• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Engine overview: here

Rendering technolog yof Lords of FAllen

Volumetric lighting of LOTF

The consoles use a simplified GPU physics scheme (not the Apex turbulence fields, the volumetric fog, etc.) on top of lower res volumetric effects.

Also, the Nvidia Gameworks vid.
I've read all that already.

I was aware of some of those differences but the particles actually look quite a bit nicer on console despite using a simplified turbulence field. There are situations in which the PC version looks as if it's straight up missing effects in comparison leading me to believe that the PC specific particle changes weren't implemented as well even if they are more complex.

It does not matter how old your PC is, it all depends on what specs you have. Some 4 years old PCs can run new games well enough.
If your PC was mid-range back in 2010 it's obvious it does not perform well in the most recent releases.

I've got Intel core i5 cpu 750, 8 gigs RAM, and a Radeon HD5700.

Sure it's all old, but any game I try to play I can get good performance on even if I have to lower settings. This game runs like shit no matter what I do.

So whats the verdict on first play-through length?
About 20 hrs according to Ganespot. Some reviews say 18.

Got a solid 8 from Gamespot, higher than I expected but nice to see.
It's a good sign because the reviewer loves the Souls series. He reviewed each one of them including Demons Souls.

I like how the reviewer was fair and didn't review Lords of the Fallen as a Souls fanboy. He said it resembles Dark Souls but has enough to stand on its own.

Zafir

Ran fine for ages, but now I'm just getting crashes. :I

Crashed heading towards the second boss, and then when I finally got to him, it crashed just as I was doing it.

Is there news on screen tearing being fixed in future patches?

The tearing on PS4 is ridiculous given how simple the indoor environment is in the beginning of the game. Its hard to take given how Dark Souls 2 performs on older generation consoles. This is after installing the patch, it was horrid before that and just awful afterwards.

Kezen

Banned
Sure it's all old, but any game I try to play I can get good performance on even if I have to lower settings. This game runs like shit no matter what I do.
"Any game" is too vague. Do you run games as demanding as LOTF ?

A 5770/5750 is very low end, it's not surprising at all you can't run taxing releases as well as you think it should.
No idea how you expected your system to run the game at the same level as the PS4.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the fact that the game runs "like shit". You barely meet the minimum requirements, in fact the 5770 is not as capable as the minimum listed GPU (460).

Hopefully you can get a refund on Steam.

I've read all that already.

I was aware of some of those differences but the particles actually look quite a bit nicer on console despite using a simplified turbulence field. There are situations in which the PC version looks as if it's straight up missing effects in comparison leading me to believe that the PC specific particle changes weren't implemented as well even if they are more complex.

Any chance that you could snap some screens of the difference? I would be curious to see that!

Also, there is another presentation they did... but I cannot seem to find it.

EDIT: Found it!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally killed the first boss, no crash. I still dont have a patch even after restarting steam so /shrug. Some quick thoughts:

-Game looks gorgeous

-XP system is very interesting. I banked 1 point in spells for the clone spell, and then 1 point in atributes to get more stamina/equip load

-pre-order armor and weapons is mostly cosmetic, only 1 of the armor pieces had more armor than the default stuff (chest has 25 armor compared to default 24) and the sword has 1 more attack (20 vs 19), the rest seems about the same. No great advantage there which is cool. It sure looks pretier tho

-I actually had to use 2 potions in the first boss, mostly by fucking up (like taking his big arched blow which is very slow, but I still took it stupidly like 3 times).

-I love the impact of the game. Weapons feel powerful, blows feel strong, I like the hollow CLANK sound your shield makes when blocking

-I might restart as a Cleric (I know you can change atributes at will), Warrior seems way too slow

-Environments are a lot more claustrophobic and linear than the Souls games, but I already found some secrets by exploring even early on, so it is possible

more to come, might restart like I said, in fact, im now curious to see if the boss will crash again. If the game stops crashing, I can see myself loving it

blado

Is the release day patch out yet? I want to buy the game, but I want to wait and see if the issues people are having are fixed yet.

