• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

MYE

Finished the main quest in Skyrim and currently waiting for Dawnguard on PS3

Is this game worth 16€ on PS3?

Toki767

I'm at the very last boss fight, but I'm out of potions. Level 22 also and playing on Hard. I need a list of places that sell potions so I can just go and hoard as much as possible before going in lol

Grisby

I hate to bump this, with so little to offer. I beat the game a few weeks back and ended up having a pretty good time. After a while I was only doing the house quests and the mainline but it was well worth the money I paid.

The DLC is currently DOTW at $5 a piece on XBLA. Are they worth it? My main deal is are there any issues with them? Major bugs?

Ricker

I hate to bump this, with so little to offer. I beat the game a few weeks back and ended up having a pretty good time. After a while I was only doing the house quests and the mainline but it was well worth the money I paid.

The DLC is currently DOTW at $5 a piece on XBLA. Are they worth it? My main deal is are there any issues with them? Major bugs?

None when I played them and yes they are worth it,great DLC's at full price.

EDIT: some people had a bug with the pirate DLC,but it didn't happen to me,not sure if it's fixed.

Ourobolus

Banned
I just made it to the second area, and is there any way to tell what time it is? I want to sleep for a few hours to make it dark, but I have no goddamn idea what time it actually is!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So haven't touched this game since after release. Was waiting for Curt to get the damn patch out to fix shit, and then.. well we know what happened. It's a shame since this game was god damned fun. Put it in today and I'm gonna try and finish it up. Was 24 hours in, only 16 in the first area, so I know I still have tons of content to go.

Anyone else still in the world of Amalur?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So haven't touched this game since after release. Was waiting for Curt to get the damn patch out to fix shit, and then.. well we know what happened. It's a shame since this game was god damned fun. Put it in today and I'm gonna try and finish it up. Was 24 hours in, only 16 in the first area, so I know I still have tons of content to go.

Anyone else still in the world of Amalur?

I started re-playing it this week. I stopped before after a few hours for unrelated reasons.

I am only about 8 hours in still around the start and got a house! I think I am going daggers/longsword in a might/finesse blend.

I do have to ask, is crafting worth it in the game? Or will found loot always be better?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I started re-playing it this week. I stopped before after a few hours for unrelated reasons.

I am only about 8 hours in still around the start and got a house! I think I am going daggers/longsword in a might/finesse blend.

I do have to ask, is crafting worth it in the game? Or will found loot always be better?

Crafting is insanely worth it in this game, from what I remember at least. Looking at my char now, I had almost maxed blacksmithing and some pretty crazy gems/stats on my crafted bow.

Biased much? The only review up in the first page is also the only review that actually fully praised the game. tsc tsc tsc

So, is this game Fable done right, or is it just the univentive "i'ss okay" everyone says it is?

Also, best version? PC PS3 or 360? (I assume the pc version supports gamepad)

I'm an expert

I don't think there's any bias at all, people know this game was above average. The op just didn'get updated much. Jeff from GB actually liked this game a fair bit as well. It's a very enjoyable game with some very obvious mistakes. I've never played Fable, but I'd say this game is Skyrim done right. That is, it's a giant world with typical quests but the combat works - something Skyrim lacks. Unfortunately, with the company done, there will be no patch to fix the rampant issues.

The PC game most def looks the best but the PS3 version (and I'm assuming 360) are just fine..the PS3 version is actually surprisingly smooth and beautiful. If anything it has audio dropouts/hiccups, but graphically is great.

I'm an expert

Combat is godlike in this game. Easily the best part and why it makes Skyrim look like shit. No idea about it on pc though, which is what I'm assuming you're playing on.

itf56

I don't have enough privileges to start a new thread, but can anyone recommend me something similar to Amalur on 360/PS3/Wii-U? IE an RPG that's closer to the action nature of Amalur than, say, Skyrim?

spwolf

i am bumping this to ask if it is worth $40 over PSN? I usually dont play RPGs, at all, but i tried this over + trial and loved it. Seems steep though on PSN for non-all-inclusive version?

glaurung

i am bumping this to ask if it is worth $40 over PSN? I usually dont play RPGs, at all, but i tried this over + trial and loved it. Seems steep though on PSN for non-all-inclusive version?
Definitely too much. Scout around the shops and you should find this for a very low price indeed.

PSN prices are retarded for the most part. Luckily we also have PS+.

spwolf

Definitely too much. Scout around the shops and you should find this for a very low price indeed.

PSN prices are retarded for the most part. Luckily we also have PS+.

i live in eastern europe and its either $40 for PSN or $30 for used copy (new in store is $80 at best :p)

i am mostly concerned that i will be bored by it soon since I dont play RPG usually.. but that timed trial really did tickle my fancy.

ZZMitch

This is so strange but I am really looking forward to replaying this game (haven't had the chance to do the DLC yet) once I get through my backlog. I have not been this excited about replaying a game in a long time, but this game was really special in my opinion!

Thinking about going mostly rouge with maybe some chakrum stuff thrown in, but we will see.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Has it been discussed how they managed to make the game look so great, detailed yet clean without shimmering and shit all over even when running at relatively low resolution? 720p in my case, with all settings on the highest allowed for me (does shaders complexity go beyond Standard for people with DX11?) except the shadows, I set that on High (there are two higher settings) and maintain 75 fps the vast majority of the time. Of course, no additional tweaks like supersampling either.

Is there something special about its rendering or what?

Anyway, I really like this, it's hardly unique and ground breaking but it's very solid all around. Combat beats the shit out of pretty much every other third person RPG of this sort, like Elder Scrolls, Risen and the like, the graphics look great and are very consistent without eye sores popping up randomly all over the place (the only real flaw I can say visually is the LOD pop-in but it's hardly the only game with it), production values are great with everything having decent voice overs, side quests can also be involving like main quests at times with multiple parts. I'm impressed after expecting something like Two Worlds II as a best case scenario (which I enjoyed while it lasted but it's inferior). I hope they will manage to reform for a successor.

I guess it's a little too action oriented, not a thinking man's CRPG, and the world often reminds of an MMORPG setup with the cities, hubs, some open plains, etc., but it's so beautiful and the combat so good that I enjoy exploring and encountering new enemies, there are many great sights to see (and of course loot to get) and I love areas that change elevation and twist and turn allowing you to look at where you were initially from high up (and occasionally jump down).

Some screens of the last couple hours of gameplay, I didn't think to take any previously so these are hardly the best areas (never mind that most of you probably run it at way better settings than my lowly PC, but still).

i3qDQxaxNfELz.bmp
ibjqfM9cmxpdNJ.bmp
izEK6L2NiXCit.bmp
ibxBpL5orzM08E.bmp
i3fsF7FzUbUxB.bmp
iox1zQgo6wxp.bmp
iULLcT1Oz9Lcj.bmp
ifIJAY31dRx2t.bmp
iIXQu3zthUq88.bmp
iStP6GZKrIGud.bmp
ibhSBrxtxLzZ3I.bmp
imlrfbl2aLKgw.bmp
iDUDmc54HiXzx.bmp
idXySRJDlU3wd.bmp
inQA3p5I0WeJ9.bmp
ib1PqWFgbzDTc7.bmp
ibgaH28y2yrdiN.bmp
ivoOunuu2qgj7.bmp

To me this is the biggest closure of this gen that bothers me. This and vigil. So much potential. New IPs that had some issues but were fun as fuck.

I'm an expert

Not getting a patch to fix gems will always sour this game for me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not getting a patch to fix gems will always sour this game for me.

I finished the game recently and I think it is excellent although I think I ended up being way overpowered towards the end. Soon I will do the two DLC areas, but I hope they are appropriately difficult.

There were a number of issues I wish were fixed but overall it was a very good game, with good varied combat I wish was present in more games. And overall fewer bugs than some comparable games with studios still alive.

What was wrong with gems? I thought they were weak overall, and socket pieces hard and unpredictable to find.

I'm an expert

I finished the game recently and I think it is excellent although I think I ended up being way overpowered towards the end. Soon I will do the two DLC areas, but I hope they are appropriately difficult.

There were a number of issues I wish were fixed but overall it was a very good game, with good varied combat I wish was present in more games. And overall fewer bugs than some comparable games with studios still alive.

What was wrong with gems? I thought they were weak overall, and socket pieces hard and unpredictable to find.

Some don't work, like hp absorb on bows. You don't even need that shit, hp regen gems will break the game 10 hours in. But it sucked not even having the ability to customize. I actually really enjoyed the game, but it was very unpolished. And way too many quests.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Some don't work, like hp absorb on bows. You don't even need that shit, hp regen gems will break the game 10 hours in. But it sucked not even having the ability to customize. I actually really enjoyed the game, but it was very unpolished. And way too many quests.

Ah. I ended up not really bothering with gems at all. Or even sets of armor and instead used random pieces. The abilities and potions made me overpowered from about halfway in.

shaowebb

This thread bump just made me feel depressed :(

Me too. We used to play and PM each other mid game on Steam. Even watched the prelaunch stream for prizes and info. Hell I put in for an internship before they died too. Place was a dream factory that turned into a nightmare near the end for Schilling.

Sad waste too, because the place had potential.

Has it been discussed how they managed to make the game look so great, detailed yet clean without shimmering and shit all over even when running at relatively low resolution? 720p in my case, with all settings on the highest allowed for me (does shaders complexity go beyond Standard for people with DX11?) except the shadows, I set that on High (there are two higher settings) and maintain 75 fps the vast majority of the time. Of course, no additional tweaks like supersampling either.

Is there something special about its rendering or what?

Anyway, I really like this, it's hardly unique and ground breaking but it's very solid all around. Combat beats the shit out of pretty much every other third person RPG of this sort, like Elder Scrolls, Risen and the like, the graphics look great and are very consistent without eye sores popping up randomly all over the place (the only real flaw I can say visually is the LOD pop-in but it's hardly the only game with it), production values are great with everything having decent voice overs, side quests can also be involving like main quests at times with multiple parts. I'm impressed after expecting something like Two Worlds II as a best case scenario (which I enjoyed while it lasted but it's inferior). I hope they will manage to reform for a successor.

I guess it's a little too action oriented, not a thinking man's CRPG, and the world often reminds of an MMORPG setup with the cities, hubs, some open plains, etc., but it's so beautiful and the combat so good that I enjoy exploring and encountering new enemies, there are many great sights to see (and of course loot to get) and I love areas that change elevation and twist and turn allowing you to look at where you were initially from high up (and occasionally jump down).

Some screens of the last couple hours of gameplay, I didn't think to take any previously so these are hardly the best areas (never mind that most of you probably run it at way better settings than my lowly PC, but still).

Totally missed this bump.

I dunno, the bloom kinda bugged me the whole way through honestly. Technically though, I was generally impressed with the game.

I found the combat fun, but oddly shallow for something with so many options. It felt less satisfying as it progressed not more, though I suppose in part because of how much you began to overpower enemies. It was a fun little romp with lots to do and see for sure, and the balance of gameplay and lore was just right for my taste. The MMO style backtracking quests though really funked up the pacing.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Just bought this off PSN for $20.

Any recommendations on skills to play with, can you experiment and respec? I like magic-melee hybrids, like Paladin types.

stn

They haven't taken the DLC down or are planning to, right? I'd like to purchase the expansion that was released.

coopolon

Just bought this off PSN for $20.

Any recommendations on skills to play with, can you experiment and respec? I like magic-melee hybrids, like Paladin types.

You can respec as many times as you want, it just costs a little bit more each time (the price also goes up with level).

It stays affordable for plenty long enough for you to experiment. The game is not very hard (even on the highest difficulties) so pretty much any combination is viable.

Yanksfan

DLCs have not been removed. I just purchased the game and both DLCs from PSN very recently.

I am only an hour or so into the game, but holy shit, there is a ton of content. I feel like I have 80 quests already, have all these skill trees and a billion places to go and I just escaped
The Well of the Souls, aka the tutorial section
a few minutes ago.

I'm an expert

DLCs have not been removed. I just purchased the game and both DLCs from PSN very recently.

I am only an hour or so into the game, but holy shit, there is a ton of content. I feel like I have 80 quests already, have all these skill trees and a billion places to go and I just escaped
The Well of the Souls, aka the tutorial section
a few minutes ago.

Yeah it's both the upside and downside. In the beginning you're like oh shit all this freedom to spec how I want, go where I want, do the story or not, and then about 20 hours in you realize all that freedom essentially showed you everything the game has to offer. That and the enemies now barely put a dent in your hp.

Yanksfan

Yea, I was afraid of that (and after reading the last few pages of this thread). The game is pretty easy already (now a few hours into the game) and I am playing on Hard from the start. Sounds like it is going to get a whole lot worse in this regard. Still, I am enjoying much of the other aspects of the game. And at least it is more difficult than Fable I guess. :/

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Not really sure where to post this:

Kingdoms of Amalur Complete - $7.99 at Gamefly (Origin) - use code GFDMAY15 for an additional 15% off ($6.79)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Legend of Dead Kel
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Teeth of Naros

Got this off PS Plus, pretty fun so far. What was meant to be patched before the developers went under?

EDIT:

“I wanted to apologize for the lack of a patch for Reckoning. It’s something we very much wanted to do, but various issues outside our control (which unfortunately I’m not at liberty to disclose) prevented us from doing so for a long time. Finally we received clearance to do a PC-only patch, which wasn’t ideal (we wanted to do a patch on all platforms) but it was better than nothing. So we commenced working on that – working on everything from miscellaneous bug fixes to Joe Q’s addition of new camera features to Dakota’s addition of two new difficulty modes. But before we finished, the company collapsed. Now, barring some sort of miracle, it is highly unlikely that any patch for Reckoning will ever see the light of day.”

Found this. New camera features sounds interesting. Wonder if there might be some kind of unofficial patch from the former developers sometime in the future.

Not really sure where to post this:

Kingdoms of Amalur Complete - $7.99 at Gamefly (Origin) - use code GFDMAY15 for an additional 15% off ($6.79)
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Legend of Dead Kel
  • Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Teeth of Naros

I ended up getting this, as the demo was awesome. Too bad I lost a lot of interest in this game knowing that there wont be any continuation of it. :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Got this off PS Plus, pretty fun so far. What was meant to be patched before the developers went under?

EDIT:

Found this. New camera features sounds interesting. Wonder if there might be some kind of unofficial patch from the former developers sometime in the future.

If nothing has come this far, its unlikely anything ever will. Its sad, it was a good game that needed a few fixes to be great.

Sooo has anyone gotten this for free off of US PS+ yet? I'm definitely gonna try it out, but I'm not sure it will keep my interest for very long.

Top Bottom