• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

mave198

MP definitely needs work.

Matchmaking is my biggest gripe. Sometimes games will start 8 vs 5 or even 3.

Fix that shit Guerilla.

patsu

10dollas said:
Have the developers even officially recognized the Map rotation as a problem? Maybe it's working as intended, because I recently downloaded the retropack about a week ago and its definitely been overblown out of proportion. It seems like there is a 50 50 chance of getting put into a SM only playlist and retail maps only playlist respectively. It seems like an ok situation to me. A person can drop into and play the new maps whenever they want and when they have had their lunch meat fix, they can just quit and search again. Chances are you'll be dropped into a normal playlist. For all the complaints about dividing the community day one, it seems like this system was designed to minimize this issue. And it works under the assumption that the avg person has an ounce of a clue to drop out the playlist and search for a new game instead of enduring the Salami market endurance test straight into eternity with a misguided hope that: maybe, just maybe, one day a Frozen Dam might surprise them, if they hold out.

But that's just my own experiences. I could just be lucky and It might not hold true for everyone. Either way, the entire situation isn't completely ideal anyhow.

Yeah, depends on you luck. At first I always get Salamun Market. Now it's a mix, sometimes I don't see it the whole day, sometimes I play 3 in a row.

They may have addressed it somewhat during the server patch. I have no idea.

Solal

No. It 's a bug. I downloaded the retro map last week and since then, NEVER had anything else but Salomon Market.

I can't believe they still did not fix this.

GG never miss an opportunity to fail.

patsu

They said it's a bug where SM appears 50% of the time, but I haven't seen it in a while. It came back yesterday in 3 games though. Was playing the new maps for the rest of last week.

Massa

10dollas said:
Have the developers even officially recognized the Map rotation as a problem? Maybe it's working as intended, because I recently downloaded the retropack about a week ago and its definitely been overblown out of proportion. It seems like there is a 50 50 chance of getting put into a SM only playlist and retail maps only playlist respectively. It seems like an ok situation to me. A person can drop into and play the new maps whenever they want and when they have had their lunch meat fix, they can just quit and search again. Chances are you'll be dropped into a normal playlist. For all the complaints about dividing the community day one, it seems like this system was designed to minimize this issue. And it works under the assumption that the avg person has an ounce of a clue to drop out the playlist and search for a new game instead of enduring the Salami market endurance test straight into eternity with a misguided hope that: maybe, just maybe, one day a Frozen Dam might surprise them, if they hold out.

But that's just my own experiences. I could just be lucky and It might not hold true for everyone. Either way, the entire situation isn't completely ideal anyhow.

My guess is there are three type of servers in Killzone 3:

1) all maps, voting after each round;
2) only DLC maps, voting after each round (well, no voting now as only a single map exists, but at least that's how I hope it works);
3) same map over and over again.

The last one is the type you get if you select a specific map in "Map selection". The first two have a 50% of chance of being selected when you have "Any" in your selection.

I'm curious to see what happens after the DLC comes out. If the above is true then people who don't buy it should stop getting option 2) when "Any" is selected, and the people who buy it will at least have two maps to play instead of one when they get the DLC server 50% of the time.

What I'd like them to do with the next patch is have the following options for map selection:
1) "All maps", which puts in you a server that runs all maps, DLC and originals. Obviously you can only have this option if you buy all packs, but it should be the default option for those who do.
2) "Original maps", which runs all the original maps that came with the game.
3) "<Map name>" same as now, puts in you a server that runs the same map over and over. Available for every map in the game, standard or DLC.

The other tweaks I'd like to see with matchmaking:
1) It seems people either don't ever quit matches or matchmaking always makes sure the server are FULL. That would be great if not for the fact I can almost never join a friend (world is full). I'd like to see the matchmaking system start Warzone games with 20 players or more, but then don't add people to the server unless there's less than 20 total players or a team is outnumbered by more than 2 people.

2) If I do join a friend there's a good chance I'm put on the opposite team, for balancing issues. That's fine, but the game should move me to the other team after the round is over.

