• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Had no idea they were working on patches for only the PC version. I'll never re-purchase this game. I feel bad for the people out of work, but the way they treated the console version of this game and its users was shoddy from the start. Starting with not properly testing the game, and then making us feel like a patch was coming (so please please please buy our DLC) when they knew for a fact it wasn't. I hope Joe Q ends up somewhere good, because I'd like to play another game that he designs the combat for. All the other aspects of the game, though, were pretty damn lackluster.

coopolon

In my continuing efforts to patch this game for myself I've found directions to using a hex editor to up your inventory space.

Since I know nothing about hex editors I just used the example he gave to up it to 1000, if you understand what any of it means though you can probably figure out how to use a more reasonable #. He warns upping the inventory will up your save file size though.

Obviously not as good as increasing stash size, but it's better than nothing.

Hela

I'm about 15 hours in, at level 16 and I wonder when should I do both of the DLCs. I heard that Naros gives some of the best gear in the game and I wouldn't like to be overpowered for the rest of the adventure having done Naros. Any suggestions?

coopolon

I'm about 15 hours in, at level 16 and I wonder when should I do both of the DLCs. I heard that Naros gives some of the best gear in the game and I wouldn't like to be overpowered for the rest of the adventure having done Naros. Any suggestions?

I've read that the Naros gear scales to when you get it. So if you get it now it will be appropriate for level 16, if you get it later it will be appropriate for level 40. But once you get it it is fixed.

Haven't played yet it so can't give you advice, I'm planning on waiting until 30 or so.

harrytang

this really is a fun game. love the music and fighting. stopped playing when my character was only level 9, waiting for the patch, but now i've decided it's time to finish this game. i do recommend for anyone looking for a good loot, rpg game. playing with xbox controller on bootcamp pc too!

Solidino

it's a wonderfull game, u can see it seems like an MMO but for single player, a litle bit repetetive in many aspects of gameplay, a sort of Oblivion meets World of Warcraft ^^

almost 40 hours of gameplay, half map discover and without DLC's

This is my game for boring summer videoludic-time, waiting for Dark Souls. XD

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's such a shame that a promising series from a promising company is done for.

I really enjoyed Amalur, and I'm currently still playing through it right now. I really liked the visuals, and the combat, and the world seemed really interesting. I was looking forward to it maybe one day getting some co-op, and me being able to play it with my wife.

Well, I did my part by supporting the game and buying it day one. It's just a bummer when that's not enough.

Solidino

Hmm, I hit check for update on Origin and I got it too. Wonder what it was.

LOL i figured out now, it's the cinematic intro, 38 studios logo.

I renamed the file to skip intro, so Origin has re-download the "missing" file.

EDIT: In the subfolder ENGLISH of Reckoning main folder, there are already DLC intro movies. (bik format)

Is this proof they have been cut off from the game and sold aside?

Quite a bummer that the patch never seen the light of day. The difficulty is what made me stop playing this game. It got a point where it became boring due to how easy it was. And I didn't feel like intentionally nerfing myself just to make the game difficult.

harrytang

people complain about difficult as a reason why they are turned off from this game, and then Curt released some stats saying most people playing on normal or easy.

i'm playing on hard, level 13, and i die constantly against large groups of enemies, or orange level enemies like rock trolls. i die so much that im always having to save so i dont lose progress.

the combat is frustrating and rewarding. im always using new weapons and trying new tactics. i think sometimes the enemies can be a little cheap and rapidly attack without being able to get shield in place, but all the more rewarding when i finally beat a large group.

the game missions are repetitive and stale, but i play for the environments and loot.

people complain about difficult as a reason why they are turned off from this game, and then Curt released some stats saying most people playing on normal or easy.

i'm playing on hard, level 13, and i die constantly against large groups of enemies, or orange level enemies like rock trolls. i die so much that im always having to save so i dont lose progress.

the combat is frustrating and rewarding. im always using new weapons and trying new tactics. i think sometimes the enemies can be a little cheap and rapidly attack without being able to get shield in place, but all the more rewarding when i finally beat a large group.

the game missions are repetitive and stale, but i play for the environments and loot.

Most, not all. I played on Hard and rarely died. The combat is quite fun but when it's too easy it becomes pointless.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I did both DLC's post vanilla game. The gear scales to your level, so I would start at 40 if you want to ensure the best. Still, by that point it matters little. The game is so goddamn easy, it really makes so little difference.

The DLC is quite good though. Surprisingly beefy with lots of new assets, quests, and locations to explore. You will also gain an absurd amount of new twists of fate perks, which also makes the game even easier.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I played on hard through the entire game and both DLC's, and almost never died.

