• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You realize how petty you sound right?

Oh noes, there's no tropies. The company is lieing to us, the game is shite, the world is ending. Zomg, no trophies in my DLC? DLC is totally worthless!

Quit bitching. While the game has faults, no trophies in your DLC (i.e. optional content) on one console doesn't degrade the enjoyment you've already had with the game.

Are you angry or something for people expressing their feelings and opinions on a forum for discussion? It's ok, calm down. Take a deep breath. Who are you to tell me what I do or don't enjoy and what degrades my enjoyment? My definition of fun isn't your's, big surprise there. Here's another one that might blow your mind - people have different opinions than you. I know, you can thank me later for bestowing that wisdom on you.

I'm a customer who spent their money on a product, and if I don't like it I will voice my concerns. You on the other hand are..who? A forum troll who can't do anything but attempt to belittle other's thoughts because they don't fall in line with your's? Right, back in your cave, little one.

The DLC definitely seems like more of the same, but I'm liking the quest to upgrade Gravehall Keep. I was hoping for a lot of new, useful items though, as I'm currently at level 38 but have yet to find any Dead Kel items which come close to bettering the equipment I've been using for ages.

Quit bitching. While the game has faults, no trophies in your DLC (i.e. optional content) on one console doesn't degrade the enjoyment you've already had with the game.

Of course it doesn't, but that's far from the point and you know it. Yes, trophy support is a minor feature that has no real affect on gameplay, but it's one that PS3 gamers have come to expect as standard and, while I'm not really all that bothered, a lot of people will feel aggrieved that this feature has not been included and no real explanation has been given, especially as 38 seemed so open and forthcoming pre-release.

Was it advertised as having trophies?

No, but when has any significant post-release DLC expansion not had trophies?

ReaperXL7

You realize how petty you sound right?

Oh noes, there's no tropies. The company is lieing to us, the game is shite, the world is ending. Zomg, no trophies in my DLC? DLC is totally worthless!

The problem I have with this situation is not about trophies to be specific, because I'm not a huge trophy guy. My problem with this is how do we know if anything else was cut from the PS3 DLC that is included in the other platforms. It might sound like a stretch but in 2012 not having trophy support sounds like a stretch aswell.

How am I supposed to know if the 360, or PC DLC did not gain other features that I have been cut from because I choose to play on PS3? If they up the level cap, whos to say they won't do so for the platforms they choose to rather then the platforms they released for? What would be your opinion if they released a patch for their nightmare mode, but only released said patch on every platform but the one that you bought the game on?

The kicker for me is that no one seems to know how this all happened, are we really supposed to believe that the developers of the game did not know that the PS3 version was not getting trophy support before they released, and sold it? How would that even be possible, since it would be my understanding that the developers would be the ones programming the trophies in the first place. It just all comes off as straight up dishonesty for the sake of a quick buck, which is fine from a business standpoint, but not something I care to support with my money.

lol the end of this The Isle of Eamonn quest. If you go up the ladder and exit, then come back in, it spawns a room full of cultists, and all at once instead of staggered in waves like the ones during the quest. I've got like 30+ corpses littering the ground.

PG5qN.jpg

XI8ee.jpg

Some tacked on DLC really won't reignite interest. If they want people to play again, they need an expansion with a level cap and significant content that expands on the main story with the actual characters. Nothing else will get my attention or my money.

Actually, what they desperately needed was a patch to fix the difficulty issue. So many of us abandoned the game once it became obvious that little to no time was spent balancing the game, or testing the balancing. They can add all the DLC they want but it's pointless if it's just more enemies that have no chance of hurting me. I finally caved and sold the game for 40 bucks, which is a real shame because this had the potential to be great.

I think the Death Kel DLC is broken.
At the end running from the cave I have to talk to Captain Brattigan but she is stuck behind all the rocks from the cave in

Yeah, I have the exact some issue and since my last save was about two hours ago I think I'm going to be taking a break from this game rather than play through a large chunk of the same stuff again. Which sucks because I'm really enjoying it for the most part, but replaying shit is always a real big fucking drag.

Also, you people complaining about lack of trophies need to give your head a shake, perhaps re-examine your priorities.

Frillen

Just bought the game. How do I use Gems? It says "Socket into a Weapon socket to increase that weapon's effectiveness". How do I equip it on a weapon because I can't find the option?

Only certain weapons have the necessary sockets, and it'll be clearly stated with graphic and text on the weapon's stats.

Also, in my 27 hours with the game so far, weapons with sockets are reasonably rare.

Oh, and you'll need one of those sagecraft altars to do the actual socket-ing. They can be found in a few of the towns in the world.

Frillen

Only certain weapons have the necessary sockets, and it'll be clearly stated with graphic and text on the weapon's stats.

Also, in my 27 hours with the game so far, weapons with sockets are reasonably rare.

So gathering shards is pretty pointless then? But they don't fill up the inventory limit? Thanks!

Well, as you level up your sagecraft skill you'll be able to create better and better gems from the shards (of which there are 3 levels of quality) you collect in the world, or so I understand. I haven't really dabbled in much of the crafting stuff. Unnecessary busy work, IMO.

ZZMitch

So gathering shards is pretty pointless then? But they don't fill up the inventory limit? Thanks!

I have more shards than I need yes. But they are still useful, since the best shard types (protection and physical in my opinion) are more rare than others in my playthrough. Armor with slots is more common in the later game, or you can make armor with gems using blacksmithing.

How have you come to the conclusion that shards are pointless? They are used to create gems, which can then create better gems as you level up sagecrafting. What ended up destroying the game for me was how unbelievably powerful gems make you on even the hardest difficulty, to the point that no enemy in the game is a real threat.

how the hell is there no patch yet?

That's what I asked myself prior to selling it last week. But I guess their position is that the changes required to fix the game are so major that they'll take quite a bit of time. Unfortunately for us (and for them) you don't get much time in this business before gamers stop paying attention to you and move on. This game needed infinitely better testing than it got in regards to difficulty balancing. How you miss the fact that crafting completely destroys the difficulty is beyond me.

vaelic

Banned
That's what I asked myself prior to selling it last week. But I guess their position is that the changes required to fix the game are so major that they'll take quite a bit of time. Unfortunately for us (and for them) you don't get much time in this business before gamers stop paying attention to you and move on. This game needed infinitely better testing than it got in regards to difficulty balancing. How you miss the fact that crafting completely destroys the difficulty is beyond me.

yep, exactly. I hope Curt and crew learned a lesson from this, before releasing their MMO

Actually, what they desperately needed was a patch to fix the difficulty issue. So many of us abandoned the game once it became obvious that little to no time was spent balancing the game, or testing the balancing. They can add all the DLC they want but it's pointless if it's just more enemies that have no chance of hurting me. I finally caved and sold the game for 40 bucks, which is a real shame because this had the potential to be great.
I'm glad this game apparently sold like gangbusters, so I don't feel terribly bad leaning towards trading it in myself.

I really do love this game (even despite the laundry list of nitpick flaws I have), but I can't imagine ever picking it up again. DLC doesn't interest me at all without level cap raise/item storage increase/patch fixes. I might've considered replaying it if the patch came out earlier, but it's been too long since I've last touched it, and I'm starting to move on to other games. Besides, Amalur 2 is already in the works (which I'm already wholeheartedly signed up for), so there's even less reason to keep this around.

Ricker

I don't want to get into an argument but I completly disagree with you guys that say this game needs a patch this badly...I'm level 31,close to 40 hours so far and didn't have any freezes and what not with the game on the 360,it runs great,you get use to the camera after about 30 minutes and there is still some challenging fights,IMHO,even on normal,bump it too hard and it should be fine for 5% of people that start games on hard...

Not saying patching stuff isn't good but I don't find it as urgent as some of you make it sound...for a game this big,they did a good job.

How do I increase my inventory limit?
You don't,you find a few places with a stash chest.

I don't want to get into an argument but I completly disagree with you guys that say this game needs a patch this badly...I'm level 31,close to 40 hours so far and didn't have any freezes and what not with the game on the 360,it runs great,you get use to the camera after about 30 minutes and there is still some challenging fights,IMHO,even on normal,bump it too hard and it should be fine for 5% of people that start games on hard...

Not saying patching stuff isn't good but I don't find it as urgent as some of you make it sound...for a game this big,they did a good job.

You don't,you find a few places with a stash chest.

When adding a couple health gems negates almost all incoming damage on the hardest difficulty, a patch is required.

ZZMitch

Finished the game today, took about 95 hours. Completed 201 quests. Enjoyed it a lot!

I already started a second game as a pure sorcery character (my last game was finesse/might). Just got to Gohart though, will probably play through again only doing certain sidequests later in the year.

Ricker

You can increase you inventory limit by buying backpacks from certain merchants actually. Each backpack you buy increases your inventory limit by 10.

Damn,my bad,you are right,I want to this vendor in Mel Senshir and he had only 1 to sell though...very helpful of course for like when you get a set from finishing a faction questline and the reward is 4 yellows with finess and you are a full Sorcery build like me hehe...

For those of you who got the DLC glitch bug,is it possible to explain what happens without spoiling anything too much??? Is it a widespread thing or only happens with a certain build? because someone said he didn't have a problem...I want to do that island before I continue the 2 main quests...

ZZMitch

Anyone know of a comprehensive list of side quests with rewards I could find somewhere?

I am planning out my second playthrough and want to only do sidequests that give me rewards for mages.

butsomuch

Reckoning lead designer Ian Frazier's LinkedIn profile
Game Director
Big Huge Games
March 2012 – Present (1 month)
Providing design and creative direction, as well as general project steering, for the Next Big Thing™ from Big Huge Games.

Lead Designer
Big Huge Games
August 2010 – March 2012 (1 year 8 months)
Design Lead and vision holder on Big Huge Games' upcoming multi-platform RPG, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Lead Systems Designer
Big Huge Games
April 2008 – August 2010 (2 years 5 months)
Management and mentoring for the Systems Design team at Big Huge Games, overseeing the design and implementation of key game systems on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Darkone

I started the game and have a few questions:

1. Are the side quests here rewarding that makes it worth doing?
2. is there a way to reset the skill tree?
3. i started the game on hard but still its kinda easy, does it get harder later on?

thanks for the repliers.

I started the game and have a few questions:

1. Are the side quests here rewarding that makes it worth doing?
2. is there a way to reset the skill tree?
3. i started the game on hard but still its kinda easy, does it get harder later on?

thanks for the repliers.

1. It varies from quest to quest, some can be very rewarding while other can be a complete waste of time. There's so many side quests, it's crazy.

2. Yeah, you have to go visit a 'Fate Weaver' (they appear as a pair of cards on the mini-map, and you meet one near the start of the game, Agarth) and pay to re-set your skills.

3. There's sure to be a few troubling enemies/bosses, but if anything it's going to get easier later on, as you'll be exponentially more powerful. If you're finding it mind-numbingly easy, even on hard, you'll have to put limits on yourself - like, not forging any armour with health/mana regeneration gems, or restricting the number of healing potions you bring with you on a quest.

Machine

You can increase you inventory limit by buying backpacks from certain merchants actually. Each backpack you buy increases your inventory limit by 10.

I read an interesting thread at another site which says that if you kill the merchant in Mel Senshir after buying the backpack, he eventually regenerates and you can buy another from him. Depending on your patience you could increase your inventory quite a bit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I just picked this up for my wife yesterday, and I played a little bit of it (just the portion after the demo). We got the PS3 version.

I really like the look and feel of it. My wife is enjoying it also, and it's something that's finally pulled her away from Skyrim.

The combat is so damn enjoyable, and it's something I feel was missing in games like Skyrim, and other open world and sandbox rpgs.

Ricker

Currently doing the DLC on the island and it's pretty good as well,level 33 now,getting close to 50 hours,some nice little quests in there.

I am going to raise the diffcult with the HeartCore mod, hope i will make the game better.
Normally I'd agree with this but hot damn I just got myself stuck in a boss battle without my win button (fate meter) and I'm just getting thoroughly spanked.

I'm facing the Maid of Windermere as part of the Hero and the Maiden quest. I used up all of my fate juice on fighting her mini-bosses so by the time I reach her for the finale I've got a handful of health potions and a very low fate meter. Between the Maid herself and about 4 or 5 sprites I'm trying to dodge so many special attacks coming my way that I can't possibly evade them all, especially with the delay after doing two blinks in unison. And sometimes I'll get hit once and then get stun locked as three or four more magic missiles arrive to finish me off. Cue massive potion gulping just to stay in the game - and by the time the thresh appears its game over for me mere seconds later.

In case you're wondering I'm running a Finesse/Sorcery build with almost all handcrafted gear with custom gemstones.

And man, am I getting torn to shreds at every attempt.

Ricker

Normally I'd agree with this but hot damn I just got myself stuck in a boss battle without my win button (fate meter) and I'm just getting thoroughly spanked.

I'm facing the Maid of Windermere as part of the Hero and the Maiden quest. I used up all of my fate juice on fighting her mini-bosses so by the time I reach her for the finale I've got a handful of health potions and a very low fate meter. Between the Maid herself and about 4 or 5 sprites I'm trying to dodge so many special attacks coming my way that I can't possibly evade them all, especially with the delay after doing two blinks in unison. And sometimes I'll get hit once and then get stun locked as three or four more magic missiles arrive to finish me off. Cue massive potion gulping just to stay in the game - and by the time the thresh appears its game over for me mere seconds later.

In case you're wondering I'm running a Finesse/Sorcery build with almost all handcrafted gear with custom gemstones.

It's been the hardest fight in the game for me by far as well...even though those quests kinda level with you,I came back a few levels later and finally got it...you should be able to just run out of there,I think it auto saves just before the fight if you died...I ran out and came back better prepared(on normal and on 360 though).

It's been the hardest fight in the game for me by far as well...even though those quests kinda level with you,I came back a few levels later and finally got it...you should be able to just run out of there,I think it auto saves just before the fight if you died...I ran out and came back better prepared(on normal and on 360 though).
I hope so, since her words to me just before the fight were
"I hope you like it here, for you will never ever leave it."
, but its worth a try. Up to that point Hard difficulty has been just about perfect - just hard enough to keep you on your toes and look to exploit opportunities as they arise. But then when the game tosses half a dozen various enemies at you in the same arena things can and do go to shit in seconds unless you've got endless potions/fate to work with.

notworksafe

Are there any issues with the PS3 version of the game? I tried the demo on my creaky old Macbook Pro and it ran surprisingly well, but still had a bit of lag.

If the PS3 version has no major issues I'd prefer to play it on there but if there's some sort of Skyrim-level problems I'll just deal with a bit of lag on the PC.

Finaika

Are there any issues with the PS3 version of the game? I tried the demo on my creaky old Macbook Pro and it ran surprisingly well, but still had a bit of lag.

If the PS3 version has no major issues I'd prefer to play it on there but if there's some sort of Skyrim-level problems I'll just deal with a bit of lag on the PC.

No problems at all.

Aeana

I'm finally getting to this after having so much other stuff on my plate. I'm having a pretty good time - I think chakams and staves are fun, and sorcery in general is pretty fun. Really like that mark of flame spell thing. I'm not too far in, just did the first part of the House of Ballads quest, but I'm having a good time.

The game makes my GPU hotter than any other game I've played, though; makes me kind of uncomfortable. 70C is a full 10C higher than I've ever seen another game get it to.

Abylim

I'm not exactly a trophy chaser myself, but I totally identify with people upset at the lack of them. The 360 gets the achievements, its natural to feel like your missing out.

It's not because were trophy whores, and we only play for that. It just makes me feel like my money isnt worth the same as a 360 users.
I enjoyed this game, but I'm not going to lie. I was pretty let down by the "end game" and the time frames the devs were bragging about pre release. I enjoyed it, I dont regret the purchase, but that, coupled with the lack of any patching to fix some of the issues, then with this DLC lacking trophies fr ps3 aswell? It doesnt make me want to shell more money out to them, considering we get less.

"Its only trophies!" Yeah, but the lack of it means something.

Just my 2 cents.

ParityBit

I'm not exactly a trophy chaser myself, but I totally identify with people upset at the lack of them. The 360 gets the achievements, its natural to feel like your missing out.

It's not because were trophy whores, and we only play for that. It just makes me feel like my money isnt worth the same as a 360 users.
I enjoyed this game, but I'm not going to lie. I was pretty let down by the "end game" and the time frames the devs were bragging about pre release. I enjoyed it, I dont regret the purchase, but that, coupled with the lack of any patching to fix some of the issues, then with this DLC lacking trophies fr ps3 aswell? It doesnt make me want to shell more money out to them, considering we get less.

"Its only trophies!" Yeah, but the lack of it means something.

Just my 2 cents.

I remember the first day of achievements...... PC/PS3 only people made fun of the 360 users. Now everyone wants them!

I admit, I was an achievement whore from day one :p

Abylim

I've always liked them. They add replayability.
I guess if the 360 didnt have it, it might not seem so bad. It just feels like we're getting shafted =\

To clarify, I'm not saying I want the achievements removed, I'd much rather someone have them, then no one. Just seems weird to have one system have it, and not the other.

Regardless there was little chance of me buying this DLC. I'm after one that expands the level range, or gives more inventory. I am further discouraged by the current events, and it makes me question if the PS3 userbase will ever get parity with 360, DLC wise.

Also, I have a decent sized backlog, so theres a lot of competition for my game time hehe

ElyrionX

This is the cheapest goddamn fight in the game. Like you, I wasted all my fate before that fight and it was just impossible without potion chugging. Luckily I had a good stockpile of health potions because I never really used them before that fight so I managed to grind through it. But that fight really exposes the key flaws in the game's combat engine and difficulty, namely:

1. Too many goddamn homing projectiles
2. Those same goddamn homing projectiles home too damn well
3. The player's evasive options are not strong enough (thus requiring the current potion system to balance out the difficulty spikes such as in this fight)

This is the cheapest goddamn fight in the game. Like you, I wasted all my fate before that fight and it was just impossible without potion chugging. Luckily I had a good stockpile of health potions because I never really used them before that fight so I managed to grind through it. But that fight really exposes the key flaws in the game's combat engine and difficulty, namely:

3. The player's evasive options are not strong enough (thus requiring the current potion system to balance out the difficulty spikes such as in this fight)
I'd agree, it is pretty cheap. I ended up taking Ricker's advice and just delaying the fight for another day
, or a few minutes later ;P I went outside the dungeon and cleared the surrounding areas of trolls and sprites, filling my fate meter to about 95% and then headed back in to confront her. Once I got enough Fate to use it I unleashed the whammo and won the encounter. Also, there is a room to the east that you can use to lure enemies into or shield yourself from some of their long range attacks. I didn't end up using it though.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Just echoing the sentiment posted above. We have the PS3 version, and I've yet to come across any significant issues. I think I encountered a slight drop in framerate when battling a lot of people and using my flashy spell, but other than that, I haven't had any major issues so far.

I'm really enjoying the game. For me, it's my sleeper hit of the year so far. I had literally never heard of the game until the day the demo hit PSN when talking to some coworkers about games. I'm so glad I checked it out.

Ricker

Just saw loging out of the game that a new DLC is coming,Teeth of Naros...If it's as meaty as the Kel DLC I'll be there day one again.

Homing projectiles are easy enough to dodge if you pay attention to the timing...my issue is when the camera turns stupid indoors and you constantly get smacked by them with no chance to react.

The game chugged a bit at times for me on the PS3, but aside from that, there weren't any game-breaking bugs or anything.

Top Bottom