating all over the place (and the FPS, as a result). At least, if I'm understanding it correctly.

well it sounds like they spread the load between SPU's as more stuff starts happening, and doing so even in the most intense situations no single one is using more than 60%.

it would be pretty stupid of them to limit the spus to not go above 60%, its more an effect of balancing the load over them all. it also means they could add more and not have frame rate problems (which in theory wouldnt happen till you get to '100%' but that depends)

Zeliard said:

That's what I thought he was saying.

Zeliard

panda21 said:
well it sounds like they spread the load between SPU's as more stuff starts happening, and doing so even in the most intense situations no single one is using more than 60%.

it would be pretty stupid of them to limit the spus to not go above 60%, its more an effect of balancing the load over them all. it also means they could add more and not have frame rate problems (which in theory wouldnt happen till you get to '100%' but that depends)

Well, I doubt they set some hard cap on 60%, but rather ended up finding out that it was the magic number as far as what they could balance out in relatively equal measures throughout all the cores in order to run the game properly.

One thing you can be sure of is that Killzone 2 is a very pretty game. Guerrilla's in-house engine uses deferred rendering, separating its various filters such as motion blur, film grain and bloom onto six of the PS3's SPUs, to create a cinematic blend of visual effects without damaging the frame-rate, while the art department is focusing in on the design details that will help tell the story. Weapons and vehicles both play their parts in differentiating the two warring factions, from the nasty, wooden-stocked, rusting guns and predatory aircraft of the Helghast, hinting at a society that's both brutal and stagnant, to the slicker, cleaner rifles of the ISA, whose tanks and planes resemble existing military technology that's just been nudged forward a few years.

By and large though, the real polish is being applied to the environments. Guerrilla's first game played out in a muddy warren of swamps and corridors, but the sequel takes the fight back to the Helghast's home planet. Killzone 2 tells an unusual war story, then: you're not the underdog anymore. In fact, the ISA are now all but victorious, zeroing in on the last enclave of a weakened enemy.

"We knew the Helghast are fascist and wanted that to be reflected in their world, but we didn't want it to be too big and rich, so we made it cramped and dirty: China or Moscow rather than Berlin," says art director Jan-Bart Van Beek. The results are a cobbled-together futuristic slum, a decaying urban sprawl that threatens to spill apart. Rather than streets, the levels flow through empty concrete riverbeds, and there are signs of oppression and neglect everywhere.

But the game's in no danger of becoming samey - the city we've seen already isn't the only environment, and the rest display a surprising range of styles. A later visit to a forgotten Helghast outpost features carcasses of industrial buildings constructed from the bones of the spaceships that first landed there. The inspiration lies with Pakistani ship-breaking wharfs where boats are stripped for parts, and while it means yet more factories to plod through in a first-person shooter, these have a haunting, mysterious quality that makes them different: a mixture of the sad, the brutal, and the gently exotic. And in every location, the toxic variety of Helghan is always present. In the game's fiction, the planet's polluted atmosphere is itself a Class III toxin, and the ravaged weather system's lightning flashes and dust storms seem likely to have an influence on the level construction.

Guerrilla's proud of the world it's created, but it isn't about to let visual excess lead the game over a cliff. In amongst presentations on lighting, dynamic music and weapon design, the word we hear most often is "balance". Take visuals: too much detail and your eyes don't know where to look. The outcome? You're run over by a tank while you're staring at the wallpaper. Killzone 2's environments are full of intricacies, but the developer is careful to use lighting and blur to guide you towards the important details. It's the same with physics: "We still want to have a game that's progressable," says development director Arjan Brussee. "Sometimes you can do things which are too much: blow up a tank in the middle of the road and it's hard to get around it. As with everything else, it's finding that balance between the destructible and the non-destructible."

Looks and physics will only get you so far, however, and when it comes to the core experience, the developers have a simple goal. They want to make Killzone 2 one of the most intense console shooters around, and that means zeroing on the simple business of killing people. The team has identified weak hit-response as one of the key elements that damaged the first game, and they've spent a lot of time working on a blend of physics and animation to improve it. Where previously enemies would scarcely react as you fired endless clips into their stomachs, they now jolt, twist and writhe under the impact of bullets, before slumping to the ground after a more realistically brief onslaught. It may seem like a strange detail to fixate on, but it's astonishing how much drama the right reactions can bring to the game's shootouts. When you fire guns in Killzone 2, it's immediately obvious that you're making things happen, and the result is a more involving experience, even on a short playthrough.