Facism

The cat helmet edition is going for £45 instore @ HMV. My local has about 7 of them, whereas the nearest city HMV has another 5.

10dollas said:
Have the developers even officially recognized the Map rotation as a problem? Maybe it's working as intended

Yes, they have recognized it as a problem. For several weeks, it has been in their FAQ. They claim they are looking to fix it in a patch... except it has been at least 2 patches since then.

Whether it's working "as intended" is not the question. The question is, is it working as it SHOULD. They way it SHOULD work is, if you didn't pick a preference of map, it should not dump you into a playlist of the same damn map (this example is based on the assumption you've picked the game type Warzone). That is not intuitive. That is not correct.

Granted, there is the problem of what to do if some people in the current game have content X, and some do not. How would you vote for it? Well, for starters, only match with people who have the same content. If that is not possible, then there's no law saying you have to keep the same players together match after match. You can just go find another room after the match is over.

Now, we know there is a workaround. So it's not the end of the world.

10dollas

Banned
Massa said:
My guess is there are three type of servers in Killzone 3:

1) all maps, voting after each round;
2) only DLC maps, voting after each round (well, no voting now as only a single map exists, but at least that's how I hope it works);
3) same map over and over again.

The last one is the type you get if you select a specific map in "Map selection". The first two have a 50% of chance of being selected when you have "Any" in your selection.

I'm curious to see what happens after the DLC comes out. If the above is true then people who don't buy it should stop getting option 2) when "Any" is selected, and the people who buy it will at least have two maps to play instead of one when they get the DLC server 50% of the time.

What I'd like them to do with the next patch is have the following options for map selection:
1) "All maps", which puts in you a server that runs all maps, DLC and originals. Obviously you can only have this option if you buy all packs, but it should be the default option for those who do.
2) "Original maps", which runs all the original maps that came with the game.
3) "<Map name>" same as now, puts in you a server that runs the same map over and over. Available for every map in the game, standard or DLC.

I'm liking the way you are thinking. I too have had some thoughts and questions over the above. The only problem with what you would like to do, is that people would have no incentive to go play on the "original maps" if all the original maps are included in the All maps playlist(except if they want to play with a buddy who didnt get the DLC). This in effect divides the community.

They have come a long way from the launch of KZ2 when it comes to including friends. They still have a lot of kinks to work out. Leaving a little breathing room for friends to join up doesn't sound like a bad idea.

10dollas

Banned
RedRedSuit said:
Whether it's working "as intended" is not the question. The question is, is it working as it SHOULD. They way it SHOULD work is, if you didn't pick a preference of map, it should not dump you into a playlist of the same damn map (this example is based on the assumption you've picked the game type Warzone). That is not intuitive. That is not correct.

Granted, there is the problem of what to do if some people in the current game have content X, and some do not. How would you vote for it? Well, for starters, only match with people who have the same content. If that is not possible, then there's no law saying you have to keep the same players together match after match. You can just go find another room after the match is over.

Now, we know there is a workaround. So it's not the end of the world.

But thats the entire problem. There is no absolute "should be done like this" ideal situation. Every which way to design a matchmaking/lobby system has its own faults. I think its about finding the most acceptable solution given the circumstances. You can look at games, such as COD, warhawk, starcraft, etc which have outstanding mp systems. Yet these outstanding models of implementation still have their faults that are inseparable from the systems themselves and the starcraft Multiplayer system won't work for all games either. Not all games have a large enough online community to fill both the lobby system and variety filled matchmaking system.

Killzone 2 and 3 has a relatively small online community. I've encountered the same players fairly often across different KZ3 servers, something I've never experienced in COD or halo. For this reason, I understand why the current matchmaking works the way it does (I'm assuming that is why it might implemented in such a way). People are pushed by the invisible hand to enjoy their DLC fix and then rejoin the pool of DLC-less players. The community stays strong in the process without being alienated by a shrinking player base in their half of DLC-divide.

At the same time, I'm trying to think why they didn't go with a blender matchmaking system like HALO, which introduces new players at the end of each game. Only reason I can think of, is that such a matchmaking system is time intensive to develop and is unfriendly for DLC unless the DEVS force feed the DLC down your throats like they did in HALO. Many playlists required DLC. But I don't even begin to have a clue. There is too many variables involved and I'm not even going to try to pretend to know.

10dollas said:
But thats the entire problem. There is no absolute "should be done like this" ideal situation. Every which way to design a matchmaking/lobby system has its own faults. I think its about finding the most acceptable solution given the circumstances. You can look at games, such as COD, warhawk, starcraft, etc which have outstanding mp systems. Yet these outstanding models of implementation still have their faults that are inseparable from the systems themselves and the starcraft Multiplayer system won't work for all games either. Not all games have a large enough online community to fill both the lobby system and variety filled matchmaking system.

Killzone 2 and 3 has a relatively small online community. I've encountered the same players fairly often across different KZ3 servers, something I've never experienced in COD or halo. For this reason, I understand why the current matchmaking works the way it does (I'm assuming that is why it might implemented in such a way). People are pushed by the invisible hand to enjoy their DLC fix and then rejoin the pool of DLC-less players. The community stays strong in the process without being alienated by a shrinking player base in their half of DLC-divide.

At the same time, I'm trying to think why they didn't go with a blender matchmaking system like HALO, which introduces new players at the end of each game. Only reason I can think of, is that such a matchmaking system is time intensive to develop and is unfriendly for DLC unless the DEVS force feed the DLC down your throats like they did in HALO. Many playlists required DLC. But I don't even begin to have a clue. There is too many variables involved and I'm not even going to try to pretend to know.

All your points are true. I can think of no obvious way to combine "vote for the next map" with "KZ3 doesn't have a huge player count" and "people can only play on maps they all have."

That's why they should just put you (and your squad) into a random game after each match is finished without any need to keep players that don't know each other in the same match again and again. The voting thing is a formality at best anyway.

Or, as a bandaid solution, just have the game automatically search for a new match after, let's say, 3 matches on the same damn map (assuming you did not restrict yourself to that map on purpose).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who cares about my impressions of the game? Absolutely no one, but I'll go for it anyway :lol

Killzone 2 SP
Absolutely hated it, except for the parts where Visari is having a speech. Great voice actor and personality.

Killzone 2 MP
Liked it, very rare feeling in an fps

Killzone 3 SP
Absolutely loved it, every mission was varied, and the constant chance of environments was nice! Storyline was a bit meh (I missed Visaris' speech) but other than that, good stuff!

Killzone 3 MP
A fucking joke. If I wanted to play another MW clone, I'd do it.

Yoshichan said:
Killzone 3 SP

Absolutely loved it, every mission was varied, and the constant chance of environments was nice! Storyline was a bit meh (I missed Visaris' speech) but other than that, good stuff!

I enjoyed the variety, but for me it was like the developers sat around saying 'we need to keep ramming these 'epic' moments in there'. Its almost as if they had a giant whiteboard of 'WOULDN'T IT BE AWESOME IF. . .' moments that they had to cram in there.

For me, there needs to be a healthy dose of both peaks and troughs. They just crammed too many (what they thought were) peaks in there for my liking. Pacing wasn't great for me.

I just picked up the PS3/KZ3 pack the other day. Tried SP up to the part where you are clearing a road for the APC with a minigun, thought it was kind of bland.

I gave it another shot today and played for an hour or two, I'm having a blast now. The section where you run around in the walker was cool, now I'm on the jungle planet.

I never played KZ1 or 2, so I'm a little lost story wise, but it's all good.

Acrylic7

nismogrendel said:
I just picked up the PS3/KZ3 pack the other day. Tried SP up to the part where you are clearing a road for the APC with a minigun, thought it was kind of bland.

I gave it another shot today and played for an hour or two, I'm having a blast now. The section where you run around in the walker was cool, now I'm on the jungle planet.

I never played KZ1 or 2, so I'm a little lost story wise, but it's all good.
just wait till you see the ending, you might actually explode from the Advanced futuristic techniques used to create such an awesome ending.
sarkazm

Gvaz

Banned
I just got to the part where you're saving the captain's base and i'm having a great time of it. I'm really bad at fps on consoles though, so I have it on recruit.

Game owns.

the best part about playing Helghan in GW or Warzone is when you get to Bodycount and the dude says "Bodycount! Kill them all."

I fucking love the way that dude says that line.

Thrakier

Yoshichan said:
Who cares about my impressions of the game? Absolutely no one, but I'll go for it anyway :lol

Killzone 2 SP
Absolutely hated it, except for the parts where Visari is having a speech. Great voice actor and personality.

Killzone 2 MP
Liked it, very rare feeling in an fps

Killzone 3 SP

Killzone 3 MP
A fucking joke. If I wanted to play another MW clone, I'd do it.

I don't get how one can say that KZ3 is a "MW clone". I mean, really? How many hours did you play it? Maybe you should go back to MW for a few hours. The difference in look and feel AND gameplay is night and day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thrakier said:
I don't get how one can say that KZ3 is a "MW clone". I mean, really? How many hours did you play it? Maybe you should go back to MW for a few hours. The difference in look and feel AND gameplay is night and day.
I didn't play more than a few hours, which should be enough. And yes, the aiming, speed and feeling is completely the same.

Yoshichan said:
I didn't play more than a few hours, which should be enough. And yes, the aiming, speed and feeling is completely the same.
The classes, mechanics, and overall gameplay are completely different.

Thrakier

Yoshichan said:

Sorry, but imo that's BS. It's not quite as heavy as KZ2, but it's not even close to the "cam on a stick" feeling of MW. It's worlds apart. It's more in the direction of BFBC2 if anything.

Grinchy

Banned
People are probably already aware of this, but if not I thought I should point out that Amazon had a bunch of copies of KZ3 (over 200 of them) for $36.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I0K6DG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1301266144&sr=8-1&condition=used

They are in Like New condition, which for Amazon Warehouse Deals means that the game could actually be brand new. If it's not new, it will come re-sealed and in great condition. I don't typically buy used games, but AWD Like New condition is worth picking up IMO.

patsu

ZephyrFate said:
the best part about playing Helghan in GW or Warzone is when you get to Bodycount and the dude says "Bodycount! Kill them all."

Yap, I always rush off to set up a hunting ground or killzone if you will. There are a few favorite locations in each map.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yoshichan said:
In order for a game to be considered a "clone", I do believe that said game would have to clone more than one thing. Its even less of a clone when every single other thing about the game is completely different in every way possible.

And no the aiming doesnt feel the same. I dont feel like Im sliding around on ice skates in KZ3. They both have their strong points as far as aiming goes but they arent as similar as you're thinking.

So quit spewing all over the place.

CozMick

Banned
ZephyrFate said:

Ray_Winstone.jpg

Ray Winstone is a genius!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thrakier said:

It's a MW clone in the sense that you have a gun and you shoot other people. To most people these days, just about everything is a MW clone. I have to wonder if MW was their first FPS.

commish said:
It's a MW clone in the sense that you have a gun and you shoot other people. To most people these days, just about everything is a MW clone. I have to wonder if MW was their first FPS.

Pfft, COD is just a Doom clone.

mr_nothin

Banned
Thrakier said:
What he probably means is that KZ3 is ALOT closer to MW than being it's own thing. It's obvious that GG took a step back and looked at what "worked" for the top selling game and implemented what they thought lead that game to the top.
It's by no means a COD-CLONE but it is more COD-ish in a lot of ways. They tried to find a middle ground.

Thrakier

mr_nothin said:
What he probably means is that KZ3 is ALOT closer to MW than being it's own thing. It's obvious that GG took a step back and looked at what "worked" for the top selling game and implemented what they thought lead that game to the top.
It's by no means a COD-CLONE but it is more COD-ish in a lot of ways. They tried to find a middle ground.

It's more COD-ish because the controls are a bit easier, right. But it's still closer to KZ2 than to MW2 considering the overall feeling. If anything, I think they found the middleground. They were already searching for it after KZ2 (high precision mode anyone? Everyone used it!).

NameIess

Thrakier said:
It's more COD-ish because the controls are a bit easier, right. But it's still closer to KZ2 than to MW2 considering the overall feeling. If anything, I think they found the middleground. They were already searching for it after KZ2 (high precision mode anyone? Everyone used it!).

absolutely...
Anyone calling KZ3 a COD clone obviously have not really played the game, because the class system and game types create a very unique style for this game.

I'm tired of people acting like COD was the first game to implement shooting mechanics...
I even hear people on the Socom beta saying the game is a COD clone the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

Thrakier said:
It's more COD-ish because the controls are a bit easier, right.

No, it isn't the controls. It's the design of the MP, and SP that changed forKZ3. KZ2 was balanced around Warzone and completing objectives and with abilities that work as a team (assault not withstanding). KZ3 is balanced towards the individual and not a team based game. You get more points in KZ3 for being a lone wolf than working with a team, where in KZ2 it is the opposite. Also details such as point pop-ups and kill-streaks shift the game to a more COD friendly attitude. In SP there are very little sandbox firefights like Visari Snare, Salmun Bridge or the palace Arc-tower section. The game instead goes for heavily scripted (moreso than KZ2) moments and "epic set pieces." Again more like COD than the KZ2.

Massa

Dubbedinenglish said:
No, it isn't the controls. It's the design of the MP, and SP that changed forKZ3. KZ2 was balanced around Warzone and completing objectives and with abilities that work as a team (assault not withstanding). KZ3 is balanced towards the individual and not a team based game. You get more points in KZ3 for being a lone wolf than working with a team, where in KZ2 it is the opposite. Also details such as point pop-ups and kill-streaks shift the game to a more COD friendly attitude. In SP there are very little sandbox firefights like Visari Snare, Salmun Bridge or the palace Arc-tower section. The game instead goes for heavily scripted (moreso than KZ2) moments and "epic set pieces." Again more like COD than the KZ2.

Warzone is now centered around your team taking control of the map in order to be able to complete the objectives. It requires a lot more team work than KZ2, and in fact one of the biggest complaints is that a well organized team will more easily dominate compared to KZ2.

Massa said:
It requires a lot more team work than KZ2, and in fact one of the biggest complaints is that a well organized team will more easily dominate compared to KZ2.

Far from it. Taking a TSP is one class engaging in a secret game of CnH where as the rest of the team is out running around for kills. Also TSP's and their design limit teamplay as it expands the distance to and from objectives and as a basic rule the more people run around the less they will work together. Also TSPs lack and sort of notification of being capped or being camped. In KZ2 there was at least a realtime minimap with spawn camera to see where you are spawning (even though it would sometimes not show exactly). Other little things like the chatting system, open mic squads and prox-chat encouraged working with people next to you.

As far as organized teams vs randoms that is moot as the same statement is true for every single game that has a team of players. What is different in KZ3 is that the tools to work together as a team that were in KZ2 have been removed almost entirely and in KZ3 it IS nearly impossible to rally a team of randoms. Where as in KZ2 the dynamic spawn system at least got those lone wolfs in the area of objectives (and with point bonus too) to help the team effort.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dubbedinenglish said:

Killstreaks? Hardly even remotely COD-like. I'm not calling in choppers or dogs here. I don't think KZ2 was balanced around Warzone as much as it was balanced around spawn grenades, which tended to place people near objectives. I do agree that the point distribution is a little wonky - no idea why they took a big step back here.

Cornbread78

I don't get it, how can Sony sit and watch one of their biggest releases this year just die out so soon?

