• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "Destiny Review Scores May Cost Bungie $2.5 Million"

antitrop

Sure, but Activision still sold them. Or do they have to buy them back if they sit at Wal-Mart too long?

Yup, Activision made their cut, already. It's up the to the retail store to sell it to a consumer. If you walk into some Wal-Marts, you can still find a small selection of PS2 games that they can't possibly get rid of, etc.

But almost everyone I've seen thinks that there are $500 million worth of Destiny copies sitting in people's houses next to their consoles, when that's hardly the case.

Cornbread78

90 really is a long range goal with the way games are reviewed these days. Although, all of my friends are really loving Destiny and are having fun with it, go figure, they like it a lot more than the 77 meta it has right now...

From Sat. night alone around 1am, about 27 of 35 friends online were playing it, so it has to have had a pretty positive influance over all. It's a shame people jsut piss all over it and won;t give it a shot because of a low average rating score. Brings back on why these clauses shouldn't be in contracts because reviews are so subjective and many times biased fanboyism, albeit very transparent now...

That's usually negotiated beforehand. I doubt retailers will be returning stock.

Retailers cannot return them, unfortuantely. This was a common battle with EA, who used to ship each store around 100 copies of Madden and NCAA football each year, so the stores were stuck with copies for years...... I mean, my store still has copies back to 2010 hanging around....

I didn't deserve high scores. Trying to play a story mission solo and 3 times at the end of the mission it said I was no longer connected to the server... The first time I had to start again the other two it put me back before the last fight... I was so annoyed and was almost done with it.

It is a filler for September as I have Forza H, Bayo 2 and Sunset Overdrive out that month, and this game will be forgotten by me by Christmas.

I was able to play Borderlands 1 and 2 by myself, but it feels like there is half a game missing

FZW

I would say Bungie's arrogance cost Bungie $2.5 million dollars.

90% overall score is a really tough mark to aim for, as evidenced by the reviews Destiny is receiving.

i dont understand the use of this word here, what did they do that made them seem arrogant?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
It's absurd that a 77 is considered not very good for a video game. Obviously Destiny with the large amounts of money invested in it "should" have got a higher score, but how on earth have we come to the point where 77 is mediocre?

antitrop

I'm disappointed that Jason is one of the many that feels like Destiny is a game that can't properly be reviewed until well over a week after it has been sitting on store shelves.

I also don't like how he almost implies that Bungie are inherently owed the bonus and that it's his own peers' faults that Bungie had something so deserved wrongfully taken away from them for all their incredible work on such a near-perfect game.

Dahbomb

This is the least of Bungie's concerns right about now. They have lost a lot of street cred with their core audience. Most people are not going to fall for their arrogant shit again.

Good news for them is that the game still sold a fuck ton so neither they nor Destiny is going anywhere anytime soon.

Abounder

Banned
It's absurd that a 77 is considered not very good for a video game. Obviously Destiny with the large amounts of money invested in it "should" have got a higher score, but how on earth have we come to the point where 77 is mediocre?

Use the American gradeschool system and 77 is closer to average (C) than not. And considering Bungie's history it's disappointing as well.

Cornbread78

Us, the "entitled gamers" are now demanding perfection in each and every realease. We are part of the problem for the demise of the middle tier studios. If you look at it, Indies are okay if they are fun, but have flaws, but AAA must be perfect these days or it gets trashed by us, even minor flaws are blown up to be huge unplayable issues with threats to boycot games and disk burnings.... Devs are in a no-win situation now because of ourselves pretty much.... go figure.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
500 Million is taken out of context anyways.

It was just Bobby Kotick saying offhandedly they'd probably end up spending that much marketing the franchise as a whole over the whole length of the deal.

I thought most GAFers knew this already, but I guess I was wrong.

Arrogance regarding what exactly?
i dont understand the use of this word here, what did they do that made them seem arrogant?

I'm gonna go ahead and defend that guy's choice of words. Arrogant is exactly the impression I have gotten from Bungie lately, whether it's in interviews or just looking at the game itself. I really get an Apple feel from Destiny - by that I mean instead of giving players choice, Bungie has made choices for us, because sometimes our preferences are "wrong." Examples would be things like zero audio options or no mic chat in multiplayer (I had no problem muting people in Halo).

Add to that the marketing and the way DeeJ has been writing his self-important weekly updates, as if Destiny is the greatest fucking thing ever, and "arrogance" makes a lot of sense.

I am still really enjoying the game but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't soured by a few things so far.

antitrop

Use the American gradeschool system and 77 is closer to average (C) than not. And considering Bungie's history it's disappointing as well.

Let's just take a look at Bungie's history, for reference.

w7ekyvk.png

HariKari

Because of the tendency to grade things like schoolwork, the effective range is more 60-100 I'd say. So, by that measure, it's not very good.

Dahbomb

Its the school grade system. 77 is a C at most schools which is decidedly average. And that's what the reviews are communicating.... Destiny is an average game. Above average game play feel and visuals but below average most other features.

I think Bungie was in over their heads. Just too ambitious.

It's anything but ambitious. Compared to what they said about the game before release, they've significantly under-delivered. I'm not exploring planets; I'm doing cookie-cutter missions on the same maps over and over again. I'm not travelling between planets; I'm hitting 'X' and watching a loading screen. The list goes on.

Empty

i wonder if this an outdated thing. a few years ago it made sense as the best selling games (at least in the traditional, core demo) also got big reviews and it was an essential part of marketing cycle, but now it feels like it doesn't really matter for sales of games like destiny or watch dogs. in the same way that summer blockbuster films don't really care about their rotten tomatoes or metacritic.

Costing is hardly fair, if you fail to earn something, someone didn't take something away from you.

yes. also this.

Nocturno999

The game is easily a 5~6 but the score is getting inflated by a bunch of clown sites.

yurinka

I have playerd around 15 hours and I'm loving it.

Some reviewers seems to be angry because they couldn't play it before release, and others because isn't Microsoft exclusive so focused when reviewing in the supposed bad things of the game. Even some people lied about the endgame talking about it when it was impossible they completed the game when said it.

This must make Activision really happy because they saved $2.5B in bonus, plus having to invite gaming 'journalists' to review events etc. And they are selling a shit ton of copies, so they now know that they can totally skip the gaming press for upcoming games.

zero audio options or no mic chat in multiplayer (I had no problem muting people in Halo).
I have audio options, at least to choose if I get the game music & sounds in the tv or in the headset while playing online. Tried voice chat for the first time in PS4 with this game while playing coop with my friends and works flawlessly.

Megasoum

Banned
WTF Jason... Since when a 77 is a "esoundingly mediocre review scores"???

Of course the scores are lower than what Bungie/Activision expected but it's far from Mediocre.

They should pay their fans $2.5 millions to pay this fucking game. Gosh, so much potential wasted.

I didn't deserve high scores. Trying to play a story mission solo and 3 times at the end of the mission it said I was no longer connected to the server... The first time I had to start again the other two it put me back before the last fight... I was so annoyed and was almost done with it.

It is a filler for September as I have Forza H, Bayo 2 and Sunset Overdrive out that month, and this game will be forgotten by me by Christmas.

I was able to play Borderlands 1 and 2 by myself, but it feels like there is half a game missing

Isn't SO coming on October 28?

Dahbomb

I am surprised more game companies don't do this more often.

Activision can completely get away with not sending out review copies of Call of Duty.

AkuMifune

Banned
Curious. I wonder if Bungie would have cause to dispute this if they could prove Activision forced the game out before it was ready and thus it's not representative of the product they wanted to release.

But they signed the damn contract and should have realized that creating a neat story is half the reason people loved them.

I wanted more lore, not more loot.

Kill3r7

reviews might maybe change day 1 revenue by 0.5% and lifetime by even less than that?

If we ever needed solid proof reviews dont matter

Reviews don't matter if they come out after release especially for major AAA games where the hype train is in full force. If the Marketing/PR department does its job well and drums up enough hype then the game will sell regardless of its quality. Destiny and Watchdogs backs this assertion up.

Cornbread78

The game is easily a 5~6 but the score is getting inflated by a bunch of clown sites.

How do opinions work? Game reviews are opinions, not facts..... You can;t denounce an entire website because of an unbiased review. It's the biased reviews that we shjould be able to throw in the garbage and not even count.

I have no skin in the game either way, I'm just sayin'...

Astral Dog

Hey, its not like it didnt sold ALOT, instead of feeling sad about them, they should take this oportunity to learn an deliver a better product next time, not every game can or should get a 90 on Metacritic.

antitrop

Destiny is an outstanding FPS, but a lame MMORPG. It doesn't deserve a 90/100.
It's a good FPS, at best. By design, it can never be an outstanding FPS, because it's too beholden to traditional MMORPG trappings to ever stand with a series like Halo.

It also fails at being its own thing, which is why I dislike it so much. It doesn't feel new or original, it feels like a bunch of shit I've already played before smashed together with poor execution.

It's anything but ambitious. Compared to what they said about the game before release, they've significantly under-delivered. I'm not exploring planets; I'm doing cookie-cutter missions on the same maps over and over again. I'm not travelling between planets; I'm hitting 'X' and watching a loading screen. The list goes on.
Good point.

Although you could say those were their ambitions at first but then when they realized it wouldn't be possible, they had to cut all that stuff out, meaning too ambitious. You're right, tho.

Rembrandt

Banned
Well it's not as bad as that Fallout: New Vegas bonus payout where Obsidian missed the target score aggregate by a single percent and lost the bonus because of it.

EDIT: Arses, beaten.

If I were a reviewer, I would give it a higher score for them to hit that bonus because fuck, that's dirty.

monome

Hey, its not like it didnt sold ALOT, instead of feeling sad about them, they should take this oportunity to learn an deliver a better product next time, not every game can or should get a 90 on Metacritic.

the deal was more about Activision floating Bungie for 10 years than making some sweet doughs every 2/3 years.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I think it's absurd to tie such a bonus to a Metacritic score and it doesn't help the game makers the publishers the reviewers or the gamers. I know this has been said a billion times before. Metacritic is not science (tm)

It's unfortunate that there isn't a behind the scenes write up on Destiny.

All we have are Blue Sky Thinking videos produced by Bungie.

Top Bottom