AI was an arguably a bigger problem with the original game, and it's another aspect the team have taken pains to address. "With AI the frustrating thing is if you get 90 per cent right, that last ten per cent with someone who gets stuck on a wall can let you down," says game designer Rob Heald. "Killzone 2's AI is still an evolution of the AI in the original, we haven't started from scratch. But we have taken advantage of the technology. The AI can make more decisions, decide between greater threats and different inputs. They're capable of dealing with a much more dynamic world. You'll see a lot more rolling out of the way of grenades, flanking, avoiding destructible objects. It's a cliché, but you won't see the same encounter play out twice. And there's more variety in the enemies: there's long-range guys, and short-range guys who will move in and flush you out."

The controls will take some getting used to. An emphasis on realistic recoil means that Killzone 2's weapons can initially feel unwieldy rather than simply weighty, and the slightly slippery aim, which seems too slow in the centre of the screen and too quick at the edges, is going to require acclimatisation for any hardcore COD players. But even though the game allows you generous options for tweaking sensitivities, assigning different button layouts, and effectively recreating any other game's mapping, the more we played, the less we wanted to substitute Guerrilla's control scheme for something more familiar. After an hour or so, Killzone's layout starts to make sense, its weak running and gunning options forcing you to find a space and make use of the iron sights, while the slightly slow turning and lengthy reload animations draw you into a game that plays out at a tenser, more measured pace than COD or Halo.

Throw in a cover system - in single-player only - that doesn't take the player out of the first-person perspective, but instead relies on a surprisingly cinematic lean-and-peak mechanic, and you have a seriously tactical, if traditional shooter starting to find its feet. The overall feeling of what we've played so far is a carefully constructed solidity: Killzone 2's world may not constantly surprise you, but it's remarkably tangible, from the heavy guns, to the thick, alien wind roaring in your face, and the drunken staggers of dying enemies. Despite its conservative aims - rather than introduce new ideas, Guerrilla wants to perfect a few old ones - no other shooter plays quite like Killzone 2, and no other shooter looks quite like it, either. That's a risk in a market as saturated as this, but the one thing Guerrilla has never struggled with is drawing attention to itself. Now at last there are promising indications that it's got the game to go along with the hype.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=323948

I must admit that KZ2 visuals are the best this gen to date imho..and im a HUGE HUGE 360 fan..i just love the 360 for its massive lineup of AAA games on the machine but nothing and i mean NOTHING looks this good this generation.....As i said earlier, i think KZ2 surpasses Crysis graphics on a high end pc...not by a lot but overall with the atmosphere, presentation and graphics that rival crysis and in some cases beats crysis ..it is just PROOF that consoles this generation can hang with high end pc visuals.... and who ever says no is a damn fool!!

Again, this is PROOF that this generation consoles can achieve Crysis Level Graphics....no? :D

Usually the people that hate on a game as in this case either does not have a ps3, or is a fanboy of another system or is a hard headed pc only gamer that hates it when a console can outdo pc graphics in videogames.

Im just fucking happy as hell that i own a high end pc, 360 and a ps3 so i wont miss any of these great games. :D

EDIT: I did play the KZ2 beta yesterday at my friends house who is a HUGE PS fan..i left his house in utter shock after playing KZ2. That CG video from a few E3's ago has been surpassed by the in-game KZ2 engine

thuway

CHRP718 said:
so using 60% of the 6 spu's is really like using 3.6 spu's at 100%.

As the years go by, and hardware and tricks become more familiar, you will be seeing graphical leaps that were unimaginable. In two years, they'll be able to pull this shit off, with only 20% of the SPUs.

So the majority of publication sites and media have had a chance to write a preview on this build for
around a month and the embargo is up so where the heck are they?

k79

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
So the majority of publication sites and media have had a chance to write a preview on this build for
around a month and the embargo is up so where the heck are they?

I'd like to know this as well.

Dante said:
I think someone said there's a rod gun that can stick enemies to walls.

