• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I respecced again, think I'm done now. I went full Finesse, because even with my Finesse/Magic build, I was barely using any magic whatsoever (and didn't need to). So I took those points out, put them into Finesse so I could get the high level skills, and now I'm almost overpowered. My poison, critical and bleeding attacks are crazy.

I'm over 70 hours and just finished the Mel Senshir quest. Will be moving about through Klurikon now, and probably ignoring most sidequests as I want to finish this game soon. I have 30 sidequests pending that I've mostly ignored because the game just has too many! And most are fetch quest types with the few similar looking dungeons that are more repetitive than Oblivion.

Still, I have had a blast playing the game for the last month, but at 70+ hours and possibly up to 80 to just finish the game at this point, I'm nearing the end of my time in the Faelands. I hope a sequel makes the sidequests feel a bit more enjoyable, like they did in Skyrim, as well addressing a few other things. In fact, I might go back to Skyrim after I'm done with Amalur just so I can get my fix of open world RPGing. Amalur doesn't feel open-world due to its structure and general feel.

Amazon is also giving $31 for it right now, and since I bought it for $45 not counting credit, 80 hours for $15 is a steal.

Laekon

How is the overall story of this game? I'm trying to decide between this and SW:TOR as something to play for the next month and the story of a game is really important to me.

How is the overall story of this game? I'm trying to decide between this and SW:TOR as something to play for the next month and the story of a game is really important to me.

SWTOR has several better stories. This game however will still be playable in 10 years.

Well, then again, EA online pass, so maybe not all of it...

Kelegacy

Eh, it isn't that great IMO. I haven't been surprised once in my 70 hours anyway. Who knows, it might get better.

It started out with a fun hook, but it's been mostly standard fare thus far. The gameplay is the best part of the game, IMO. The story is just there.

1stStrike

Banned

Don't play this game for the story. It's generic MMO fantasy with nothing special. While there are books that add some depth to the world and characters, there's nothing that stands out here.

The crafting interface is pretty abysmal too.

Play it for the combat. That's really where it stands out, and the combat is honestly very fun as long as you don't turn yourself into a god by crafting anything.

OK so I'm guilty of buying this when it came out then putting it down due to other things, but now that ME3 is out of the way I decided to pick it up again and have a good look... and I'm blown away. I've only put 10 hours in so far, but it's such a refreshing change of pace from ME3. The freedom to explore, the character customisation, the combat, the art design, the slick UI (like being able to equip or junk items straight from looting, fast travel etc)... it all fits together so well.

I can easily see myself sinking way more time into this, especially seeing how little I've seen of the world map.

Would have been nice to have character dialogue and better facial animations though, but it's no big deal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There are a couple of locked chests (one at either end) of Ironfast Keep. Is it possible to open these? I can't seem to pickpocket anybody in the building, so I'm assuming they're just for show.

Ricker

Downloading the new DLC now,not sure I will be able to do that content right away since I am only level 28 but it looked cool so I grabbed it.

EDIT: I will,it says minimum is level 10 =)

Hobbun

I have read and normally enjoy Salvatore's work, but the story for this game…eh. I just don’t care for the characters, like I do in his novels.

As people have said, don’t play it for the story. But it is a lot of fun to play. At least I’ve found it to be the case.

Downloading the new DLC now,not sure I will be able to do that content right away since I am only level 28 but it looked cool so I grabbed it.

Oh, the DLC is out already? I didn't figure it would be available this early on in the day. Will be downloading when I get home!

Ricker

I have read and normally enjoy Salvatore's work, but the story for this game…eh. I just don’t care for the characters, like I do in his novels.

As people have said, don’t play it for the story. But it is a lot of fun to play. At least I’ve found it to be the case.

Oh, the DLC is out already? I didn't figure it would be available this early on in the day. Will be downloading when I get home!

Well it is for the 360...naturally later today when Sony feels like it on PSN and not sure about Steam :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh damn, I didn't realize this DLC already came out.

Although I'm less enthusiastic about the game after having taken a step back from it for a while, I still want to check out the DLC. I'm sad that there isn't a level cap increase.

sneaky77

I bought the DLC and I am looking forward to going back into the world. I won't be able to check it out until late tonight at the earliest though

1stStrike

Banned
Any impressions, this game was big here, now it died. I guess they needed to release dlc a lot sooner.

Some tacked on DLC really won't reignite interest. If they want people to play again, they need an expansion with a level cap and significant content that expands on the main story with the actual characters. Nothing else will get my attention or my money.

Wallach

Any impressions, this game was big here, now it died. I guess they needed to release dlc a lot sooner.

I think interest died because the game really did need a patch to address some of the more serious balance issues and still has yet to get one. I don't really have any interest in DLC or any other form of new content until that gets handled.

I'm very disappointed in stash limit still being in the game, I was really hoping for it to get bigger or unlimited with the DLC but it didn't. Haven't found a single backpack either, with only two spaces left in the inventory I see no point in playing. I'll rush finish it since I bought it already but if the next DLC won't do anything with the stash size no purchase for me, sorry.

Kelegacy

I beat the game last night, 82.5 hours. If I did all the darn sidequests I had pending it would be another 20 hours probably. The dungeons were just too boring and simliar for me to attempt most of them after Detyre (I did ALL of them in Dalentarth), as they were all fetch quests. But a game of this nature does seem to lean towards those types of quests due to the lack of interactivity with the world.

The game was a fun experience, but there is a LOT of content. I had to tell myself to stop trying to do everything. Last few hours of the game was me blitzing through trying to get to the end boss. I ran through the last land trying not to fight anyone, just letting them chase me until giving up, unless I had to in order to progress. I would have an army chasing me but I would just keep running on. I had tired of the game and the fighting was slowing me down.

Dungeons were perhaps the biggest let down, because it felt like there were only 2 or 3 dungeon palettes and they were overused big time. They all felt the same, to the point where I started ignoring quests that involved dungeons.

Anyway, glad I played it. Not interested in the DLC because there is so much of the actual game I never even bothered with. Great first game Curt and crew, will be looking forward to what you come up with next!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm ~77 hours in and still have around 2/3 of the Plains of Erathell to complete before I set sail to the the east.

I was initially going to hold out on the DLC until a sale, but seeing as I'll have spent at least 100 hours with the game by the time I'm done with it, I don't mind throwing another $10 38S's way.

ElyrionX

Yeah did the Plains and just hit Detyre. Despite respeccing from Sorcery to Finesse/Might, I grew bored it quite quickly. Can't find the will to continue on anymore.

ElyrionX

Also, I'm disappointed that they released the DLC before a patch. As much as Curt wants to position his company as different from the rest of the pack, ultimately it's just another game developer that is more than willing to exploit its fanbase for a fast buck.

Also, I'm disappointed that they released the DLC before a patch. As much as Curt wants to position his company as different from the rest of the pack, ultimately it's just another game developer that is more than willing to exploit its fanbase for a fast buck.

You do realize that the DLC was probably started in the window before the game released but, was gold, and finishing it first made sense right? I thought that there already was a statement that a patch would be released between the first and second DLC, which would mean it was started once they got feedback post release...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, this is because of their publishing agreement with EA. They agreed to put out X number of DLC packs and are contractually obligated to deliver them by a certain deadline. I imagine things would be somewhat different if they managed to self-publish.

Fredescu

I wandered into Snaketail Grotto and can't get out. The entry is a drop off and there's nowhere to exit. There's a locked door, but I don't have the key because I'm not at that point of the quest that gives you that key. Anyone come across this? I don't want to reload, but I think I'm going to have to.

Carm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

Title: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Legend of Dead Kel
Genre: Action, RPG
Developer: Big Huge Games , 38 Studios
Publisher: 38 Studios
Release Date: Mar 20, 2012
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: EA Access

Why the hell does the Steam version which already has DRM, also have EA DRM Mr. Schilling? The base game doesn't have it, which is one of the reasons some of us actually purchased it on Steam in the first place.

Ricker

Just did the whole Mel Senshir battles last evening,pretty awesome stuff even without a patch(sarcastic grin)...now that I hit level 30,I might go see the DLC island but I still have a lot of other stuff to do as well.

The PS3 version of the DLC has no trophies, yet PC/360 do.

Explain this Curt, this is rather ridiculous and while I want to play the content- I feel kind of shafted.

windz

Started up after taking a few weeks off to play Mass Effect 3.

Oh god I have no idea where I am or what I was doing.

Welcome to the club, lol, was level 25 and I had to re-read all my quests and look at the map to refresh my memory. Taking long breaks in RPG's = what the hell was I doing?

God, and I'm still in the plains and haven't touched Detyre...still so much to see :eek:

I really am considering ignoring every side quest from here on out instead of completing everything :(

bengraven

Started playing the other night and only just got to the main city. I'm pretty turned off by the story so far - it reminds me of when I first started playing Morrowind and they're throwing all these new words and ridiculous names at you.

As for the combat, it's just Fable mixed with God of War. Just kind of eh.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't get all the angst over trophies. Who the fuck cares?

I do. And it's not for you to tell me whether I should or not. I enjoy trophies in my games, they add great value to my gameplay, and they hinder NOTHING for people who don't like them. They are added incentives to explore every nook and cranny of a game. Some are great, some are terrible, but in the end I expect a piece of content released in 2012 to have them. I have zero plans to touch Amalur again until it 1) gets a patch and 2) the dlc gets trophies in it.

edit: after a bit of research it seems the PS3 dlc won't be getting patched
http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...nts-on-console&p=109266&viewfull=1#post109266

Well, that's it for me with this game. I CANNOT stand developers these days who still pull this shit. It's the same as Capcom and their 360 version of SFxT not having local online co-op and let's not even start on Skyrim. If you can't achieve parity on both platforms, don't bother releasing it. I might just be one wallet, but I went from being a big fan of 38 with this release to being a disgruntled customer. I'll vote with my wallet and make sure I let my friends know about this too.

I also think it's fair to say that Curt won't be around here anymore as he's already got his NPD numbers and sales.

I honestly didn't notice that I wasn't earning trophies while playing the DLC, but it's still a shitty situation for PS3 fans who care about that sort of thing.

The fact is that pretty much every game with sizeable DLC content on the PS3 has extra trophies for that content, and it's hard to understand exactly why PS3 users have got the short end of the stick here, while a vague answer like "due to constraints" offers no real explanation as to why trophies are absent, nor why they won't be patched in. That sort of duplicitous PR speak really says nothing more than "sorry, tough shit" to the PS3 fans of Amalur, "we would've told you beforehand, but we didn't want 'No trophies for Dead Kel!' posted up on a bunch of news sites and blogs and forums the day before release".

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think the Death Kel DLC is broken.
At the end running from the cave I have to talk to Captain Brattigan but she is stuck behind all the rocks from the cave in

gehrig38

I can only tell you that the decision to have the trophies in the PS3 DLC was one we did NOT have a say in.
I would love to be more explicit, but I cannot.
Needless to say were we to have been involved, that is not how we would have chosen to to do it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I don't believe MS locked up "exclusive achievements" for a dlc and I don't see how the parent company of the game can't explain what's up. I won't pretend to know how the background business works but something is messed up here for PS3 owners, heck all owners since the core game and now the dlc is broken. How did this go from my absolute favorite game to least want to play game..

ReaperXL7

wow it's amazing how much things have changed over at 38 these days, I understand that there are some things that they can't discuss due to contractual obligations, but this crap comes off as entirely shady and dishonest. If they knew that the DLC would not have trophies why did they not say something before release? Why is the PS3 DLC not cheaper when it has fewer features?

I was so high on 38 in the beginning and everything seemed like it was going to be great, but things are adding up at this point between patching not even being hinted at a release at this point, this DLC crap, and various other issues it's becoming less a priority to support 38 on my end. I put alot of effort into pushing the game out there for people, and if things like this keep occuring i'll put just as much energy into steering people away from it.

gehrig38

If they knew that the DLC would not have trophies why did they not say something before release?

Agreed, had we known, for ANY platform, there would be no trophies, achievements etc., we'd have advised our players.

I'm an expert

If they knew that the DLC would not have trophies why did they not say something before release?

Agreed, had we known, for ANY platform, there would be no trophies, achievements etc., we'd have advised our players.

Something seems very off when the owner of the company doesn't know something like that. Please, forgive my ignorance, but how does 38 Studios/BHG's relationship work exactly? I sort of figured it was the same entity but now this makes it seem like BHG is some sort of mercenary group that 38 hired and they're running wild. If you can't talk about it, c'est la vie..but just wondering where the disconnect occurred here. Not every day you get the owner of the company here so I might as well take a shot.

Also can't help but agree with the above poster. If the PS3 dlc was at least cheaper to offset the missing content I'd have no choice but to see the studio realized something was messed up and fixed it the best they could. But at this point it's just the PS3 getting dicked again 6 years into the generation.

For the "The Secret of the Fae Pools" task, is it repeatable? It doesn't seem to give me another
boggart
when I try again.

The boggart's AI seems pretty horrible. I mean I guess it's supposed to be a moron, but it would just randomly stop following me. Then it exploded for no apparent reason.

I enjoy trophies in my games, they add great value to my gameplay, and they hinder NOTHING for people who don't like them.
If it really means that much to you, couldn't you just look up the 360 achievements and do them on the PS3? You wouldn't hear that "ding", but there's no difference in actual gameplay. I'd much rather they focus on fixing camera and bug issues before worrying about stuff like that.

Any of you play the DLC yet? I'm interested in hearing some impressions. I think I'll hold off until we get the patch first. I have a feeling ME3 is gonna be taking up most of my gaming time soon though, since I'll probably be picking it up next week.

EDIT: Also, here's a really awesome combo for spellcloaks.

I'm an expert

If it really means that much to you, couldn't you just look up the 360 achievements and do them on the PS3? You wouldn't hear that "ding", but there's no difference in actual gameplay.

I realize you're trying to be nice, but this suggestion is..offensive.. to me as a fan of trophies. And I mean that in the least abrasive, most geeky way possible. No, it's not the same.

1stStrike

Banned
I realize you're trying to be nice, but this suggestion is..offensive.. to me as a fan of trophies. And I mean that in the least abrasive, most geeky way possible. No, it's not the same.

You realize how petty you sound right?

Oh noes, there's no tropies. The company is lieing to us, the game is shite, the world is ending. Zomg, no trophies in my DLC? DLC is totally worthless!

Quit bitching. While the game has faults, no trophies in your DLC (i.e. optional content) on one console doesn't degrade the enjoyment you've already had with the game.

Top Bottom