• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Only a few more minutes of work left and I'm home free

This is why I both hate and love EU release dates being the Friday. I hate it cos you guys get it the Tuesday before but I love getting new games on release and having all weekend to play them. But you have a fun night ahead regardless :D

So I am really wanting to get this for X1 because I am Dark Souls starved. I was just wondering about the control scheme...are there and options for remapping or changing things around?

Maffis

wtf my game set itself to low graphics and i didnt notice until i was closing it down. the game looks pretty good even on low though.

cpiso

Neo Member
As someone who has never played a Souls game due to the difficulty, what would my chances be with this game? Should I expect to die often?

Zafir

This is why I both hate and love EU release dates being the Friday. I hate it cos you guys get it the Tuesday before but I love getting new games on release and having all weekend to play them. But you have a fun night ahead regardless :D

It got moved up in Europe I thought?

Shopto said the release date was today, and my copy arrived on Saturday.

Maffis

As someone who has never played a Souls game due to the difficulty, what would my chances be with this game? Should I expect to die often?

if you go in as a complete newb, yeah, but even if you do die, it wont be very punishing. you respawn close to where you die and you have more health potions and the "checkpoints" are more frequent. the enemies also hit for alot weaker.

dont start with light armor though. start with either medium and heavy. light armor is basically 3-4 hits and dead.

cpiso

Neo Member
if you go in as a complete newb, yeah, but even if you do die, it wont be very punishing. you respawn close to where you die and you have more health potions and the "checkpoints" are more frequent. the enemies also hit for alot weaker.

dont start with light armor though. start with either medium and heavy. light armor is basically 3-4 hits and dead.

I bought this on a whim while picking up sunset overdrive today. Heavy armor it is! Thanks for the tip!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So the game, what do you guys say, Yes or No?

its plagued with serious technical issues on PC that render it virtually unplyable atm, the game itself seems great and its bumming me out

cant recomend the PC version right now tho

edit: PC Gamer also plagued with crashes, which they reflected on their review (58/100), not sure if I agree with that, I myself would wait for a patch instead of reviewing it, but I cant blame them, the game IS basically unplayable at the moment

Zafir

I bought this on a whim while picking up sunset overdrive today. Heavy armor it is! Thanks for the tip!

I wouldn't really recommend Heavy either, unless you don't think you'll use the roll. The roll is really slow with Heavy. I think Medium is a good middle ground.

cripterion

Nevermind game still crashing without GPU tweak, was at the second boss and got the crash so fucking frustrating, I'm done.

Definitely a yes, but I'm biased :) It has problems, just like the Souls series, but by god is it addictive. And so, so pretty. Also a 45mb patch was just released on PC, not sure what it fixed.

its plagued with serious technical issues on PC that render it virtually unplyable atm, the game itself seems great and its bumming me out

edit: PC Gamer also plagued with crashes, which they reflected on their review (58/100), not sure if I agree with that, I myself would wait for a patch instead of reviewing it, but I cant blame them, the game IS basically unplayable at the moment

Sorry I forgot to mention I will be buying the PS4 version of the game.

Keep in mind I never played a Souls game, I wouldn't have lasted in that game anyway. I'm definitely interested in this game though, like the setting and the overall premise.

So yes or no? Also I have both the new consoles, so PS4 OR X1?

The one time I'm actually looking for a quick look for buying advice and GB doesn't have anything. Before I just go digging around for other folks playing it, anyone have quick look style videos they would recommend?

HowZatOZ

Banned
Nevermind game still crashing without GPU tweak, was at the second boss and got the crash so fucking frustrating, I'm done.

This is going to sound stupid, but have you tried running Steam/the game's .exe as administrator? Also make sure all latest drivers are installed etc as well just to rule out pesky problems like that. If the latest driver is installed, try rolling back to previous one to check if that's the case.

Phinor

I was hoping I'd be immune to (PC version) crashing but 30 minutes into the game the game crashed. The 45MB patch didn't fix it then. Guess I'll wait for more patches, it's too annoying to play a game that can crash at any moment.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

jpax

I wouldn't really recommend Heavy either, unless you don't think you'll use the roll. The roll is really slow with Heavy. I think Medium is a good middle ground.

TIL: Medium is a good middle ground! Who knew?

Just kidding ;)

Ooccoo

So wait, reviewers should wait for a patch, but customers must pay now to get the game.

You review what you get. There's no excuse.

