• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Hobbun

Anyone, how is the game compared to the demo ( Technically)

If it’s the same demo that has always been up, the game, in performance, is superior to the demo in just about every way. I had issues with slowdown, artifacting and other technical aspects in only the demo. So don’t base how the demo performs compared the game, the game is leaps and bound better.

Helscream

Banned
Man that was freaking hilarious. Just wrapped up the quest "Enemies in High Places". Funny as hell finishing off
Templar Octienne by grabbing his small legs smashing him into the ground them knocking him through the stained glass with a giant mace. Probably the best finisher I have seen yet.

Yes, start on hard. If it's too difficult you can always go back to normal. If it's not you can't get the gold trophy for hard on the first play through (I believe) if you start on normal.

As for skills, I played first as a mage (sorcery). Getting the meteor shower unlocked and using it was awesome, even if it is overpowered. Sorcery is probably the easiest to play with, however I had the most fun with the sorcery skills over finesse. They are really bad ass and I didn't mind feeling like a god in Amalur TBH... I have yet to try might much so can't comment on it.

Picked it up yesterday. I know you can respec at any time, but what are the best skills to work on first. Also should I start on hard?

From what I can tell, if you want to be unstoppable and game breaking just pick one class and dump all your points into that, and if you want to be somewhat challenged, go for a dual class or jack of all trades build.

Thanks for the advice. What's the weapon of choice for the sorcery path the chakrams look like a good choice.
I'd say Chakrams are too fun to pass up on. They look, sound and animate so damn well.

Thats why I chose Finesse/Sorcery - it has the two coolest looking weapons: Chakrams and Fae Blades. Min/Maxing style points I guess.

I'd also recommend Hard difficulty, but expect to have certain bosses beat the unholy crap out of you just when you're feeling a tad too confident. Its almost unfair how quickly your seeming invincibility can come crashing down.

I restarted on hard as a magic type with chakrams as my main and the game does seem to be more difficult the stupid wolves at the beginning are now mauling me.

deadlast

Is the demo still available on Steam or do I have to use Origin?

I'm still trying to decide if I should get this on xbox or pc. Also Amazon has the game for 40 bucks

Is the demo still available on Steam or do I have to use Origin?

I'm still trying to decide if I should get this on xbox or pc. Also Amazon has the game for 40 bucks

Not sure about the demo, but you can get it for $20 if you do the Target trade in thing going on right now.

Thanks for the advice. What's the weapon of choice for the sorcery path the chakrams look like a good choice.

The Chakrams are full of awesome. I used one of three fire/ice/lightning staffs as well.

Also @ the wolves: dodge like crazy and use a talisman. If you hit the block just right (at the point right before they leap) with a talisman you get a parry that stuns them for a second or two.

ReaperXL7

Game seems super fun so far, yet this thread is dead

I think it's dead because most were waiting on a patch that might never come based on some recent Curt posts on their offical forums (EA being pricks). I personally am eating some Crow because I got pissed off for the exclusion of trophies on the PS3 DLC, but apprently thats been fixed.

I'm looking forward to seeing who 38 got for the MMO and the Reckoning sequel because while I understand that EA helped them alot, there have been many times were you can tell in his posts that Curt was unhappy with some EA dealings. I love the game, and the studio I just hope they can branch out on their own because they don't deserve to be shackeld to a publisher like EA.

Does the DLC take place after the game ends or does it take place during the storyline?

You can do them during or after the main storyline.

When will I get out of that fucking forest? I want to get deeper in this game but I'm feeling like I'm just wasting time.

If you want to see the world quicker, you should hold off on doing every sidequest you see, cause there are tons of them and you'll spend hours in one area doing them all.

When will I get better armor than the Shepard set I've got now? I'm level 9 and still have it equipped. Finesse/Might build.

I haven't really done the main quest - just Faction quests and stuff. And if I dump points into Blacksmithing I still make crappy/basic stuff.

We're now about 3 months since launch and no patch. I give up. The game is getting traded in to Amazon. I have my game pass code still if someone buying it used would like it.

Gvaz

Banned
What are you guys waiting on a patch for?

Works fine for me on PC.

Though to be honest, don't bother waiting for patches for EA games, they like to gut the companies soon after release or push them into other things immediately.

What are you guys waiting on a patch for?

Works fine for me on PC.

Though to be honest, don't bother waiting for patches for EA games, they like to gut the companies soon after release or push them into other things immediately.

I have two game breaking bugs that don't just affect the save they originated on, but every other save for that character as well. They also were going to patch the camera, which is too close, and the incredibly broken difficulty balancing associated with crafting.

Nista

Yeah I'd really like an increase to the stash, but I fear how slow it would make the game load.

I'm still waiting for EA to fix the reave sound bug in ME3, they are so slow to release patches.

I'm about 18 hours into this game. I can't remember what level I am. The limit in what you can carry (70) is fucking annoying. I feel like I'm filling that thing up all the time. When I send something to junk, why can't it just, I don't know, turn it into gold right on the spot or something, instead of me hauling the damn thing around and have it taking up space.

Anyway, I feel like I'm done with it. It's fun for the most part, but I'm not drawn into the story. The camera is still buggy to me. I'm fighting something, it comes barreling at me, I roll out of the way, then it's behind me and hitting me and I have to keep rolling until the camera catches up or move the camera around. So while I'm having fun, I'm also frustrated a bit at it.

