• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

roMonster

nib95 said:
This game is in such a peculiar position. There's mountains of hype and pessimism for it. Some have and do rag on it at every given opportunity, whereas others are incredibly optimistic. Difference here is that this game has had more time, money, talent and media invested in it than most. Not to mention it looks insanely good graphically. Just look at this thread as an example of the amount of attention it's been getting, both positive and negative (or should I say scepticism).

It's because of these reasons that I am subconsciously finding that I am being extra cautious and careful with how I approach and judge the game. But is that fair? I wonder how many will play the game more cautiously than other games. By that I mean trying to ensure they aren't getting over exited in fear of over hyping or over selling.

My way of measuring the accuracy of my opinions of the game (or it's quality) was to play the shit out of it. Not a hard task, since I've loved every minute of it and wanted to keep playing it. I've since beaten the game twice, and am partially through a third play through. I've also since completed Resistance 2 (after beating KZ2) and started Gears 2 again (almost finished). I wanted to refresh my memory and compare it with some of the best out there (what I consider the best in regards to typical shooter SP campaigns). KZ2 did not disappoint. In-fact, you can probably guess which games SP campaign I most enjoyed. I won't say anything beyond that till the embargo's are lifted. Not everyone will share my sentiments (naturally), though I am positive many will.

I actually did something rather naughty. To quell something that was playing on my mind about the game. The main thing that imo will likely divide people on the game are the controls, or more specifically the aiming. It's totally different from other shooters in this regard. There's this sense of realism, weight, motion and immersion (add a lack of auto-aim) about them that sets them apart. My fear was that some less hardcore/casual gamers might be turned off by them, and those who are more used to other shooters might not get on. So I actually let a few people I know matching the above criteria play very brief segments of the game (only parts already seen dozens of times in video's of the very first level, and in a very controlled environment). Just to see how they'd get on with the controls.
Not only did they adjust fairly quickly, but they were incredibly impressed with the game, and wanted to play more. Thankfully, they all thought they were playing an early "demo" (the one that you will all likely be playing very soon). I have to admit, I was relieved to find that the controls didn't deter them from enjoying the experience, rather the opposite (which slightly surprised me, as I thought the lack of auto aim might frustrate them).

Can't wait to read/hear other people's opinions of the game and see how it reviews.

Yes, KZ2 is quite the attention whore.

Just to make it clear--did you change any controller settings before you let them play? (was it already set to your preference or did you use default)

nib95

Banned
roMonster said:
Yes, KZ2 is quite the attention whore.

Just to make it clear--did you change any controller settings before you let them play? (was it already set to your preference or did you use default)

On my first play through, I actually upped the sensitivity (just to get it on par with what I was already used to in other fps). But I eventually set it back to default, when it clicked, and I realised why GG had set it at what they did. Which was for fine tuned aiming precision (headshots and smoother more delicate aiming).

To specifically answer your question, no, I did not adjust the controls in any way from the default. The only difference from a completely default set up was that my DS3's have Real Triggers attached to them.

My guess is people will take a short while to adjust to the aiming. The payment for learning them being more rewarding and skill driven kills.

Guled

FFObessed handled the beta clan well, I think he would be a good choice to lead
anonymousAversa said:
Someone needs to make an external site or other thread to organize clan stuff once the game releases!

and I like the idea of regional matches, I'm in for NA
whats wrong with a thread in the online section and google docs?

political-pictures-soldiers-fan-boys.jpg

More like Killzone 2 fanboys.

nib95 said:
This game is in such a peculiar position. There's mountains of hype and pessimism for it. Some have and do rag on it at every given opportunity, whereas others are incredibly optimistic. Difference here is that this game has had more time, money, talent and media invested in it than most. Not to mention it looks insanely good graphically. Just look at this thread as an example of the amount of attention it's been getting, both positive and negative (or should I say scepticism).

It's because of these reasons that I am subconsciously finding that I am being extra cautious and careful with how I approach and judge the game. But is that fair? I wonder how many will play the game more cautiously than other games. By that I mean trying to ensure they aren't getting over exited in fear of over hyping or over selling.

