• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP FFVIII: The Aesthetic Fore-bearer to FFXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennipeg

I figured she'd still have seniority over him. Plus while I don't doubt that Squall cares for his squad mates, his taciturn attitude kinda leads to poor communication/conflict resolution skills that sort of make him not the best fit as leader.

Though I suppose it could be that she spent her year after graduation as a teacher/proctor instead of actually working in the field. Sort of a "Those who can't do SeeD missions, teach SeeD missions" type deal.

Also I love that even in the midst of a civil war SeeD still finds the time and capital to cut me a paycheck.

I know what you mean, the only way she could be senior to Squall post demotion, is if she had a higher SeeD ranking. Squall is given the role of leader, her teaming up with them later doesn't change the chain of command, unless she contacted Cid and he gave the order for her to take over. I do like the little touches in Timber and Galbadia Garden, where she is still in instructor mode, asking them to quote Garden regulations so they know what to do. She seems to fit the advisory role.

Squall's leadership skills do get better, against his will I might add. It's kind of thrust upon him, and there is a reason for that. You won't find out till Disk 3 if I remember right. This game is worth a second play through, you'll pick up on things once you know the full story.

Obviously the admin staff have no time for that shit, people need to get paid lol.

heringer

My second favorite FF. Sure, it's broken as fuck, but it's fun to break it! And playing Triple Triad is way better than grind in combat.

I'm refraining myself from replaying this because I'm hoping SE will make an enhanced port the same way they did IX, with better character models, high res textures and all. Maybe they will even make some adjustments to the gameplay, who knows?

Lucreto

Has anyone played ff8 on vita? I ask cuz I just started but there's some lag in the game. In menu but also during conversations I'll press X and the game sorta hangs.

Anyone have a fix for this? It's kinda annoying.

I thought it was lag but for me at least it was my fingers on the back touchpad.

Jennipeg

My second favorite FF. Sure, it's broken as fuck, but it's fun to break it! And playing Triple Triad is way better than grind in combat.

I'm refraining myself from replaying this because I'm hoping SE will make an enhanced port the same way they did IX, with better character models, high res textures and all. Maybe they will even make some adjustments to the gameplay, who knows?

I'm in the same boat, SE are so random with this stuff that it could happen tomorrow or never. It seems a bit harsh if they skip it though. I just want trophies, that's all I ask. Getting a trophy for collecting all cards will be glorious.

Has anyone played ff8 on vita? I ask cuz I just started but there's some lag in the game. In menu but also during conversations I'll press X and the game sorta hangs.

Anyone have a fix for this? It's kinda annoying.

make sure your hands aren't touching the back panel

guess you can also disable the touchpad for ff8

edit: beaten

Juxo

Nice write up, OP. For me, VII is my favorite. It was the first post-SNES game I played, and my 14 year old mind was entirely blown by the 3D models (even though I still thought they looked slightly insane), as well as the sheer size of it. I remember the first time I left Midgar. It took so long I thought the game was over! (It's on how many disks?!). I eventually borrowed it from my friend and completed it in 32 hours. I then proceeded to play it to completion about 10 more times over the next couple years. I still have my platinum version disks, same with 8, the original disks for 9 and the original disk for Vagrant Story, which is one of the most underappreciated games of all time, ihmo. (Remake, please.)

VIII was always my second favorite. I loved how different the tone was and the whole world they'd built was fascinating and so interesting to me, not to mention visually a huge step up from the cartoonish look of VII. The only aspect I felt held it back was the draw/junction system. I know you don't need to draw, but I thought the materia system was far more elegant, not to mention more flexible. As far as your point about child soldiers being silly, I always thought it made a lot of sense, and guessed they got their inspiration from the Spartans who would train very young boys to be warriors, and subsequently went on to gain a reputation for having an absolutely incredible army.

Kinda meandering a bit now...

I also really want to start VIII again now. Thanks, OP!

Hutchie

Viii is he only ff game i finished. Took me a while to get into and (almost had to do lots of grinding to power up my characters) but i enjoyed it. I made the mistake of not learning the junction system properly until late on in disc 2. Combat has a more interactive element than ffvii and i liked the setting too. Story is a mess but meh what can you do. I barely played cards as i was afraid of losing.

Paltheos

People always bring up the card game as the one, almighty, shining point to this game, but Triple Triad's got problems, man. Sure, the base game is fun, and card collecting is implemented pretty well into the battle elements of the game, but the rules are fucked. So many of the rules sap all the fun out of the game. The last time I played I followed a guide to quarantine all the worst rules into Fisherman's Horizon. IIRC, I could do this only by carefully not playing for most of the game so that I wouldn't spread the rules I don't want to other regions.

