• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

Wish I could play this, my gamestop took 7 preorders and got 3 games, all sold last night I guess at midnight. So I have to wait for their F'Up!! I hate Gamestop, just easier to go to for me.

Corpekata

Banned
Cleric starter spell seems really overpowered. Long taunt clone spell that has high health and duration, and even worked on the first boss.

Game looks as good as most games do in bullshots. Especially in 4K:
15467059390_a9b64b3a7a_o_d.png

15031879074_c8a8ae2a42_o_d.png

15652627615_847c35707b_o_d.png

Get about 50fps average at highest settings in 4K. Wish I could turn the chromatic aberration off though.

Zafir

Get about 50fps average at highest settings in 4K. Wish I could turn the chromatic aberration off though.
Are you running SLI or something?

I can only get like 30-40FPS (Sometimes goes higher indoors) on my 970 at Very High 1440p.

Quite the looker. I wonder if the DF comparison will forget to look at the Fledge engine documentation and declare the game to be similar on all platform minus IQ.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
quoting myself from the steam thread:

and Lords of the Fallen crashed on the first boss again. Welp, guess its time to wait for a patch I guess :/

performance wise im getting pretty much 55-60 constant now in fullscreen instead of borderless, but the crashes kill it

The second boss is totally wrecking me. I was able to get him down to half health, but I'm usually out of potions by then. And I'm only doing a miniscule amount of damage.

cripterion

how do you use potions btw?

If you're using a 360 or Xbox One gamepad I think you have to hold X.

Sometimes the game crashes when launching from Steam too, it seemed to run fine ingame but damn I would like to know why it's crashing left & right like that.

The second boss is totally wrecking me. I was able to get him down to half health, but I'm usually out of potions by then. And I'm only doing a miniscule amount of damage.

I had to grind few levels, fix my gear (from heavy to medium) and learn some weapon combos to get the adds down fast. Then I just danced around the boss and hit him with a combo when he does those leanings. I didn't use shield stance and had an epic Great Battleaxe.

Parsnip

So is the post processing all or nothing kind of deal? I would love love love to be able to turn off chromatic aberration, but leave the rest on.

Any ini files to mess with?

So is the post processing all or nothing kind of deal? I would love love love to be able to turn off chromatic aberration, but leave the rest on.

Any ini files to mess with?

This is the settings.ini
Code:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Fledge Settings file
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// flag indicating whether spoken will be displayed
subtitles_enabled = false
// flag indicating whether in game text is enabled
display_ingame_text = true
// flag indicating whether in game combat text is enabled
display_ingame_text_combat = true
// flag indicating whether in game quest text is enabled
display_ingame_text_quest = true
// flag indicating whether enemy health bars must be shown
display_enemy_health_bars = true
// whether save games will be using time stamps
savegame_timestamp_enabled = false
// general detail level for the game
general_detail_level = VeryHigh
// vertical look inverted flag
vertical_look_inverted = false
// control scheme (currently supported values: Default, Option1)
control_scheme = Option1
// will the game feature 'finishing sequences'?
finishing_sequences_enabled = true
// will the camera try to avoid collision by adjusting its own rotation?
camera_rotation_adjust_enabled = false
// will hud elements be auto-scaled for resolutions other than 1080p?
auto_scale_hud_enabled = true
// the rotational speed of the camera
controller_sensitivity = 2.000
// whether the quest text should be always displayed
display_quest_text = true
// whether the current enemy should be locked automatically 
auto_lock_on_enemies = false
// master volume
master_volume = 0.999
// music volume
music_volume = 1
// effect volume
effect_volume = 1
// speech volume
speech_volume = 1.000
// the size of the windowed render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_windowed = 1280x720
// the size of the fullscreen render window (e.g. 1024x768)
screen_size_fullscreen = 3840x2160
// the window mode (Fullscreen, Windowed, WindowedBorderless)
window_mode = Fullscreen
// game mode name
game_mode = Default
// vsync flag (true/false)
vsync = true
// postprocessing quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_postprocessing = VeryHigh
// texture quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_textures = VeryHigh
// shadow quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_shadows = VeryHigh
// geometry quality (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh)
quality_geometry = VeryHigh
// volumetric lighting quality
quality_volumetric_lighting (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh) = VeryHigh
// anisotropic filtering quality
quality_anisotropic_filtering (Off, Low, Medium, High, VeryHigh) = VeryHigh
// flag controlling rumble enabled (true/false)
rumble_enabled = true
// the gamma correction value
gamma_correction_value = 0.920
// defines the screen space LOD factor
screen_space_lod_factor = 1.000
// defines the distance LOD factor
distance_lod_factor = 1.000
// defines if APEX should utilize GPU support (e.g. for APEX Turbulence) if available (true/false)
apex_gpu_support_enabled = true
// defines the size of the physx timestep to use (a variable timestep will be used if the value is <= 0)
physx_fixed_timestep_size = 0.016
// enables lighting of dynamic objects via light probes
enable_lightprobe_lighting = true
// enables enlighten threads
enable_enlighten = true
// defines the interval at which the radiosity update scheduler gets updated
enlighten_radiosity_update_interval = 0.000
// enables the occlusion culling thread
enable_occlusion_culling = true

Has Amazon US shipped out any CEs yet? Kind of surprised that I don't even have an estimated delivery date. I preordered it quite some time ago...
the bust edition?

haha I saw it in GameStop. amazing

edit:pS4 copy and Sunset Overdrive Day One round out another killer day for releases

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if anyone figures out if its a setting that is causing the crashes (for now) ill give you a cookie :/

If you're using a 360 or Xbox One gamepad I think you have to hold X.

Sometimes the game crashes when launching from Steam too, it seemed to run fine ingame but damn I would like to know why it's crashing left & right like that.

thank you, did I miss a tutorial or they never say how to use them?

Sanctuary

Cleric starter spell seems really overpowered. Long taunt clone spell that has high health and duration, and even worked on the first boss.

Don't all three spell schools have the same clone, with the main differences being you either get health, mana or energy regen?

Zomba13

Hell yes. Altered the gamepad controls to be pretty much exactly like Dark Souls. Everything is good now.

Oh you can do that? I was wondering because things are every so slightly off and it was kinda throwing me off a bit.

Only played to the second check point so far but liking it. I can definitely see where Vaatividya is coming from about it being "Clunky Souls" but that not being a bad thing. Playing as a heavy armour using guy kinda like I always do on my first run in a souls game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Absolutely not. I'm only a short way into the PS4 version, and the tearing (plus potentially other things) are giving me a headache.
Yikes... that's bad.
I played the PS4 version unpatched while the patch was downloading. The tearing was very noticeable. After installing the patch, the tearing seems to be pretty much gone. The only problem left is the framerate; It's pretty solid when you are in smaller indoors environments, but it often drops when you enter large open spaces or when a lot of particle effects / lighting effects are in play. Another thing that reminds me of the Souls games on console ;)
That's a relief. If the patch fixes the tearing, it should be fine. I don't mind the Souls-like framerate, I'm used to it. ;)

Welp, my card isn't even on that list. Oh well, PS4 it is. But I think I'll wait for a bit until they iron out all the glitches. Tearing is bad enough, but constant crashing? Does this happen on PS4 too?

Hell yes. Altered the gamepad controls to be pretty much exactly like Dark Souls. Everything is good now.
Can you do that on PS4? I hope so. Or if not I hope they binded the controls to be similar. ;)

Kezen

Banned
Then yeah, his PC will probably run it better. My laptop's graphic card is slightly better than a 650 and has 2GB of vram so I don't think I can run it good.

I would definitely advise against it in your case, any console will achieve better results. But even if you have a beast of a PC there is nothing wrong with choosing to play on consoles.
That's personnal.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks like there was a patch waiting and, after downloading, performance is now very stable. Much better.

It's just crashing now while it wasn't before. :\

Quite the looker. I wonder if the DF comparison will forget to look at the Fledge engine documentation and declare the game to be similar on all platform minus IQ.
Which documentation are you referring to exactly? Most of the visual features on PC seem present on console from what's out there.

The developers themselves even noted that all of the APEX physics, GPU particles, and such have been implemented in all three versions. There is no indication anywhere that the console versions are missing PC exclusive features. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the PC version offers additional visual features.

creyas

Dying to play, but Steam DL is stuck at 94% / 8.6/9.2GB. "Ready to play in.." starts at 1 second and just keeps climbing. Uggghgh, anyone else, ideas?

edit: The actual bar in the "Play game" screen might actually be progressing though

edit2: It was, started downloading near the end

cripterion

Well fuck this game. Non stop crashing can even get past the 3rd mob without it fucking up my monitors (on a dual screen setup), turns to black, tries to refresh and crash.

