• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.VIII Final Chapter Prologue Trailer

Eblo

No kingdom hearts games have ever run at 60fps, ever.

Chain of Memories did.

Also, this could be nothing, but Amazon sent me an email about KH3 that reads, "The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher." The date was changed to January 2, 2017. I'm not too familiar with how Amazon operates, but it looks like KH3 will probably be a 2017 release like many people anticipated.

Chain of Memories did.

Also, this could be nothing, but Amazon sent me an email about KH3 that reads, "The release date for the video game listed below has been changed by the publisher." The date was changed to January 2, 2017. I'm not too familiar with how Amazon operates, but it looks like KH3 will probably be a 2017 release like many people anticipated.

The amazon date is not legit. It would arrival date for the game if it's placeholder date, 31st of December 2016, was not a placeholder.

Biggest problem of KH lore is the same thing that MGS suffers from, everything has to be connected to past games and characters because of reasons. It makes the world of these games much less interesting and makes it feel like the main characters live in a bubble.

Chain of Memories was the last game that introduced new original characters that (at the time) felt weren't forced to have these ridicilous character arks that need to have a connection to characters in KH1. Namine for example I feel was way more interesting and better character in the original CoM before they revealed her connection to the old characters. She would have been much cooler just being a witch with some mystery to her, everything doesn't need to be explained. Remember when ''the superior'' was this mysterious being that made organization members shit their pants before he was revealed to be a boring rehash of the first villain because of reasons (Xemnas is by far the worst big villain in KH). Remember when Axel was a psycho?

The lore is still a guilty pleasure of mine and I don't mind the ridicilous elements one bit. I just feel like it could be so much better. I don't mind overarching story elements but when it creates a web of connections like this it just diludes everything down.
Honestly, the biggest issue isn't the connections. That I can deal with, and if it means a better payoff to the long arc, then I'm all for it. The big problem is HOW those connections are made. And then how you, as a player, are supposed to uncover those connections. Most of which involve encountering secret bosses, and in order to stand even a remote chance against those, you have to grind. And fuck grinding in any of these games, save for KH2, but only because it's far more bearable in that one. Lingering Sentiment in KH2 and the Unknown in BbS are examples of this.

A lot of it is also Nomura (and whomever else is writing this) believing that he (they) is (are) so deep and philosophical. Bogging everything down in repetitive word usage which is constructed in weird, convoluted ways. Ultimately it always boils down to "Light is good, dark is bad. But not always. Sometimes nothingness is bad, but then it becomes light. Or dark. We don't fucking know. But light can erase dark if it isn't swallowed by the dark nothingness within all of our hearts."

For me it's always been more of the "how" than the "what" when it comes to this series. But then again, I play these games for the gameplay and not the story, so there is that.

Honestly, the biggest issue isn't the connections. That I can deal with, and if it means a better payoff to the long arc, then I'm all for it. The big problem is HOW those connections are made. And then how you, as a player, are supposed to uncover those connections. Most of which involve encountering secret bosses, and in order to stand even a remote chance against those, you have to grind. And fuck grinding in any of these games, save for KH2, but only because it's far more bearable in that one. Lingering Sentiment in KH2 and the Unknown in BbS are examples of this.
Huh? Almost All of the secret bosses are basically easter eggs that only serve to tease future characters. Like Lingering Sentiment, for example. There's no plot tied to Sora meeting him.

You wouldn't understand who Terra is or how he's linked to the overall plot because you beat Lingering Sentiment in KH2:FM.

You would understand who Lingering Sentiment is if you play BBS.

Pachimari

They way they've been describing it sounds Ground Zeroes style prologue, mostly likely featuring a taste of what KH3 will be like.

So we are not actually getting Birth by Sleep itself?
Or was it in one of the prior HD collections?

[edit]
Oh wait, it's already in 2.5 which I don't have yet. So we're getting Dream Drop Distance, a prologue and cinemas.

raven777

EFduseC.jpg

This feels like CG rather than in-engine for some reason... the edges are too clean...

Zaverious

Wait, Kingdom hearts 2.8?

So i should not play 2.5 and just wait for this?

No 2.8 only has Dream Drop Distance which is a port of the 3DS game set after KH2, Kingdom Hearts Chi cinematics, and a prologue for KH3 set right after Birth by Sleep. Get 2.5 to play Birth by Sleep and KH2.

No 2.8 only has Dream Drop Distance which is a port of the 3DS game set after KH2, Kingdom Hearts Chi cinematics, and a prologue for KH3 set right after Birth by Sleep. Get 2.5 to play Birth by Sleep and KH2.

I still wouldn't put it past SE to not release some mega KH2.9 FINAL ULTIMATE-PRELUDE CHAPTER collection.

Wait, Kingdom hearts 2.8?

So i should not play 2.5 and just wait for this?

The best way to treat the numbers is to treat them sequentially piece-by-piece.

KH 1.5 Remix includes KH 1 and 0.5's worth of post-KH1 content in the form of CoM and 358/2 Days.

KH 2.5 Remix includes KH 2 and 0.5's worth of post-KH2 content in the form of BbS and re:coded.

KH 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue is 0.3's worth of post 2.5 story content with Dream Drop Distance, Back Cover & BbS 0.2

Disclaimer : The numberings don't imply amount of content, but simply where it's at in terms of story positioning.

"But wouldn't that be KH4.04 since it has KH2, then BBS which is as good as KH2, then Coded movie which is like 0.04?"

That's why I have my disclaimer there. Bigger numbers don't imply amount of content. A 0.2 could easily be as long as a full number. :p

there are some info from magazine

regarding how long the 0.2 bbs Aqua stuff

more info here: http://gematsu.com/2015/09/kingdom-hearts-0-2-uses-kingdom-hearts-iii-technology

Hmm, I wonder if it's a BBS world (30mins), or a KH2 world(90-120mins) =P

Technically if you count BBS with each character, as the worlds in that game didn't re-use many maps in between characters, that could make it 90-ish minutes too.

I guess 1-2hours would be a good estimate.

If the content is as good, that would make for a good demo.

Lnds500

This is their 2016 KH title. We might get it in 2017 if KH3 is delayed to 2018.

I see 0 reason for Square to withhold the ReMixes from the PS4 (unless there are really problems with the digital release). Greater exposure, future-proofing and a great way to have everything on one console.

It's disappointing to see how many people want to get into the series and are still holding out for the PS4 version

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Kingdom Hearts II.8

Unreal. That is a real title of a video game. Oh well if you're still playing this series you probably aren't bothered at all by its insanity...

Top Bottom