• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

patsu

alr1ghtstart said:
nah, they're pretty boring here. See enemy hiding behind cover, zoom in and let the aim assist (which you can't turn off) point right at the guy's head, boom.

I think the regular KZ3 game doesn't play like that. I saw some videos where the Move controller may help snap to the enemies, but I haven't seen it happen on a DS3 yet.

The ammo crates and power weapons (e.g., minigun) made the campaign easier. Generally speaking, the Helghasts hide better this time round. It's harder to kill them with a grenade. They also throw grenade(s) more aggressively, especially if you hang back.

NIN90

This game suffers from the "EPIC!!" syndrome IMO.
There's shit constantly flying through the skies, things exploding and more.
This can be a really great thing but they went way overboard with that, to the point where I don't even know in what direction I'm even supposed to look at.

mickcenary said:
Ha. Yeah, mine was initially very low. Work on upping it, dude; it'll pay off in spades.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as nailing a 90/180 degree turn with one swift flick of the wrist and headshotting some poor bastard.

I've tried upping it but it doesn't work with my playstyle. I tend to use cover and kill people from a distance. When I get into close range I switch to my other LMG and mow people down. If people kill me from the side, I deserve to die as my preparation has not been good enough. :)

I can keep the same settings without needing to change. Its only spazzed out on the odd occasion and even sodding around with the values didn't fix it then. It was just a funny turn.

patsu said:
What class did you play as ? I think the Tactician has the best Assault Rifle. Marksman has pretty weak weapons.

I play Marksman, Medic and Infiltrator. Of the 3, medic usually has the best experience (most kills, most points, and most rewarding). Marksman and Infiltrator's experiences vary wildly. You can rake up kills if people are careless, but you may also get busted very quickly almost every time.

I had been going back and forth between engineer and medic. In the end though it doesn't really matter which class or gun I choose because I can't shoot for jack in this game. It's just something about the movement and I hate it.

patsu

Hmm... shooting is like any other responsive FPS. The only moment where shooting is "blocked" is when you're a sprinting Infiltrator.

Kaze13

patsu said:
Hmm... shooting is like any other responsive FPS. The only moment where shooting is "blocked" is when you're a sprinting Infiltrator.

I'm normally very good in this game but lag + Infiltrator infuriates me.

Had a severe case of frustration last night. Imagine 1.5x effort to kill + 2 shots to be killed all game long = almost rage quitting.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm kind of disappointed with the game's story. It was obvious that they had something special that could be developed with Stahl and Orlock.

It's a shame that most of the story fell upon the disorganized military buildup made upon generic soldiers. The ending didn't leave me eager for the next game, what's more, I really rather have GG focus on their new IP instead of Killzone 4.

Leave that for the next generation.

patsu

Kaze13 said:
I'm normally very good in this game but lag + Infiltrator infuriates me.

Had a severe case of frustration last night. Imagine 1.5x effort to kill + 2 shots to be killed all game long = almost rage quitting.

Hasn't occured to me yet. ^_^ Which region server are you using ?

Kaze13

patsu said:
Hasn't occured to me yet. ^_^ Which region server are you using ?

US but lately, it seems that it has been flooded by everyone else. I've heard Euro accents and Asian characters in clan tags. It's just annoying because I know I can kill these guys but lag is making me work extra hard just to get a spawn point, a kill, a good k/d, etc.

Last night, I witnessed 4 guys with 40+ kills and 10 ish deaths. Again, that's 4 people with 4 to 1 k/d. The rest of their team were at 1.5 k/d. How in the world is that possible? I aim to prevent that shit. At most, 1 guy will sport a favorable ratio with all the rest around +/- 1.0. Not this time though.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I had been going back and forth between engineer and medic. In the end though it doesn't really matter which class or gun I choose because I can't shoot for jack in this game. It's just something about the movement and I hate it.

So what you are admitting is you are the problem, not the game?

I too play as Medic and Engineer and just the other day got 2k xp points in one match as an Engineer.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Another thing that has helped me enjoy this game is not giving a hoot about my k/d ratio. I'm sitting at .41 or something and I don't care. I just play and have fun.

So pretty much marksman > Everything else.

I'm a terrible sniper, and I don't have move, but it doesn't matter becuase I can turn invisible indeffinately. There's no way to counter this.

Sabatours are sneaky but you can generally tell by their behavoir, and the fact that they're always sprinting faster. I always shoot any teammate that is running towards me. Being invisible is still better than being able to disguise yourself.

Medics can rez themselves and others, but people are generally carefull to make sure their targets stay dead. In most circumstances you're just giving your opponent a free kill.

I've never been killed by an auto-turret or sentry, trying to fix and man a turret is a sure-fire way to get head-shotted. I can see the tactician's ability to set spawn points as usefull though.

And anyone who argues that marksmen only get kills and don't contribute to the Warzone objectives hasn't been using marksman right. Its pretty easy to camp when you're invisible. Camp a capture-and-hold spot, or the propaganda drop-off, or near the opponent's spawn point for an assasination. I've had assasination targets run right by me close enough for the melee kill.

shantyman said:
Another thing that has helped me enjoy this game is not giving a hoot about my k/d ratio. I'm sitting at .41 or something and I don't care. I just play and have fun.

Ha. Man, I'm trés envious of you. I KNOW that KDRs are, for the most part, useless and meaningless (especially in a game type like Warzone), but when it's there, staring me in the face, reflecting the string of "poor" games that I just had... I can't hack it. And I hate myself for it.

Teach me to be a better person.

Teach me!

Kaze13 said:
Last night, I witnessed 4 guys with 40+ kills and 10 ish deaths. Again, that's 4 people with 4 to 1 k/d. The rest of their team were at 1.5 k/d. How in the world is that possible? I aim to prevent that shit. At most, 1 guy will sport a favorable ratio with all the rest around +/- 1.0. Not this time though.

I haven't had a negative K/D ratio in a very long time. The lowest I can remember since the game 'clicked' with me was 3.5:1

Dyno

Alright I finally started playing the MP and I really like it! That's probably because I'm pretty good at it right off the back. Far less ownage than other MP I've suffered.

I ranked up to Level 10 over the weekend and I've been putting all my points in Tactician. That M82 Assault Rifle is a beastly weapon. Next level I'll pair it up with the that heavy calibre revolver.

I've got the first tier Sentry Bot and Tactical Spawn but I went no further. They're okay but I see them as minor additions. Do they really improve if I buy the higher levels? Once I get the good weapons I want I may move on to another class.

Has anyone found a breakdown of all the classes online?

Dyno said:
Alright I finally started playing the MP and I really like it! That's probably because I'm pretty good at it right off the back. Far less ownage than other MP I've suffered.

I ranked up to Level 10 over the weekend and I've been putting all my points in Tactician. That M82 Assault Rifle is a beastly weapon. Next level I'll pair it up with the that heavy calibre revolver.

I've got the first tier Scout Bot and Tactical Spawn but I went no further. They're okay but I see them as minor additions. Do they really improve if I buy the higher levels? Once I get the good weapons I want I may move on to another class.

Has anyone found a breakdown of all the classes online?

The spawn capture ability is really important. You will often find yourself getting capped waiting to cap a spawn spot and players often don't bother to try and help capture. Almost every time I play tactician mainly I always feel like I'm playing by myself while everyone is running around getting kills, I'm trying to capture the spawns. Increasing the speed you capture spawns is really helpful.

jorma

is now taking requests
Kaze13 said:
US but lately, it seems that it has been flooded by everyone else. I've heard Euro accents and Asian characters in clan tags. It's just annoying because I know I can kill these guys but lag is making me work extra hard just to get a spawn point, a kill, a good k/d, etc.

Uh, if you are US and play on the US servers, would that not mean that the euros and asians you play with suffer from even more lag than you?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kaze13 said:

If you ignore the objectives and just try to maximize your KDR, your KDR will improve greatly.

Kaze13

Galvanise_ said:
I haven't had a negative K/D ratio in a very long time. The lowest I can remember since the game 'clicked' with me was 3.5:1

It will happen when you encounter laggy players. There is no choice but to take it up the ass or quit out of games lol. I don't quit so I take it :(

jorma said:
Uh, if you are US and play on the US servers, would that not mean that the euros and asians you play with suffer from even more lag than you?

Not my experience but you may be right. I have no clue. I just know when I'm at a disadvantage.

commish said:
If you ignore the objectives and just try to maximize your KDR, your KDR will improve greatly.

That's the thing. I don't ignore objectives. I usually play sniper (and very good at it) but it doesn't win games. Snipers can help a ton though.

Even playing as TACT I manage to keep my KDR at 1.5. It was as high as 1.8 but it was very hard to keep. My highest k/d game was 71/20. My highest ratio is as high as not dying lol.

shantyman said:
So what you are admitting is you are the problem, not the game?

I too play as Medic and Engineer and just the other day got 2k xp points in one match as an Engineer.

No the game still has major faults. And they don't change no matter how good or bad I play.

Kaze13 said:
It will happen when you encounter laggy players. There is no choice but to take it up the ass or quit out of games lol. I don't quit so I take it :(

I had one pretty laggy match a few days ago. I had to put a ton of bullets into someone with the engineers second LMG and I was thinking 'What the fuck?'. Thankfully it sorted itself out and normal domination could resume.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
No the game still has major faults. And they don't change no matter how good or bad I play.
I'm playing with the Move and have none of the problems you're having. There's not a lot wrong with the multiplayer. It's fucking fun as hell.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm not going to sit here and say the game is perfect. However, I do think the general vibe in this thread is that it's absolutely terrible and unplayable. That I strongly disagree with.

Kaze13 said:
That's the thing. I don't ignore objectives. I usually play sniper (and very good at it) but it doesn't win games. Snipers can help a ton though.

By doing what? Improving your own KDR?

A sniper basically is not capable of doing shit all other than using cloak and getting kills either with silenced weapons or sniping from afar, one can argue that killing the other team inevitably help your own team, but in KZ3 right now there are way too many snipers and infiltrators, and not enough medics/engineers/tacticians, resulting in no ammo boxes and nobody having the balls to capture key spawn points.

commish

MalboroRed said:

A sniper basically is not capable of doing shit all other than using cloak and getting kills either with silenced weapons or sniping from afar, one can argue that killing the other team inevitably help your own team but in KZ3 right now there are way too many snipers and infiltrators, and not enough medics/engineers/tacticians.

As I said last week:

commish said:
Absolutely wrong.

I can't count the number of kills I've had defending my team's S&R location.

I've lost count of my much easier it is to hold a C&H location when you can hide cloaked and easily pick off anyone who is capturing.

For assassination defense, marksmen provide a great barrier between the enemy and the target. Enemies will often sprint right up to you without realizing you are there. Mow them down.

For assassination offense, snipers are probably the biggest worry people have, which is why they hide behind buildings or in rooms.

For bodycount, we all know how easy it is to get a great KDR using the marksman class.

For search and destroy offense, I prefer to go infiltrator until we get a plant, and if we have the advantage, I'll go marksman because a marksman can guard the plant zone better than anyone. I get a lot of kills doing this.

For search and destroy defense, obviously snipers make great defenders, and a sniper sitting on the bomb locations can take out most planters.

Invisibility is extremely useful when going after objectives. There are two ways to skin a cat. Simply planting the bomb isn't all that is needed to win S&D, and capturing the speaker isn't all that is needed to win S&R, etc etc.

commish said:
As I said last week:

Basically you just listed a bunch of reasons why marksmen are great at camping the shit out of the game, that's all they do, except they don't have to work as hard to hide their positions.

Snipers aren't going to be very useful spawning from the base with no spawn points close to objectives, basically useful for jackshit when the whole team gets spawn camped, there simply aren't enough engineers/medics/tacticians and far too many marksmen and fucking infiltrators because people are too fucking blind to spot them and it's easy to milk some kills, easy-peasy when you don't have to stick your neck out to capture the spawn points.

I can live with a team with no marksmen and no infiltrators, they're far from crucial.

denomes

I had the craziest game of Warzone this weekend. Led my team from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3. The map was Turbine Concourse and the final objective was S&D.

It was a lengthy, but thrilling match!

Just finished the SP.

Ending Spoilers.
Awful final rail shooter segment. You can hardly see those missiles coming towards you. I'd hate to be playing this on a 20 inch tv. Also nice that they make you feel like you genocided the entire planet. Woohoo I killed EVERYTHING! Who's bright idea to end on a genocidal downer was that? The space fighter segments make me really appreciate the same well implemented ones in Halo Reach.

The cinematic animation on the faces and eyes is appalling for the budget. Some cinematics are actually pretty good but most are suffering from terrible photographic geography, rough editing, and technical issues including popping (which makes no sense as they have been captured and binked so why not clean them up?). My guess is a terribly tight schedule and WAY too big a scope within that schedule. These movie sequences are trying to cover so much and I can just hear the producer telling them to make them shorter and faster because no one has the attention span to watch them. The shorter you make them the less visual sense they are going to make.

The last few levels featuring the regular gameplay are actually really good. The entirety of the snow section barring the terrible snowmobile ride is excellent. Same goes for the junkyard section. It is clear that this game just needed more time and an editing knife to take out the padding. The flaws throughout are obvious ones and could have easily been fixed.

I personally really appreciate the changes to movement and control. They struck a really wonderful balance between the heft of KZ 2 and simpler shooters like COD. They needed to do something due to the widespread critisism of 2 all the while maintaining the character of the game so compaining about the change is pointless.

The KZ Art Director, Concept, and Art staff are probably the best in the business. The amount of work and design it takes to create these characters and worlds is AMAZING. The visuals are absolutely inspiring to someone who love sci-fi concept and design. Even Halo, which I absolutlely adore for its art and design, isn't as impressive when it comes to the fine detailing.

This could have been a wicked 9.5/10 Holiday 2011 release instead of a for no reason early 2011 release it ends up as a 7/10 at best. I wish they would do an old school KZ3 Remix or Directors Cut release and fix this up.

Kaze13

MalboroRed said:

A sniper basically is not capable of doing shit all other than using cloak and getting kills either with silenced weapons or sniping from afar, one can argue that killing the other team inevitably help your own team, but in KZ3 right now there are way too many snipers and infiltrators, and not enough medics/engineers/tacticians, resulting in no ammo boxes and nobody having the balls to capture key spawn points.

Your hate for snipers is showing lol.

Anyway, what I do as a sniper is always keep an eye out for the objective. Keeping that in mind, I'll shut out a pathway so enemy players have to go find another way. The usual pattern is Counter snipe > objective related kill > kill.

When I play as sniper, I always equip the appropriate weapon according to map. Large map = VC. Medium = Sta14. Small = AR. The silenced M66 is great for getting in the front line and help with the objectives. They should probably nerf the ammo even more for that gun though and force constant ammo crate visits. It's a sidearm with a high rate of fire. I think two full clips is good.

I can't speak for other snipers but I generally see a balance of teams using all sorts of classes except TACT lol. It's either no TACT or a full team of TACTS! I think that they should be limited in number in the squad but that's just me.

Kaze13 said:
Your hate for snipers is showing lol.

Anyway, what I do as a sniper is always keep an eye out for the objective. Keeping that in mind, I'll shut out a pathway so enemy players have to go find another way. The usual pattern is Counter snipe > objective related kill > kill.

When I play as sniper, I always equip the appropriate weapon according to map. Large map = VC. Medium = Sta14. Small = AR. The silenced M66 is great for getting in the front line and help with the objectives. They should probably nerf the ammo even more for that gun though and force constant ammo crate visits. It's a sidearm with a high rate of fire. I think two full clips is good.

I can't speak for other snipers but I generally see a balance of teams using all sorts of classes except TACT lol. It's either no TACT or a full team of TACTS!
I think that they should be limited in number in the squad but that's just me.

That's not balance at all. If anything they need to limit the number of marksmen and infiltrators to two per team, they're about as useful for objectives as exos, except there already is a cap on the number of exos. Tacticians are basically regular soldiers with a standard rifle capable of capturing spawnpoints, the more tacticians the better.

Objective related kill = CAMP, the only difference is that you have cloak and the person you're shooting at can't see you until he has his sights on you. You don't even need cloak to snipe or to camp, when a weapon like the M82 allows the player to pick someone's head off from halfway across the map, and that was back in KZ2 when there was recoil.

It's not like I dislike snipers per se, I dislike people who basically turtle when things get tough and they don't want to hurt their KDR, they hide somewhere and try to milk kills while the team gets hammered in warzone, those people tend to play as snipers, half the time those people put on their cloaks and block the fucking doorway, too stupid to move the fuck out of the way while other people are actually trying to do objectives.

commish

MalboroRed said:
Basically you just listed a bunch of reasons why marksmen are great at camping the shit out of the game, that's all they do, except they don't have to work as hard to hide their positions.

Snipers aren't going to be very useful spawning from the base with no spawn points close to objectives, basically useful for jackshit when the whole team gets spawn camped, there simply aren't enough engineers/medics/tacticians and far too many marksmen and fucking infiltrators because people are too fucking blind to spot them and it's easy to milk some kills, easy-peasy when you don't have to stick your neck out to capture the spawn points.

I can live with a team with no marksmen and no infiltrators, they're far from crucial.

Basically what I did is show how a marksman can use the abilities he was given to help his team win in Warzone. You can call it "camping" if you want, but it's how you win the game. You don't get extra points for running around going crazy. Seems like nowadays, defending an objective or an area of the map is automatically labeled "camping" and looked down upon.

10dollas

Banned
commish said:
Basically what I did is show how a marksman can use the abilities he was given to help his team win in Warzone. You can call it "camping" if you want, but it's how you win the game. You don't get extra points for running around going crazy. Seems like nowadays, defending an objective or an area of the map is automatically labeled "camping" and looked down upon.

You have a knack for explaining things very politely and very well in a patient manner. Half these posts I just want to strangle the person behind the words with their flawed logic/lack of reading comprehension or what not. Thank goodness for people like you or else I would have been banned long ago :D. o/

commish said:

Except you don't need cloak to defend anything, an engineer can defend an objective, except engineers are actually good for setting up turrets and ammo boxes, tacticians are actually good for setting up spawns so the rest of the team don't have to spawn back at home, medics can revive while defending an objective, as a marksman, your ability is to go invisible and remain invisible as long as you have cloak maxed and you're using silenced weapon while you camp, if a spawn goes down, you can't capture it back, if ammo boxes blow up, you can't repair them, if someone goes down in front of you, you can't revive them, while a marksman can arm or defuse a charge, a lot of them don't because all they care about is maintaining a high KDR. All the cloaking ability can do is get those people kills with their teammates basically serving as bait since the other team can't see the marksmen but they can see everyone else on the team who isn't cloaked, the marksman is not an essential class for objective games and they're perfect for those who simply don't like to stick their necks out for the team, but instead of letting those people play as other classes, a special class is created just for them.

My copy of Killzone Ascendancy just showed up. While it looks to be mostly just a novelization of the game I hope to see some future books expanding the universe.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
10dollas said:
You have a knack for explaining things very politely and very well in a patient manner. Half these posts I just want to strangle the person behind the words with their flawed logic/lack of reading comprehension or what not. Thank goodness for people like you or else I would have been banned long ago :D. o/

don't visit the official forums. :p
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-3-PS3/bd-p/bEN_Games_KZ3

commish

10dollas said:

Ha, thanks. Believe me, this patience has been developed after years of almost (or sometimes) raging on people who say stupid things. :)

So is this game really a lost cause? I was thinking about picking it up later, once through the story and maybe some multiplayer? I am tired of Black ops now, and BC2 isn't fully my thing. Is it really that bad? And plus I got the map pack for free and I don't have the game. :)

CozMick

Banned
Game2Death said:
So is this game really a lost cause? I was thinking about picking it up later, once through the story and maybe some multiplayer? I am tired of Black ops now, and BC2 isn't fully my thing. Is it really that bad? And plus I got the map pack for free and I don't have the game. :)

It's a great game that pissed off the Killzone 2 purists.

It's lacking maps at the moment, but finger's crossed that gets sorted.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Game2Death said:

It's not bad. If you never played KZ2 (or didn't like it) you might like it. I would recommend it in about 2 months once the patches (hopefully) come out.

alr1ghtstart said:
It's not bad. If you never played KZ2 (or didn't like it) you might like it. I would recommend it in about 2 months once the patches (hopefully) come out.
I didn't enjoy KZ2 too much, felt clustery. And the controls and stuff. Maybe I'll like this one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just tried playing this with a DS3 since the Move controls suck on a jetpack and, wow, it's just so much worse than playing with Move. I think Move may have ruined me on dual analogue shooters. I've had to max out the sensitivity just to feel like I can hold my own in any FPS now.

RoboPlato said:
I just tried playing this with a DS3 since the Move controls suck on a jetpack and, wow, it's just so much worse than playing with Move. I think Move may have ruined me on dual analogue shooters. I've had to max out the sensitivity just to feel like I can hold my own in any FPS now.

I actually feel sorry for DS users in KZ3 now. Its really easy to mow down a lot of people easily and it must be really frustrating to feel like you are dying cheaply.

Clinton514

Cataferal said:
I absolutely agree. I've had it to here with the empty lobbies and lop-sided teams, but this is the only game which offers this kind of experience, so it's worth the hassle. The Move controls are far more refined than MAG's, although I'll also admit that setting the Vertical and Horizontal Deadzones to 0 is an imperative. I simply couldn't play on the default settings.

Playing with the DS3 after using the Move for 50 hours was a surreal experience.
Empty lobbies? You kidding me. What game mode are you trying to play?

Top Bottom