• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Banned
Thrakier said:
Eh, short form?

- Helghans take over two new planets (maybe they corrupted the first colonization ships to get to this point)
- one planet is shitty but rich of ressources, one is a nice place to live
- they get very powerful and independet
- one group is there to control them (ISA)
- but this isn't enough for earth people so they take the nice planet away from them, they have to live on the shitty planet
- their imperator somehow manages to get the economy up and running again
- helghan people change because of the planet, have to wear those masks
- they try to get their old planet back, but they loose
- now earth wants them down completly so they go to helghan to finish them off

right?

You're forgetting that the Helghan Corporation began taxing all space travel, that's really what set the UCA/UCN off. Also keep in mind taht ISA =/= UCN/UCA.

It's pretty heavily implied that they did in fact kill all of the first colonists. The UCN is paranoid and desperate because of the dependence of Earth on the other colonies. The UCN sees the Helghan Corporation assuming civil authority over Vekta/Helghan and making moves to constrict/control the flow of materials to Earth. They tell the Helghan Corporation that they are rescinding the a few terms of the buyout (like the right to have a large fleet and to openly tax the space ways). The Helghan Corp refuses and as tensions rise to the point where the Helghan Corp tries to expel all ISA forces from Vekta/Helghan. Fighting breaks out between the ISA and the Helghan Corps army. High level talks break down, triggering the first extrasolar war.

The UCN wins the war, Helghan Corp is disolved, and the Orbital Station over Helghan is destroyed under mysterious circumstances with each side blaming the other. Helghan colonists/cevilians begin targeting non Helghan civilians which results in crackdowns on Helghan colonists.

A large majority of the Helghan people decide to leave to colonize Helghan. The ISA/UCN formally recognizes their independent authority and leave them to their own devices, but imposes a military presence over the planet in case of a Helghan built up. It's eventually taken down in favor of orbital defense around Vekta itself.

After generations, the Helghast settlers manage to build a stable civilization. Both colonies are hit by a depression.

Visar rises to power, convincing military leaders to follow his plan:

1. Utilize deep-cover agent ISA General Stuart Adams to neutralize the orbital defense platforms.
2. Utilize deep-cover agent ISA General Dwight Stratson to gain access to intelligence and lure the ISA troops out of the cities.
3. Mount an invasion of Vekta whilst the orbital defense platforms are down, under the command of General Joseph Lente.
4. Reactivate the defense platforms in time to defend Vekta against the inevitable support fleet sent by the UCA.
5. Declare the system to be under Helghast control and sue for peace with the UCN whilst the UCA is still reeling from the loss of its fleet.
6. Use the resources of Helghan and Vekta, as well as technology captured from the wrecked UCA Navy fleet, to build a Helghast fleet capable of defending the system from the UCA Navy.
7. Begin charging trade tariffs for passage through Helghast space to Earth again.
8. Blockade the Earth and strangle the UCN into submission.
9. Capture the UCN Navy shipyards and orbital defenses. Leave Earth's population to starve to death. Build an enormous fleet and establish Helghast hegemony over all colonies.

His attempt to take Vekta fails (Killzone 1). The UCN lends the ISA cruisers to blockade Helghan, and instructs them not to do anything else. The ISA authority decides to invade Helghan in a quick operation with the goals of:

* Remove the Helghast as a military threat.
* Capture Autarch Visari for a public trial.
* Establish a more easily controlled regime on Helghan that avoids the oppression that sparked this conflict.

YYZ

Genuinely interesting backstory for me, but whoever wrote it seemed to have copy/pasted from an American history textbook. There aren't too many ways for non-peaceful independence to play out though. It's going to involve taxes, occupation, war, etc...

SSM25

YYZ said:
Genuinely interesting backstory for me, but whoever wrote it seemed to have copy/pasted from an American history textbook. There aren't too many ways for non-peaceful independence to play out though. It's going to involve taxes, occupation, war, etc...

American history textbook?, Actually no, I think the devs said world war I and II were the inspirations for the story.

YYZ

Can someone remind me the relationships between ISA, UCA, and UCN? I was reading everything and it all got washed together.

BTW I was talking about the history before the first extrasolar war.

Rikyfree

Think of the ISA as if it were a state's miltia and the UCA/N as the National Army/Navy in terms of comparing it to today's stuff.

Zen

Banned
No one's spilling tears, and... well... it's not February yet :lol

EDIT: The two people thus far who have said 'stop talking about the story' have MGS4 and FFXII avatars :p

YYZ

Someone who has played this game, please tell me it feels very different from Resistance 2. Maybe it's console shooters, I don't know, but I hate the robotic feeling of turning and aiming in Resistance 2. It makes playing that game a fucking chore. I hope I can enjoy Killzone 2.

Seep said:
Me too, 351 years in the future and they are still using gunpowder based weaponry. yeah right. :p

sheep you can thank you president bush for that. Money for food is important than money for developing better guns. :lol :lol

Sin

YYZ said:
Someone who has played this game, please tell me it feels very different from Resistance 2. Maybe it's console shooters, I don't know, but I hate the robotic feeling of turning and aiming in Resistance 2. It makes playing that game a fucking chore. I hope I can enjoy Killzone 2.