My way of measuring the accuracy of my opinions of the game (or it's quality) was to play the shit out of it. Not a hard task, since I've loved every minute of it and wanted to keep playing it. I've since beaten the game twice, and am partially through a third play through. I've also since completed Resistance 2 (after beating KZ2) and started Gears 2 again (almost finished). I wanted to refresh my memory and compare it with some of the best out there (what I consider the best in regards to typical shooter SP campaigns). KZ2 did not disappoint. In-fact, you can probably guess which games SP campaign I most enjoyed. I won't say anything beyond that till the embargo's are lifted. Not everyone will share my sentiments (naturally), though I am positive many will.
Eh while I don't have the review copy to better flesh out my reflections to the same (hint send me it NAO!!!).... That is generally how I litmus test the games I buy as well. Without going back to the others in genre recently can quickly lend to the trap of "rose tinted rearview mirrors." In example after playing COD4 to death I traded the game in to another thinking it was well worth it. Then I started to jones for it, wanting to go back through certian missions and thinking the game was fraktastically awesome. I rebought it and then realized everything I disliked about how the game showed it seams all to cearly: rose tinted rearview mirrors.

I do think simply judging the KZ2's pathos vs the others is what it HAS to come down to, simply finding what you enjoyed vs what you didn't and then seeing how the same compliments/ critiques match up with the rest of the genre is how I would do it....If you send me the review copy, NAO.

nib95 said:
I actually did something rather naughty. To quell something that was playing on my mind about the game. The main thing that imo will likely divide people on the game are the controls, or more specifically the aiming. It's totally different from other shooters in this regard. There's this sense of realism, weight, motion and immersion (add a lack of auto-aim) about them that sets them apart. My fear was that some less hardcore/casual gamers might be turned off by them, and those who are more used to other shooters might not get on. So I actually let a few people I know matching the above criteria play very brief segments of the game (only parts already seen dozens of times in video's of the very first level, and in a very controlled environment). Just to see how they'd get on with the controls.
Not only did they adjust fairly quickly, but they were incredibly impressed with the game, and wanted to play more. Thankfully, they all thought they were playing an early "demo" (the one that you will all likely be playing very soon). I have to admit, I was relieved to find that the controls didn't deter them from enjoying the experience, rather the opposite (which slightly surprised me, as I thought the lack of auto aim might frustrate them).

Can't wait to read/hear other people's opinions of the game and see how it reviews.

Next for lulz you should have them try out COD's type of control feel (floaty fast twitch) right after KZ2, for me after the beta it was an unbielvable coarse readjustment from of how "natural" KZ felt. Go try it,see how test monkies respond.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
can you turn off sixaxis controls?

i only ask because i play lying down on the carpet which causes me to hold the controller at a different angle. Obviously this could mean that trying to sniper someone will be almost impossible.

similarly, In LBP my character is forever running along with his head looking up at the sky because of the angle i hold the controller ;-;

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
i_am_ben said:
i only ask because i play lying down on the carpet which causes me to hold the controller at a different angle. Obviously this could mean that trying to sniper someone will be almost impossible.

You snipe using the stick. Controller movement affects aiming if you actually move the controller in the process of aiming, not if you hold it like sideways when you start aiming. You'll be fine.

i_am_ben said:
can you turn off sixaxis controls?

similarly, In LBP my character is forever running along with his head looking up at the sky because of the angle i hold the controller ;-;

Click in the left stick once and it turns off the motion control of sackboys head.

Here's a nice comment I read on the gametrailers Forums about Killzone 2.