SRTtoZ

I might pick this up later. Its actually pretty damn big on Twitch right now...50k+ viewers and Sunset isnt even on the main page. I would never have expected that.

Sothpaw

Yikes time to build a new pc. Great time to do so with the awesome 970's.

Kezen

Banned
Is the release day patch out yet? I want to buy the game, but I want to wait and see if the issues people are having are fixed yet.

I have not downloaded anything, no 5gb or 45mb update for me. Restarted Steam several times.

I like to think myself as a seasoned PC gamer, I know PC releases are sometimes rocky, I always expect a few issues along the way but this is irritating.

Corpekata

Banned
No point restarting as a cleric if Warrior is too slow for you, their starter weapon is slow too, and you'll get the other starter armors after the first boss.

PS4 version is super buggy. Tutorial would get stuck at the roll screen not accepting any input to advance it. Had to skip it which thankfully it lets you. Also voice playback is gone after the warden fight, as well as other sounds probably. I might shelve it and wait for a patch. Performance is also not great.

Buburibon

The game is gorgeous, and it looks like I'll have a great time with it. That being said, frametimes are all over the place and I can't seem to be able to get rid of the stuttering at either 60fps or 30fps. It's the first game in a long time where locking frame rates down to 30/60fps through Nvidia Inspector using the frame rate limiter and driver vsync/1/2 refresh vsync does absolutely nothing to improve frame-pacing. It's also using all of my 980's 4GB of VRAM at all times, and RAM usage is through the roof too.

Zafir

Wait what the hell, when does this game save? I just lost 20 mins of progress.

Yeah same thing happened to me. The tutorial fails to tell you that the crystal things are checkpoints. I was thinking they were just used to upgrade your character because that's what the tutorial tells you, so I didn't use it yet. Exited out of the game and when I came back I had to do the boss again. >.>
No point restarting as a cleric if Warrior is too slow for you, their starter weapon is slow too, and you'll get the other starter armors after the first boss.
Yeah, but if you got the pre-order pack you actually get a sword so you can swap to that. I restarted as cleric because warrior was just too slow, and swapped to that sword and I was fine with the speed from then on.

Maffis

The game is gorgeous, and it looks like I'll have a great time with it. That being said, frametimes are all over the place and I can't seem to be able to get rid of the stuttering at either 60fps or 30fps. It's the first game in a long time where locking frame rates down to 30/60fps through Nvidia Inspector using the frame rate limiter and driver vsync/1/2 refresh vsync does absolutely nothing to improve frame-pacing. It's also using all of my 980's 4GB of VRAM at all times, and RAM usage is through the roof too.

I lowered my settings down to high instead of very high and my framerate problems outside dissapeared completely. im on two 680's and 16gb of ram and a i7-3770k. the game seems to have a problem with a way too big and unnecessary draw-distance outside the castle, but it still looks really nice on high.

burgerdog

On checkpoints? You have to go to them and use it. If you quit, that is your next starting point.

Yeah same thing happened to me. The tutorial fails to tell you that the crystal things are checkpoints. I was thinking they were just used to upgrade your character because that's what the tutorial tells you, so I didn't use it yet. Exited out of the game and when I came back I had to do the boss again. >.>

Yeah, but if you got the pre-order pack you actually get a sword so you can swap to that. I restarted as cleric because warrior was just too slow, and swapped to that sword and I was fine with the speed from then on.

So do I press A on them or what? Confused.

Ricker

Ok,game is hard but awesome so far...now that I am a little further in and found the Gauntlet and got use to the combat,timing of my swings and rolls and all,it's a little easier but you still have to be careful....love the sound effects,even the little tune that plays when you open a chest that has good stuff in it is coool lol...

Not crazy about the checkpoint/save system but hey,what can you do lol...,at least it refills your health potion if you choose and the banking of AP or SP is ok...like I had to stop playing so when I come back,all the freakin monsters will be back up but I will also be full...

I also dont like the complete lack of quest tracking and map...Right now I have no clue if I am on the right path to find Kaslo or something and I have one sidequest that I have no clue either...just heading in the general direction of god knows where for now lol...

The tearing on the PS4 is non existant for now but outside the castle,the framerate is pretty awful at times...lighting is gorgeous but the FR takes a hit because of that and the snow slowly falling and all...looks gorgeous though.

I am sticking with my Rogue because anyway you can mix armor and stuff depending on the situation...just keeping my weight down so I can move faster...sprinting saved my butt a few times so far...run away,regroup and try and take the guys one or two at a time,because not all the ennemies follow you all the way...

Loving it so far...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
WTF at the performance?

The "recommended" specs on the Steam page are WAY under what I'm seeing in those performance graphs.

I have a 660 on a i5 3ghz. I was hoping to get 60fps with some settings down at 1080p. Looks like that's not going to happen.

Crap.

Can you at least lock the game to 30fps in-game? Or do I have to run an external program to do so?

leazo

Banned
Which class/magic type combo would be the hardest to beat the game with if that's known at this point?

Have completed dark souls on ng+ so looking for something challenging here :)

Kezen

Banned
WTF at the performance?

The "recommended" specs on the Steam page are WAY under what I'm seeing in those performance graphs.

I have a 660 on a i5 3ghz. I was hoping to get 60fps with some settings down at 1080p. Looks like that's not going to happen.

Crap.

Can you at least lock the game to 30fps in-game? Or do I have to run an external program to do so?

1) Recommended requirements never target (or very rarely) maximum settings, nor should they. Your 660 should do fine at medium/high settings which is very reasonable considering your hardware.
2) No vsync option in the menu, it's enabled by default. You can lock your FPS with Dxtory or MSI Afterburner.

Corpekata

Banned

Why would you need to restart for that though?

Buburibon

I lowered my settings down to high instead of very high and my framerate problems outside dissapeared completely. im on two 680's and 16gb of ram and a i7-3770k. the game seems to have a problem with a way too big and unnecessary draw-distance outside the castle, but it still looks really nice on high.

Thanks, I'll give that a go!

burgerdog

Game crashed and now I'm not getting any sound. Game is really fun but this is horrible, at least Driveclub was playable :lol

For anyone who wants some extra difficulty i strongly recommend going in to the catacombs before fighting the second boss, the npc near the second boss will give you a key to enter the catacombs if you complete a sidequest. It's fucking brutal down there, i must have died 20 times, definitely my favourite area of the game so far. I got all the way up to the third boss before beating the second.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just tried to stream it a bit

started a cleric, crashed on the very start after killing the first guy and going through the small door

loaded my warrior, killed the 3 duds in the courtyard and was going to see if they respawned when you use a "bonfire"...crashed again

this is completely unplayable atm, you cant play a dark souls style game with the risk of the game crashing at any moment. shame because it looks really good

Truant

Bought this in lack of anything better to do.

Graphics are fairly decent. Framerate is a joke, but I've stopped caring with these PS4 ports. When they said "super-charged PC" I guess they meant my old Pentium 4 or something.

It lacks the atmosphere of a Souls game, and it feels oddly eurojanky, yet polished enough to be playable. Story and world seems standard fantasy-ish, with awful voice acting and world building.

Movement feels pretty good, but the combat lacks impact and weight when you actually hit enemies. The animations themselves are pretty well done so I guess there's some feedback or sound effects missing to give a nice sense of brutality to the precedings.

They really start you off with a bang. The first enemy is pretty tough when you roll as warrior, who - pun intended - defaults to the fattest of rolls. I'm sure my enemy's wounds were partially healed by the time my fat ass character got back on his feet. The first boss is also tough yet icredibly dumb if you're a cheeser like me. I just spammed my Prayer/decoy ability and R2'd his ass into boring cutscene oblivion.