I mean, GG promised and update on 2/23, the day after the game launched, and now over a month later, they still have not dropped the "savior patch." It pisses me off that the core guys I played almost 400 hours with online have already moved on to the Socom Beta and other games because of the dumbed down MP of this game. The clan matches are good in concept, but they still are lagfests, and the player count match-ups still do not work correctly. No private matches, no touries no clan officers, no custom servers, etc.... WTF GG What are you doing? What are they waiting for?

Massa

Dubbedinenglish said:
Far from it. Taking a TSP is one class engaging in a secret game of CnH where as the rest of the team is out running around for kills. Also TSP's and their design limit teamplay as it expands the distance to and from objectives and as a basic rule the more people run around the less they will work together. Also TSPs lack and sort of notification of being capped or being camped. In KZ2 there was at least a realtime minimap with spawn camera to see where you are spawning (even though it would sometimes not show exactly). Other little things like the chatting system, open mic squads and prox-chat encouraged working with people next to you.

As far as organized teams vs randoms that is moot as the same statement is true for every single game that has a team of players. What is different in KZ3 is that the tools to work together as a team that were in KZ2 have been removed almost entirely and in KZ3 it IS nearly impossible to rally a team of randoms. Where as in KZ2 the dynamic spawn system at least got those lone wolfs in the area of objectives (and with point bonus too) to help the team effort.

I could not disagree more.

The TSP's not being on top of the objectives is one of the greatest things about KZ3. Teams can't just spawn on top of the objectives so your team controlling an area is the key to actually win an objective.

Controlling the map doesn't mean simply capturing a TSP. It means having a sniper covering an entrance commonly used to reach the current objective, or medics keeping people alive to plant or defuse bombs in search & destroy, or your team not falling back entirely to defend an assassination target and instead try to push the other team from even getting near your own base.

patsu

Dubbedinenglish said:

In KZ2, you need to defend the spawn grenades to prevent spawn camping. Worse if the grenade is thrown the opposite direction. In KZ3, you are not vulnerable for first few seconds after spawn. In general, camping is more rewarding in other locations with choke points. At the same time, you want people to recapture TSPs if they are determined enough.

As far as organized teams vs randoms that is moot as the same statement is true for every single game that has a team of players. What is different in KZ3 is that the tolls to work together as a team that were in KZ2 has been removed almost entirely and in KZ3 it IS nearly impossible to rally a team of randoms. Where as in KZ2 the dynamic spawn system at least got those lone wolfs in the area of objectives (and with point bonus too) to help the team effort.

Not quite true. Sometimes I hear my teammates talking throughout the entire game. It's up to people to talk.

In KZ3, the game rewards star performers, not just lone wolves. You get 10,000 - 13,000 points for being the guy who completed the most objectives, not just killing. It is easier to complete an objective with fewer or even one soldier. So the defenders have to be careful. They can't just camp and win.

patsu

Cornbread78 said:
I don't get it, how can Sony sit and watch one of their biggest releases this year just die out so soon?

I mean, GG promised and update on 2/23, the day after the game launched, and now over a month later, they still have not dropped the "savior patch." It pisses me off that the core guys I played almost 400 hours with online have already moved on to the Socom Beta and other games because of the dumbed down MP of this game. The clan matches are good in concept, but they still are lagfests, and the player count match-ups still do not work correctly. No private matches, no touries no clan officers, no custom servers, etc.... WTF GG What are you doing? What are they waiting for?

They already said they are waiting for QA.

Also I doubt the game is dumbed down if people are complaining about enemies being too powerful. It seems that people haven't figured out how to win in this game yet.

Socom targets a different crowd. I'll check it out someday, just not now.

Cornbread78

patsu said:
They already said they are waiting for QA.

Also I doubt the game is dumbed down if people are complaining about enemies being too powerful. It seems that people haven't figured out how to win in this game yet.

Socom targets a different crowd. I'll check it out someday, just not now.

The longer they wait the more crowd they lose, I wish they disclosed the network numbers on a graph to show the usage level.

and by "dumbed down I mean they took out all the additional features that were there in KZ2 and launched the game without them. Why?

Socom is a totally different crowd, but even Zipper has added modes and changed gameplay to suit the masses rather than keep to their roots. Not sure why all the Sony studios are makign such drastic changes to their formulas... We'll have to blame it on Kotick.... it has to be his fault...

commish said:
Killstreaks? Hardly even remotely COD-like. I'm not calling in choppers or dogs here. I don't think KZ2 was balanced around Warzone as much as it was balanced around spawn grenades, which tended to place people near objectives. I do agree that the point distribution is a little wonky - no idea why they took a big step back here.
The intention is, plus the act of rewarding staying alive and killing multiple people does what? It encourages camping, and benefits those who don't go for objectives. Like I was alluding to it isn't a 1:1 "This is COD" but a shift to a more COD friendly attitude.

I could not disagree more.

Controlling the map doesn't mean simply capturing a TSP. It means having a sniper covering an entrance commonly used to reach the current objective, or medics keeping people alive to plant or defuse bombs in search & destroy, or your team not falling back entirely to defend an assassination target and instead try to push the other team from even getting near your own base.

Controlling a map IS entirely around controlling a TSP, there are large section of each map not used for what reason? There are TSPs there. So only revolve around maybe 1-2 people running though that area. Plus the lower spawn time makes taking an area where people are spawning with invincibility more difficult. Even more so when there is marker for other team mates to get involved. IN KZ2 setting up a flanking point and forward point were essential.

Also spawn grenades were another form to be able to communicate and encourage your team to get involved. Like mentioned previously setting up a defense around a target and having people spawn there got the message across to get to that area because that is where the action is. In KZ3 there is no marker leading to people running around getting into 1v1 confrontations rather than a team effort.

In KZ2, you need to defend the spawn grenades to prevent spawn camping. Worse if the grenade is thrown the opposite direction. In KZ3, you are not vulnerable for first few seconds after spawn. In general, camping is more rewarding in other locations with choke points. At the same time, you want people to recapture TSPs if they are determined enough.

Not quite true. Sometimes I hear my teammates talking throughout the entire game. It's up to people to talk.

In KZ3, the game rewards star performers, not just lone wolves. You get 10,000 - 13,000 points for being the guy who completed the most objectives, not just killing. It is easier to complete an objective with fewer or even one soldier. So the defenders have to be careful. They can't just camp and win.

True in KZ2 there was a meta game of territory control with spawn grenades and that is why most abilities were defensive in nature, assault not withstanding, a good spawn had an airbot (pre-buff) or mines, or an engie bot to defend. Personally I called out to all my teamates that everyone who spawns secure the area till next person comes through. You took ground and captured it, that was the dynamic ebb and flow of spawn grenades. In KZ3 one person takes the TSP and that is it. TSP changeovers are far more difficult than overrunning a spawn, and after the TSP falls there is no retreat point or alternative spawn. You are stuck in your base and that is the end of the match.

Am I saying the the KZ2 spawn grenade system was perfect? No. Actually it needed tweaking and there are plenty of fantastic suggestions in this thread already. The difference though is a tweaked dynamic spawn system would work infinitely better than the TSP system in place.

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:
Well one thing is for certain, their community management has been horrendous for this game.

I disagree. (I should look to make Firefox add this as standard text in my replies in this thread :p).

We got a long list of planned changes soon after the beta, then we get detailed patch notes ahead of release as well as the target date before they come out. They also post about server downtime in advance and explain exactly what they're fixing in these downtime periods.

jett said:
Just watched the ending on youtube(along through most of the game). What the hell? :lol Horrible conclusion.

You can't be serious.

Dibbz

Cornbread78 said:
and by "dumbed down I mean they took out all the additional features that were there in KZ2 and launched the game without them. Why?
It's already been stated like 1 million times that it's not as simple as copy and pasting features from KZ2 over to KZ3. Everything had to be rewritten and they didn't have enough time to get all of those features into KZ3.

Top Bottom