Aters

FFVIII disc 1 is still the best Final Fantasy has ever been.

The disc 1 of FFVII, VIII and IX are all glorious. FF games are easy to get into because Square don't use the "peaceful town get invaded" trope. The disc 1 is always full of action from the beginning and gets people hooked very early.

I really like the aesthetics of the Balamb underground; has a sort of Diesel/Atomicpunk feel to it, like Bioshock meets Fallout.

The disc 1 of FFVII, VIII and IX are all glorious. FF games are easy to get into because Square don't use the "peaceful town get invaded" trope. The disc 1 is always full of action from the beginning and gets people hooked very early.

To be fair, VIII has a slower gameplay start than VII, IX, or X; it takes about an hour to get to the Dollet mission.

I've probably written more forum posts about my absolute love for VIII in the last 17 years than any other game, so I'll spare you guys post #432720 of my gushing feelings on this. :p

That said, OP, don't forget to just explore and really dig into the world when you can. There is SO much world-building in things like the magazines you can find, ever-changing NPC dialogue, and by just looking at details in each and every gorgeous pre-rendered location. Not even joking- I was still uncovering cool, new little bits of lore even after my sixth full playthrough. :)

Unlike XIII, which lazily throws most of its history into datalogs, VIII litters its history all over the place. Just fantastic. That's really something I miss from the older FFs. Hope XV brings that back.

Every time I replay FF8, I think to myself "This is way better than I remember...." and love it. Then sometime around Disc 3 my love goes downhill. Then it completely tanks. And by the end, I realize how much I hate FF8.

I've probably written more forum posts about my absolute love for VIII in the last 17 years than any other game, so I'll spare you guys post #432720 of my gushing feelings on this. :p

That said, OP, don't forget to just explore and really dig into the world when you can. There is SO much world-building in things like the magazines you can find, ever-changing NPC dialogue, and by just looking at details in each and every gorgeous pre-rendered location. Not even joking- I was still uncovering cool, new little bits of lore even after my sixth full playthrough. :)

Unlike XIII, which lazily throws most of its history into datalogs, VIII litters its history all over the place. Just fantastic. That's really something I miss from the older FFs. Hope XV brings that back.

I do like chatting to NPCs from time to time, but in general I'm critical pathing it. I've been enjoying the world so far, though like I said I wish they dug a bit more into what made Galbadia tick, though again a lot of that is because I have this headcanon cooked up.

Oh wow, the cutting between Gameplay/FMV to FMV, back to gameplay/FMV and finally gameplay when you emerge from the flying Garden is really cool. This must've been a technical marvel when it first came out.

I also like how some conversations will play out without you activating them.

Oh wow, the cutting between Gameplay/FMV to FMV, back to gameplay/FMV and finally gameplay when you emerge from the flying Garden is really cool. This must've been a technical marvel when it first came out.

It really was.
After VII became a worldwide phenomenon, there were a few 'me too!' JRPGs hitting the market in the late '90s. VIII released and immediately reminded everyone that there truly was a vast ocean of difference between Squaresoft/FF production values and everyone else.

I remember my local EB constantly cycling VIII footage (gameplay & CG alike) for a couple months leading up to release. Every time I was there it was drawing attention. :}

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Yup, that was the "showcase" of the FMV/gameplay blending I was hinting at a few pages back.

I adored that sequence when it was new.

Rising_Hei

FFVIII is the least replayable of the series after FFXIII. Such boring gameplay, everything is slow and a hidrance.

Sanctuary

I didn't realize that FFVIII (similarly to FFXII) was so widely disliked initially. Some still claim that both of those up until XIII were the scourges of the series.

I personally found FFVII to be extremely overrated and FFVIII to be greatly underrated. FFVII should be commended for being the game that it was and what it started, but FFVIII was a much more fleshed out FF game and also quite a bit more cohesive IMO. I also greatly prefer the aesthetics of it as well, second only to FFIX.

Every time I replay FF8, I think to myself "This is way better than I remember...." and love it. Then sometime around Disc 3 my love goes downhill. Then it completely tanks. And by the end, I realize how much I hate FF8.

I actually feel similarly, although I don't hate it, I simply start getting really burned out on it. When the game first came out, I hit the third disc and just stopped playing until over a decade later. I would rather replay FFIX and FFXII though out of any of the post FFVI games.

I would argue that the original game would still look better on something like Retroarch with the right shader. I'm currently finishing up IX on it, and even though I think the character models look greatly improved in the more recent rereleases of it, the backgrounds get absolutely destroyed. I'd rather there not be such a stark contrast happening. Good on top of shit.

