• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Yeah, that's where you need to get to, I couldn't find a way either
so I just went around the outside, defeating the boss there. Didn't affect Yetka's quest.

Yeah. Just did the same. I was under the impression I shouldn't kill that guy... =/

Finally moving forward again.

yatesl

I have looked at strategies for The Beast and I have all it takes....why does my gauntlet do no damage all of a second,thats suppose to be the best way to kill him...also saw a video with a Warrior killing him almost in one shot using Mimic and a two hander....different story with a Rogue...time to retry later.

What weapon are you using? Use a staff instead of 2x daggers, double handed.

Is the Monk's Decipher worth buying for $2? I'm waiting to pick this up on a deal, and afraid the pre-order DLC won't come with it by then.

I just want to reiterate this point for those just starting: do not invest heavily in Faith. Put in some points for mana pool and gauntlet love if you want - but don't invest thinking there will be end-game items to use. Your main stat should be strength or agility.

I currently have 24 faith and it feels like a waste. I've been using the flame staff for almost the entire game it feels like, and while it seems really good, some variety would be nice. Meanwhile I'm picking up weapons and shields that require 20+ of either strength or agility.... I wish I could respec, but I used that shard a long time ago. =/

I'm kind of contemplating restarting, although I feel like I'm pretty close to the end.

I'm coming up on Annihilator. Could somebody spoiler tag how close to the end I am?

What does NG+ offer? Do I keep all my items? Harder difficulty?

Ricker

What weapon are you using? Use a staff instead of 2x daggers, double handed.

If I am doubled handed I cant use the gauntlet...just tried again,got him down to 3/4 but I hate how so many projectiles from the Gauntlet miss,even though I am locked on...when you get in close the camera gets all crazy,its an awful fight...

yatesl

If I am doubled handed I cant use the gauntlet...just tried again,got him down to 3/4 but I hate how so many projectiles from the Gauntly miss,even though I am locked on...when you get in close the camera gets all crazy,its an awful fight...

Don't bother using the gauntlet on him (plus, you can just switch on the fly?). Run up behind him and just swing away. If you're a rogue, I'm sure you've had practice rolling.

creyas

Is the Monk's Decipher worth buying for $2? I'm waiting to pick this up on a deal, and afraid the pre-order DLC won't come with it by then.

You get an equippable trinket that makes noise when you're near a secret, like a cracked wall to break. So if you don't really keep your eyes open and/or don't want to miss (minor) stuff, sure.

You get an equippable trinket that makes noise when you're near a secret, like a cracked wall to break. So if you don't really keep your eyes open and/or don't want to miss (minor) stuff, sure.
Thanks. So is there an actual side quest to acquire this trinket? I'm assuming for $2, it ain't much.

creyas

Thanks. So is there an actual side quest to complete to acquire this trinket? I'm assuming for $2, it ain't much.

You got that right. You have to look for three markings in the environment with the the furthest like
30 seconds
away from the quest giver.

e: Wow at the description: "Embark on a quest to decipher ancient runes in the Keystone Monastery and earn the right to wield The Compass."

Thanks. So is there an actual side quest to acquire this trinket? I'm assuming for $2, it ain't much.

You got that right. You have to look for three markings in the environment with the the furthest like
30 seconds

e: Wow at the description: "Embark on a quest to decipher ancient runes in the Keystone Monastery and earn the right to wield The Compass."

I was going to say avoid it, since I have it, and never even noticed it. But now that Creyas explains what it is, you're basically paying 2$ for an item. The quest is arbitrary and it just should've been a preorder item. That item description is really not genuine. With all that being said, I always have the item equipped. I'm a secrets whore and this helps me find them all.

Okay I've played one hour so far and this game is fuckin' awesome. This is Dark Souls...holy shit. The first boss was great (and not easy...I don't play as a warrior). The graphics are fantastic so far and it just feels....right. I don't care about the story or characters but the gameplay already seems to be on par with the souls series.
I really like the soundtrack btw.

My game crashes
when one specific little guy explodes in the demon realm. one of those who seem to be on fire constantly.

Gonna wait for a patch, got so much other shit to play right now.

PC. Nvidia 660.

By far what crashes me the most are those f'ing flaming rolling guys - right when they hit me and explode. So it wouldn't surprise me if it's some PhysX bullshit causing it. Wouldn't be the first time it caused rampant crashing in a game.

Vee_One

Performance for this game is shit on Xbox
Screen tearing is God awful, hopefully this gets patched. There was a 5 gig day once patch but it didn't seem to fix anything.

EDIT: The game seems pretty awesome though

I've had the game crash on me a few times. There's this weird glitch where an enemy will disappear and then reappear with full health. Very annoying.

IcyEyes

This game is pretty cool.
The art direction is totally awesome and finally a game where characters seems to have a "weight". This is awesome. I really loving it so far.

30 seconds

I was going to say avoid it, since I have it, and never even noticed it. But now that Creyas explains what it is, you're basically paying 2$ for an item. The quest is arbitrary and it just should've been a preorder item. That item description is really not genuine. With all that being said, I always have the item equipped. I'm a secrets whore and this helps me find them all.
Thanks guys, I think I may pass on it then. I'm a secrets whore as well, but half the enjoyment is in finding them for yourself.

On a side note, I do hope this game gets some sort of DLC down the line.

v0mitg0d

Lame question: How do you break walls? I'm using a shield + R2 to bash and it's not working.

What am I doing wrong?

tuna_love

Banned
Screen tearing is God awful, hopefully this gets patched. There was a 5 gig day once patch but it didn't seem to fix anything.

The game runs like shit on xbox at the starting area but seems a bit better in demon world or whatever it is

Animator

I bought this on impulse today. Seems pretty good so far 2-3 hours in. Runs like shit on the ps4 after getting used to smooth 60 fps dark souls 2 action on my PC but the gameplay is good so I am willing to overlook that for the time being.

One question, is there sound during dialogues or when you pick up those audio file scrolls because my game is completely mute during both and it looks like there should be audio there because it looks really silly when your character is talking on screen but no audio comes out.

Performance isn't good but it's nowhere near as shit as the souls games (played them on Ps3) so far. It's not great but it's playable.
I'm still at the beginning of the game and keep dying against the first
Spider
. I have no idea what to do but this is what I want from this game. This is why I love Dark/Demon Souls, The atmosphere is great, the graphics are really nice, the combat feels like Dark Souls It's fantastic so far...I mean...there are shortcuts......SHORTCUTS....so the world makes sense..hello Dark Souls 2, do you hear me?

Sanctuary

Restarted with warrior class. So much easier and more fun than rogue. There seems to be a lot more weapons as well for this class.

Yep. It's kind of absurd really. My first attempt at a playthrough was with the Cleric, which I dumped at around a third of the way through after realizing that increasing the "magic" stat did not appear to actually increase damage of spells or your gauntlet. It just increases your mana pool. On top of that, FTH has the weakest selections of weapons out of the three stats, which means you end up as a really weak melee character that can shoot mostly weak projectiles a few times more.

I then retsarted and did my first completion as a STR build. Good lord what a night and day difference it was. You do kind of stick with the same few weapons too until near the end, but they are just so strong and fun to use that it doesn't matter.

Today I just finished my Rogue run, and it was actually like a really shitty rollercoaster. Starts out ultra weak, and then right around the 2nd or 3rd boss starts shaping up and can wreck things, only to reach its peak around the halfway mark and then it flatlines and starts declining unless you forge a specific, somewhat secret staff near the end. Then, in the last area some pretty powerful items drop, but by then the game is over unless you really care to slog through NG+ on a character that was a chore to play with the majority of the time.

if you rush it, you can finish it pretty quickly. but there is alot to explore and if you play it a bit safe, it can take 15-20+ hours. im at 8.5 hours and i just killed the 4th boss.

What's hilarious is that the developers were saying that the game would take you around 15 hours if you just followed the main story, and that if you did all of the sidequests, it would take close to double that. It took me less than 15 to do my first complete run, and I was missing three things that I ended up doing on a next playthrough. Unless there's just some random quest in NG+, but replaying the entire game for a single quest or two doesn't count IMO. Same thing is going to happen with Dragon Age: Inquisition where Bioware is proclaiming 150 hours to do everything. It will probably take 30 - 50 hours for a "complete" playthrough with one character and everything else will just be dialogue options or quests that you were locked out of due to choices you had to make.

Also, just turn away from the flaming beasts when they explode and it shouldn't crash. Use the Prayer spell and turn away, or use Stab/Ram to kill them at a distance and turn away. If you don't use spells much at all, or don't have these, you're kind of out of luck. Most people would have at least the Prayer spell I think.

This game is pretty cool.
The art direction is totally awesome and finally a game where characters seems to have a "weight". This is awesome. I really loving it so far.

The game only feels "weighty" in regards to movement and attack speeds. It's just slow. As soon as you get swatted out of the air by a weak, light hitting attack while you're doing a jumping, two-handed R2 attack in pretty heavy armor, the illusion of "weight" is completely gone.

Performance isn't good but it's nowhere near as shit as the souls games (played them on Ps3) so far. It's not great but it's playable.
I'm still at the beginning of the game and keep dying against the first
Spider
. I have no idea what to do but this is what I want from this game. This is why I love Dark/Demon Souls, The atmosphere is great, the graphics are really nice, the combat feels like Dark Souls It's fantastic so far...I mean...there are shortcuts......SHORTCUTS....so the world makes sense..hello Dark Souls 2, do you hear me?

Yeah, it's nowhere near as "shit" as the Souls games performance wise, it's much worse (PC). Maybe once the game gets out of the beta stage one could claim it has better performance, but it doesn't. The console versions of the Souls games didn't constantly crash.

@ Sanctuary: I'm playing this game on XboxOne so I have no idea how it runs on PC. So far I don#t see any problems. The framerate is not good but it's playable...just like the souls games (on console).

Was having a good time with the game for the most part, but just unwillingly left a pretty unpleasant gaming session. First I got pushed off an edge and fell on a stairway. I was stuck between the floor and wall and couldn't move. Luckily (I guess?), there was another enemy at the bottom of the stairs, and his hitting me pushed me out of the stuck position and gave me control back. Played for a little bit longer after that, and then the game crashed to the PS4 dashboard. Definitely hurts since I had gathered quite a bit of experience and was 2 hits away from killing a tougher monster.

Should have just waited for a Steam sale, but I had 50 bucks in my Playstation wallet and have been looking for a new game to play. Just have to cool off from that unfortunate session, and try to enjoy it again.

Zeliard

Crashing at the worst possible times. I had to kill Annihilator three times because my game crashed soon after the victory the first two times. I took one of those opportunities to kill him naked and get the take no damage vs a boss achievement, just to try and make an otherwise plodding fight a bit more interesting.

And recently right on the verge of killing
Lost Brothers
it crashed yet again.

It's like it's purposefully trying to end things on a sour note.

Sanctuary

What's the best rune you've gotten gaf?

Flawless Luck in weapons for scaling, or Flawless Poison in weapons if you're playing with quicker weapons like daggers or claws. Flawless Fire in your gauntlet (projectile).

Otherwise it's just Flawless Luck for energy reduction on block for shields, or an element in shields for resistance. Then there's also runes for increasing carrying capacity as well as armor.

All of the runes are randomized upon crafting, so you can simply game the system until you get what you want.

lionpants

I feel like I'm missing something here... playing as a warrior the slowness of my attacks are brutal, all the enemies attack faster. Getting really frustrated with this. It's infuriating to have a big attack winding up (swing takes like 2 seconds) and get knocked over or interrupted by a weak ass fast enemy.

The auto-targeting is also whack. Why can't I press up or down to target in a specific order, why is it only left and right and why does switching targets only work half the time.

burgerdog

Crashing at the worst possible times. I had to kill Annihilator three times because my game crashed soon after the victory the first two times. I took one of those opportunities to kill him naked and get the take no damage vs a boss achievement, just to try and make an otherwise plodding fight a bit more interesting.

And recently right on the verge of killing
Lost Brothers
it crashed yet again.

It's like it's purposefully trying to end things on a sour note.

The fire bro will crash the game 100% of the time when he breaths fire on the ground. He does it if you're within melee range and stick close to him. I had to attack him and roll back as fast as possible so the attack wouldn't hit me or the game would crash.

edit
Bum rush, there's a huge clue when he's down. Pay attention next time you deplete his life.

Pyro.

Finished the game this weekend. Loved it. I've tried the Dark Souls games, but never got far out of frustration. A lot of things this game just seemed to click better with me. Took me 27 hours. I took my time explored every nook and cranny I could.

The only thing I didn't get to do was find out how to get into the Gardens Entrance next to the Monastery. I saw a big golden chest in there through the gate, but never could figure out how to unlock the door down to it.

Can't wait to see whats next for the IP.

Ricker

Lame question: How do you break walls? I'm using a shield + R2 to bash and it's not working.

What am I doing wrong?

It's not R2 ,it's L1,well for me on the default control scheme.

They really need to fix the quests in this game if there's a sequel...I dont want a big yellow marker telling me where to go but somekind of journal to keep track of things at least...and maps would of been useful also...I am near the end now but I am not sure where to go,who to help,one tells me do this instead of that,go here instead of there etc etc...then they show you leave and sometimes enter,they could of worked on that...also I decide to put a poison rune in my projectile gauntlet and it cancels the one hit of 140 damage I was doing with Dots instead,which takes twice as much time to kill stuff...

Also how do you kill for good these annoying guys that kneel down when they are almost dead and regens themselves...? they are messing up the whole flow of the game...I killed a few but I am not even sure why they went down instead of kneeling like most of the time...EDIT: NM saw the spoiler,thought about that but it kinda leads nowhere...? ill check next time,need a break from the game for today.

I have to reach the Annihalator but also help Yetka,help one soldier way back in the Citadel and a few other things...the whole place is confusing,especially without a map.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Follow the red beam when they are kneeling, it leads to a container you must break and pick up their heart

Follow the red beam when they are kneeling, it leads to a container you must break and pick up their heart

I didn't even realize you could find it like that. I've always just lured the Tyrant away and then looked around the area. The vase with his heart is never particularly hidden, and it's always in the immediate vicinity.

Ricker

I feel like I'm missing something here... playing as a warrior the slowness of my attacks are brutal, all the enemies attack faster. Getting really frustrated with this. It's infuriating to have a big attack winding up (swing takes like 2 seconds) and get knocked over or interrupted by a weak ass fast enemy.

The auto-targeting is also whack. Why can't I press up or down to target in a specific order, why is it only left and right and why does switching targets only work half the time.

Some of the little annoying things you have to live with in this game...its pretty good but all those little things make it a frustrating mess at times.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I dunno about this game.

I'm at the part where you go into another dimension or something and it pulls the whole "the real demon's souls begins here" thing, but it seems like all they did was give the enemies a boat load of HP.

I have a great sword that does OK damage, but this thing is so ludicrously slow that it's simple not useable against fast opponents (read: all opponents) unless I was some kind of timing genius. The rest of my weapons require me to hit enemies like 10+ times to kill them. Couple that with every enemy being a defensive master with crazy invincibility frames or tower shields, and the fact that they throw you in a room with at least three enemies each time, and the whole targeting system being a bit shit, and you have for one frustrating experience.

Do you get a real weapon soon into this that makes things a bit more manageable? Is there something I'm missing that should make this less of a headache? I'm pretty close to just dumping the game.

For the record, I'm decent-ish at the Souls games and have completed them all multiple times.

Jinaar

15 hrs to do one play thru, got 36/46 Steam Achievements done. Really needs 3 play thrus to get all achievements but if you rush the other two, could take up to 20-25hrs to get full achievements.

Also on PC and flaming rolling dicks would always crash my game if they connect with me. Also one boss had flames on the ground which would also crash my game. Devs know about this and are going to patch it soon.

Just had to get thru it without getting hit. Crashed alot.

I really like the game. Will do a rogue run now.

AXE

I just want to reiterate this point for those just starting: do not invest heavily in Faith. Put in some points for mana pool and gauntlet love if you want - but don't invest thinking there will be end-game items to use. Your main stat should be strength or agility.

Anyone else can confirm this?

I've gone the Cleric way, hoping to play a character I don't usually play. I've gotten sh*tloads of STR-based weapons so I'm kinda afraid of what was quoted above.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone else can confirm this?

I've gone the Cleric way, hoping to play a character I don't usually play. I've gotten sh*tloads of STR-based weapons so I'm kinda afraid of what was quoted above.

not sure about the other spells, but the warrior / brawling spells need 21 faith to get 3/3, and thts where I stopped, at 21

The crashing. THE CRASHING!!!11

Can't make any fucking progress :mad:

Out of all the things they borrowed from Souls, why not the souls-style auto-saving? Gonna need to wait until they patch this thing.

I'm having way more fun with this than I ever had with Dark Souls II PVE (PVP is a different story). This world just feels so much more alive and reminds me of Demon's Souls. The whole
Catacombs
area with the
prison area
really reminded me of the Tower of Latria. I just feel like every time I get a new armor or weapon, I can see how much thought went into it, rather than just make a million different weapons that are all mostly generic (still love my Chaos Blade, though). Just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got it! Let's put a fucking platforming sequence in area that has a bunch of mist that tanks your frame rate! Enjoy falling to your death over and over because of janky ass jumping controls and a nice and choppy frame rate.

How did this get through any kind of play testing?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Huh.

Turns out a lot of enemies can be easily exploited with your running shield bash thing.

Lock onto a guy and hold down the run button and then spam your block button while circling the opponent. You can slam them over and over again with your shield and murder just about any foe. It's kind of finicky, but it works.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the lighter the shield the faster it is, allowing you to spam the attack faster.

Broken as hell.

Top Bottom