I think it was mentioned that there is a trophy for that (much earlier in this thread). Also, you can see that TTP has the option to pick it up (bolt gun) in the Sniper video (Gamersyde), but opts for the shotgun instead.

Also, who from the beta wasn't thinking about FF when TTP took out that one sniper from behind?! I swear, it is probably the only way to take that guy out!

Since the game is streaming from disc there are a few bouts of pop-in, not Uncharted heavy but little things like armor detail and vehicle detail.

Just saying, sometimes I wish the game didn't even try to put them back in since it is hardly noticeable they are missing.

Only a thought. :D
These videos are like turkey day food, better on day two. :lol

The part where they crash land on the beach and Rico's mouth says "TIME TO DIE" but the
words that come out sound like some guy stepping out of a volkswagon commercial, good lord
that had me rolling. LETS GO!! :lol

Corrupt

BruceLeeRoy said:
The part where they crash land on the beach and Rico's mouth says "TIME TO DIE" but the
words that come out sound like some guy stepping out of a volkwagon commercial good lord
that had me rolling. LETS GO!! :lol
:lol I'm still hoping they use the original dialogue from the E307 trailer, "Right now I can't feel my nuts". So awesome.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kyoufu said:
Not knocking on TTP's skills here but any videos that feature some fast paced skillful action?

Theres videos from multiple players around.

That said it wont be a fast paced Halo by any means, so I hope you are not looking for anything like that.

Anyone surprised at Eurogamers preview? I know the IGN AU one was total crap, but I would expect unnecessary roughness from others who tend to be critical of PS3 games as well. Kinda gives me hope about the 1up preview.

Also ... it's good to hear they got a hold of the controls better than they did in the beta.

Fenderputty said:
Anyone surprised at Eurogamers preview? I know the IGN AU one was total crap, but I would expect unnecessary roughness from others who tend to be critical of PS3 games as well. Kinda gives me hope about the 1up preview.

Also ... it's good to hear they got a hold of the controls better than they did in the beta.

Yeah the thing that everyone seems to realize about the controls is that at first they want their typical COD4
setup but the more they play the more intuitive they become.

FirewalkR

Kyoufu said:
Not knocking on TTP's skills here but any videos that feature some fast paced skillful action?

Check playfrance.com.

And now that I've checked it again, playfrance.com has posted 4 new videos.

Gonna get'em all. Currently I have all Gamersyde, IGN, playfrance minus the new 4 vids and 1 from GT. I accept more suggestions for download. :D

Edit: Where the hell is Gamespot's???

k79

Banned
FirewalkR said:
Check playfrance.com.

And now that I've checked it again, playfrance.com has posted 4 new videos.

Gonna get'em all. Currently I have all Gamersyde, IGN, playfrance minus the new 4 vids and 1 from GT. I accept more suggestions for download. :D

Edit: Where the hell is Gamespot's???

Oh shit ... i needs the new ones.

I pretty much got the same vids as you.

FirewalkR

k79 said:
Oh shit ... i needs the new ones.

I pretty much got the same vids as you.

The latest playfrance vid is only stream at the moment, seems they forgot to copy the hd version. The link is there but there's no file. I shall wait!

k79

Banned
FirewalkR said:
The latest playfrance vid is only stream at the moment, seems they forgot to copy the hd version. The link is there but there's no file. I shall wait!

le suck :(

i'll wait as well.

edit : what are the titles of the new ones? barbecue, tank bien, destruction massive and arrivee mouvementee? They all look like i've seen them before :eek:

edit2 : nvm im stupid ...leeching

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yeah the thing that everyone seems to realize about the controls is that at first they want their typical COD4
setup but the more they play the more intuitive they become.

Ha ... I wish I wasn't firewalled at work and could get to Eurogamers site. Reading some of the comments in GT last night was hilarious. I swear, anytime I start to feel like there are trolls here, I go somewhere else and in seconds remember how out of control some people are. :lol

Where the hell is the other media? I would have though a bunch of US sites would have had stuff up when I got out of bed this morn.

0357.jpg

So ridiculously beautiful.

Fenderputty said:
Where the hell is the other media? I would have though a bunch of US sites would have had stuff up when I got out of bed this morn.

I know I am wondering the same thing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom