• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Ezahn

Meijimasha said:
Nope. This patch only fixed scoring and lag issues. Big fixes are still on the way at a TBD date. I hope this doesn't turn into another SOCOM Confrontation....

Frankly (and I do like KZ3 overall) this is getting ridiculous.

Boombloxer said:
This is a legit complaint, and I get where you're coming from. It's quite interesting to me that they chose that route, AC2 takes years to complete its story (in game time), U2 happens over a span of a few months. It's just like "SOME SHIT EXPLODED MY SHIP NOOOOO! WTF HAPPEN--"

SIX MONTHS LATER:

"Where are the ISA?"

No lead-in. Even if they found a map that detailed a back-up camp for emergencies, or something, that would've been better than what we got.

I don't think it has to do with the script but rather the editing of the cutscenes. Even in the "Justice" trailer there is a short scene of
where an ISA cruiser is shot down by the MAWLR's main cannon
. That actually is not present at all in the final game. Also with the Icesaw transition there is in the artbook
an image of Stahl's facility being destroyed
again something that doesn't make it into the game. Also nothing explains what happens to
Narville
at the end of the game.

I also think the cutscene editing has to do with the audio sync issues as well. It looks like GG has cut portions of the cutscenes but without time to re-record audio so they pasted the audio on the edited cutscenes and hoped for the best.

XTERC

Is there any way of forcing patch 1.06?

I have 1.04 (USA), and my brother (UK) has 1.06. We can't seem to join the same game (game not found error is displayed).

-viper-

Banned
erlim said:
Killzone 2 would probably be an overload for you then.
Although KZ3 has far bigger levels and better textures, I think I much prefer the awesome motion blur and lighting of KZ2.

KZ2 looks like CG at times. KZ3 does not.

Also, not once I felt this in KZ3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfG-lTCi13Q

Hard to say which game I prefer - both games are very different. Gameplay of KZ3 is really great although KZ2 felt more 'visceral'.

Aguirre

Fantastic OT, OP. Picking up my copy today. Just beat KZ2 so fortunately I don't have to wait for ages to play the sequel! I have seen a ton of Youtube vids and I'd say it looks better than it's predecessor.

Bravo!

Halcyon

I just got a 1000 point kill/kills. I was defending territory on bridge in the market and quick shot two guys then threw a grenade. Got a headshot then a regular kill then a bot kill so I had a streak, then it went to 4 5 6 explosive explosive explosive and added up to 1000.

I've never gotten that many points at once. What are peoples biggest clumps of points?

Crisis

Banned
Okay. So I downloaded the patch from this morning or whatever. First of all, I have PS + so this should have already been downloaded from my auto-update. So then I log onto Killzone 3 multiplayer. I got to play two Operations matches altogether. The first one I joined kind of late and my team, despite their best efforts, were unable to pull off a victory. Well, that happens. So I join another match. And my team is working well at first. We won the first round, no problem. Then it starts turning into a clusterfuck shortly thereafter because they apparently could not think to stop blocking the goddamn hallway to let some people run AROUND them. (Running underneath it, in the snow was a death trap.) Somehow we managed to win that too. Then what followed was the stupidest bullshit I have ever seen. They pretty much REFUSED to go and capture the three points. Myself and ONE other person went to do this. The rest of them sat around jerking off or whatever. Great community.

And here's the biggest problem. This patch is so fucking unstable that it kicked me off after that game, refused to let me get back onto Killzone 3 multiplayer and refuses to connect online at all. Fix this shit? No, fuck this shit, Guerilla. You got three days or I'm going to trade it in.

The Chef

I just can not get it to feel right playing with the Move. Been playing with settings and dead zones for several days now but I find that I am barely aware of whats happening in the game, instead I'm cautiously and slowly moving the wand around and trying to play naturally but for the life of me I just cant get it to feel right.

Regular controller for me!

meppi

Crisis said:
Then what followed was the stupidest bullshit I have ever seen. They pretty much REFUSED to go and capture the three points. Myself and ONE other person went to do this. The rest of them sat around jerking off or whatever. Great community.
Sounds like KZ multiplayer all-right. :-/
So glad I did not get suckered into buying this sorry excuse of a sequel.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
HalcyonTB12 said:
I've never gotten that many points at once. What are peoples biggest clumps of points?

1450, had the 60 seconds double XP ribbon

Frozen Dam of all places lol

As a Helgy, I protected the S&D spot, when it was over, I ran through the building leading to the bending path near the second C&H. 1 Guy I brutal meleed, turning the corner and lobbed 3 consecutive grenades in the corridor room that ISA roll out of, lets just say, explosive kills climbed up like a motherfucker

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
meppi said:
Sounds like KZ multiplayer all-right. :-/
So glad I did not get suckered into buying this sorry excuse of a sequel.

It really has been a mess for me, not necassarily for these reasons, but mainly- matchmaking, lag, balancing, etc. That being said I don't really like games anyways that require a whole ton of team work, because of things like this situation. A lot of people don't play for the objective, they play to get kills, this completely kills your chances of actually winning.

The Chef said:
I just can not get it to feel right playing with the Move. Been playing with settings and dead zones for several days now but I find that I am barely aware of whats happening in the game, instead I'm cautiously and slowly moving the wand around and trying to play naturally but for the life of me I just cant get it to feel right.

I tried numerous settings also, just couldn't get used to it, hopefully we start getting games that are built for the Move from the ground up, I love the Metriod games on the Wii and want it to be smooth like that.

dreamer3kx said:
I tried numerous settings also, just couldn't get used to it, hopefully we start getting games that are built for the Move from the ground up, I love the Metriod games on the Wii and want it to be smooth like that.

Built from the ground up or not, KZ3 uses the Move INSANELY well. Stick at it, is all I can say. For myself and many others, it has become second nature.

I thought I'd tweaked the settings to perfection after having repeatedly gone through the SP demo - my dead zone settings were something horrible like 50 and 70 for 'width' and 'height', respectively - but after having sunk my teeth into some Warzone and getting absolutely raped, I condemned the Move for all eternity. What made me pick it up again was that I had regrettably (at that moment in time) dropped $150AUD on it and that when it "clicked", or when I thought it did, anyway, it kinda did feel fucking great.

So, I persevered and long story short, 30 hours later, my dead zone settings are both at 0%, my turn speed at 90% and my cross-hair sensitivity at 20% - worlds apart from what I initially thought was perfect - and I am zig-zagging all over the screen, mowing down helpless DS3 users :).

If it weren't for Move, I would not being playing Killzone 3. It's as simple as that; it just makes it that much more fun to play.

I also adore how using Move shows off the sublime gun models more. Shit like this really gets me going :).

mickcenary said:
So, I persevered and long story short, 30 hours later, my dead zone settings are both at 0%, my turn speed at 90% and my cross-hair sensitivity at 20% - worlds apart from what I initially thought was perfect

Bloomin' 'eck. Mine is at 30%.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
mickcenary said:
If it weren't for Move, I would not being playing Killzone 3. It's as simple as that; it just makes it that much more fun to play.
I absolutely agree. I've had it to here with the empty lobbies and lop-sided teams, but this is the only game which offers this kind of experience, so it's worth the hassle. The Move controls are far more refined than MAG's, although I'll also admit that setting the Vertical and Horizontal Deadzones to 0 is an imperative. I simply couldn't play on the default settings.

Playing with the DS3 after using the Move for 50 hours was a surreal experience.

Based on the number of games I played last night with fellow FTSG members, 1.06 has greatly reduced the amount of lag in the game. There is still some when playing against those from other regions but it's not nearly as bad as before.

I came in 1st a few times, even when I was just screwing around and going for pistol kills.

The Chef said:

Try upping the turning speed to 80 - 90% if you haven't done so. Then you can do 90degree turns with just a flick of the wrist. Once you get uset to the flick motion there will be no turning back.

One thing that I'm still impressed with is how well the facial animation was done... But only for Sev... Everyone else seems to have stiff reactions other than the two Helgan leaders.

Zen

Banned
Killzone 2 with Killzone 3 tech pushing it even further would be bananas.

RelentlessRolento said:
One thing that I'm still impressed with is how well the facial animation was done... But only for Sev... Everyone else seems to have stiff reactions other than the two Helgan leaders.

Yeah Guerrilla seems to have a... bad.. facial rig in their games, or some such, because you can really tell what characters got the TLC and what characters didn't get the priority (due to time and effort required, one would think).

Dibbz

About Move one thing I noticed that helped me out was getting the calibration for it right before you start to tweak settings.

When you boot up KZ3 and go to calibrate motion controller, make sure when it asks you to point to the top left and bottom right you do it to what feels enough for your hand.

I sit at an angle from my TV so turning right I have only make a little motion where as turning left is bigger just because of the way my room is set up.

This will help you use Move more effectively.

My settings are:

Horizontal DZ: 0
Vertical DZ: 10
Sensitivity: 30

but that just me.

NIN90

Finished it about an hour ago.
Very disapointing game as a whole. Only part that was really great was the jetpack section which reminded me of Crysis.
But Jesus Christ, the gunfights are so fucking boring in this game.

Acrylic7

NIN90 said:
Very disapointing game as a whole. Only part that was really great was the jetpack section which reminded me of Crysis.
play kz2

Thrakier

NIN90 said:

The gunfights are boring? o_O THose are the best. Don't know...maybe play on elite?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
nah, they're pretty boring here. See enemy hiding behind cover, zoom in and let the aim assist (which you can't turn off) point right at the guy's head, boom.

alr1ghtstart said:
nah, they're pretty boring here. See enemy hiding behind cover, zoom in and let the aim assist (which you can't turn off) point right at the guy's head, boom.

It's a good thing it's nothing like that

alr1ght

BattleMonkey said:
It's a good thing it's nothing like that

I've played it twice, sir. It even locks on (or should I say, snaps to) when playing with Move. It's not as bad as some games, but it's there and definitely hurts the gunplay.

Snookie

So I havent really been following this game much, but I do have move and I was curious if people were still using move with this or how it plays with it? Have people ditched the controller completely for it?

CozMick

Banned
Snookie said:
So I havent really been following this game much, but I do have move and I was curious if people were still using move with this or how it plays with it? Have people ditched the controller completely for it?

I only use Move, DS3 is a disadvantage!

Snookie said:

I only use Move. DS is a caveman tool to me now.

Thrakier

alr1ghtstart said:
I've played it twice, sir. It even locks on (or should I say, snaps to) when playing with Move. It's not as bad as some games, but it's there and definitely hurts the gunplay.

Hm, never noticed it with move. Having good times with the campagin even though there are shortcomings.

Dibbz

Snookie said:
Play with Move only. Went back through the campaign and tried the DS3 but didn't last more than 5 minutes since the DS3 is so slow in comparison to Move.

Just feels like you have so much more control, you can do big swipes or little adjustments with ease with Move.

Dibbz

ZeroRay said:
I had some great warzone matches on Saluman.

Why is the best warzone map from KZ2?
Bilkarsk Boulivard (or whatever the fuck it's called) is the best Warzone map. Honestly though most of the maps are really good in KZ3.

I guess you guys have fond memories of all of the maps in KZ2 though since you probably got to play them all in clan matches. Shame the public was stuck with Radec and Tharsis for eternity.

ZeroRay

Dibbz said:
Bilkarsk Boulivard (or whatever the fuck it's called) is the best Warzone map. Honestly though most of the maps are really good in KZ3.

I guess you guys have fond memories of all of the maps in KZ2 though since you probably got to play them all in clan matches. Shame the public was stuck with Radec and Tharsis for eternity.

The maps are fine for GW, which I mainly play, but when put into warzone, only a few stand out. BB is actually the best map this game shipped with and is becoming the Radec of KZ3, at least in GW where everybody always votes for it.

alr1ght

Dibbz said:

BB is the best new map. The rest of the maps are trash. In KZ2, simply "Quit Game" join different server, or make your own.

Excuse me a second while I rage. I fucking hate this game. Never have I played an online game where I spent more time cursing then anything else. Every second is nonstop bullshit. You die too damn quickly. Almost every map is garbage whether it's played on warzone or guerrilla warfare. The marksmen class is the most overpowered shit there is. Let's give them infinite cloak, a radar jammer, the best assault rifle, and a one shot sniper rifle. Fuck you Guerrilla. The infiltrator class is no better. And every scrub, bitch, or camper uses one or the other. I can't take it anymore. I had fun playing Killzone 2, but there's none to be found here for me. End rage.

Halcyon

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Excuse me a second while I rage. I fucking hate this game. Never have I played an online game where I spent more time cursing then anything else. Every second is nonstop bullshit. You die too damn quickly. Almost every map is garbage whether it's played on warzone or guerrilla warfare. The marksmen class is the most overpowered shit there is. Let's give them infinite cloak, a radar jammer, the best assault rifle, and a one shot sniper rifle. Fuck you Guerrilla. The infiltrator class is no better. And every scrub, bitch, or camper uses one or the other. I can't take it anymore. I had fun playing Killzone 2, but there's none to be found here for me. End rage.
I play medic and routinely win GW matches. Move is awesomesauce.

Agent X

Snookie said:

I only play the game using Move. It's excellent!

I've only used the Dual Shock 3 briefly during the open beta. After a couple of games, I tried changing to Move controls, and it's so effective that I have no desire to change back to the Dual Shock 3 again.

Galvanise_ said:

Ha. Yeah, mine was initially very low. Work on upping it, dude; it'll pay off in spades.

There's nothing quite as satisfying as nailing a 90/180 degree turn with one swift flick of the wrist and headshotting some poor bastard.

Thrakier

Galvanise_ said:

Doesn't mean anything. It's in high corelation with the calibration process. Your 30% feel nothing like mine. Heck, even mine don't feel the same every time. I had all between 10% and 80%, depending on how I calibrated. I'm finetuning the first few play minutes. With some experience you know what you do.

patsu

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

What class did you play as ? I think the Tactician has the best Assault Rifle. Marksman has pretty weak weapons.

I play Marksman, Medic and Infiltrator. Of the 3, medic usually has the best experience (most kills, most points, and most rewarding). Marksman and Infiltrator's experiences vary wildly. You can rake up kills if people are careless, but you may also get busted very quickly almost every time.

sharath_kumar

Neo Member
I just finished the SP campaign. As others have said, the main negatives are the story. This does not seem a good continuation of the nicely set ending of KZ2. It looks like they designed the game-play first and story last. The difficulty with veteran also seems easier than KZ2, but this could be because of Move.

The graphics are superb as always and continue to amaze. The sound design is also up there with the best. Gameplay is fun for most parts with some sections being amazing and brilliant, but few others mediocre or just annoying. Playing with move is fantastic experience and after finishing the game with move, there is no going back to DS3.

Overall, the game is good and fun but it could have been great.

Top Bottom