Feels nothing like Resistance 2. Movement is more natural, coming from Resistance 2 it takes a bit to get used to the movement in Killzone 2, I have to say I prefer it overall, not taking anything from Rsistance 2 obviously which, barring some shortcomings, is a very good game. They both have very different styles.

Thrakier

This imperator guy in the new SP-Campaign-Trailer sounds like Hitler. I'm serious, he really does. Send them rrrrrrrrrunning. Despite the speaking style he even sounds similar. I don't complain though, just noticed it.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
icechai said:
Hi Iain, do you know if they will include all the writeup leading up to KZ2 you've done into the KZ2 disc itself? It'd be nice to view a KZ encyclopedia, kind of like the downloadable MGS one... :p

I'm not sure quite what the plan is...

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
YYZ said:

There are similarities between the colonisation period up to the First Extrasolar War and the American colonisation up to Independence. Obviously there are some differences too. Although it's all about money (but then, isn't almost EVERYTHING about resources?) the resources being fought over literally mean life or death to the Earth, and this time, of course, the colonists get creamed by the UCN's battlewagons.

After that there are similarities to World War II and the rise of Stalin in Russia. Hitler was a barely functional madman for much of World War II, but Visari is more robust than that, more Stalinesque than Hitlerlike. His evil plan really comes within a hair's whisker of working out - if the Templar team hadn't taken out the Orbital Weapons System before it took out the UCN fleet in Killzone 1, then the Helghast would probably have overrun Vekta and achieved their goals.

I hope they package the entire backstory with the game, in the form of unlockables or something, so that it can be reviewed. I have an inky feeling that the game will lose points for story, this may fix that.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
YYZ said:
Can someone remind me the relationships between ISA, UCA, and UCN? I was reading everything and it all got washed together.

BTW I was talking about the history before the first extrasolar war.

Rikyfree's analysis is spot on politically. The ISA are local Colonial Militia. They're basically a defence force raised and paid by the local colonies and given some support by the UCA/UCN.

The UCN is the replacement for the UN, given teeth and real authority. Rather than answering to the national governments of Earth, the UCN orders THEM around. Nobody else is allowed in space in the Terra system, and the UCN has jurisdiction over all Colonies too.

The UCA is the military arm of the UCN. Its troops are a mixture of Earthborn, Spaceborn and Colonialborn personnel. They tend to assign troops away from home areas to keep them nice and loyal. A term of service in the UCA guarantees a soldiers family a colonial placement on their demobbing, and secure orbital housing and schooling until then.

Where Rikyfree was a bit off base was comparing the ISA and UCA to the National Guard and the Regular Army. It's more like comparing the Coastguard and the Navy. The Coastguard has some nice toys and some guns and shiny boats, but it doesn't have anything that'll really put a dent in a Battleship or a Cruiser or (god forbid) a Carrier group.

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
MvmntInGrn said:
But that would mean there is a plan though, no? :D

All the work I did for Guerrilla is entirely owned by them, so they don't have to tell me how they're going to use it or even IF. Sorry, but I just don't know.

Iain Howe said:
All the work I did for Guerrilla is entirely owned by them, so they don't have to tell me how they're going to use it or even IF. Sorry, but I just don't know.

I know :lol I'm just being difficult.

An HD version of what is on the Killzone site would be pretty awesome. :D

Rikyfree

Iain Howe said:
Rikyfree's analysis is spot on politically. The ISA are local Colonial Militia. They're basically a defence force raised and paid by the local colonies and given some support by the UCA/UCN.

The UCN is the replacement for the UN, given teeth and real authority. Rather than answering to the national governments of Earth, the UCN orders THEM around. Nobody else is allowed in space in the Terra system, and the UCN has jurisdiction over all Colonies too.

The UCA is the military arm of the UCN. Its troops are a mixture of Earthborn, Spaceborn and Colonialborn personnel. They tend to assign troops away from home areas to keep them nice and loyal. A term of service in the UCA guarantees a soldiers family a colonial placement on their demobbing, and secure orbital housing and schooling until then.

Where Rikyfree was a bit off base was comparing the ISA and UCA to the National Guard and the Regular Army. It's more like comparing the Coastguard and the Navy. The Coastguard has some nice toys and some guns and shiny boats, but it doesn't have anything that'll really put a dent in a Battleship or a Cruiser or (god forbid) a Carrier group.
Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up. Haven't seen ya on psn in a while, how are you doing?

ChryZ

Iain Howe said:
Will the UCA join the game at some point?

Thrakier said:
This imperator guy in the new SP-Campaign-Trailer sounds like Hitler. I'm serious, he really does. Send them rrrrrrrrrunning. Despite the speaking style he even sounds similar. I don't complain though, just noticed it.

He has the same oratory charisma but his speaking style has this flair of Mussolini which Brian Cox just makes sexy.

As far as presenting the backstory I'd love to a home space devoted to it. With the same Listen at Home app in there but with Visari and ISA speeches. Also an interactive timeline on the walls (like the killzone.com one) and some trailers too.