Randy22 said:
said: Oke killzone 2 iss a good game but not a reason for buying a gaystation. Say by your self, The graphics are the same like the xbox 360. Xbox 360 is 150 dollar and you can modified him for downloading free games like me. Dont pay for games, Do nice things whith you money. Go clubbing or something. And if you buy now a ps3 are you really stupid because the next xbox will maybe launch in 2010. The xbox 360 is all on the lead for 3 years. Maybe that playstation will be console of 2009 but dont forget the ps3 owners must pay for there shit. We play for almost free :D. Modified a xbox 360 is not much work. You can let i do almost every where for only 35 dollar :D. A lot of ps3 are damaged and xbox 360 is now very good quality because there jasper chip. Change on rrod is now 0%. A playstation 3 will be damaged in one year and sony dont give garantue. If you want bllueray buy a real blueray home cinema set. Its much cooler. and very nice sound. You can call me fanboy but i am not. I compared all the consoles an i have them all (Wii , Xbox 360, playstation 3. If you have a girlfriend you must buy a wii trust me she like it :p. So use your mind and buy an wii or xbox, never buy a playstation. Its the best for your money... btw MAG fans, there is a very greath change that MAG will be canceld and please dont call me fanboy. I know about what i talking.

:lol :lol

cakefoo

shadowsdarknes said:

Sounds like he knows about what he's talking. And if you think he doesn't know about what he's talking, you have no idea about what you're talking :mad:

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Ronin said:
More like Kerberos Panzer Cops fanboys.

It's either a clever insult to Kerberos saga fans or someone didn't know about the manga/anime.

I remember the illustrator talking about design of the protect gear and noting Star Wars as one of his inspirations for the design.

lupinko

Randy22 said:
said: Oke killzone 2 iss a good game but not a reason for buying a gaystation. Say by your self, The graphics are the same like the xbox 360. Xbox 360 is 150 dollar and you can modified him for downloading free games like me. Dont pay for games, Do nice things whith you money. Go clubbing or something. And if you buy now a ps3 are you really stupid because the next xbox will maybe launch in 2010. The xbox 360 is all on the lead for 3 years. Maybe that playstation will be console of 2009 but dont forget the ps3 owners must pay for there shit. We play for almost free . Modified a xbox 360 is not much work. You can let i do almost every where for only 35 dollar . A lot of ps3 are damaged and xbox 360 is now very good quality because there jasper chip. Change on rrod is now 0%. A playstation 3 will be damaged in one year and sony dont give garantue. If you want bllueray buy a real blueray home cinema set. Its much cooler. and very nice sound. You can call me fanboy but i am not. I compared all the consoles an i have them all (Wii , Xbox 360, playstation 3. If you have a girlfriend you must buy a wii trust me she like it :p. So use your mind and buy an wii or xbox, never buy a playstation. Its the best for your money... btw MAG fans, there is a very greath change that MAG will be canceld and please dont call me fanboy. I know about what i talking.

Oh my...:lol :lol :lol

Rikyfree

shadowsdarknes said:

Just.... I..... Wow. On that note, it is my humble opinion that he has the I.Q. of a retarded carrot. Being as such he is no longer classified as a person, but a walking meat popsicle.

TTP or someone with the review code:

Can you tell me if you've tried switching to 1080i mode?

*Technically* that has more pixels than the normal 720p mode. So if you have a 1080p set, I'm curious if you can tell if it looks slightly sharper, or are the two modes indistinguishable?

NameIess

If the new 50 Cent game is better than SFIV & Killzone 2 I'm done with gaming...
I'm not hating on the 50 Cent game, but come on that's like most games based off movie licenses...

McLovin said:
Yes.. look at what they gave other games and you will see its not even worth mentioning.

Lets wait for Metacritic and Gamerankings to add it, then go hunting for every other nonheard of site and publication with low scores.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pseudocaesar said:
Lets wait for Metacritic and Gamerankings to add it, then go hunting for every other nonheard of site and publication with low scores.
Wait, now Metacritic and Game Rankings are biased? :lol

nib95 said:

Nice post.

About the bolded, I figured this out after just a few days with the beta. I'm not an FPS expert by any means. Actually, I'm quite horrible at the genre. Despite this, I managed to ease into the controls fairly quickly, and I enjoyed every minute of the beta, despite getting my ass handed to me the entire time (on a good day my K/D ratio was 1:1 :/).

The only other multiplayer shooter I enjoyed as much was Source, an that's only because of the great group of people I used to play with a few years back. Those LAN matches were loads of fun.

dankir

Aladuf said:
Holy shit, the audio is insane. The guns and everything going on sounds epic. I'm gonna be rocking the shit out of my surround sound when this comes out. :lol

Do we know if its a LPCM soundtrack? 7.1 isn't it?

cakefoo

Rez>You said:
Wait, now Metacritic and Game Rankings are biased? :lol
Or maybe just uninformed of how big amateurs some of these sites are revealing themselves to be.

Regardless, it was obviously a cynical post. Don't try stirring up more shit.

Dante

I was thinking earlier....This thread has become a pretty strange thing. I have never seen the internet react to a singular thread like this...Well maybe the Sherdog Guido thread. It's odd that there are articles being written about this thread, people talking about this thread in NPD threads, People creating mock threads. The astronomical thread view count in relation to actual posts shows that there are a TON of people watching this thread. I don't know it all just seems weird, but I'm pretty glad the game discussion always gets back on track after some silly posts. I think the reason people are so upset is there is a whole lot of genuine enthusiasm over this game, and I'm not really sure why that bothers some people. Yeah we're hyped for it, how can you not be after seeing footage and reading the demo impressions?

Dante said:
I was thinking earlier....This thread has become a pretty strange thing. I have never seen the internet react to a singular thread like this...Well maybe the Sherdog Guido thread. It's odd that there are articles being written about this thread, people talking about this thread in NPD threads, People creating mock threads. The astronomical thread view count in relation to actual posts shows that there are a TON of people watching this thread. I don't know it all just seems weird, but I'm pretty glad the game discussion always gets back on track after some silly posts. I think the reason people are so upset is there is a whole lot of genuine enthusiasm over this game, and I'm not really sure why that bothers some people. Yeah we're hyped for it, how can you not be after seeing footage and reading the demo impressions?

Some people on the internets either hate the PS3 or don't own one and are envious of those that get to play a game that looks as godly as KZ2.

There's so much hype surrounding this game mostly because of how damn awesome it looks. I dunno, but I've never seen a game show this much of a gap over its peers before. The attention to detail GG has put into this game is astonishing.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Private Hoffman said:
TTP or someone with the review code:

Can you tell me if you've tried switching to 1080i mode?

*Technically* that has more pixels than the normal 720p mode. So if you have a 1080p set, I'm curious if you can tell if it looks slightly sharper, or are the two modes indistinguishable?

Looks slightly sharper at 1080i. I can notice it by looking very closely at some details on the rifle.

TTP said:
Looks slightly sharper at 1080i. I can notice it by looking very closely at some details on the rifle.

Did you ever get the updated review disc that some are talking about?

Also, how many play throughs are you at now?

You just don't know how jealous I am looking on my friends list and seeing you playing, lol!

Also, count me in on the NGAF clan! I hope all of us from the beta get the band back together!

TTP said:

What is your TV's native display? Mine is 720p, so I just have 1080i turned off, sense a lot of games early on looked better in 720p (ie, Uncharted).

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
The Platform War has always been with us - but not since the great ST Vs. Amiga war have I seen this level of bile and partisanship. I thought that the PS2 Vs. XBox war was bad...

People have invested so much in the brand of entertainment console that they've chosen.

At first I thought the heightened passion would be good for the industry, but it's getting beyond a joke.

mr_nothin

Banned
Iain Howe said:
The Platform War has always been with us - but not since the great ST Vs. Amiga war have I seen this level of bile and partisanship. I thought that the PS2 Vs. XBox war was bad...

People have invested so much in the brand of entertainment console that they've chosen.

At first I thought the heightened passion would be good for the industry, but it's getting beyond a joke.
Can I have a beta code please!

Iain Howe said:

Do you have anymore articles coming on Killzone.com. I love what you have done with the back story. Giving the HG a story and somewhat humanizing them has really made this story special.

No inside info or anything guys, but I really have a feeling that a Helghast campaign will be coming in the form of DLC. I think GG has really worked up the back story for this very purpose. This is something I would pay for, day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom