• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

So... Aron Expeditions... I assume I was supposed to have some sort of confrontation with Edgar Aron where things got explained?

But instead I just stole the item from his inventory and he wandered away.

So I'd been doing a Sorcery/Finesse build and the game was a decent challenge. Once I hit level 25/26 I wasn't dying that often, but I was still having to use strategy for some encounters/boss fights.

I got a really good staff, started messing around with the extra moves and decided I liked the staff/chakram set-up over daggers/chakram that I had been running with. So I went to a Fateweaver and made a pure sorcery build to reflect my weapon change...and holy shit. A pure build is so, so, so much more powerful than a combo build. Now I see what people were saying about balancing towards the endgame being off. My battle plan now is simply go in: Meteor. Anything left alive? Blizzard. Rinse and repeat.

Difficulty has dropped off completely with the pure build, but on the other hand using the elite powers makes me feel like the most badass magic user I've ever been in a game.

gehrig38

So whatever happened to that promised patch? Not that it'd do me any good anymore, but I'm surprised how it just sort of got abandoned.

Nothings been abandoned, we've just run into situations and hurdles we cannot control or manipulate, and we're trying to create something that serves the players and IP first, and it's not being met with friendly responses.

Nothings been abandoned, we've just run into situations and hurdles we cannot control or manipulate, and we're trying to create something that serves the players and IP first, and it's not being met with friendly responses.

Friendly responses from your publisher or from your customer base? or both?

I can't help but feel that 38 has dropped the ball when it comes to serving their customer base. We're now over 2 months since the launch of reckoning and we've had 1 DLC and another one up and coming (I get it, they were in progress before the game shipped.. ) and no information about a patch or even an acknowledged issue list.

I feel especially let down as a PC customer. I bought the collector's edition despite the fact that it forced me to use Origin because I wanted to support the studio (and of course, the goodies were pretty cool.. the prismere troll is currently menacing passers-by from the edge of my desk.) and I've got a game that I can't play comfortably due to issues with the camera and field of view in the game.

You've been a PC gamer for a number of years, so I'd be surprised if you didn't understand the frustration that many of us are experiencing with this.

Thanks for the update Curt. I'm still enjoying every minute I pour into this game, by the way. I'm only level 20 right now by my Rogue is dominating! :)

Thanks for the update Curt. I'm still enjoying every minute I pour into this game, by the way. I'm only level 20 right now by my Rogue is dominating! :)
Same thing to report here. The animation, art direction, exploration and phat loots keep me coming back again and again. Difficulty has dropped quite a bit for me since I started slotting health-regen gems, but I honestly don't have a problem with it since my overpowered chakram+fae blade ass-kickery just looks, sounds and feels so damn satisfying.

Xena

I have finally found some time to play this game. It's so addicting, everytime I finish one quest, I tell myself "ok, this is a good stopping point!"... then, a few minutes later, I'm already working on another one, lol. The gameplay is so fluid and the scenery is beautiful.

Ricker

And same here,the game is awesome,can't wait for the next DLC,Kel was great,level 38 now,180 sidequests done and counting...of course at some point,a level cap increase to 45 would be awesome if possible...I hope the game sold well enough so the IP keeps progressing.

gehrig38

Friendly responses from your publisher or from your customer base? or both?

I can't help but feel that 38 has dropped the ball when it comes to serving their customer base. We're now over 2 months since the launch of reckoning and we've had 1 DLC and another one up and coming (I get it, they were in progress before the game shipped.. ) and no information about a patch or even an acknowledged issue list.

I feel especially let down as a PC customer. I bought the collector's edition despite the fact that it forced me to use Origin because I wanted to support the studio (and of course, the goodies were pretty cool.. the prismere troll is currently menacing passers-by from the edge of my desk.) and I've got a game that I can't play comfortably due to issues with the camera and field of view in the game.

You've been a PC gamer for a number of years, so I'd be surprised if you didn't understand the frustration that many of us are experiencing with this.

It's a challenge and next to impossible to be open and up front about ANYTHING relating to creation of content, DLC to patching, when you do not control when, how, why and where content can be published.

We partnered with EA to publish this game, they handled development of the product from a cost perspective, they also control all facets of content creation as it relates to Reckoning.

They have many more higher priorities than 38 and Reckoning, and that's certainly understandable, even if it's not optimal for us, or for players who purchased Reckoning.

It's a challenge and next to impossible to be open and up front about ANYTHING relating to creation of content, DLC to patching, when you do not control when, how, why and where content can be published.

We partnered with EA to publish this game, they handled development of the product from a cost perspective, they also control all facets of content creation as it relates to Reckoning.

They have many more higher priorities than 38 and Reckoning, and that's certainly understandable, even if it's not optimal for us, or for players who purchased Reckoning.

I appreciate the response, Curt.

I know that this situation isn't what you guys wanted, but it still sucks (for everybody).

I'm assuming that they will also be publishing the eventual mmorpg (which I would expect that you would not be able to discuss regardless) and that will unfortunately be enough to prevent me from investing in future EA published 38/BHG efforts.

ParityBit

You should try kickstarter next time. Reasons like this is why most gamers really dislike the big publishers! ( I know kickstarter is not an option though)

Can you use a different pub for the MMORPG and/or sequel to Reckoning? I'm probably still in even it's an EA published game because I like the world a lot but, I (like most gamers I assume) definitely do not like EA.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Decided to pop in here and check the status on a balance patch as I am getting tired of looking at my copy on the shelf over the last couple months.

Really disheartening to read Curt's comments made the last couple days. I empathize with his team and the struggles they are currently facing. Really wish the best for their future and am savagely disgusted at the lack of support and genuine respect EA...well "seemingly" is giving to the Partners program as well as for the supportive consumers.

I understand I am in the minority that is looking for a more engaging experience than the more 'casual' player, particularly when it comes to utilizing skill progression and upgrade tools afforded to my character in a meaningful way that isn't game-breaking. There is a great foundation here, but the end experience leaves a lot to be desired in terms of balance. I am now unsure of where that leaves me with this game.

I wish the team well as they craft their future games, hopefully with a publishing partner that shares the same commitment to the product.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, I kind of want to open up discussion regarding Curt's latest comments on the Gaming forum, but I don't think Curt would appreciate the obvious blowback and disdain that would generate during this delicate period of negotiation with EA.

I don't know if you're still here Mr Schilling, but I would personally love to hear about some of your everquest stories, especiallly midseason. Not that I don't care about koa, just that what I've heard already is awesome and im interested in more :)

Rhyvven

Neo Member
68 hours in and I just fell victim to the "Silence Falls" bug. After I realized something was wrong, I went 'googling" and found how it "may" happen. Most posts said you need to wait until you "officially" get the Silence Falls quest. Once you had received it, you were safe from the possible bug. In my case that was not true. I was given the quest, got side tracked along the way to doing it by the House of Sorrows Faction quest. I was wandering around Klurikon following the Sorrows line and fought/cleared an area I shouldn't have (google the bug if you want to know, rather than me "spoiler-ing" it out here).

Then when I got the quest to actually go to that area and "clear" three things, I had already cleared one. Sure enough, three on the map, cleared two, went to the third, no one there - nothing to "clear" as it was already done....and can't remove/complete the third marker from the map or continue the Main quest line any further. Game broken.

I have three saves going and none go back far enough to reload. Sure, I could be faulted for not having an old enough save. But, even if I did, I would have had to retain a save that was at least 5 hours older (I explore a lot and play "slowly"). Certainly not a normal practice, at least for me, to have saves that go back such a far span.

I also don't read the "walkthroughs" so I was never privy to the bug if mentioned there. If it was mentioned in this thread, I also missed it,having to avoid reading some posts due to non disclosed spoilers.

Anyone else fall victim? Supposedly, 38 has known about this bug since shortly after release. I applaud Curt for coming on here and understand the constraints placed upon them by EA. But one would hope/think EA would allow a fix to a bug that effectively breaks the game and does not allow you to continue the main story.

I suppose I can look to add to my tally of 103 side quests until they fix it.

Finaika

I had a bug too where I couldn't complete the collect Freeman bandits badge thingy, so I loaded an earlier save (about 5 hours).

Pretty pissed off, hope it doesn't happen to future quests *knocks on wood*

Xena

I'm playing without following a walk through, but this talk of bugs here and there is really getting me into researching all these bugs so I can avoid it on my game. I currently have around 42 hours and really don't want to have to restart the game from the beginning...

Audioboxer

How is the loot diversity in this game? It kind of flew in under my radar. I prefer experiences akin to Dragons Age (original with expansion, never touched 2nd) as opposed to Skyrim. I always want to enjoy The Elder Scrolls more than I usually end up doing.

Think it's down to something like Skyrim trying to 'fake' a fully living world, as opposed to say focussing on individual living cities or segregated living 'areas'.

Rhyvven

Neo Member
I'm playing without following a walk through, but this talk of bugs here and there is really getting me into researching all these bugs so I can avoid it on my game. I currently have around 42 hours and really don't want to have to restart the game from the beginning...

I would definitely look up the "Silence Falls" bug that I "caused". It is VERY simple to avoid, but also VERY simple to cause. It will halt your progress in the main quest with no way out of it. Of course YOU could probably keep an older "hours ago" save since you have not caused it yet. Then if you do, you'll have to play from however far back to that point. But at least you won't be stuck.

I can tell you how to avoid it, as I did my son so he wouldn't, without spoiling or naming specifics. Basically keep in your head that if you see what looks like a bright red " fiery tower" with a bunch of people around it while in Klurikon and you "hear" talking...stay away. Wait until someone tells you to go to the tower (which will be three of them). Each place is in a section with only one way in. I really don't see why they just didn't place a "ward" to keep you out until you were suppose to be there.

Obviously that IS the bug and they had no clue it would stop your progress in the main story if you took one out "too soon". Hence, they never saw a need to keep you away.

It's odd because I have cleared dungeons out while just doing general exploration and then gotten a quest later on to go back in. Most enemies are gone and it is quick goings. I've also found items, then later on encountered the person asking for it and I "say", "Here , is this what you are looking for"...and quest complete.

Xena

Thank you, Rhyvven. I was doing all the sidequests for each world area before proceeding with the storyline, but now I'm strictly doing the main story until I finish the game. Then I'll go work on factions and sidequests, since if some of them fail due to bug, I'm not going to be that upset. But main story? That's a no-no.

Helscream

Banned
I just bought the game about 5 days ago. Did a lot of reading and it seemed like at the very least I would get my moneys worth in times of quantity. I am about 34 hours in and I am having a blast. Really nice to have a RPG that has much more pro-active and physical combat system. I have not encountered any serious bugs or issues yet so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The thing that I find interesting about this game, and when I say this I mean this as a compliment towards KoA:R. Back it feels opposite of how my experience of Skyrim was. Like in Skyrim you level up getting nice gear and compared to the content that is available compared to how long it can take for you to maximize your gear can really make the rest of the gaming aborning because of the combat system. KoA:R seems to have like the opposite effect. To where it starts off slow, but the more your progress the more entertaining it is. I am going pure might and even though there is a lot of hacking and slashing the combat makes it fun to keep going. So for me the game becomes more entertaining as a progress, where as Skyrim bored the fuck out of me past 40 hours out of my 145 hour game save.

I really dig the vibrant colors. For a brand new IP this game is great. The only thing this game needs work on is the delivery of the story/sidequest. They have the right voice actors, Barry Dennen, Simon Templeman, Keith Szarabajka. Like I feel that the material for a great story is there, its just how that material is used is making it a bit lack luster. But everything is really great. Most definitely leaves plenty of room for replay value. Have yet to beat the game but I am having a blast.

Bought the game yesterday afternoon and put about 3 hours into it last night. The game is goooooood fun. I started on Normal but so far I haven't had any difficulty with the enemies (though I've only faced the early game enemies). Does it get anymore challenging or should I bump it up to Hard?

ced

So Curt

Are you saying that EA (or MS / Sony) controls what you all release when it comes to a patch? More specifically that you all are forced to release DLC before a patch?

Ricker

Bought the game yesterday afternoon and put about 3 hours into it last night. The game is goooooood fun. I started on Normal but so far I haven't had any difficulty with the enemies (though I've only faced the early game enemies). Does it get anymore challenging or should I bump it up to Hard?

Wait till you start getting mages that fling spells at you from afar to see how you handle those(or till you reach a certain Boss if you picked up the House of Ballads questline)...if you have no problem with those,you can bump it to hard...

Grabbed the new DLC this morning,I like how they just stick a square in one of the corner of the World map for the new area,looks completly detached from everything hehe...I am almost level 40 now,inside the last area for the endgame,then I'll head to this new area for the DLC,looks as good as Kel.

Finaika

Wait till you start getting mages that fling spells at you from afar to see how you handle those(or till you reach a certain Boss if you picked up the House of Ballads questline)...if you have no problem with those,you can bump it to hard...

That boss was so frustrating, but yeah other than that the game is quite easy especially if you craft your own overpowered blacksmithing armor. Try hard imo.

I haven't played this game in months because I've been waiting on a patch. Looks like we won't get one or it will be even more delayed. Yet EA finds the money to make 2 DLC. I know these have been budgeted probably before the release, but its still sad.

To quote The Wire
Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell

gehrig38

So Curt

Are you saying that EA (or MS / Sony) controls what you all release when it comes to a patch? More specifically that you all are forced to release DLC before a patch?

What I am saying is that the deal with EA, to publish Reckoning, contained 2 post launch DLC pieces of content, nothing else.

Anything post launch OTHER than the 2 DLC packs we were contractually obligated to create, is outside the scope of the commitment they made to us.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm assuming the issue then is who pays the $20,000 or whatever it is to MS/Sony for the patch? And I'm also assuming since about 3/5 people don't run into game-breaking bugs that's considered acceptable and not worth the money/time for a new company that already has its hands full with another game in development?

These are just guesses. No idea. But if a patch is eventually not coming it'd be nice to know.

Is it possible to remove a socketed gem from your armor? I crafted a gem and shoved it in a piece of my armor, only to discover that I crafted another stronger armor buffing gem. I can't seem to find a way to remove it.

Is it possible to remove a socketed gem from your armor? I crafted a gem and shoved it in a piece of my armor, only to discover that I crafted another stronger armor buffing gem. I can't seem to find a way to remove it.

You have to go to a sagecrafter npc to remove it for you. There's one at the house of ballads, house of valor, and scholia arcana. Not sure where else.

Also you can remove it yourself if you are master level at sagecrafting.

Grymm

Banned
Curt can you put on your World Series rings, punch Riccitiello in the face, and post a pic?

Or ask John Kruk to eat him?

Finally got around to playing the demo last night/ Love the art and the game seems to ooze character. But can someone confirm if the demo (technically) is a good representation of the final product? I was having graphical and sound issues as soon as I left the tutorial dungeon. It was really bad. I would say I never had the music ,vocal and sound effect working at the same time and the text would auto scroll.

Top Bottom