• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.VIII Final Chapter Prologue Trailer

N-Forced

Neo Member
What exactly is this supposed to be? A remaster of KH2 with extras? A prequel to KH3? A port of another game? After reading the thread on reddit about this I’ve never been so confused about a gaming franchise ever.

What exactly is this supposed to be? A remaster of KH2 with extras? A prequel to KH3? A brand new game? After reading the thread on reddit about this I’ve never been so confused about a gaming franchise ever.

the 3DS game, a movie of the mobile/browser game and a demo of KH3

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Such a lust for comparisons

The+Who.jpg

MegaPanda

What exactly is this supposed to be? A remaster of KH2 with extras? A prequel to KH3? A brand new game? After reading the thread on reddit about this I’ve never been so confused about a gaming franchise ever.

- Dream Drop Distance HD remake (first released on 3DS, also the latest in the series)
- The story of the new mobile game being presented as HD cutscenes
- What looks to be a remake of the Birth By Sleep secret episode in the KH3 engine

All 3 together are meant to be a prologue/primer for KH3

- Dream Drop Distance HD remake (first released on 3DS, also the latest in the series)
- The story of the new mobile game being presented as HD cutscenes
- What looks to be a remake of the Birth By Sleep secret episode in the KH3 engine

All 3 together are meant to be a prologue/primer for KH3

It's not a remake, it's a sequel to BBS. It was in the final secret ending of BBS FM and was planned for the PSP at some point. It was called Kingdom Hearts 0.5: Birth By Sleep Volume 2.

It may be connected, but I don't think anything it's introduces is getting resolved in KH3. Wasn't it meant to be a conclusion of the Xehanort story (so BBS-DDD)? I like to think I'm keeping up with KH's story but when I saw this part from the trailer it really seems like they're opening up a hole for future storylines.

IIRC, the whole thing Chi has going on with the apprentices and the book of prophecies has some connection with
Xehanort's keyblade and where (or whom) ever he got it from.

There was an extra cutscene in 2.5 regarding Maleficient musing about the book too, so it'll probably play some role in III.

Heh.

Not yet.

So it's just 1.5 and 2.5 and then 2.8? That will get me covered? No need for the handheld games (which I believe included in the HD collection but not all). I'm sorry I went dark on this series for me not to get spoiled.

Those will get you 100% up to date on the series. The handheld games are included in the collections (each collection has 2 games and 1 movie that sums up another game).

arumisan

Looking forward to seeing more as development progresses. Geez though, I know it's basically symbolic for the series at this point, but that instrumental Hikari is getting a little old now. I really hope Utada Hikaru records some new stuff for III.

I hope so! Thematically it makes sense! KHI had Simple and Clean/Hikari, KHII had Sanctuary/Passion so it make sense that the third main entry had a new main theme.

MegaPanda

It's not a remake, it's a sequel to BBS. It was in the final secret ending of BBS FM and was planned for the PSP at some point. It was called Kingdom Hearts 0.5: Birth By Sleep Volume 2.

Huh really? I could've sword the first BBS secret episode was also titled A Fragmentary Passage. I guess I should expect this kind of naming from Squeenix though.

IIRC, the whole thing Chi has going on with the apprentices and the book of prophecies has some connection with
Xehanort's keyblade and where (or whom) ever he got it from.

There was an extra cutscene in 2.5 regarding Maleficient musing about the book too, so it'll probably play some role in III.

Ack I was hoping they'd finish KH3 cleanly with
saving the trio and then have some chi-blade shenanigans
and be done with it. Oh well, I'll wait and see what they decided to do

Ack I was hoping they'd finish KH3 cleanly with
saving the trio and then have some chi-blade shenanigans
and be done with it. Oh well, I'll wait and see what they decided to do

They probably will. Nomura said that this is the last part of the Xehanort saga, so even if they do something that leads into more games, it will probably be just so they can keep Sora as the protagonist, I doubt they'll have anything of importance happen outside of the main story...
They probably want to market future KH games as disconnected from the first saga.

Tagg9

I don't know why, but "now in development" always kills me at the end of a Square trailer. As if theyre afraid that "coming soon" implies an impending release date.

What exactly is this supposed to be? A remaster of KH2 with extras? A prequel to KH3? A port of another game? After reading the thread on reddit about this I’ve never been so confused about a gaming franchise ever.

whats confusing about the trailer tells u exactly whats in the package lol

whats confusing about the trailer tells u exactly whats in the package lol

To be fair, it can clarify it for people not in the loop with the remasters and such.

I never played DDD, so this has a lot of allure but....

1. Up until DDD the story, if you followed it (nowhere near as hard as people make it out to be), was setting up quite nicely - it added layers of complexity on a simple premise (which KH1 was) without going too overboard - like, sure, the whole idenitity thing is a bit weird but it makes sense and you get it. BBS still remains the best in the series for showing that potential. Sadly, DDDs story screwed over the momentum completely.

2. I am pissed off at KHX. I actually remember Nomura saying at one point that it is NOT, I repeat, NOT canon and is not needed. Now it's not only canon but seems to show some "ancient history" stuff
Keyblade War era
that would be a hell of a lot more interesting to find about in a main title? I am baffled.

If they can manage to make the story comprehensible to people not into the series as much, I will applaud the literary genius and give him a Nobel in literature myself.

inner-G

Banned
I'm in.

Tried DDD on my OG 3DS XL when it came out, and the amount of action combined with me mashing buttons had it constantly popping in and out of 3D. It was really annoying

Tailer

Will most definitely be getting this always wanted to play a KH game but never got the chance so this will be my first.

Sciortino

Will most definitely be getting this always wanted to play a KH game but never got the chance so this will be my first.
Before jumping into this collection, I highly suggest you at least watch Birth by Sleep, KH1 and KH2 on youtube if you don't want to buy the previous collections lol..

Nose Master

Any information on the length of the Aqua epilogue? Or if it'll be KH3 tier visually, outside of that (I'm assuming) pre-rendered cutscene? That's all that is legitimately interesting in this package. DDD was poop. FLOWMOTION

I don't think I would recommend that simply on the account that you will be lost to no end.
I mean, if the PS4 is the only way you can go, then sure, fine. You'll probably like the gameplay but literally everything else will be out of context.

If I had to recommend you play just a single KH game to get an idea of what the series is gameplay, storyline and atmosphere-wise - go either with KH2 or BBS. Don't worry about not knowing the story to KH1 as you can very easily pick up what's happening in KH2 and BBS is a prequel anyway. Also, KH1 is by far the simplest and aged game in the series (not counting some portables) which may turn you off at first, as it did many people.

Any information on the length of the Aqua epilogue? Or if it'll be KH3 tier visually, outside of that (I'm assuming) pre-rendered cutscene? That's all that is legitimately interesting in this package. DDD was poop. FLOWMOTION

Only thing we know is that it will be a ''short episode''. It will most certainly be made with KH3 assets, I don't think that is prerendered.

Before jumping into this collection, I highly suggest you at least watch Birth by Sleep, KH1 and KH2 on youtube if you don't want to buy the previous collections lol..

Thankfully DDD unlocks full summaries of the previous games at moments that reference them so people could just read those in-game as opposed to watching hours of cutscenes online.

Lgndryhr

Excited for this but kind of sad the ps3 HD collections aren't announced for the ps4. Also, can I just get all of the HD collections and get the whole story? I only played KH 1 and never finished KH 2. Have a few of the handheld titles but it is easier for me to play on a console.

People need to stop suggesting playing KH1 to catch up. People need to start suggesting playing KH1 because it's a fuckin gem if there ever was one :3

Tailer

Yeah watched the 1st and 2nd quite some time ago, understand the basics vaguely. But unfortunately completely lost the interest of ever purchasing the older games unless they make a complete overhaul of it.

Jigorath

Banned
I still can't believe Square is trying to charge 60 bucks for an HD port of a (mediocre) 3DS game and a prologue for KH3. So dumb. I want to play Aqua's scenario... but not for sixty bucks. Bargain bins here I come.

Excited for this but kind of sad the ps3 HD collections aren't announced for the ps4. Also, can I just get all of the HD collections and get the whole story? I only played KH 1 and never finished KH 2. Have a few of the handheld titles but it is easier for me to play on a console.

Yes. They cover everything.

I assume this will release sometime in 2016? If they aren't going to port 2.5 to PS4, I should open up my PS3 copy and play it at some point.

Tabris

Slightly off topic but my biggest hope for KH3 is a party AI that can dodge.

Party members are always completely useless (and often get in the way) in later boss fights, especially secret bosses, because they don't dodge and a lot of those bosses are like 2-3 hit KO types.

EDIT - I also want other key blade wielders as party members in certain worlds or maybe even play as them for a while. Outside the obvious of Riku, DDD spoilers -
Like Lea, Kairi, Aqua, Roxas / Ven,
and KING MICKEY. We should have a world where we play as King Mickey.

Tabris

I'm most excited about 0.2.

I don't know what the story will be. The following questions were left open via the "A Fragmentary Passage" video at the end of the Secret Episode.

What happens to Ven in the Chamber of Waking. Does he wake up after Roxas is returned to Sora or does his heart still live in Sora during KH2 and KH:DDD and won't be returned until KH3?

It showed the Castle of Dreams in the realm of darkness. I assume Malefecient is related to this. What does Aqua do here?

What happens with Aqua. Does she escape the realm of darkness?

Was the meeting with Ansem the Wise before or after A Fragmentary Passage? If Aqua escapes the realm of darkness

Nose Master

People need to stop suggesting playing KH1 to catch up. People need to start suggesting playing KH1 because it's a fuckin gem if there ever was one :3

KH1 is the worst KH by a longshot. Gameplay is unrefined, worlds are cubes that make you backtrack through the same three rooms over and over again, etc. Replaying it recently and remembering that 99% of the progression gating is tied to entering/exiting a specific door made me salty as hell. It's really poorly designed.

The plot is arguably better than the wonderfully convoluted mess that it gets into after that, but that's it.

Tabris

The command system of KH:BbS is the best in the series.

I never played DDD yet and I heard the flow control or whatever it is, is great. Does it have the same command system from KH:BbS?

iosefe

The command system of KH:BbS is the best in the series.

I never played DDD yet and I heard the flow control or whatever it is, is great. Does it have the same command system from KH:BbS?

more or less. it has a command deck and scroll, but the way you go about getting abilities is different

This makes me wonder about those AR card exclusive Dream Eaters what were OP as hell. how would you obtain them in DDDHD?

Top Bottom