I mean seriously, did they even QA this?

if anyone figures out if its a setting that is causing the crashes (for now) ill give you a cookie :/

thank you, did I miss a tutorial or they never say how to use them?

No I just got the tutorial for the first mob and saw how to use pots scrolling through the hints in the loading screen. You can also bring up the key mapping if you go into settings. Y for example will change your stance from 2H to 1H and shield if you're on that setup. I was really looking forward to dive into this but seriously I've had the game crash 6 times and I haven't even played 15mn...

I had to grind few levels, fix my gear (from heavy to medium) and learn some weapon combos to get the adds down fast. Then I just danced around the boss and hit him with a combo when he does those leanings. I didn't use shield stance and had an epic Great Battleaxe.

Thanks, I realized I should probably grind a tiny bit just to get a couple levels. And my timing is way off on the combos, I need to get that down.

cripterion

Funny thing is I realized I have the 344.48 Nvidia game ready driver which specifically mentions best gaming experience for Lords of the Fallen. Non stop crashes so far.

Going to disable GPU tweak to see if it's causing the crashes.

Kezen

Banned
Careful PC folks, memory leaks ahead.
I'm getting "resource exhaustion detector" error in the event logger, the game crashed.

I've not downloaded the day one patch though. The game will update itself when it's available I guess.

dark10x

Seriously, I'm curious to know what you're read that leads you to believe there is a big difference. I've just flipped through a bunch of documents on the engine along with various interviews and slide-shows they've put together. I'm not seeing any PC specific features here.

Rhaknar

I havent had any patch on steam, unless it stealth downloaded to the preload. I unpacked the preload when it unlocked and havent had a patch since

cripterion

Ok seems it was GPU tweak who was messing with the game. Arrived to the first boss (I guess?) and got my ass handed.
The warrior does feel clunky, dunno if it's desired but damn, didn't expect this type of gameplay.

Off to restart the game.

dark10x

I havent had any patch on steam, unless it stealth downloaded to the preload. I unpacked the preload when it unlocked and havent had a patch since
I had the same issue initially but, after restarting Steam, a 45mb patch appeared and downloaded. Afterwards the performance jumped from ~55 fps to a mostly solid 60.

Sanctuary

Wow, I hope the rest of the music in game can match the title theme. Didn't expect it to sound like that at all, despite the medieval setting.

nbthedude

Seems like most of the crashes are NVidia based this time. Sucks for me but I'm happy for my buddy on a 7970. He's not as tech inclined nor PC centric so honestly aid rather have to deal with my own work arounds on an NVidia than try to deal with his. Ha.

Looks like there was a patch waiting and, after downloading, performance is now very stable. Much better.

It's just crashing now while it wasn't before. :\

Which documentation are you referring to exactly? Most of the visual features on PC seem present on console from what's out there.

The developers themselves even noted that all of the APEX physics, GPU particles, and such have been implemented in all three versions. There is no indication anywhere that the console versions are missing PC exclusive features. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the PC version offers additional visual features.

Engine overview: here

Rendering technolog yof Lords of FAllen

Volumetric lighting of LOTF

The consoles use a simplified GPU physics scheme (not the Apex turbulence fields, the volumetric fog, etc.) on top of lower res volumetric effects.

Also, the Nvidia Gameworks vid.

Wow, this game runs like total ass on my PC. It's a few years old, but most games can run pretty well.

Even when I drop all effects to low and lower the resolution so that the game looks like shit, it's still garbage in terms of framerate. Not happy- wish I'd bought on PS4

Phinor

I had the same issue initially but, after restarting Steam, a 45mb patch appeared and downloaded. Afterwards the performance jumped from ~55 fps to a mostly solid 60.

Just tried this and got a 45MB patch as well. Steam wasn't downloading it before restarting.

Wow, this game runs like total ass on my PC. It's a few years old, but most games can run pretty well.

Even when I drop all effects to low and lower the resolution so that the game looks like shit, it's still garbage in terms of framerate. Not happy- wish I'd bought on PS4

What is your PC?

Kezen

Banned

It does not matter how old your PC is, it all depends on what specs you have. Some 4 years old PCs can run new games well enough.
If your PC was mid-range back in 2010 it's obvious it does not perform well in the most recent releases.

Top Bottom