I just
found Hughes in some cave where assassins tried to kill us
. Can someone tell me whether the story has some great pick up after this that should keep me going?

I just
. Can someone tell me whether the story has some great pick up after this that should keep me going?

Let's just say that story and character development isnt the game's strong suit. Combat is, which is why so many of us bailed once we realized how broken difficulty balancing was.

Gvaz

Banned
The game loads lightning quick on the PC, but yeah I don't even bother saving uniques anymore because I'm still only at 90 inventory when it should be like 500 easily, and the stash is 155.

On pc you can hexedit this into something better but consoles have no such luck.

vaelic

Banned
I have two game breaking bugs that don't just affect the save they originated on, but every other save for that character as well. They also were going to patch the camera, which is too close, and the incredibly broken difficulty balancing associated with crafting.

/this

Stage On

It's too bad the Dlc dosn't raise the level cap. I've already beat the man game and I just don't feel interested in going back to it if I can't level up anymore.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game but I'm starting to get a sense that it's just too easy even on the Hard setting. I'm currently only level 10-12 (cannot recall exactly) and I'm not having any sort of trouble with any of the enemies thus far. I did have trouble at one point but that was because I had no health potions and was left with half my health prior to a sizable monster battle.

I'm about to start the main storyline quest
"An Old Friend"
. I'm somewhat hesitant to do more side quests because I don't want to get over leveled and breeze through the main quests.

Is this as hard as the game gets does it get more difficult?

Atruvius

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game but I'm starting to get a sense that it's just too easy even on the Hard setting. I'm currently only level 10-12 (cannot recall exactly) and I'm not having any sort of trouble with any of the enemies thus far. I did have trouble at one point but that was because I had no health potions and was left with half my health prior to a sizable monster battle.

I'm about to start the main storyline quest
"An Old Friend"
. I'm somewhat hesitant to do more side quests because I don't want to get over leveled and breeze through the main quests.

Is this as hard as the game gets does it get more difficult?

Won't be getting harder. The game will get easier the further you play because of better skills and loot which you can craft into apparels and weapons. The game will get piss easy if you craft items so I suggest against it if you want any kind of challenge.

Quest dungeons also scale to your leve.

I read on the Reckoning forum that a patch is planned, but whatever they release first will not fix the difficulty. Not sure why they're putting that off since it's the main reason so many people quit and traded in the game.

I'm about 18 hours into this game. I can't remember what level I am. The limit in what you can carry (70) is fucking annoying. I feel like I'm filling that thing up all the time. When I send something to junk, why can't it just, I don't know, turn it into gold right on the spot or something, instead of me hauling the damn thing around and have it taking up space.

Anyway, I feel like I'm done with it. It's fun for the most part, but I'm not drawn into the story. The camera is still buggy to me. I'm fighting something, it comes barreling at me, I roll out of the way, then it's behind me and hitting me and I have to keep rolling until the camera catches up or move the camera around. So while I'm having fun, I'm also frustrated a bit at it.

I just

There are additional backpacks that can be purchased. In the end I think you can carry upwards of 120 items.

Won't be getting harder. The game will get easier the further you play because of better skills and loot which you can craft into apparels and weapons. The game will get piss easy if you craft items so I suggest against it if you want any kind of challenge.

Quest dungeons also scale to your leve.

Well now, that's a bit of a bummer.

ReaperXL7

I read on the Reckoning forum that a patch is planned, but whatever they release first will not fix the difficulty. Not sure why they're putting that off since it's the main reason so many people quit and traded in the game.

It's because of EA, from what I understand EA only contracted them do some DLC outside of the main game. So any further patching is completely on 38's shoulders, or them trying to get EA to foot the bill for the patching.

Basically EA, being EA. I'm sure EA does not like that a "Patch" would be free, and this patch would add content (super hard mode) that they would not make money on.

No worries though because Curt already said that the MMO, and Reckonings Sequel will be published by someone else.

Effect

Has there been any talk about the PC version being modded to increase the difficulty or would that just be to hard or just not worth the time?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started playing this again myself and am about to quit. My third cycle of doing this since release.

Level 14, doing quest after quest, and outside of caves, every goddamn area I visited is filled to the brink with grey enemies. This is on Hard mode, never crafting a thing, and only using upgraded equipment on the field. My stats page shows that I have only ever used Fateshift 7 times in the entire game so far, as I purposefully avoid using it due to its game-breaking nature.

Sigh...still just cannot believe the team put hundreds of hours into playthrough runs and never considered how broken their balancing was. I want to love this game so much, but fuck.

Troll

Banned
I just started the game this morning, so far I like it.

What are the main complaints GAF has? I noticed the difficulty and camera being the main gripes on here.

What are the main complaints GAF has? I noticed the difficulty and camera being the main gripes on here.

Being about 10 hours in so far I don't have many complaints. I'm enjoying it, but the difficulty is definitely a blight on an other wise great game.

ReaperXL7

The main complaint is that due to the amount of content in the game you easily outlevel areas pretty quickly, and the game becomes quite easy because of this, crafting also does not help the situation, because it is somewhat broken due to the fact that with the right mats you can become invulnerable.

I stayed away from crafting, and only stuck with using the equipment I picked up off enemies and I think that helps abit, but there balance issues in the game have hurt alot of peoples perception of the game, which is sad, but understandable.

This is still one of my favorite games this year though so far. Really looking forward to their next announcements, and seeing what they are doing with the Amalur MMO.

Top Bottom