• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

patsu

denomes said:
I had the craziest game of Warzone this weekend. Led my team from a 3-0 deficit to win 4-3. The map was Turbine Concourse and the final objective was S&D.

It was a lengthy, but thrilling match!

^_^ Yes ! I find that if you're focused, you can make a difference in Warzone missions. Have come back from behind to barely win in a few games. It's satisfying, especially in new maps that used to be confusing.

Tom Penny

MalboroRed said:
That's not balance at all. If anything they need to limit the number of marksmen and infiltrators to two per team, they're about as useful for objectives as exos, except there already is a cap on the number of exos. Tacticians are basically regular soldiers with a standard rifle capable of capturing spawnpoints, the more tacticians the better.

Objective related kill = CAMP, the only difference is that you have cloak and the person you're shooting at can't see you until he has his sights on you. You don't even need cloak to snipe or to camp, when a weapon like the M82 allows the player to pick someone's head off from halfway across the map, and that was back in KZ2 when there was recoil.

It's not like I dislike snipers per se, I dislike people who basically turtle when things get tough and they don't want to hurt their KDR, they hide somewhere and try to milk kills while the team gets hammered in warzone, those people tend to play as snipers, half the time those people put on their cloaks and block the fucking doorway, too stupid to move the fuck out of the way while other people are actually trying to do objectives.

Well I love Turbine Concourse. Search and destroy. There is always assholes that if they have the spawn that's above. With the turrets etc. They will be the team that will have to plant the bombs but instead they will used turrets and snipers from the above spawn and never go down to plant and just shoot down at the people defending. A cloaked snipers is a tad hard to find from that distance.

Oni Jazar

FUCK THIS GAME.

I'm at the snow level and have been for some time now because it keeps crashing on me right before lowering that platform after iceberg hopping. Hard freezes where I have to shut off the PS3 to get things back to normal.

Once it didn't freeze but it wouldn't trigger the next action. Kept telling me to walk to the waypoint which I kept jumping up and down on. Then it froze. Wouldn't be the end of the world if the fucking game had better checkpoints when you started up. So every time it crashes I have to and blow up the AA guns again. To add final insult to injury that's the only level where I can't use Move because the jetpack is fucked up.

Oni Jazar said:
FUCK THIS GAME.

I'm at the snow level and have been for some time now because it keeps crashing on me right before lowering that platform after iceberg hopping. Hard freezes where I have to shut off the PS3 to get things back to normal.

Once it didn't freeze but it wouldn't trigger the next action. Kept telling me to walk to the waypoint which I kept jumping up and down on. Then it froze. Wouldn't be the end of the world if the fucking game had better checkpoints when you started up. So every time it crashes I have to and blow up the AA guns again. To add final insult to injury that's the only level where I can't use Move because the jetpack is fucked up.

This is strange, first time I hear of this problem. I suppose that you have checked that your disc is not scratched or anything, right?

carlosp

Banned
just finished it and i am kinda disappointed. The final sector of the game is not rewarding, nor it is challenging.

In general I liked the game, i dont know if i like it more then KZ2 but it is a lot of fun. The graphics, while not as spectacular as KZ2, give you a very good feeling. The world looks very real and it feels like you are just in this world. Also the weapons felt very good, but i wish i could use that electro shock weapon :D

Somehow it felt even more like a movie then Uncharted 2 to me. It was really that B-Movie ScieFie action movie you watched dozen of times and the graphics and the spectacular sound helped as well.

Anyhow i would probably give it a 85/100, only for the single player.

- great technology
- average story
- average campaign and level design
- for a FPS quite varied level design still

Oni Jazar

Lord Griegous said:
This is strange, first time I hear of this problem. I suppose that you have checked that your disc is not scratched or anything, right?

Yeah, I thought of the same thing after I left home. Just really pissed me off because my entire morning was wasted. :/

nib95

Banned
Dibbz said:
OK so for the last few days I've been working on a "trailer" for Killzone 3. It consists entirely of gameplay and follows what Ballet of Death done for Killzone 2.

Spoilers throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfFNmyawAw4

Cool vid except for the off screen quality and jerkiness is slowing the footage down. But otherwise it really shows off the great hit detection and physics. Love the track as well.

Dibbz

Thrakier said:
Wow, can't watch it here in germany. "Sony Music" doesn't want me to.
Ah sorry you can't watch it. Maybe through a proxy or something?

If not if you know any other good video uploading sites I'll try and upload it there for you. Vimeo has a limit of 500MB so I can't try there. :(

commish said:
Basically what I did is show how a marksman can use the abilities he was given to help his team win in Warzone. You can call it "camping" if you want, but it's how you win the game. You don't get extra points for running around going crazy. Seems like nowadays, defending an objective or an area of the map is automatically labeled "camping" and looked down upon.

I agree. I have to say there are marksmen players who neglect the objectives though. Just last night I saw a marksman choose to hide and wait for his cloak to go up again, rather than help the assasination target who was in immediate danger and got killed 5 seconds later. Sometimes you do have to run and gun it, and when you can afford to, its prefferable to camp.

Thrakier said:
I guess there a reasons for this...

Well it would certainly be good to know what the fuck is going on (patches, what they are experimenting on, new maps etc). Having him around during KZ2 development/release was very handy. If he's hiding because people have complaints then. . .wow. James Stevenson, the legend, sticks with GAF through the good times and the bad times.

sTaTIx

carlosp said:
The graphics, while not as spectacular as KZ2, give you a very good feeling.
Why do I hear some people say that KZ3's graphics are not as good as KZ2's? KZ3 is a technical improvement over its predecessor in almost every way, including better texturing, a fantastic AA system, more polygonal detail, and larger-scale environments.

sTaTIx said:
Why do I hear some people say that KZ3's graphics are not as good as KZ2's? KZ3 is a technical improvement over its predecessor in almost every way, including better texturing, a fantastic AA system, more polygonal detail, and larger-scale environments.

Count me in that camp that feels KZ2 LOOKS better than KZ3. KZ3 may technically be better but I still prefer what they did with KZ2. Image is too crisp in KZ3.

Dibbz

10dollas said:
how much time did it take to make this video and what tools did you use?

Its nicely intune
Thanks.

Took me just under a week. That's gathering the footage with my camera and editing. Then finalizing with music.

Used a trial version of Adobe After Effects CS5.

My computer is pretty slow so rendering out the footage to see what it looks and sounds like took me a while.

Dibbz said:
OK so for the last few days I've been working on a "trailer" for Killzone 3. It consists entirely of gameplay and follows what Ballet of Death done for Killzone 2.

Nice vid! It's better than the official ad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_6LAQYDefk

Although, I felt you over-used the "red borders near death" thing too often. It's interesting once or twice, but most of the time it obscures the beauty of what you're trying to show.

Thrakier

Just played the Socom 4 Beta. It's like always the same...I see those complaints about KZ3, some of those I think are legit, I try another online game and I'm like...OMG, back to KZ3. Despite the issues I think some people forget that's still a high quality game.

Dibbz

Barsoomian said:
Nice vid! It's better than the official ad!

Although, I felt you over-used the "red borders near death" thing too often. It's interesting once or twice, but most of the time it obscures the beauty of what you're trying to show.
Thanks.

lol it's because I was getting my ass handed to me. Trust me it wasn't by choice that I had red blood all over my face on more than one occasion :D

The way KZ3 is it's very hard to replicate certain kills (that's why it's so good) so I was forced in a way to use those clips of me almost dying because I'd never get another kill like that in like 20 minutes of gaming.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thrakier said:
Just played the Socom 4 Beta. It's like always the same...I see those complaints about KZ3, some of those I think are legit, I try another online game and I'm like...OMG, back to KZ3. Despite the issues I think some people forget that's still a high quality game.

I agree to a certain extent, but sometimes I play a different game - most recently, Homefront - and I realize the little things that KZ3 doesn't have that pushes me away. Things such as balanced maps, no spawn camping, almost no "that was bullshit" anger moments, no long waits between games, no stupid exos/wasps... but then again, I sometimes have problems getting into a Homefront game, it freezes too much, sometimes there are too many snipers, etc....

Too bad you didn't like SOCOM - I am looking forward to trying it today. I might even try Crysis if the impressions are positive (no longer blind buying!). I'll still keep KZ3 around, though, because I hope GG will fix the issues and there's a ton about the game that I love.

nib95

Banned
sTaTIx said:

I was browsing some forums yesterday and some guy took direct captures of both games. The differences were much more than I initially thought. Textures, lighting and just general detail of KZ3 is exponentially greater than KZ2. That QAA really takes away from the sharpness of KZ2's image, and the lesser quality textures don't help.

Dahbomb

Just got this game. What difficulty should I start Killzone 3 on? I tend to start games on Hard difficulty if possible and this game has it. I remember the Killzone games being a bit more difficult than the average FPS.

So should I play on Veteran? I like the thrill of a good challenging fight but if I am going to stay in cover all the time for 12+ hours then I might revert to normal.

-viper-

Banned
nib95 said:
I was browsing some forums yesterday and some guy took direct captures of both games. The differences were much more than I initially thought. Textures, lighting, detail and just general detail of KZ3 is exponentially greater than KZ2. That QAA really takes away from the sharpness of KZ2's image, and the lesser quality textures don't help.
While the texturing and geometry may look better, KZ2 better had better art style. And most importantly, it had much better lighting and motion blur. None of the post processing effects I loved in KZ2 were in the sequel.

Wouldn't mind seeing those pictures though.

Dahbomb said:
What difficulty should I start Killzone 3 on? I tend to start games on Hard difficulty if possible
I tend to start on Normal and then if I like the game enough, replay on Hard. With K3 on Normal I found the regular on-foot gameplay sections not particularly challenging, but the other sections were harder, and in some of those it's harder to avoid damage and I would probably find those frustrating on Hard. It's also a short campaign, fwiw.

Massa

Killzone 2 was still my favorite looking game on PS3 until KZ3 came out. It has been easily surpassed imo.

Speaking of, some art:

killzone-3-flooded-pyrrhus.jpg

killzone-3-jungle-base-assault.jpg

killzone-3-nuked-pyrrhus.jpg

killzone-3-stahl-arms.jpg

Dibbz said:
Thanks.

lol it's because I was getting my ass handed to me. Trust me it wasn't by choice that I had red blood all over my face on more than one occasion :D

The way KZ3 is it's very hard to replicate certain kills (that's why it's so good) so I was forced in a way to use those clips of me almost dying because I'd never get another kill like that in like 20 minutes of gaming.

That fadeout at the end with the Helghast body floating away weightless was epic shit dude! Very well done and stylish. If you can get a 720p version going that would be killer.

Dibbz

perineumlick said:

That fadeout at the end with the Helghast body floating away weightless was epic shit dude! Very well done and stylish. If you can get a 720p version going that would be killer.
Thanks.

The original version is 720p but it comes in at like 6GB and youtube has a 2GB limit. Plus the fact it is not direct feed it doesn't have the clean crispness of HD. I'd love to get a HD capture card but can't afford one. :(

patsu

Dibbz said:

Spoilers throughout.

A stellar fan effort ! Most impressed by the intelligent choice of music. ^_^

I didn't realize the animations were so refined in KZ3. Was too busy clearing the levels.

For commercial grade, should trim the trailer down even more (Pick only the very best and most suitable). Right now, it seems to have materials for 2-3 trailers with different music in my mind. May also need to choose an equally classy but slightly more epic music. Then the "Ballet of Death" will really be in trouble. Unfortunately, by then, the exercise becomes work rather than enthusiasm. 8^P

I like it a lot nonetheless.

-Amon-

Galvanise_ said:
Well it would certainly be good to know what the fuck is going on (patches, what they are experimenting on, new maps etc). Having him around during KZ2 development/release was very handy. If he's hiding because people have complaints then. .

Considering the kind of whining about Kz3 you read in this thread i guess it's easy to understand why the guy is not around anymore.

Dibbz

patsu said:
A stellar fan effort ! Most impressed by the intelligent choice of music. ^_^

I didn't realize the animations were so refined in KZ3. Was too busy clearing the levels.

For commercial grade, should trim the trailer down even more (Pick only the very best and most suitable). Right now, it seems to have materials for 2-3 trailers with different music in my mind. May also need to choose an equally classy but slightly more epic music. Then the "Ballet of Death" will really be in trouble. Unfortunately, by then, the exercise becomes work rather than enthusiasm. 8^P

I like it a lot nonetheless.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll go back and change things now but I'll be sure to keep this in mind for anything I do in the future.

Originally the video was about 4 minutes long. It was hard for me to cut it down then because I really wanted to show the variety of levels and weapons in KZ3 whilst making sure the clips were of a high quality.

I was worried that with the music choice people would shrug my video off as being pretentious but I'm glad that you guys don't see it that way.

patsu

-Amon- said:
Considering the kind of whining about Kz3 you read in this thread i guess it's easy to understand why the guy is not around anymore.

He should come back after the MTU fix and making custom games available. Must not feel discouraged or defeated by negative comments. The game deserves more explanations by the developers themselves.

patsu

Dibbz said:
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'll go back and change things now but I'll be sure to keep this in mind for anything I do in the future.

Originally the video was about 4 minutes long. It was hard for me to cut it down then because I really wanted to show the variety of levels and weapons in KZ3 whilst making sure the clips were of a high quality.

I was worried that with the music choice people would shrug my video off as being pretentious but I'm glad that you guys don't see it that way.

Yeah... I only paid attention to the movement and music. May need a separate trailer for variety (JUUUUUNKKKYAAAARRRD ! and some MAWLR love). Just focus on only one concept and execute it very well.

-Amon- said:

Well a community manager is meant to interact with the community, whether they have good things to say or bad things to say. I've been very vocal about what I dislike about KZ3 but I'm not going to whinge at him. I just want to know what they are doing to sort out the issues we (the wider community) have.

Did James Stevenson disappear after people whinged about Resistance 2? No. He stuck around and got more awesome.

Putting back in KZ2 earlier, i'm just not seeing whats better. The blur was more pronounced and it had a much grimmer industrialized art direction. But KZ3 blows it away.

Also god damn KZ2 is a laggy ass game (lagzone), the net code in KZ3 is far far better. Though god damn the KZ2 maps were fantastic.

BattleMonkey said:
Putting back in KZ2 earlier, i'm just not seeing whats better. The blur was more pronounced and it had a much grimmer industrialized art direction. But KZ3 blows it away.

Also god damn KZ2 is a laggy ass game (lagzone), the net code in KZ3 is far far better. Though god damn the KZ2 maps were fantastic.

The maps in KZ2 is complex enough but not overly complex unlike those in KZ3 which expose you as a player to three or four different angles of getting flanked, even for some of the old maps like Blood Gracht they overdid it in terms of how many entrances there are in any given room, even if you're constantly looking over your back it's still very easy to get flanked all the time unless the rest of the team doesn't suffer from tunnel vision, it's much easier to account for all the paths in a particular area.

Top Bottom