Clinton514

Dubbedinenglish said:
1. The Helghast corporation was never explicitly named or any hard evidence from the UCN's failure in creating the colony undeir their thumb. Phillip Vekta was enough of a visionary to see the faults and invested to bring colonization outside of terra firma to the private sector in a chance that the people be free... Rather than be stuck under thumb of an oppresive third party. The colonists should determine their fate, no one else.

2. The Helghan Corp and it's two colonies were the only autonomous (and for a while the only wealthy) colony in space...Why was that? They were at a level of freedom where they did not have to depend on UCN aid becuase they funded their own travel, not split a sum among many systems, the run into the repercussions of poor planning and a depletion of resources. The aid needed for the outer colonies passed through the AC system, but would you expect the entire colony to go broke? They funded themselves into space, and it was their right to continue to do so. The UCN controlled all the space between the colonies with a certian autonomy allowed to the AC system.

3. The circumstances of the aftermath of the first extrasolar war were barbaric on the part of the UCA. They massed a naval fleet using vast resources, resources which could have been used for aid to the outer colonies, all the while while the Helghan Corp tried negotiating with the UCN over its reversal of agreed terms with the Helghan Corps purchase of total freedom. The UCA fleet destroyed all the intestellar infastructure of the Helghan corp (customs fleet and civial stations). Then they left an entire people for dead on a known toxic planet. Then the UCA moved to Vekta where they threatened planetary bombardment of civilain populations. The leadership surrendered but that decapatation was not enough. The UCN took control of Vekta moving in colonists from UCN systems and segragating the native colonists to the slums and shanti towns, from their homes of generations. Yes, there were those who pushed back against this tyranny but they were stopped as the UCN pushed again on the innocent. The Vektan Helghasts were forced from their homes to make way for pro UCA settlers, those who fought back....were exterminated.

4. The native colonists of Vekta left out of a desire for freedom. The very same casue which got them to Vekta. The people left for dead on Helghan cried out into the depths of space not for help, but as a beacon of freedom in a galaxy held at gunpoint by the UCN. The Vektan Helghast went to join their brothers, as an act where they would rather endure the hardsips of freedom, rather than the lavishness of oppression. The UCN did not offer even a single grain to those who left Vekta, even knowing the hostile nature of Helghan.

5. Helghan changed them physically but also their spirit and desire for freedom. The Helghast are willing to stand against the UCN like no other colony has, as an autnomous colony they fourished, and the stuggling UCN resented that and went to war. Even after losing their jewel of Vekta, the people even their darkest hours stood steadfast in their quest for freedom. Visari gave guidance to that dream, and a way to bring down the UCA so the colonies of man would be free to govern themselves and each colony could stand shoulder to shoulder as equals.

If siding with the Helghast aligns me with the goals of freedom and self determination then I see no problem with that.

BTW finally validated and out of lurking shadows. :p
Helghast sympathizer!

ps. Welcome!

Seep

Unregistered007 said:
sheep you can thank you president bush for that. Money for food is important than money for developing better guns. :lol :lol

My name is SEEP i'm from the U.K. and it was a joke people hence the :p.

Amazon preorder details Higg/ ISA home costumes

killzone2_exclusive_600.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQBF1M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Clinton514

Dead said:
would rather have LBP costumes...

Hope the game gets a nice Collectors Edition though
Don't worry the LBP stuff is coming soon. I guarantee the Helghast costume will be among the best sellers of HOME virtual clothing. :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Give me a Helghast Scout outfit and I'll be in HOME forever... I've not even loaded it up yet.

I'd rather wear the costume in KZ2 than in Home. You get to shoot people. :p :D

Esch

Banned
Just thinking about what the official thread will be like is scaring me a bit. I hope Wollan and BruceLeeRoy really give us something special D:

Apparently pre-ordering at Best Buy gets you an exclusive theme :/

With all this news of pre-order bonuses coming out, hopefully Sony will announce a collector's edition as well.

Dibbz

Zen said:
The UCN is paranoid /snip
You can say that again. They thought the Helghan puposfully destoryed their own machinery and almost brought down their entire economy to indirectly hurt the UCN. :lol

Manberg900 said:
LOL@ people arguing over KZ's story. LOL fuck it's story. Play the fucking game and shut the fuck up. Jeeze.

mgs4.avatar :/

EDIT:- Amazon pre-order looks great. I'll pre-order on there if I am guaranteed to get the game the morning it is meant to release. Anyone ever pre-ordered from Amazon and had problems?

Zen

Banned
Dibbz said:
You can say that again. They thought the Helghan puposfully destoryed their own machinery and almost brought down their entire economy to indirectly hurt the UCN. :lol

Because the Helghan Corporation just so happened to have a bank breaking fleet almost completed, designed suspiciously suitable for Alpha Centauri settlement, at the time of the original colonization fleets destruction from 'massive concurrent system failures' (IE: Sabotage).

We're going to have to agree to disagree. Eitherway, all of this history is just history in the face of Visari's plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom