• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Sanctuary

The Graveyard boss is fantastic in every way (except for the framerate, of course). On my STR-luck based, both his minions and the boss was cake - but on my LUCK-based character I had to really adapt. Abusing his whirlwind move to destroy his own minions and making sure to cram out as much damage as possible during his AoE-explosion-animation.

4 minutes to kill on STR
16 minutes to kill on LUCK

Truly a great boss overall.

What is the point of a luck based character? At 0 Luck you still end up with a surplus of items you'll never use.

I want to try out everything that the game has to offer! It's basically like a magic find character in Diablo 2 :lol

Except not really. The item drops in this game are nowhere near as rare.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What is the point of a luck based character? At 0 Luck you still end up with a surplus of items you'll never use.

Except not really. The item drops in this game are nowhere near as rare.
No; no, I was just explaining the basis of what luck is :p I wasn't comparing it with D2 in the way you think I was doing :lol

You know what sucks? The game crashing and losing about 2.5 hours worth of game time and very high XP multiplier... thanks! I opened a door in the
catacombs
and went to open a chest, right as one of those
spider things
dropped from the roof. I was in the middle of holding triangle to get it when it attacked and boom. Progress lost. Maybe I should have use a checkpoint in that time, but I was on a roll and nothing was stopping me. Except that.

That shit is really disheartening. Haven't seen crashes like that in so long.

Jinaar

You know what sucks? The game crashing and losing about 2.5 hours worth of game time and very high XP multiplier... thanks! .

Agreed, the crashes are awful in this game. But you should ALWAYS be saving your game. It doesn't effect your XP multiplier at all. Save save save constantly.

SLOSifl

You know what sucks? The game crashing and losing about 2.5 hours worth of game time and very high XP multiplier... thanks! I opened a door in the
catacombs
spider things
dropped from the roof. I was in the middle of holding triangle to get it when it attacked and boom. Progress lost. Maybe I should have use a checkpoint in that time, but I was on a roll and nothing was stopping me. Except that.

You can use checkpoints and maintain your multiplier, you just can't bank any experience. How else would you be able to save the game?

SLOSifl

Thanks for the help, I'm trying it again now.
But I really can't block the attacks of the "normal" enemies during that boss fight. It's impossible.
Get away from the boss and kill them, or break their cocoons before they hatch. Roll instead of blocking their attacks if you can't block them for some reason (hint: probably because you are using a low block shield, don't have the stats to wield it, or are out of stamina). Or go level up a bit and pick better armor or weapons.

Sorry about the double post. Here is a video of my killing Infiltrator on my first playthrough. Had a terrible start but it worked out in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-0u00lUDc

Get away from the boss and kill them, or break their cocoons before they hatch. Roll instead of blocking their attacks if you can't block them for some reason (hint: probably because you are using a low block shield, don't have the stats to wield it, or are out of stamina). Or go level up a bit and pick better armor or weapons.

Sorry about the double post. Here is a video of my killing Infiltrator on my first playthrough. Had a terrible start but it worked out in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN-0u00lUDc

Finally killed him. Took me 15 minutes, lol. The shield was the reason why I had no chance.

Ricker

it is a hard game, although I still feel that the souls series feels a bit more polished in comparison.

It is hard but not as hard as the Souls game...I never could finish a Souls game and I will probably finish this one,playing with the hardest character,Rogue.

Ferr986

Well, to be honest the souls games were no different. STR builds are always the "easiest" builds.

I dont think so. I mean sure, some builds are better, but all are way more viable than here

Read my post about about the shield ramming bug. It's not limited to STR builds. I just tried it out on my Rogue using the Harmony buckler and it killed those large tower shield knights that usually you just bounce off of when trying to bash open their defense when not using at least a kite shield.

Also, I'm not sure how far into the game you are, but even doing it the non exploity way, bosses don't take that long to kill, even as an AGI character.

Thanks, But I want to try to avoid bugs.

Btw, I just got a flawless luck rune, those seems to up your dmg a lot.

Agreed, the crashes are awful in this game. But you should ALWAYS be saving your game. It doesn't effect your XP multiplier at all. Save save save constantly.

You can use checkpoints and maintain your multiplier, you just can't bank any experience. How else would you be able to save the game?

As I said, I probably should've used a checkpoint in that time but it didn't even register with me. I kind of hit that groove where everything is clicking and I just blew through everything. Barely any damage being taken, full stack of health items, etc. I actually had intentions to go find a checkpoint right after that because at that point I had gone through almost everything quite thoroughly and was about to go fight the boss,
because the checkpoint is right outside his gate.

I tend to be the one to save constantly whenever possible, like almost obsessively so, but in this case, I just didn't even bother. I was saving before that location constantly too. The one time... THE ONE TIME!

That said, this game needed a bit more time for polish. The crashing is ridiculous, especially for a game that even gives you a "hint" in the menu that there are great things for the those who don't use checkpoints often or something like that, which I saw when I booted up the game after to see what progress I lost. Like salt in the wound.

Oh well. Live and learn.

jonno394

Took me about 6 attempts to defeat The Worshipper. Ended going all light on equipment and using the monks staff to get quick attacks in which at the same time are quite powerful.

Didn't realise you could use the gauntlet to shoot distant targets without a lock on (for the cocoons). Once I found that trick out the boss was pretty easy. .

Zeliard

Well, to be honest the souls games were no different. STR builds are always the "easiest" builds.

It isn't nearly as imbalanced in Souls as in this game. Rolling is much slower and leaves almost no opportunity for a counterattack, whereas in Souls rolling is just as important for creating offensive openings as it is actually dodging.

Going no-shield further imbalances things as shield bash here is just laughably effective.

Wear heavy armor and use a big shield and STR weapon and you can just faceroll everything in LoF with barely a scratch.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Just send the mail to the developer with a link to this thread. I hope they read it and maybe answer.
will tell you about anything new.

Ricker

Frequent crashes? On what platform? That may steer me away from this game (upcoming B2G1 at Target).

Mostly on PC...I have the PS4 version and I had one random crash in 20 hours on my level 55 Rogue...going in to try and finish the game this afternoon,I am up to the Guardian Boss,which doesnt seem that hard and well after who knows lol...

What level where you guys that finish the game at....?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just send the mail to the developer with a link to this thread. I hope they read it and maybe answer.
will tell you about anything new.

THANK YOU.

Ricker

A letter to the developpers is not something I should do right now lol...the Guardian Boss before going to the Annihilator section is all kind of BS again with a Rogue and that slow down when you lock on,almost impossible to do...

lionpants

A letter to the developpers is not something I should do right now lol...the Guardian Boss before going to the Annihilator section is all kind of BS again with a Rogue and that slow down when you lock on,almost impossible to do...
That's what causes it? I almost chucked my controller last night on Worshiper after getting cheesed by the lockup.

Are you guys with all the lock-ups and crashes and frame rate dips playing on PC? Because I've seen exactly one crash early on with the PS4 version, and that was the end of it. I'm about 17 hours in, now.

ZangBa

I think the real problem with a luck based character is there something in the game, whether it be a bug or mechanic, drains your luck stat. Both of my characters have 0 luck right now.

Ricker

Are you guys with all the lock-ups and crashes and frame rate dips playing on PC? Because I've seen exactly one crash early on with the PS4 version, and that was the end of it. I'm about 17 hours in, now.

No I meant the lock on on the ennemies,not the game locking up lol...sorry bout that.

The bosses in this game are a joke. The most frustrating bosses I've ever seen. Not because it's difficult (like in DS). No, they are cheap as hell. Every boss so far spawns new enemies during the fight.This is fuckin' ridiculous. Did they really think these are fun boss fights?

burgerdog

The bosses in this game are a joke. The most frustrating bosses I've ever seen. Not because it's difficult (like in DS). No, they are cheap as hell. Every boss so far spawns new enemies during the fight.This is fuckin' ridiculous. Did they really think these are fun boss fights?

Every boss? What did the first boss summon?

Yoshichan

I'd rather fight a boss that summons adds while becoming invulnerable to attacks rather than having to fight a boss with 2-5 adds from start.

Yes, I'm talking about Dark Souls 2 where I felt that almost every boss had small enemy companions.

blado

I'm still getting driver crashes on my Nvidia 780 only with this game. I've tried reducing my overclock and everything, but no luck. I've set physx to CPU and have disabled physx and vsync, but no luck. Does anyone know of any potential fixes other than waiting for a patch?

SLOSifl

I can think of three bosses that summon minions, and one of them doesn't even fight during the add phases. The other two will kill the adds if you just avoid them.

Yoshichan

Let's go through them one by one, shall we?

First Warden:
no enemy companions.
Commander:
summons enemy companions while becoming invulnerable (he doesn't attack during this stage unless you kill the trash very slowly).
Graveyard boss:
summons enemy companions - part of the fight is to let the boss whirlwind his own minions, so they're not really "solo adds".
Infiltrator:
no enemy companions.
Champion:
no enemy companions.
Beast:
no enemy companions.
Guardian:
no enemy companions.
Annihilator:
no enemy companions.
Lost Brothers:
no enemy companions (but rather, the Ornstein & Smough of this game).
Final boss:
enemy companions but
they get demolished by the boss if you survive that particular phase that lasts less than 10 seconds.

So really, guys? Let's no hyperbole about this whole adds-on-boss-thingy. TWO/THREE out of TEN bosses requires you to defeat trash.

Yoshichan

ZangBa

Let's go through them one by one, shall we?

First Warden:
no enemy companions.
Commander:
summons enemy companions while becoming invulnerable (he doesn't attack during this stage unless you kill the trash very slowly).
Graveyard boss:
summons enemy companions - part of the fight is to let the boss whirlwind his own minions, so they're not really "solo adds".
Infiltrator:
no enemy companions.
Champion:
no enemy companions.
Beast:
no enemy companions.
Guardian:
no enemy companions.
Annihilator:
no enemy companions.
Lost Brothers:
no enemy companions (but rather, the Ornstein & Smough of this game).
Final boss:
enemy companions but
they get demolished by the boss if you survive that particular phase that lasts less than 10 seconds.

So really, guys? Let's no hyperbole about this whole adds-on-boss-thingy. TWO/THREE out of TEN bosses requires you to defeat trash.

People who barely play the game pass judgement, or those who don't play at all and write the game off for no real reason other than following popular opinion. This is just how it is nowadays.

Yoshichan

People who barely play the game pass judgement, or those who don't play at all and write the game off for no real reason other than following popular opinion. This is just how it is nowadays.
Could you re-edit your post so that it includes my spoiler tags :)?

ak1276

Banned
Okay, I didn't count the first boss because it still was the tutorial.

edit: Aaaaaahh spoiler Yoshichan ^^ . I said "so far" btw :p

So you're either
3 bosses
into the game, and made a hyperbolic statement, or you're at the
very end of the game
and made a hyperbolic statement.

Either way, congratulations on using a ridiculous rhetorical device.

Yoshichan

Nah let's not be harsh here - it's easy to say something out of frustration (trust me on this one) especially in games like these. Keep us updated The perfect Dark and feel free to ask any questions :)!

Aaron

I'm still getting driver crashes on my Nvidia 780 only with this game. I've tried reducing my overclock and everything, but no luck. I've set physx to CPU and have disabled physx and vsync, but no luck. Does anyone know of any potential fixes other than waiting for a patch?
Reducing resolution will buy you a little time, but the problem is due to a memory leak so it'll crash on you eventually. The only real solution is buying a non-Nvidia card.

Nah let's not be harsh here - it's easy to say something out of frustration (trust me on this one) especially in games like these. Keep us updated The perfect Dark and feel free to ask any questions :)!

hehe thanks. Yeah, I don't know if it's just frustration though. I like boss fights and I want to enjoy them like in Dark Souls but I hate it when developers think that they have to "distract" the players by spawning normal enemies. I mean...this is called "boss fight" so you should be fighting a boss and not small ....."things"(?) ^^

Yoshichan

Hmm, I was a bit rough on Dark Souls 2. Despite loving the game to death, I've always felt that the bosses involves too much trash-killing. But now that I went through every boss, it really isn't that bad.

The Last Giant: no adds
The Pursuer: no adds
Executioner's Chariot: plenty of small adds
Looking Knight: one add
The Lords: plenty of small adds
Flexile Sentry: no adds
Lost Sinner: no adds
Belfry Gargoyles: plenty (6?) copies of the same boss
Ruin Sentinels: three of the same boss
Royal Vanguard: plenty of small adds
Royal Authority: plenty of small adds
Scorpioness Najka: no adds
Dear Freja: plenty of small adds
Mytha: no adds
The Rotten: no adds
Old Dragonslayer: no adds
Covetous Demon: no adds
Smelter Demon: no adds
Old Iron King: no adds
Guardian Dragon: no adds
Demon of Song no adds
Velstadt: no adds
Vendrick: no adds
Darklurker: adds
Dragonrider: no adds
Twin Dragonrider: Ornstein & Smough
Magus magi: (weak) adds
Giant Lord: no adds
Ancient Dragon: no adds
Throne Defender: two major bosses
Nashandra: no adds

11/31 bosses involves killing trash, or at least a fight with multiple enemies. Not bad at all.

Ferr986

To be fair I hate boss fights with trash mobs, more than boss fights with multiple targets.
Not saying this game have a lot of those, it doesnt. Its just one of my "not to do things" in games.

Anyways, It seems like Im nearing the end? It says that I have to defeat the last Lord.
I think I have around 15 hours of playtime. Pretty short game, although its true that I missed a lot of quests...

Hmm, I was a bit rough on Dark Souls 2. Despite loving the game to death, I've always felt that the bosses involves too much trash-killing. But now that I went through every boss, it really isn't that bad.

The Last Giant: no adds
The Pursuer: no adds
Executioner's Chariot: plenty of small adds
Looking Knight: one add
The Lords: plenty of small adds
Flexile Sentry: no adds
Lost Sinner: no adds
Belfry Gargoyles: plenty (6?) copies of the same boss
Ruin Sentinels: three of the same boss
Royal Vanguard: plenty of small adds
Royal Authority: plenty of small adds
Scorpioness Najka: no adds
Dear Freja: plenty of small adds
Mytha: no adds
The Rotten: no adds
Old Dragonslayer: no adds
Covetous Demon: no adds
Smelter Demon: no adds
Old Iron King: no adds
Guardian Dragon: no adds
Demon of Song no adds
Velstadt: no adds
Vendrick: no adds
Darklurker: adds
Dragonrider: no adds
Twin Dragonrider: Ornstein & Smough
Magus magi: (weak) adds
Giant Lord: no adds
Ancient Dragon: no adds
Throne Defender: two major bosses
Nashandra: no adds

11/31 bosses involves killing trash, or at least a fight with multiple enemies. Not bad at all.

Not fair to include multiple boss fights as adds. Also, some of the add heavy bosses are optional (like the Rats). And the Chariot boss kills the adds for you. Its also a fresh boss fight, compared to the usual boss spawning adds like the Worshipper in Lords or the Rats in DkS2.

Freja for example annoyed me with the adds (even if the fight was really easy) with the laser bait).

ZangBa

Flexile Sentry and The Lost Sinner were the absolute worst bosses in the game NG+ onwards pre-nerf. Nothing says adding new mechanics like annoying mobs.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I really hope this has done well for CI Games and Deck13. I want more Lords because they've nailed the in-between Souls feel but at the same time done their own thing. Can't wait.

Still waiting for my copy to be shipped tomorrow.

I have the PS4 version. Yay or nay GAF? I've never played the Souls games before though...

Plopboy

Unconfirmed Member
So um, hey guys; I just discovered the most broken technique in the entire game. This isn't just hyperbole. It's fucking ridiculous.

You think parry/riposte or backstab do good damage? Do you agree that jumping two-handed R2 attacks with a STR based weapon does some crazy shit? Okay.

Wanna know how to do even more damage and for less energy AND at almost no risk?

I've been experimenting with a new STR build, and messing around using weapons I didn't use much before. I typically do the running shield bash (L1 while sprinting) to open up the tower shield guys, both large and small. It also seemed to be the only way for a STR based character to open them up until much later, and if you have 3/3 Ram.

I wanted to see if Codex was fast enough to sneak a hit in, or if I could jumping attack R2 > R1. That kind of worked, but it took all my energy and wasn't that reliable. So I tried the shield bash. Normally I mash L1 since if I don't , sometimes the bash doesn't happen. I was out in a more open area when trying this and there were a bunch of enemies around, so I just ran through them and mashed L1. Uh, they all exploded except the Knight, who ended up near death.

WTF? So I tried ramming another one directly and mash L1. Didn't get the same results. Hmmm, so I tried sprinting while circle strafing and mashing L1...DEAD. Next I tried it out on the
First Warden enemy that spawns in the Cemetery after you enter the Keystone for the first time
, it absolutely shredded it to bit, and it cost less than a jumping R2 attack. The damage done by each L1 press is based off of the damage of your main hand, and it seems to be around 40%. So just use the most powerful weapon you can regardless of speed and sprint away. Sucks in narrow hallways, but you can avoid fighting in the hallways for pretty much everything besides maybe a single knight.

I haven't tried this on bosses yet, but holy shit. It just demolishes every single normal enemy even more than what you could already do as a STR build. Can anyone say "Charging Star"?

Yep it even works on bosses, I recorded the end of a fight against one of the later bosses which you can see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4gtpyql8A

kencey

catacombs
spider things

Yea, happened to me too. That's why i stopped playing on my main char, i'm waiting for the patch. Playing on alts now.

Top Bottom