Is it bad that I imagine NORG talking like Boss Nas? Also is it ever explained why monsters rule the Gardens? I thought they were Centra/Dollet Empire artifacts.

I didn't realize that FFVIII (similarly to FFXII) was so widely disliked initially. Some still claim that both of those up until XIII were the scourges of the series.

I personally found FFVII to be extremely overrated and FFVIII to be greatly underrated. FFVII should be commended for being the game that it was and what it started, but FFVIII was a much more fleshed out FF game and also quite a bit more cohesive IMO. I also greatly prefer the aesthetics of it as well, second only to FFIX.

I dunno, I thought FFVIII got a bad wrap several years after it came out. Spoony's hyperbolically negative review series definitely colored my perception.

FFVIII has better aesthetics, I agree. But I still think FFVII's characterizations are stronger so far, though Squall is growing on me a bit since it's shown more that he's a scared kid over his head (particularly upon returning to the Garden and finding his home turned upside down). Rinoa's been a bit better too, I hope Quistis gets some more characterization.

I miss that kind of care and attention in terms of world building from JRPGs that you just don't find as much these days on home consoles.

Sanctuary

But I still think FFVII's characterizations are stronger so far

I can't honestly think of a single character in FFVII aside from Sephiroth that had any real development going on. Sure, you can totally remember each character by way of their aesthetic designs and their overall generic motivations, but they weren't particularly deep in the translated US release. No idea how much better they might have been in the original story.

Plus, it kind of set the stage for immaturity/parody right at the start of the game with Barett. I mean seriously? The cast of FFVIII might start out as a bunch of broody Cloud wannabes, but they quickly turn into their own, realized individuals and they seem far more unique than anyone personality wise from the FFVII party members.

That's not to say that I didn't mostly enjoy FFVII upon release, because I did. I just found the story to be entirely lacking--swiss cheese in plot holes--and it also annoyed me how the art styles were completely random between world view, battle view and even the cinematics couldn't decide how they wanted to look.

Some of the fondest memories of my entire life playing this game. Means more to me than I can put into words really.

EDIT: This isn't mine but I do still have the strategy guide that I bought from a mom and pop gamestore after I beat the game for the first time.

official-final-fantasy-viii-8-playstation-1-ps1-brady-strategy-guide-book-42dc535e25dca34fc428cd7b74fbd414.jpg

I spent forever going through meticulously my second play through trying to find everything I missed and really soaking it all in.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I always thought VIII suffered in reputation due to the simple fact that so much of the audience jumped on board with VII, and VIII was their first taste of a follow up.

VIII was one of the largest selling games in the series, and I imagine millions of those sales were to people who didn't know what they were getting into. And admittedly, it's not exactly VII in terms of being a groundbreaking moment in history.

That's not to say there aren't legitimate complaints about the draw system, the scenario, etc. That's all in the mix of the reputation. But I always saw the majority of the reputation being derived from it being the first "not-VII" that millions of VII johnny-come-latelies experienced.

And let's be clear, VIII never had the reputation of XIII. FFXIII is far and away the most backlashed entry in the series (perhaps II could compare, but that was infinitely smaller of a offline fandom back then).

I might compare the reception of VIII to the reception of XII. Lots of people adoring it and turning into gushing fans, lots of people saying "WTF am I playing?"

Edit: now I re-read it and you compare it to XII not XIII. Oops. Well I agree.

I can't honestly think of a single character in FFVII aside from Sephiroth that had any real development going on. Sure, you can totally remember each character by way of their aesthetic designs and their overall generic motivations, but they weren't particularly deep in the translated US release. No idea how much better they might have been in the original story.

Plus, it kind of set the stage for immaturity/parody right at the start of the game with Barett. I mean seriously? The cast of FFVIII might start out as a bunch of broody Cloud wannabes, but they quickly turn into their own, realized individuals and they seem far more unique than anyone personality wise from the FFVII party members.

The FFVII characters have pretty clear character arc: Cloud's is coming to terms with his identity; Tifa's is discovering how to approach Cloud, who she has complicated thoughts and anxieties about; Barret's is coming to terms with his regret and bitterness driving his campaign against Shinra, not high-minded idealism. (That's another thing I like about FFVII that other people have pointed out; it doesn't sugar coat the fact that AVALANCHE is a terrorist group)

And now Squall is having a Shinji Ikari moment.

