• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

kevm3

The game is more like battlefield when it comes to the feel and damage model if anything. It's not nearly as easy to take out a group, especially if they are facing you as in it is in Call of Duty. I think it's a Godsend this isn't Killzone 2. Boat controls and the need to unload a clip in someone would make this awful. The ammo they give you is sparse as is. Making the health increase would only make melee and shotgun even more powerful than they already are, since I assume they will still be one shot kill.

The most vocal about this game seem to be fans of Killzone 2, and to me that's a great thing since I hated Killzone 2, but loved what I played of this beta.

Could someone with the retail game please comment on the frequency and location of TSPs on all maps?

I'm especially eager to hear about Turbine Concourse and Corinth Highway; on both maps in the private beta there were far too few spawn locations, and it made them basically unplayable. Are the TSPs on Turbine Concourse still way up high on the sides of the massive generator?

10dollas

Banned
So I've read and watched a bunch reviews of the move and sharpshooter, in the quest to decide, should I purchase Killzone 3 + Move + sharpshooter. Unfortunately, even amongst the more thorough hands on experiences (Bloodmarion's video), I am still not getting a good sense on if Move and/or sharpshooter is worth it.

I was wondering if you, TTP (or any others for that matter) could speak on how much it enhances the control feeling overall. Most reviews give this mixed feedback, saying that Move doesn't seem to be the next step of progress in terms of intuitive controls, but still it does have some advantages over the DS3. I'm wondering if Move is more than just a new fun way to play Shooters and if it feels more intuitive in control than the DS3?

Its a bit hard to put into words what I am asking for, but I guess the best way is: can you see Move being the dominate way to play shooters in the future, or is it nothing more than a fun accessory. My purchase of Kz3 rests on my purchase on Move.

Also, opinions over the same of the above except concerning the sharpshooter instead would be much appreciated.

Thrakier

TTP said:
I've played all the maps and not a single one holds the frame rate. I'm almost constantly playing at about 25/20fps. Goddamit.

It's a pity. I think it's mind boggling stupid. Really GG, what did you think when you were sacrificing the framerate? How can you stay competitive with a low FPS?

highrider

Banned
First post! Snow in Washington D.C. means i can take a few hours before work and play the first few levels. I'm encouraged by the impressions i'm reading in regards to the sp and replayability.

Facism

tiddles said:
good to see you've really given the levels a thorough playtest before committing your considered thoughts to the internet :)

considering the triforce of turds Frozen Dam, Turbine and Corinth Highway, i find this comment to be laughable.

Next game get the mp devs to concentrate on the gameplay rather than throwing away the FPS on the eye-candy.

-Amon-

TTP said:
I've played all the maps and not a single one holds the frame rate. I'm almost constantly playing at about 25/20fps. Goddamit.

By your experience, frame rate wise, how does it compares with the last online beta ?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Internet Celebrity said:
Could someone with the retail game please comment on the frequency and location of TSPs on all maps?

I'm especially eager to hear about Turbine Concourse and Corinth Highway; on both maps in the private beta there were far too few spawn locations, and it made them basically unplayable. Are the TSPs on Turbine Concourse still way up high on the sides of the massive generator?

Corinth Highway was pretty terrible imo. The TSPs seemed to be pretty damn difficult for my side to capture back. Without the TSPs, it was impossible to win. Pretty sure I was the only tact going for them tho.

I only played a handful of maps, but so far, I just wish they were a little tighter. Still enjoying myself, though, despite the map that has a TSP right outside our spawn. Wasn't too fun getting nades throw into our spawn and getting killed as soon as I run out. My team was terrible though. Again, no one else playing tact to get the TSPs.

X-Frame

Why does everyone who barely played KZ2 believe one needs to unload an entire clip into someone to get a kill?

It took like 4 bullets.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
-Amon- said:
By your experience, frame rate wise, how does it compares with the last online beta ?

It's about the same I'd say. Some maps are worse than that. Blizzard is one of them.

I can understand why they toned down the motion blur now. Was it as severe as in KZ2, with this frame rate the screen would look like this most of the time.

uKs5m.jpg

I'm super disappointed by the engine performance online and I don't think I'm gonna play this for a significant amount of time. Just some matches with fellow gaffers and that's it.