Played for about 2.5 hours on PC with no crashes and a solid 60 FPS. Not sure how I feel about the game. Really dislike all the enemies behind greatshields.

yatesl

Forgive me Gaf, for I have sinned. Considering it's poor performance on my mid-range hardware (4670k, 770 2GB), I have decided to go for a 'cinematic experience' over fluctuating frames.

I just need to disable the frame counter overlay, and try and forget about it.

cripterion

This is going to sound stupid, but have you tried running Steam/the game's .exe as administrator? Also make sure all latest drivers are installed etc as well just to rule out pesky problems like that. If the latest driver is installed, try rolling back to previous one to check if that's the case.

It just make no sense I made a custom profile in the Nvidia settings for it, disabled GPU tweak, ran at a lower resolution (I was supersampling), it just randomly crashes and yes I'm using the latest drivers that are supposed to be ready for this game.

None of the other games in my Steam/Origin/Uplay library crash like that, won't change my stable config just for one game, they need to patch this.

I'll do another run with SLI disabled but for fucks sake, this game is supposed to be sponsored by Nvidia, get it together.

blado

Played just past the first boss so far. So far the only bug I've encountered is a backstab not doing any damage. No crashes either. Does anyone know how to invert the x-axis on the camera?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So wait, reviewers should wait for a patch, but customers must pay now to get the game.

You review what you get. There's no excuse.

I said I cant blame them didnt I? I also didnt say they shouldnt warn people about this. I only said I wouldnt give a score based on technical issues that can (well, I hope lol) be fixed with a patch

like reviewing a mmo for example. but hey, im no reviewer, nor am i making excuses for Lords. Im the first one to say stay clear for now

dude when there is multiple people saying theres severe crashes, and multiple sites saying they got severe crashes, maybe its the game, just saying

blado

I'm getting pretty shitty performance on my overclocked 780 and 3570k. FPS is in the 30s and 40s much of the time. My gpu load never even reached 100% during my playtime, with it being in the 70s and 80s max. CPU isn't at 100% either, so I don't know why the fps is so low. This is on Very High settings.

Kezen

Banned
I'm getting pretty shitty performance on my overclocked 780 and 3570k. FPS is in the 30s and 40s much of the time. My gpu load never even reached 100% during my playtime, with it being in the 70s and 80s max. CPU isn't at 100% either, so I don't know why the fps is so low. This is on Very High settings.

CPU limit it seems. The game loves I7s.

Toreal

Yeah I have the same problems, 3 crashes on second boss now, sucks because the game is fun to play.

Gtx 970 with new drivers

Maybesew

Does anyone have any more to add to the three classes than whats in the first post?

The idea of the cleric that has spells that focus on weakening opponents kind of appeals to me, but maybe there is something about the other classes that is really compelling.

Sanctuary

Definitely a yes, but I'm biased :) It has problems, just like the Souls series, but by god is it addictive. And so, so pretty. Also a 45mb patch was just released on PC, not sure what it fixed.

I just don't understand the remarks about it looking nice. The architecture is some of the blandest, and "inflatable" since...wait for it...World of Warcraft. I already thought it looked pretty generic on the Youtube videos, but decided to give it a second chance. And hell, I wouldn't even actually mind the aesthetics if not for the fact that everything looks the same so far. Even Darksiders looked more original than this and had a lot more variety.

It also doesn't help that there's this very ugly post-processing effect going on that makes it look like you're viewing the world through some kind of glass filter that distorts everything.

Rhaknar

Does anyone have any more to add to the three classes than whats in the first post?

The idea of the cleric that has spells that focus on weakening opponents kind of appeals to me, but maybe there is something about the other classes that is really compelling.

the spells are seperate from the class you choose. you can start as a rogue with cleric spells

Is there any consensus on what the best magic type is? I've read that the Mimic spell on the Deception path is really good, but are there any other 'must have' spells?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Decided to get this game to take advantage of Best Buys Gamers Unlocked deal and holy hell. . .the screen tearing is so bad. It's like the first thing you notice on the PS4 version as it shows right up in the cutscenes. Like ten minutes in I'm regretting not getting it on PC and. . .oh wait. PC version is plagued too.

drotahorror

Lords of the Fallen [OT] Where's Kaslo?

Anyone ever find the 3rd rune thing that you're looking for the that one dude? I wanna wear a different jewelry

deoee

Funny enough, the tearing is nearly complete gone in the second "level" of the game for the PS4 (you'll know what i mean if you get there)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Loaded up the game. Everything maxed out and running at 1440p downsampled to 1o80p. Beat the first boss. Game looks amazing and ran nice and smooth on my GTX970/3570K. I gather the game crashed start to occur later in the game?

Top Bottom