• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Vita reviews are in

Derrick01

Banned
I don't even like the LBP games very much but I always get sucked in to buying them. Adding this to my rapidly growing Vita list *sigh*

The more I think about the new memoriser tool the more wild my imagination gets. This has opened a whole new realm of possibilities.

But... Vita has no games!

@KazHiraiCEO

"LittleBigPlanet Vita gives consumers tools to make their own games. Therefore it's their own fault if they don't have enough new Vita games"

Skyzard

Banned
Well, he means for a user-created level. Progress can be saved so you can go back to that level down the line and your stats/progress will be saved.

...and it can be saved locally too right? The whole level I mean - for offline play on your vita?

v0mitg0d

I've played through it and just had a blast! I'm not so sure I agree that it's the best LBP, as some reviewers are declaring, however it is a must-buy for Vita owners. Oh and building stuff with the touch screen is pretty great.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :)

BTW for those interested. I'm giving away a free copy of the game (soon-ish) on my Twitter feed cuss I <3 yew.

https://twitter.com/heymarkd

The more I think about the new memoriser tool the more wild my imagination gets. This has opened a whole realm of possibilities.

@KazHiraiCEO

"LittleBigPlanet Vita gives consumers tools to make their own games. Therefore it's their own fault if they don't have enough new Vita games"

*BOWS to Lord Hirai*

patsu

it does.. people on my PSN list have complained about me sending out Near Challenges (even though I did not send any)..

That's great ! Then we should up the ante one more. It should support Near + SkyHook ! 8^P
Let the creators have access to those, and let them go wild.

Skyzard

Banned
I've played through it and just had a blast! I'm not so sure I agree that it's the best LBP, as some reviewers are declaring, however it is a must-buy for Vita owners. Oh and building stuff with the touch screen is pretty great.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! :)

BTW for those interested. I'm giving away a free copy of the game (soon-ish) on my Twitter feed cuss I <3 yew.

https://twitter.com/heymarkd

How bad were the loading times? [IGN mentioned in closing comments]
What makes the other versions better? [If it is the story levels I wouldn't care too much as I'm super excited for user generated stuff]

And how much did you feel the controls improve? (responsiveness)

No demo/beta access here.... Thanks

Yeah, I was downloading all kinds of levels to my Vita to play offline in the beta.

Yes. Local saves are really, really cool.

Good! Damn right, they're basically essential imo - but not a lot of games have em! (For ease of playing//long-term server access). Thanks for the confirmation guys.

KalBalboa

Banned
Sounds awesome! Will buy when I get a Vita.

But... Vita has no games!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not! My love for the Vita conflicts me as I stare at your post alongside my Vita's homescreen populated by Sound Shapes, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Wipeout, Escape Plan, and Super Stardust!

...and my PSone games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sounds fantastic. There is always a little trepidation when a franchise is handed off to a separate team, so glad to see it done well.

How big is the game? Its something I'd consider downloading to always have on me, but if its huge I might go physical and then just keep it in my card slot (once i'm done with MGS)

The more I think about the new memoriser tool the more wild my imagination gets. This has opened a whole new realm of possibilities.

@KazHiraiCEO

about the vita has no games thing, when I saw ps mobile trailer at gamescom, some of the game shown there actually looks pretty damn good and interesting. as long as Sony is not being stupid and only release ps mobile with 15 games instead of just let the lid go off and have lots of title available day one, it's gonna be very exciting for ps mobile.

nofi

sounds fantastic. There is always a little trepidation when a franchise is handed off to a separate team, so glad to see it done well.

How big is the game? Its something I'd consider downloading to always have on me, but if its huge I might go physical and then just keep it in my card slot (once i'm done with MGS)

Filesize is 1.6 GB, if that's what you mean. The main story mode is five worlds plus a bonus.

ascii42

I really don't need any more games right now...but I have to support this.

I should really get around to beating LBP PSP.

slider

Heh, I found parts of LBP2 quite hard. Hoping, with all the input methods on offer, I don't fail on this one.

Just fired up my Vita to DL the latest FW and finish DL'ing Golden Abyss and a few others in the queue so I can check how much room is left on the memory card in anticipation of LBPV.

EDIT: I've only checked out the Verge review but I have to say the image that opens the article is glorious (the Creation of Adam-esque one).

Trevelyan

Banned
This is all very exciting. Can't wait to play the game in 2 weeks. I think what I enjoy the most of all this is that Tarsier and Double Eleven certainly seem like very capable studios, and I'd like to see them make an original IP for Sony on the Vita now. Guess we'll see

v0mitg0d

questions

How bad were the loading times?
Ok-ish. They didn't bother me too much because once the level loads you're good to go, but yes they seemed to take somewhere on an average of 30 seconds.

What makes the other versions better?
Mainly because playing LBP for the first time was so memorable--nothing like it.

And how much did you feel the controls improve?

They're the exact same floaty controls we know and love (?). I'm fine with it, but I know some people find it to be a real turn off.

KAL2006

Banned
Watched the IGN video review and I am hyped. I had the PS3 versions and barely played them, but this game seems like the perfect fit for handhelds. I had the same problem with Virtua Tennis 4 and UMvC3 which I barely played on PS3, but on Vita I play regularly. Sony should start a good marketing campaign with LittleBigPlanet and the new white Vita.

george_us

Damn, didn't think it'd score this high. I wasn't planning on buying any games in September but Borderlands 2 and LBP Vita look amazing.

patsu

Has anyone created a LBP version of an anime game ? I'm kinda curious to see an LBP level dressed in anime aesthetic and mechanics. ^_^

DrewM1788

Is it possible (and easier) to make non side scrolling games in this one?I want to be able to make an rpg without needing to go through complex hoops to make it work.

So excited, what I've played from the beta was amazing. I need it in my Vita. I plan on getting another plat or so before this launches so I can work at hammering out the trophies in the game as I play it. Hopefully it doesn't have laughable online trophies though (damn those hearts!)

That Sack Boy Whack-a-Mole minigame looks adorable.
ibrcnhW8t2K8Uz.jpg

Heh. I think donkey show worked on that one.

Vitacat

:lol

Sony still hasn't cut the price on a lot of games that received retail price cuts.

Which drives me nuts... I want so badly to go full digital. I even have a 32GB Vita card. But man, those NA PSN prices are (apparently) set in frikkin stone. I really do think they'd make way more money in volume DD sales if they'd lower prices in general. No box, no shipping, no trades/resales, increased memory card sales... it's all gravy

I thought most PSN Vita games were getting 10% discounts?

Not quite. Yes, it's true when games like Wipeout 2048 launched, it was $40 retail, and $36 digital. But since then Wipeout (and many other Vita games) have had their MSRP lowered to $20. On PSN, still $36. In general, you can find just about any Vita game retail for less (often MUCH less) than digital. There is absolutely no sign of market pricing awareness on PSN.

Looking fantastic.

I've heard that the jumping is a bit more refined in this one (less floaty). Is there any truth to that?

I posted this in the Vita thread:

Yup. I should definitely peek my head in more. xD

To clarify for corrosive's post, you could basically say it's less floaty (as I'm presuming what most of us has in our heads thanks to 1/2). Much easier to do precise platforming and has a little extra weight due to less travel times when stopping, quicker response to controller inputs, etc. If we were to change the dynamics completely, it might as well have been a different game. If you've played the franchise before and try this out, you'll feel it's been altered mechanically (for the better) but is still LBP at the core.

Whether or not that last bit is still a deal breaker, it's understandable. :)

If you play LBP2 and Vita side by side, the difference is there. It's not like Sackboy became Mario though, so don't put your expectations in it.

Is it tarsier or double eleven that is made up of former R* Leeds people? I know they both have exclusive agreements with SCEE.
It's Double Eleven.

Heh. I think donkey show worked on that one.

It's much cuter than when I first started on it. xD

Skyzard

Banned
How bad were the loading times?
Ok-ish. They didn't bother me too much because once the level loads you're good to go, but yes they seemed to take somewhere on an average of 30 seconds.

What makes the other versions better?
Mainly because playing LBP for the first time was so memorable--nothing like it.

And how much did you feel the controls improve?

They're the exact same floaty controls we know and love (?). I'm fine with it, but I know some people find it to be a real turn off.

Thanks for the responses although about the controls it seems the response improvements they made may have been quite slight - so perhaps not everyone noticed. Still, I'm sure I'll appreciate them as it was really noticeably bad for me in LBP1 (response lag/something just not feeling quite right).

30 seconds isn't bad and I know what you mean about first-time playing LBP. Hoping to get back to that feeling with this version - left LBP unfinished quite early and never came back to the series.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Day one DD, my memory card awaits. #1 reason I bought a Vita.

W1SSY

Haven't played LBP since the first even though I got the second one from PS+. With this many positive reviews it looks like I will be picking it up day one. Going to go digital because the "Future" and I hate switching games.

Haven't played LBP since the first even though I got the second one from PS+. With this many positive reviews it looks like I will be picking it up day one. Going to go digital because the "Future" and I hate switching games.

There have been monumental improvements since the first LBP. You're in for a pleasant surprise. :)

B.O.O.M

Will my love for the Vita beat out my irrational hatred of LBP?

Only one way to find out!

OT: Excellent scores...way higher than I expected. COngrats to Tarsier! I think LBP has found its new home, the console home and the dev home.

Damn man vita first year is filled with such a fantastic line up of high quality games. Now I want AC Liberations to deliver and it will be perfect

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I played this at E3 this year, and it was simply wonderful. The touch screen is perfect for LBP, and the way they utilized it in the levels I played was very creative.

I've had this baby pre-ordered at Amazon since last year, so I can't wait to finally have it in my Vita.

v0mitg0d

Thanks for the responses although about the controls it seems the response improvements they made may have been quite slight - so perhaps not everyone noticed. Still, I'm sure I'll appreciate them as it was really noticeably bad for me in LBP1 (response lag/something just not feeling quite right).

30 seconds isn't bad and I know what you mean about first-time playing LBP. Hoping to get back to that feeling with this version - left LBP unfinished quite early and never came back to the series.

You're welcome! :)

...and I just have to add--the game is goddamn gorgeous too!

Top Bottom