Best Final Fantasy game. Best final dungeon and best final boss fight of the entire series. It's so good. And before people go complaining about Ultimecia only showing up at the end, just stop. It happens every time there's an FF8 thread. Spoilered in case OP cares or not
do you people even know how possession works, I seriously want to drink anti freeze when people don't understand that Edea is not fucking Edea, it's Ultimecia speaking and doing shit through Edea's body the whole time Jesus fuuuck

Meowster

Your thread has gotten my hype, back to replaying my game at the D-District Prison. I think Disk 1 is really fantastic but I love all the twists and turns of Disk 2, it gets really political and grand but they also give you more details of why Squall is the way he is and has a fantastic ending. I'm torn between those two. Disk 3 is really fun too, if different, and Disk 4 is so short I hardly think it is fair to mention.

Op, you should also remember that these games were designed with the intention of selling strategy guides. The best way to get the full experience is to use a guide.

Baalzebup

Is it bad that I imagine NORG talking like Boss Nas? Also is it ever explained why monsters rule the Gardens? I thought they were Centra/Dollet Empire artifacts.

They are and they are not ruled by monsters. Norg is of a non-human, but completely sentient race. He is/was Cids financial backer in setting up the Garden within the Centra construction that forms the core of the Garden.

the music in the starting school is maybe my favorite in the series. god i could listen to that all the time. it is so beautiful.

Jennipeg

Yeah, this gets explained in a conversation with Cid, I think only Balamb has a NORG problem. There is a side quest later on that is a must. You get to see where he comes from, it's awesome.

Jennipeg

Your thread has gotten my hype, back to replaying my game at the D-District Prison. I think Disk 1 is really fantastic but I love all the twists and turns of Disk 2, it gets really political and grand but they also give you more details of why Squall is the way he is and has a fantastic ending. I'm torn between those two. Disk 3 is really fun too, if different, and Disk 4 is so short I hardly think it is fair to mention.

Yeah Disk 4 is really just the final dungeon, I've seen a few people on the thread say that Disk 3 lost them in their play throughs. But it's actually my favourite, the reveal of
Esthar
and going to the
Lunar base
are some of my all time favourite moments in gaming. Finding out why there are no radio waves was a legitimate 'holy shit' moment for me back in the day.

V3rt1go

J-Dorama FANTASY VII!

My favourite of all time! You made me remember a special game, you made me remember special moments, you made me listen to the OST again.

Thank you OP!

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't understand why they haven't put the steam version of this onto PS4 like they did with VII? Makes no sense

Because SE have a very slow and deliberate release schedule with their games in which they stagger platforms. Same reason the new FFIX didn't hit every system at once.

Meowster

Yeah Disk 4 is really just the final dungeon, I've seen a few people on the thread say that Disk 3 lost them in their play throughs. But it's actually my favourite, the reveal of
Esthar
and going to the
Lunar base
are some of my all time favourite moments in gaming. Finding out why there are no radio waves was a legitimate 'holy shit' moment for me back in the day.
Finding out that
Adele has been sending her thoughts via radio waves
was definitely a 'holy shit' moment. There is so much detail in VIII. I wouldn't have even noticed small things like that. I've been playing this game since I was six and I still manage to find new things.

Jennipeg

Finding out that
Adele has been sending her thoughts via radio waves
was definitely a 'holy shit' moment. There is so much detail in VIII. I wouldn't have even noticed small things like that. I've been playing this game since I was six and I still manage to find new things.

Oh yeah, in Timber? I didn't notice it either until I read about it. I love things like that, I think it's almost necessary to play this game twice, unless you hate it of course. You see everything in a different light and pick up on so much more, even character motivations have a new dimension.

I'm not a fan of data logs in general, but I scoured the computer in Garden for info, at least the entires were short with big font. As opposed to the walls of text in XIII. I find the Sorceresses fascinating.

Ochibi

My favourite Final Fantasy (and also my first one). The Final battle is epic. The soundtrack is flawless and it was the best looking FF at that time (holy sh*t that opening with Liberi Fatali)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-rGV1JF_rM A beautiful physical attack... It should have been magic !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7xsTSHvbWE

(my favourite Limit break with Wishing Star. Quistis <3)

Apocalypse magic is slick. Too bad it's only available for the last battle (but you can cheat lol)

My most disliked FF game.
Ok setting , good graphics , awesome music .. Horrible story & characters .. one of the lamest twists i encountered while playing rpgs.
And the Quest design wasn't made with human in mind
The level design was so realistic , it wasn't practical when you were playing it

The card game was fun to play and is the best part of the game . Disc 2 & 3 are filled with garbage and SO MUCH FILLER

Genio88

FFVIII is definitely my favorite one, perhaps because it was the first i played, the one that got me into the serie and i put like 200 hours into it(i was young)
I loved the "realistic" characters and world with advanced technology and wild nature melt together, in this regards FFXV really reminds me of that, that's also why i preordered XV and i'm really looking forward for it as i haven't been doing for a Final Fantasy game in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom