• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Dibbz

1.06 meant to improve performance.

Server Side Maintenance March 18th - 9:00am GMT

Hi all,

Tomorrow we will be doing a server side update to improve performance. The servers will be brought down at 9:00 am GMT.

This is only the first step in improving performance.

After the server maintenance we will be rolling out the patch 1.06. Some territories will get this faster than others!

The patch will improve some performance issues on the client side.

We are 'skipping' 1.05. That contained a fix for the score processing issue. It has been incorporated in 1.06. We did this in order to get both fixes out to you as soon as possible.

So: preformance should improve over the next couple of days, starting tomorrow morning.

If you want to see what else you can do to improve performance, check out this post.

Thanks,

Lev

Cornbread78

Please please..... IS THIS THE SAVIOR PATCH?????????? I only wanted to play Crysis part time.... I already got my shiney Plat. Trophy for KZ3 anyhow....

Khronikos

Banned
witness said:
Sent this thing back to gamefly, the campaign just got worse and worse as it went on. Some of the transitions are just awful. Hey we're outside in the snow talking and next scene we appear on a snowmobile. You just appear on a space snowmobile and go. Awful. The campaign became a slog and I have too many other, much better, multiplayer games to play right now.

Time to give this series a rest and create a new IP.

Really, too many other better multiplayers (shooters? if not why even compare) such as what other year(s) old game or what the fuck are you playing that I am not. There really aren't that many great shooters out there unless we start going back years. This game has literally the best graphics on consoles for shooters as well as tied for sound and there is no argument on that unless you're fucking dumb. The feel of the guns in this game is second to none.

And what differentiates this campaign from every other shitty campaign in every other shitty fucking shooter? Baseless opinion much? Nothing you say even correlates to what is wrong with the game. Nobody is really even complaining about the campaign. The campaign is excellent unless you are expecting some sort of miraculously deep script from the minds of the best writers on the planet which you cannot be since they don't exist in videogames yet.

I have been as critical of this multiplayer as 99% of the people on the any of these forums and yet I think much of what you say makes no sense at all. I could say that about any fucking game out there. Except this one is much more pretty and sounds real and will get fixed in a patch as did KZ2. Does GAF not remember how broken KZ2 was.... what the fuck is wrong with you people. Get real. You suck and you hate the game? You are too good and are bored? You really haven't even played it and are just bullshitting us? Big deal. Don't make excuses unless you have real excuses. KZ2 was the same exact way as this one out of the gate except better maps. No other shooter even approaches a cohesive game like U2 in its maturity and even that game is lacking. What the fuck did you expect? Saving Private Sev with a 150 million budget?

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I'm enjoying the SP a lot, and I think the game is beautiful...am I a bad person?

Facism

Khronikos said:
Really, too many other better multiplayers (shooters? if not why even compare) such as what other year(s) old game or what the fuck are you playing that I am not. There really aren't that many great shooters out there unless we start going back years. This game has literally the best graphics on consoles for shooters as well as tied for sound and there is no argument on that unless you're fucking dumb. The feel of the guns in this game is second to none.

And what differentiates this campaign from every other shitty campaign in every other shitty fucking shooter? Baseless opinion much? Nothing you say even correlates to what is wrong with the game. Nobody is really even complaining about the campaign. The campaign is excellent unless you are expecting some sort of miraculously deep script from the minds of the best writers on the planet which you cannot be since they don't exist in videogames yet.

I have been as critical of this multiplayer as 99% of the people on the any of these forums and yet I think much of what you say makes no sense at all. I could say that about any fucking game out there. Except this one is much more pretty and sounds real and will get fixed in a patch as did KZ2. Does GAF not remember how broken KZ2 was.... what the fuck is wrong with you people. Get real. You suck and you hate the game? You are too good and are bored? You really haven't even played it and are just bullshitting us? Big deal. Don't make excuses unless you have real excuses. KZ2 was the same exact way as this one out of the gate except better maps. No other shooter even approaches a cohesive game like U2 in its maturity and even that game is lacking. What the fuck did you expect? Saving Private Sev with a 150 million budget?

QQ?

Khronikos

Banned
Why is this weak? The audio is more than superb. If you have ever shot a rifle it gets that vibe very very close. I wasn't calling anyone anything really. I was saying if you seriously think that any game tops it by some large margin you are dumb, meaning you don't understand what makes things realistic or right in the first place. I don't think many people will be disagreeing guy. You basically have B2 and KZ3. They pretty much go at each other.

megamerican

I'm baffled by the relatively lukewarm reception this game received. KZ3 ranks up there with the most technically amazing console game I've ever played. Tons of truly "epic" (I hate using that phrase) moments, although some of the storytelling does need work.

Even being fairly shooter fatigued I think this was the best FPS campaign in a long time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
the_prime_mover said:
lol.

Did you quote the right person?

Also, calling people "fucking dumb" for not agreeing that KZ3 audio is equal to the vastly superior BF:BC2 audio seems more than a little weak.

MOH had the best sound in a game, IMO. Game sounded amazing.

Khronikos said:

People have a high expectation for this game. I thought KZ3 is alright, still playing this on most nights, nothing else I really want to play other than U2 on weekends, that said, with mechs and so many infiltrators sometimes it's not as fun, but anytime you have objective-oriented gameplay and people looking to up their K/D ratios, you've got a problem.

megamerican said:
I'm baffled by the relatively lukewarm reception this game received. KZ3 ranks up there with the most technically amazing console game I've ever played. Tons of truly "epic" (I hate using that phrase) moments, although some of the storytelling does need work.

Even being fairly shooter fatigued I think this was the best FPS campaign in a long time.

Problem is, for anyone who has played any FPSs in the past 3-5 years, KZ3's campaign is average to mediocre in comparison. The campaign has it's moments, just too few of them -- not enough to warrant any feelings beyond lukewarm.

Rolf NB

megamerican said:

Let's see.

Killzone 2 had a better campaign. Less turret/vehicle/stealth bullshit. More close quarters fucking people up in interesting ways.

Killzone 2 had better multiplayer. Custom matches on day one. Disabling individual classes and weapons. Server browser with filters. Much better maps. No exo/jetpack bullshit. No TSPs.

It's a fun game alright. It just doesn't exactly live up as a sequel. Especially the omission of MP setup features that were already there in KZ2 is baffling. You'd think they could have reused most of that code as-is.

commish said:
MOH had the best sound in a game, IMO. Game sounded amazing.
I'm surprised how few times MoH gets mentioned when it comes to sound. Definitely one of the very few titles that I would use to demo my HT setup.

Thrakier

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Problem is, for anyone who has played any FPSs in the past 3-5 years, KZ3's campaign is average to mediocre in comparison. The campaign has it's moments, just too few of them -- not enough to warrant any feelings beyond lukewarm.

Hm, no. I played tons of FPSses in the last 3-5 years and KZ3 campaign was one of the btter ones.

patsu

For MP…

I read somewhere that they rewrote the net code from scratch. Was hoping they fix the team balancing issue this time round. It's my #1 complain about KZ2 but it's still there in KZ3 Warzone. Am waiting for the MTU bug fix to see if it addresses this problem. The bug prevents some people from joining a scheduled room (so they have to quit out, or the server reassign them).

I consider TSP a good alternative to the game breaking spawn grenades, although they should continue to tweak the TSP recapture experience, and make more MP maps.

I also remember KZ2 had many moments where people ended up killing each other at the same time (e.g., 1 second after the fight). I see that less often with KZ3.

Overall, I like KZ3 better than KZ2 because there are less (much less) spawn raping.

Thrakier

I like KZ3 better because of OPS and Move. Move really is a game changing experience. It feels so different and so much better.

You know, the problem Killzone has is...that it's Killzone. There are so many expectations bond to this name. If it just would be a no name game out of nowhere everyone would go like "wow, those graphics, great move support, a lot of diversion in the SP, great class based multiplayer, some issues here and there, but overall great fun". But it's Killzone, so people go like "yeah yeah, great graphics, ok, but WHAT THE HELL TSPS, sooo boring and generic, just another shooter, mapdesign so bad" blah. And all that blah distracts that, after all is said and done, there is still a very good shooter experience in KZ3. Out of my head I can't think of one game which is better on PS3. Maybe Warhawk, but that's kinda old by now. ;D

Zoibie

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

Pretty much this. The story was a massive let down too, going by the pre-release trailers, it looked like it would delve into this rivalry between the two competing leaders, and that we'd see the Helghast at their most ruthless, but none of that was really fleshed out. Sure, it was there but it wasn't as good as it could and should have been.

Thrakier

Zoibie said:
Pretty much this. The story was a massive let down too, going by the pre-release trailers, it looked like it would delve into this rivalry between the two competing leaders, and that we'd see the Helghast at their most ruthless, but none of that was really fleshed out. Sure, it was there but it wasn't as good as it could and should have been.

Really? So you are basically saying that all shooters in the last 3-5 years had a better story than KZ3? And since when is the high point of a shooter it's story? Sorry, but I don't get some of you guys.

A.R.K

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

Please let me know which console FPSs had significantly better campaigns than KZ3? I really like to know this so I can enjoy them too.

KZ3's campaign is not its problem. SP is still better than a lot of shooters out there. Its the MP where GG cut so many features that it was a let down. But it still could be tweaked and made better by adding some of the missing features. Also KZ gunplay >>>>>> a lot of other FPSs

Khronikos

Banned
A.R.K said:
Please let me know which console FPSs had significantly better campaigns than KZ3? I really like to know this so I can enjoy them too.

KZ3's campaign is not its problem. SP is still better than a lot of shooters out there. Its the MP where GG cut so many features that it was a let down. But it still could be tweaked and made better by adding some of the missing features. Also KZ gunplay >>>>>> a lot of other FPSs

Totally agreed. What the living fuck were people expecting after the very minimal and quite bad KZ2? KZ3 is actually decent and the gameplay as good as any out there. Christ already people have high expectations. That patch should be out I'm gonna go on for a bit I think.

This game is definitely growing on me, but I doubt it will make it into my top 5 all time like Killzone 2 did. I'm gonna keep on playing through all the patches, I found this great clan that meets 3 nights a week at the perfect time and we play for several hours at a time. Tons of fun. The only way I can see myself going back to KZ2 for any length of time is if KZ3 becomes a ghost town, which is a lot more probably now without a server list.

I have very few substantial complaints about this game. I try not to judge games based on what they don't have, or what their competition has, but what they actually do have, so I don't consider "no server list" as much as I hate it, a valid complaint.

-I don't like the new map design philosophy.

They seem to have swapped the idea of "balance" for "busy" as you can tell by all the shit cluttering the new salamun market. Some maps seem expressely designed around controlling choke points, MAWLR in particular is really guilty of this, and in general there are less ways to approach any one room or area than there were in KZ2.

-I did not like the script.

A lot of important shit happened in the six months that we didn't get to see on Helghan and I know for a damn fact if we'd played those parts the overall story, pacing, and in general quality of the game would have been much improved. Also the fact that scripts were written AFTER motion capture was done is a giant problem and shows in the end result.

Thats about it, really.

CozMick said:
I've yet to try the recent patch, has the map rotation bug been fixed? thanks.

Nope. This patch only fixed scoring and lag issues. Big fixes are still on the way at a TBD date. I hope this doesn't turn into another SOCOM Confrontation....

the_prime_mover said:
Oh yeah? I was not aware. I assume that is thanks to Dice. I'll have to track that one down and give it a try.

It's 4 hours long. BFBC2 has great sound, and Killzone 3 matches it. Another game with underrated sound was the first Resistance.

-I did not like the script.

A lot of important shit happened in the six months that we didn't get to see on Helghan and I know for a damn fact if we'd played those parts the overall story, pacing, and in general quality of the game would have been much improved. Also the fact that scripts were written AFTER motion capture was done is a giant problem and shows in the end result.

This is a legit complaint, and I get where you're coming from. It's quite interesting to me that they chose that route, AC2 takes years to complete its story (in game time), U2 happens over a span of a few months. It's just like "SOME SHIT EXPLODED MY SHIP NOOOOO! WTF HAPPEN--"

SIX MONTHS LATER:

"Where are the ISA?"

No lead-in. Even if they found a map that detailed a back-up camp for emergencies, or something, that would've been better than what we got.

see5harp

Give me a montage of them surviving on glowing Helgen berries and giant bugs or anything really. It's not that the story is worse than any of the decent shooters recently, it's just the execution was lacking. I'd still give the game a decent score overall but it was obviously a step back for them.

Dizzy

Banned
What's happened to Operations? every game now only has a couple of people at most. I just got put into akmir in a 2 on 1 vs 2 marksmen......fun.

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Problem is, for anyone who has played any FPSs in the past 3-5 years, KZ3's campaign is average to mediocre in comparison.
Not at all, compared to every other FPS over the past 3-5 years it's one of the best. (At least on consoles)

RJM77

dgenx said:
I'm enjoying the SP a lot, and I think the game is beautiful...am I a bad person?

not at all. i just finished the local co-op last night and thought it was a lot of fun. but admittedly, i don't play a lot of FPSs.

Dizzy said:
What's happened to Operations? every game now only has a couple of people at most. I just got put into akmir in a 2 on 1 vs 2 marksmen......fun.

It was full yesterday when I played it. I hope people stick with it because I love it.

Top Bottom