The problem is not really so much about loot or equipment balance(I never crafted and wore a level 6 set most of the game for the look), but the sheer number of permanent buffs(twists of fate) and the ease at which you are able to completely counter any enemy attack patterns which makes the game so easy. Enemy mages for instance, never use any threatening spells throughout the game(nothing along the likes you the player can use). My rogue can devastate with a bow and traps, but enemy rogues just shoot piddly single arrows that are easily dodged or blocked, only performing the same basic three-hit dagger combo up close. In fact, most enemies never vary their patterns at all. Only against large groups of varied foes, which happens rarely, did I ever come close to death. By then though, that even stopped mattering given all of the lorestone buffs, story and faction buffs, that made my character godlike.

Yeah, you're nearing the part where the game breaks.

ZZMitch

Yeah, you're nearing the part where the game breaks.

Eh, I never felt the game was broken when I was playing. But maybe that is because I never crafted my own armor. I don't see the point of crafting armor in loot RPGs, so I never make armor. I enjoy finding my own.

Eh, I never felt the game was broken when I was playing. But maybe that is because I never crafted my own armor. I don't see the point of crafting armor in loot RPGs, so I never make armor. I enjoy finding my own.

I didn't craft armor. I merely put two gems in. And it broke the friggin game. I still can't believe they didnt test that. Or that they did test it and decided that "Nawww it's cool, no one will use the crafting system anyway. Ship it!"

Grisby

Playing it now and am about 4 hours in. Fun times. I can't drop items right? And where do I store my shit? Also, I'm playing on hard but XP seems difficult to come by, leveling is slow as shit.

Is choice a big part of the game? Was thinking of upping my persuasion skill first. Also, do I ever get any more magic spells? Had this lightning deal for a while.

Astra

Playing it now and am about 4 hours in. Fun times. I can't drop items right? And where do I store my shit? Also, I'm playing on hard but XP seems difficult to come by, leveling is slow as shit.

Is choice a big part of the game? Was thinking of upping my persuasion skill first. Also, do I ever get any more magic spells? Had this lightning deal for a while.

You can't drop items on the ground to be picked up later, but you can destroy them. I believe you go into items, and send them to junk. Then go to junk and choose to destroy the item(s).

You get a house a little bit into the game that has storage. All storage is connected, and has a 150 item limit... Yeah...

Choice isn't a big part of the game at all. Doesn't matter what you do, really. Piss people off to your heart's content. Persuasion can be useful in getting more gold, and items out of people, and to create "shortcuts" to ending a quest a bit more easily.

Yeah, you learn new magic spells when you level up. You have to put points into the Sorcery ability tree. Take a look through it and see which you'd like. I think it tells you how many points you have to put into Sorcery to unlock any given spell.

shiroryu

Really sad that Big Huge got shuttered...this is a fun RPG. Not that good in the story department, but the combat is fun and Ken Rolston's worlds continue to excel.

I loved the whole fairytale, colorful ambience this game has; a good contrast to the dark/realistic look from Skyrim, Dark Souls etc.

Grisby

You can't drop items on the ground to be picked up later, but you can destroy them. I believe you go into items, and send them to junk. Then go to junk and choose to destroy the item(s).

You get a house a little bit into the game that has storage. All storage is connected, and has a 150 item limit... Yeah...

Choice isn't a big part of the game at all. Doesn't matter what you do, really. Piss people off to your heart's content. Persuasion can be useful in getting more gold, and items out of people, and to create "shortcuts" to ending a quest a bit more easily.

Yeah, you learn new magic spells when you level up. You have to put points into the Sorcery ability tree. Take a look through it and see which you'd like. I think it tells you how many points you have to put into Sorcery to unlock any given spell.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm digging the game. But like I said leveling seems slow but I'm only 4 hrs in.

Astra

Thanks. Yeah, I'm digging the game. But like I said leveling seems slow but I'm only 4 hrs in.

I also found leveling to be pretty slow. I have seen plenty of others complain it was too fast.
My method of playing was to do everything in each area (quests, lorestones, chests, etc) before moving on. Likely why leveling seemed slow for me.

Audίoboxer;39177942 said:
How is the PS3 version? Completely playable?

Toss up between this and Dragons Dogma for me.

Plays great on the PS3. I haven't experienced a single freeze, or game breaking bug. Only bugs I've noticed were a couple inventory bugs, where I couldn't drop, or store one armor set.

The toss up between this and Dragon's Dogma is a tough one. I loved both games.
On the one hand, Amalur has more content (though it gets repetitive), better environment variety, and some could argue KoA is the better looking game.

Dragon's Dogma has the better (imo) battle system (though both are great, Amalur just suffers from the insanely easy difficulty), better enemies and enemy variety. Not quite as much content, but it has better pacing and doesn't suffer from repetitiveness quite like KoA does. DD's vocations are much better (again, imo) than KoA's classes.

Both games have a less than stellar narrative, and DD's is a little more sparse, which works in its favor, I think. I burnt out on KoA before even reaching the end, and I didn't burn out on DD until well into the NG+. I feel there is so much more to experiment with when playing DD, than there is with KoA.