I feel the tutorials and written text really take me out of the game. A tool tip regarding Clerics read something like this "Clerics probably enjoy this style of magic, I guess". It's written in a very casual way that's almost charming. Top tip: Read all that stuff with Jeff Gerstmann's voice for increased enjoyment.

I don't know, it just feels like this game makes no sense. It's weird, but I kinda like it in a "I guess it's better to spend my money on this rather than getting an XB1 just for Sunset Overdrive" way.

I should probably just buy a new Pc.

Rhaknar

from Rock Paper Shotgun

"So now we come to the real horror. The Lords of the Fallen preview build worked fine for me, and my PC hits the recommended specs (albeit using an AMD graphics card) – with the exception of framerate drops, which I put down to it being a preview build. The review build on the other hand got worse as time wore on. It began with extreeemmee frame drops, slowdown, screen-tear, dodgy collision detection and so on – these would come and go, but at a certain point I decided to check all my drivers, uninstall the game, and start from scratch.

After this point Lords of the Fallen was never the same again, with the loading times lengthened enormously and multiple crashes the order of the day. Then things got worse and on three separate occasions it bluescreened my PC (don’t say I never do anything for you). At that point I gave up. I looked around to see if anyone else had experienced issues, and it seems this is not uncommon – I can’t test different hardware, but others have, and the results on high-end cards are not encouraging."

Bluescreen, yikes. the crash I just had was a weird / scary one that said something about my videocard too. Jim Sterling is saying his computer also crashed (not the game, the computer) while trying to play Lords, so I think something is deffinately going on with the game.

They need to patch is asap

I haven't played or seen much of the game so far but does the PS4 version have those particle physics on flame swords? or is that PC stuff?

I saw some clips and they looked really nice in motion

Nvidia Gameworks video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFlQ9CtLi-0&list=UUHuiy8bXnmK5nisYHUd1J5g

I'm still on the fence but DAMN at those particles. Seamingly not present on consoles. :)

Woops, missed this.

EDIT: Also speaking of crashes, I had the PS4 version crash on me after a little playtime. First game to ever crash on my PS4

Kezen

Banned
from Rock Paper Shotgun

"So now we come to the real horror. The Lords of the Fallen preview build worked fine for me, and my PC hits the recommended specs (albeit using an AMD graphics card) – with the exception of framerate drops, which I put down to it being a preview build. The review build on the other hand got worse as time wore on. It began with extreeemmee frame drops, slowdown, screen-tear, dodgy collision detection and so on – these would come and go, but at a certain point I decided to check all my drivers, uninstall the game, and start from scratch.

After this point Lords of the Fallen was never the same again, with the loading times lengthened enormously and multiple crashes the order of the day. Then things got worse and on three separate occasions it bluescreened my PC (don’t say I never do anything for you). At that point I gave up. I looked around to see if anyone else had experienced issues, and it seems this is not uncommon – I can’t test different hardware, but others have, and the results on high-end cards are not encouraging."

Bluescreen, yikes. the crash I just had was a weird / scary one that said something about my videocard too. Jim Sterling is saying his computer also crashed (not the game, the computer) while trying to play Lords, so I think something is deffinately going on with the game.

Thanks for bringing this up, wow. Ubisoft get a lot of crap for their PC ports but this is something else. I only booted up the game once and it crashed, thankfully nothing severe has come up for now.

Rhaknar

not to add on the shitpile (especially when I want to play this, the actual game looks great), but aparently it also has SEVERE memory leak problems... oy :/

Zafir

from Rock Paper Shotgun

Yeah I got two crashes(which caused a driver crash too) and it put me off playing the game for a bit despite enjoying what I did play.

-PXG-

E6PInwm.jpg

Only a few more minutes of work left and I'm home free

Top Bottom