I wish there was a flat-shaded polygons mode at higher frame rate. I'd gladly play it like that.

Facism

yeh they should have reduced the graphical quality or removed some graphic-features here and there to maintain a solid 30fps.

shit they should be using dedicated servers too, but i realise this is 2011, not 1991.

just got done with a 6 hour mp session and i gotta say i'm extremely impressed by the map diversity and how they flow.

i was a little worried with the small number of warzone maps but after playing them all i think they are much better overall than kz2's maps. the only exception being my kz2 favorite salamun market which is complete garbage now. the map is wayyyyy too cluttered now and all the great shoot outs under the bridge are gone thanks to their being blown up tanks everywhere. also the exos completely change the game flow to the point of everyone steering clear of the center of the map. dont even get me started on the new objective placement which is probably the worst ive ever seen.

ranting aside the mp has run much better for me than the betas in terms of lag and framerate. now to get some sp time in!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
10dollas said:
So I've read and watched a bunch reviews of the move and sharpshooter, in the quest to decide, should I purchase Killzone 3 + Move + sharpshooter. Unfortunately, even amongst the more thorough hands on experiences (Bloodmarion's video), I am still not getting a good sense on if Move and/or sharpshooter is worth it.

I was wondering if you, TTP (or any others for that matter) could speak on how much it enhances the control feeling overall. Most reviews give this mixed feedback, saying that Move doesn't seem to be the next step of progress in terms of intuitive controls, but still it does have some advantages over the DS3. I'm wondering if Move is more than just a new fun way to play Shooters and if it feels more intuitive in control than the DS3?

Its a bit hard to put into words what I am asking for, but I guess the best way is: can you see Move being the dominate way to play shooters in the future, or is it nothing more than a fun accessory. My purchase of Kz3 rests on my purchase on Move.

Also, opinions over the same of the above except concerning the sharpshooter instead would be much appreciated.

Not sure if you have seen my video about online MP but here it goes again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF0yZCmpNo

As for your question, Move is definitely NOT a fun accessory. It's fun for sure but also greatly effective, but not rightaway. It is NOT intuitive. You need to adjust to it in fact. You won't be bringing down ppl from the get go. No. You need to get used to the way the camera works and to how to take advantage of the free nature of the cursor. But once u get past the learning phase there is no turning back.

I personally think this is the way to go forward. Fixed cross hair or not it makes more sense to me.

X-Frame said:
Why does everyone who barely played KZ2 believe one needs to unload an entire clip into someone to get a kill?

It took like 4 bullets.
4 bullets to the body, or one to the head. 6 bullets to the body for an assault. I always lol at people who say otherwise, because they clearly couldn't aim very well.

Internet Celebrity said:
Are the TSPs on Turbine Concourse still way up high on the sides of the massive generator?
They put an extra TSP in the generator room where you have the switch for turbine, its bang in centre of both SnD objectives. There was a video which showed updated map.

Not sure about Highway map, can anyone confirm if they put an additional TSP there, and if/how they fixed the mech spawn camping?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thrakier said:
It's a pity. I think it's mind boggling stupid. Really GG, what did you think when you were sacrificing the framerate? How can you stay competitive with a low FPS?
Shades of their earliest work. Killzone 1 featured one of the lowest framerates in a retail PS2 game. So slow and choppy all the time.

TTP said:
Not sure if you have seen my video about online MP but here it goes again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF0yZCmpNo

As for your question, Move is definitely NOT a fun accessory. It's fun for sure but also greatly effective, but not rightaway. It is NOT intuitive. You need to adjust to it in fact. You won't be bringing down ppl from the get go. No. You need to get used to the way the camera works and to how to take advantage of the free nature of the cursor. But once u get past the learning phase there is no turning back.

I personally think this is the way to go forward. Fixed cross hair or not it makes more sense to me.

Whats your settings for using the Move? I've tried to experiment with the different elements, but I've not found anything that really clicks for me yet.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Vinterbird said:
Whats your settings for using the Move? I've tried to experiment with the different elements, but I've not found anything that really clicks for me yet.

none
hold
hold

But these are mine and depend on playing style and distance from the screen. I think u need to find yours.

Perhaps you just need to practice a little bit more with the default settings before fiddling with them. I say play for 30 minutes and then start adjusting. First the cursor sensitivity: is it speedy enough? How's rotation going? Too slow? Pump it up. etc (Bare in mind cursor sensitivity affects camera control as it basically makes it faster or slower to exit the deadzone).

Be sure you are comfortable with the hand rested on your lap.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The frame rate is being overplayed around here, as usual. If you think 25-20 fps is bad then never play games again. Here we have some who play stuff like Metro 2033 and Crysis on PC at similar frame rates and love it.

It must be said again, the graphics are a notch above everything and are right up there with the best on PC. They certainly did clean up the gun play in my opinion.

And to the ones complaining about the blizzard, come on now. I feel bad for you but go out and have a shootout in a blizzard, it's not sun and roses.

10dollas said:

Look, I'm a massive skeptic when it comes to motion control and whatnot, but after sinking around 5-6 hours into the SP demo alone, tweaking the settings and basically just galavanting around the environment, I've concluded that Move is definitely a worthy substitute of the DS3 for such a game; it may even usurp the DS3's throne.

I think a good way of summing up Move is that it may not provide as much complacency/comfort in your actions (it may just do so with time, however), but it allows you to do things that you simply cannot do with the same efficacy if you were to use the DS3, e.g. flicking the reticule in one motion to anything ANYWHERE on the screen, super-quick 180 degree turns, etc.

Don't kid yourself, though: it takes time. You think you've got it, then you tinker and realise that you didn't have it at all. My settings that I was "happy" with have undergone drastic overhauls a number of times. I think it's worth it purely as a challenge and an interesting, new and of course, FUN way to play a great game.

I guess the obvious disclaimer here, however, is that I'm yet to use the Move competitively, i.e. yet to get completely pwnd and condemn it for eternity :)

TTP said:
none
hold
hold

But these are mine and depend on playing style and distance from the screen. I think u need to find yours.

Perhaps you just need to practice a little bit more with the default settings before fiddling with them. I say play for 30 minutes and then start adjusting. First the cursor sensitivity: is it speedy enough? How's rotation going? Too slow? Pump it up. etc (Bare in mind cursor sensitivity affects camera control as it basically makes it faster or slower to exit the deadzone).

Be sure you are comfortable with the hand rested on your lap.

Thanks, I just needed an jumping off point, since I kept adjusting and readjusting for the last week or so, and I never got comfortable with any of the setups I made.

Vinterbird said:

Mine are:

None
Hold
Hold

Obviously quite different to TTP's. I sit on level with a 32" LED, about 1.5-2m away. I remember that some hours of experience before now, my deadzone settings were a good 30% higher than they currently are. With practice, I've become far better at just "twitching" the camera rather than making it spaz out, as well as snap-turning, straightening up after melee, etc.

I'm sure they'll change the more I play.

Perseverance is the key!

Thrakier

LiquidMetal14 said:
The frame rate is being overplayed around here, as usual. If you think 25-20 fps is bad then never play games again. Here we have some who play stuff like Metro 2033 and Crysis on PC at similar frame rates and love it.

It must be said again, the graphics are a notch above everything and are right up there with the best on PC. They certainly did clean up the gun play in my opinion.

And to the ones complaining about the blizzard, come on now. I feel bad for you but go out and have a shootout in a blizzard, it's not sun and roses.

No, it's not. Framerate is a key performance indicator for a good competitve online experience.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
mickcenary said:
Look, I'm a massive skeptic when it comes to motion control and whatnot, but after sinking around 5-6 hours into the SP demo alone, tweaking the settings and basically just galavanting around the environment, I've concluded that Move is definitely a worthy substitute of the DS3 for such a game; it may even usurp the DS3's throne.

I think a good way of summing up Move is that it may not provide as much complacency/comfort in your actions (it may just do so with time, however), but it allows you to do things that you simply cannot do with the same efficacy if you were to use the DS3, e.g. flicking the reticule in one motion to anything ANYWHERE on the screen, super-quick 180 degree turns, etc.

Don't kid yourself, though: it takes time. You think you've got it, then you tinker and realise that you didn't have it at all. My settings that I was "happy" with have undergone drastic overhauls a number of times. I think it's worth it purely as a challenge and an interesting, new and of course, FUN way to play a great game.

I guess the obvious disclaimer here, however, is that I'm yet to use the Move competitively, i.e. yet to get completely pwnd and condemn it for eternity :)

There's a huge difference between SP and MP. It's not aiming, but movement that makes it harder in MP.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wish i had the moneyz to get KZ3.

Ah i remember the KZ2 troll war.. those were the times.
* Hugs KZ GAF *

Sad to hear about the framerate issue.
Anyway : Mad props to GG and i really hope it does well for you guys.

commish said:
There's a huge difference between SP and MP. It's not aiming, but movement that makes it harder in MP.

Agreed, 100%. I do believe that I'm a decent enough player (judging from my beta experience) to adapt and make the Move work competitively for me, though... Well, here's hoping to that, anyway.

All I'm saying is that it can be done. I feel that I've got it to a point where I can traipse through SP as effectively and as (if not more) satisfyingly with the Move as I'd be able to with the DS3. Obviously, MP's a whole new ballgame. I'm confident it can be done.

Dibbz

Decarb said:
They put an extra TSP in the generator room where you have the switch for turbine, its bang in centre of both SnD objectives. There was a video which showed updated map.

Not sure about Highway map, can anyone confirm if they put an additional TSP there, and if/how they fixed the mech spawn camping?
The map didn't need another TSP. It needed a way to get to the other 2 TSP's without a jetpack. Did they add any walkways up to them?

Tence said:
This.

And why do us Dutchies have to wait so fucking long? Guerilla is betraying its roots. Arrogant Amsterdam fuckers :p
020 fuckers :p (dutch rotterdam joke, no harm)

friday, friday, friday.
I just read a review where they basicly gave Killzone 3 a 7 because they didn't stay true to Killzone but shifted too much towards CoD. Do people who are playing the game now agree with this?

Dibbz said:
The map didn't need another TSP. It needed a way to get to the other 2 TSP's without a jetpack. Did they add any walkways up to them?
Nope, you still need jetpacks for at least one jump. And I'm truly dumbfounded to know that this is the only map out of 10 that has jetpacks, what a waste...

NameIess

I'm finishing my Killzone 2 play through while I'm waiting on my Killzone 3 shipment to arrive from Amazon. The story from Killzone 2 is actually better than I remembered and I see why everyone hates Rico. I am really looking forward to the SP campaign.

Az

Having to share my ps3 with my MW2 playing brother in law sucks. Will hopefully get some time to pick this up this week and play for a bit.

Thrakier said:
No, it's not. Framerate is a key performance indicator for a good competitve online experience.

Didn't stop people from liking KZ2 MP. That game had similar framerates throughout MP any time there was action going. KZ2 in MP rarely kept a consistent 30fps

mr_nothin

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Didn't stop people from liking KZ2 MP. That game had similar framerates throughout MP any time there was action going.
No...
KZ3's framerate = KZ2's framerate when you had 32 players going full out assault on Radac Academy. KZ2's framerate was a ton more consistent and stable.

mr_nothin said:
No...
KZ3's framerate = KZ2's framerate when you had 32 players going full out assault on Radac Academy. KZ2's framerate was a ton more consistent and stable.

32, 24, 16, it didn't matter, once shit started flying the framerate tanked in KZ2. Rose tinted goggles indeed.

Perhaps it was just the excessive blur filtering going on that completely blinded some people since that really masked how bad the framerate was in KZ2

-Amon-

LiquidMetal14 said:

It's different from person to person you know. As you say some don't have problems with low framerate, others suffer a lot from it.

fuzzyreactor said:
just because its realistic, doesn't mean it's fun.

Neither is getting a line of sight on some idiot, putting half a clip in him just for him to turn around and somehow kill you. I hate bullet sponges and I dislike players that complain about having to use tactics in a fucking shooter.

Top Bottom