Definitely can't go wrong with either game, though.

if it were a toss up for me, I'd go with Dragon's Dogma.

Grisby

Bout 20 hrs in. On last House of Ballads quest. Haven't touched the main quest line.

Game feels like a WOW offshoot that has an offline only mode. I'm enjoying it.

Audίoboxer;39177942 said:
How is the PS3 version? Completely playable?

Toss up between this and Dragons Dogma for me.

Completely playable on PS3, and looks great, but I and many others have noticed an audio lag issue. It's something to do with the disc streaming data I believe. Animations don't always synch with their audio, like jumping into a pool of water and the splash coming 1 or 2 seconds later. It'd be great if it somehow got a digital release on PSN (would fix the streaming issue), but that's already asking way too much at this point.

Poor 38 and BHG. Shilling and EA really pissed me off.

Finaika

So...many...quests.

image.php

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I'm enjoying this! Even though i'm not a big fan of fantasy. About 20-30 hours in and I still haven't touched the main-quest. The loot is getting better too, wich makes the whole experience more fun. About to finish the first House Of Ballads Quest, just gotta run back there.

Some seriously awesome weapons growing in that tree.
And tree's.
In the tree.
With big Fae statues and they are creeping me out, big time :/

Combat is fun, although I would have liked a bit more depth. Dungeons so far have been real pretty, wich makes exploring all the more fun. It feels like a open Fable with a tad more RPGyness. And that's fine with me. Overall atmosphere is delicious.

Too bad the writing feels way off at times, and the voice-acting is just so-so.

krae_man

So...many...quests.

My thoughts as well.

Is there any way to make inventory less restrictive? I know you can buy backpacks but I've only found 1 that adds 10 so far. I hate having to go back to town every 20 minutes. Armor and weapons don't even take most of it. The crafting items take up crap tons of space. The Gems, the books etc. I don't want to get rid of that stuff because I might use it but at the same time I hate only having 20 empty slots in my inventory max.

coopolon

My thoughts as well.

Is there any way to make inventory less restrictive? I know you can buy backpacks but I've only found 1 that adds 10 so far. I hate having to go back to town every 20 minutes. Armor and weapons don't even take most of it. The crafting items take up crap tons of space. The Gems, the books etc. I don't want to get rid of that stuff because I might use it but at the same time I hate only having 20 empty slots in my inventory max.

If you are on PC you can use a hex editor. I set my inventory at 1000.

AkuMifune

Banned
this game is $10 next week in best buy, seriously thinking of getting it...

I picked it up last week for that price and just started playing last night. I like it?

So far it's pretty and the combat is really fun, but that generally seems agreed upon. The issues people seem to have with it is simply getting bored of it after a while. Still, I can't stop OCD picking up and doing quests. Though I have nothing else to play for a while so what the hell.

Melee/finesse dps seems to be the most fun atm.

How much of the game is made up of these generic forest areas? I hate them so much.. the pop in, the oversaturated colours, the overuse of bloom, the restrictive paths. The world map shows a lot of forests but i'm hoping they look different, maybe more dark and moody.

gate777

Just bought this for PS3 (new). Any issues with this version? The only update was 15MB for a game that's about 5 months old.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You know what I hated about this game? The fact that they punished you for doing juggles and being creative. It was faster to just kill mashing attack. I came up with so many awesome combos with all the spells and weapons. But things just died 5x faster mashing attack

How much of the game is made up of these generic forest areas? I hate them so much.. the pop in, the oversaturated colours, the overuse of bloom, the restrictive paths. The world map shows a lot of forests but i'm hoping they look different, maybe more dark and moody.
If you are playing on pc you could use the FXAA injector thingy

should i play this on normal or hard because i remember podcasts saying the game was too easy and i hate easy games.
Hard if you've ever played an an action RPG before, and I say this as somebody who almost never plays games on harder difficulties unless its a replay. There are significant spikes in difficulty in some boss battles though, but that seems to be as it should.

Q8D3vil

Hard if you've ever played an an action RPG before, and I say this as somebody who almost never plays games on harder difficulties unless its a replay. There are significant spikes in difficulty in some boss battles though, but that seems to be as it should.
thnx, hard it is.

Labadal

I'm about to start this up and was wondering if there are any useless skills?

Thinking of playing Finesse/Mage. Will I be able to handle myself well in melee combat?

coopolon

I'm about to start this up and was wondering if there are any useless skills?

Thinking of playing Finesse/Mage. Will I be able to handle myself well in melee combat?

You'll be fine. Chakrams are the best weapon in the game. It's also incredibly easy to respec, so if you find any skills you don't like, it is trivial to respec and lose them.

Labadal

Ok, thanks.
Been using a staff I found that does ok damage. I've been trying out all kinds of weapons to see wich ones are the most fun to use. I also found a bow that has come in handy a few times.

Top Bottom