• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

nynt9

Do we have a decent PC/PS4 comparison yet? I have a beast of a PC but being able to shareplay this with my mates is very enticing so if the gap isn't massive I might get this on PS4.

Do we have a decent PC/PS4 comparison yet? I have a beast of a PC but being able to shareplay this with my mates is very enticing so if the gap isn't massive I might get this on PS4.

All I know is that the pc has more particle effects and can use xbox button prompts if you use a controller, it's suppose to be a good version as it was made along side and not a console to pc direct port.

jesu

Watched a few videos on youtube.
So close to buying it but keep hoping amazon.co.uk drop the price today.
I've told them it was cheaper elsewhere but those places have sold out now.
I'm not very sensitive to screen tearing and framerate drops so this game looks almost perfect for me.

Ricker

So yeah,the game is kinda hard...for now I cant even defeat the first Boss with a Rogue so I will try the Warrior and see if it's easier...I mean I came close on my 3rd try,one more stab and he was dead but he got me with his special move at the last second...

As for the tearing on the PS4,didnt notice anything yet but like I said,just at the beginning...also been a while since I played a game that makes you use the shoulder buttons to attack,use to the X,O type thing for hack and slash...

takoyaki

any news on the tearing and the day one patch on ps4?

I played the PS4 version unpatched while the patch was downloading. The tearing was very noticeable. After installing the patch, the tearing seems to be pretty much gone. The only problem left is the framerate; It's pretty solid when you are in smaller indoors environments, but it often drops when you enter large open spaces or when a lot of particle effects / lighting effects are in play. Another thing that reminds me of the Souls games on console ;)

Erekiddo

I'd really like to grab this on PC instead of PS4, if not to save $15 alone.

Can my PC run it effectively? I'm not the most proficient PC gamer as far as working out the specs.

Processor: Intel Core i5 4570 3.20 GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z87-C (Intel Z87 Chipset)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Series (High-Performance)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 2GB (Includes PhysX)

Corpekata

Banned
Game isn't out on PC for another 40 minutes, for people asking about it. Probably won't see much in depth about it till tonight.

So yeah,the game is kinda hard...for now I cant even defeat the first Boss with a Rogue so I will try the Warrior and see if it's easier...I mean I came close on my 3rd try,one more stab and he was dead but he got me with his special move at the last second...

As for the tearing on the PS4,didnt notice anything yet but like I said,just at the beginning...also been a while since I played a game that makes you use the shoulder buttons to attack,use to the X,O type thing for hack and slash...

I know you had issues with TEW difficulty. Though I'd say this game is much more unforgiving and harder then that. So not sure how you will do overall. Curious to hear more from you on the challenge.

Xander51

Played about 90 minutes of this last night on Xbox One. It's really cool! Had a few frame drops but I'm quite pleased with the visuals, especially for a paltry 6 gig download.

jesu

Found out it was releasing here tomorrow and I'd probably get it delivered a day or two before Sunset Overdrive, so pulled the trigger.

Parsnip

I'm going to wait until I hear some stuff about the post processing on PC.
Tried to ask from the devs on twitter (and specifically about chromatic aberration), but didn't get an answer so I'm going to hold for now.

Can my PC run it effectively? I'm not the most proficient PC gamer as far as working out the specs.

That is more than enough to run it good bro

NEO0MJ

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Lords_Of_The_Fallen-test-LordsOfTheFallen_1920.jpg

I saw that, but a PC performance thread where we can accurately share how well the game runs with various rigs would be better, especially post-path. Maybe I'll open one myself.

From the graph it seems like you should be able to handle it, though I don't think it will be better than a PS4. I wonder what they mean by VHQ in the graph, very high quality?

Picked this up at target with the $10 gift card for PS4 version

Enjoying the game but it runs like garbage, even after the patch. Horrible tearing even indoors.

Game itself is good though.

Kezen

Banned
From the graph it seems like you should be able to handle it, though I don't think it will be better than a PS4. I wonder what they mean by VHQ in the graph, very high quality?
VHQ = max quality. A 760 (with at least 3GB of VRAM) will play the game better than a PS4, and the PC has a few perks of its own (advanced Physx cloth and particles, Turbulence).

NEO0MJ

VHQ = max quality. A 760 (with at least 3GB of VRAM) will play the game better than a PS4, and the PC has a few perks of its own (advanced Physx cloth and particles, Turbulence).

Then yeah, his PC will probably run it better. My laptop's graphic card is slightly better than a 650 and has 2GB of vram so I don't think I can run it good.

Played for over 3 hours last night. Thought Id leave my impressions before I played some more.

Wearing armor makes the game much easier than being a rogue. Early in the game it's pretty much narrow corridors. Not much room to maneuver.

-Pros

1. combos make each weapon feel very unique. You can do some badass combos once u get the hang of it.

2. Straight forward items. i know what every item does without needing a wiki.

-Cons
1. Framerate isn't a steady 30.

2. I may not be far enough yet but the inventory system isn't great. Doesn't seem like you can sell or get rid of items. So as of now my inventory is everything I've got whether I want it or not.

The dividing factor on this game will be the difficulty. I've played 2 souls game passing on Dark 2 but never finish either. It seems the enemies don't do enough damage compared to Souls. It also seems to me some enemies in Lords have cheaper move sets, so maybe this is why.

So far I'm enjoying the game very much. Love the backstab animations for some of the weapons. I haven't got parrying down, but that's something to add to the arsenal. It doesn't have the tension of Souls and that's ok to me. the 7s it's getting is fairly accurate. If your looking for an easier Souls game this is for you. If you have player thru all 3 Souls games I don't think you'll be challenged much, but it's worth checking out.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah just as I thought dont care for the game too much. Outside of the risk vs reward exp system of building up more kills without spending exp or dying = more reward. Everything else dont care for at all since it tries to lift way too heavily from the Souls series design, then waters it down.

Seriously how the hell did something as major as a bug which causes voice audio to go dead make it way into the retail build. Other game play related bugs sure, but something as obvious as voice not playing and staying that way is a serious issue considering they are "attempting" to have some sort of story with the game.

Combat does not feel satisfying at all either.

For those who can wait Id say wait for a price drop. Or at least till more of this shit gets patched. Since if you want a SP story experience going to have one hell of a time putting up with the voices cutting off and am sure you people dont want to constantly turn the game on / off to fix it.

Am sure others will enjoy the title, but this is pretty much all I have to say about it.

Maffis

Played for over 3 hours last night. Thought Id leave my impressions before I played some more.

Wearing armor makes the game much easier than being a rogue. Early in the game it's pretty much narrow corridors. Not much room to maneuver.

-Pros

1. combos make each weapon feel very unique. You can do some badass combos once u get the hang of it.

2. Straight forward items. i know what every item does without needing a wiki.

-Cons
1. Framerate isn't a steady 30.

2. I may not be far enough yet but the inventory system isn't great. Doesn't seem like you can sell or get rid of items. So as of now my inventory is everything I've got whether I want it or not.

The dividing factor on this game will be the difficulty. I've played 2 souls game passing on Dark 2 but never finish either. It seems the enemies don't do enough damage compared to Souls. It also seems to me some enemies in Lords have cheaper move sets, so maybe this is why.

So far I'm enjoying the game very much. Love the backstab animations for some of the weapons. I haven't got parrying down, but that's something to add to the arsenal. It doesn't have the tension of Souls and that's ok to me. the 7s it's getting is fairly accurate. If your looking for an easier Souls game this is for you. If you have player thru all 3 Souls games I don't think you'll be challenged much, but it's worth checking out.

Yeah the game is by design supposed to be quite easy, but you have lots of tools to deal with "cheap enemies" like the gauntlet and spells.

Only the buckler-shield can parry. The rest only block I think.

Maffis

Yeah just as I thought dont care for the game too much. Outside of the risk vs reward exp system of building up more kills without spending exp or dying = more reward. Everything else dont care for at all since it tries to lift way too heavily from the Souls series design, then waters it down.

Seriously how the hell did something as major as a bug which causes voice audio to go dead make it way into the retail build. Other game play related bugs sure, but something as obvious as voice not playing and staying that way is a serious issue considering they are "attempting" to have some sort of story with the game.

Combat does not feel satisfying at all either.

For those who can wait Id say wait for a price drop. Or at least till more of this shit gets patched. Since if you want a SP story experience going to have one hell of a time putting up with the voices cutting off and am sure you people dont want to constantly turn the game on / off to fix it.

Am sure others will enjoy the title, but this is pretty much all I have to say about it.

Sad you don't like the combat because most impressions so far have been the most positive about that particular instance of the game.

edit: game seems to be up on steam now. it is downloading the patch now. couldn't do that before

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Has Amazon US shipped out any CEs yet? Kind of surprised that I don't even have an estimated delivery date. I preordered it quite some time ago...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
getting weird performance on PC.

the game will stutter/freeze for a sec sometimes and its really annoying, also getting tearing on borderless window which isnt supposed to happen

i5 4690k, 15gb ram, 2x gtx970 SLI (and the game has a official SLI profile) :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How's it running on PC for folks? Performance is not stable for me at all (sub-60 fps most of the time). Seems to average around 50 fps or so with a GTX780.

Only using a 3570k here but my performance is nowhere near what that Russian graph is reporting. Now I have to investigate...

45 mins in, game crashed while checking out weapons in inventory lol. Game is fun so far though. Thank goodness they had that alternate control scheme, rolling with A felt wayyyy too weird.

edit: ugh, you can't swap favorited weapons with the alternate control scheme -___-

cripterion

Well fuck me, I had the game crash twice so far and didn't even pass the tutorial area, can feel the anger rising.

Also anyone getting 2 repeating ads for Nvidia and Alienware when launching the game?

the game will stutter/freeze for a sec sometimes and its really annoying, also getting tearing on borderless window which isnt supposed to happen

Same setup except I have a i7 4790K and game is crashing... Doesn't even appear in Geforce Experience.
Nvidia has been really shitty as of late with the performance of their so called sponsored games, I dare say I almost had a better experience when I had my 670's.

Eusis

I'm actually more put off by the length than the difficulty... But it's more tight funds than anything keeping me from jumping on this (well, and wanting to be sure it's a really good game.) Though both that and the challenge means this will make a nice Souls-flavored snack for whenever, I liked the games more for the exploration and overall gameplay style than strictly being really damn challenging.

Boarderless windowed messes up SLI scaling. I would not do that.

Zomba13

This should be out on steam now right? Whenever I try to "play" it it has around 500MB left to download (downloaded 8.6GB and wouldn't do any more earlier, now wants 9.2GB). Whenever I try and download the rest or the patch or whatever I get nothing, steam doesn't put the game down the pipes. Other games download fine right now. It says on the store it's available now for me.

EDIT: hmmm... never mind. Seems that the progress bar for the download is moving even though the steam client says i'm getting 0 bytes down currently.

yatesl

I still haven't seen any screenshots by actual people yet. What's up with that!

xdfMPwl.jpg

I'm getting performance issues, too. Unstable 30 - 50 fps on high settings on a 770, when I expected better. I was running OBS (streaming to Twitch), so I'll tinker off cam for a bit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm getting performance issues, too. Unstable 30 - 50 fps on high settings on a 770, when I expected better. I was running OBS (streaming to Twitch), so I'll tinker off cam for a bit.
Yes, exactly. I'm getting 40-55 fps mainly on a 780. It's not great.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The game goes way overboard with chromatic aberration.

Toreal

Watched a few streams and caved, bought it from a cd key site because I am low on cash, thankfully I didn't get ripped off.

Downloading from steam atm, anyone making a pc performance thread?

Anyone tested it on a gtx 970 yet?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well fuck me, I had the game crash twice so far and didn't even pass the tutorial area, can feel the anger rising.

Also anyone getting 2 repeating ads for Nvidia and Alienware when launching the game?

Same setup except I have a i7 4790K and game is crashing... Doesn't even appear in Geforce Experience.
Nvidia has been really shitty as of late with the performance of their so called sponsored games, I dare say I almost had a better experience when I had my 670's.

yup game just crashed for me on the tutorial boss lol. Performance wise its running much better in fullscreen with forced tripple buffering from control panel, no more stutter, frame drops or tearing, its holding steady at 60 (well, drops to anyware between 59 to 55 but you know what I mean). Guess it doesnt play nice with borderless for me

dat crash tho >_>

Boarderless windowed messes up SLI scaling. I would not do that.

wait is this for every game? because that would explian Mordor and others for me o_O (im new to the whole SLI thing)

addyb

My copy arrived today. Thank you gamecollection.net

I just have to help bath and put kids to bed and then I'm on it!! Should get a good couple of hours on it at least. Feeling full of man flu though :(

I'm glad most seem to be enjoying it though. I've been really looking forward to this. Just as much as mordor and evil within anyway.

Oh just thought I'd add I decided to install DSII last night. Totally bypassed it but I'm a demons and DS veteran. Anyway I haven't played a souls game for a couple of years and I seriously got my ass kicked on it last night.

edit: nvm, not working as intended :/

Also, looks like you can completely edit your controls, even for the gamepad! Will have to check that out later for sure, as both settings the game has by default aren't to my liking.

I didn't have much time to mess around with it but I got through the very beginning little tutorial battle (how to walk, block, etc) with no issues launching the game. I half expected the game to not even load. Knock on wood. I put all the settings up to "Very High" and chose the "Borderless Window" option to see how it would run. I didn't see any tearing or frame drops but I didn't have a FPS counter up to really see if it happened. I'll check later. Here are my specs as a comparison...

i5-4690K
8 GB RAM
Radeon R9 290X 4 GB VRAM (running whatever the current non-Beta drivers are)

Again, this is from a very small look at the game. For all I know once I start to actually play longer it could turn into a big mess but I hope not.

I repeat...knock on wood

Fraps is reporting 60 FPS for me with maxed settings @ 1620p -> 1080p, but it doesn't quite feel like 60 FPS. There's a very subtle... non-smoothness to it when panning the camera around. Feels more like 48 FPS.

Also, the in-game AF defaults to 4x every time I restart the game, and it doesn't seem like there's any difference when changing it. And no, I'm not forcing from drivers at the moment. Not sure what's up with that.

Top Bottom