• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT4| New Ch/Vols! - SEE FIRST POST FOR RULES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

KuGsj.gif

It's a boat, DTL.

Thats what I try tell myself when watching this ;_;

I wouldn't call it an ass pull when the fairy tail(no just no dtl) about boats having a spirt got brought up in sky island and serval times time water seven.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm not surprised someone who like Sasuke has bad taste. Sorry Stat Flow, but if you don't see how that's one of the most emotional moments of the series then I feel sorry for you and the human race. The Going Merry saving them is irrelevant to the entire story arc it's in, largely. Something doesn't need to be realistic to be emotional and I personally cried like a bitch once the Merry actually died.
At least we know that Oda knows how boats act in real life. Right, Big One?
There is no ambiguity in One Piece

The Going Merry saving them is irrelevant to the entire story arc it's in, largely. Something doesn't need to be realistic to be emotional and I personally cried like a bitch once the Merry actually died.

I dont think it was irrelevant but I think you are spot on, that and the time Going Merry was with us made it all the more emotional and sad. Almost as intense as Ace's even.

Cwarrior

In world where bazookas can eat dog dog devil fruit and swords eating elephant devil fruit, a boat having a spirt is the least sillyest thing.

PK Gaming

Whether or not it was an asspull...hinted at...or whatever. When the actual event happened, I laughed and found it in horrible taste despite the "cartoony" nature of the OP world I already came to expect.

Just, terrible.

I don't know man, that was a legitimately good scene. After the fight of the century (Luffy vs Lucci) I had no idea what was going to happen next, or how they were going to escape enies lobby. I can understand why you hated it though.

My brother had the same reaction.

Big One

Banned
At least we know that Oda knows how boats act in real life. Right, Big One?

*ambiguous quote*
My quote stands true today, though the Merry's death being hinted at is probably the most ambiguous thing in the series, if there's any. What makes it emotional isn't necessarily because the Going Merry died, but it represents all the hardships the crew has went through. The Going Merry's death represents the Strawhats, largely, moving on, and having to leave a precious memory in their past.

The entire arc of them replacing the Going Merry is far more key to why it's emotional rather than the Going Merry dying itself, in which Usopp represent the factor that refuses to move on and wants to stick to old ways, while Luffy represents the factor that takes a more logical approach and needs to put the past behind so he can move on.

The entire CP9 arc was about change, not just in the Going Merry, but for the entire crew itself. It was about them dealing with a variety of problems and coming out on top in the end due to their ambition pushing them. This is what you call character development, not the thinly veiled "Why me sad?" shit that Bleach passes off as character development.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's not the boat having "spirit" that's ridiculous. It's the boat getting there in the first place.
My quote stands true today, though the Merry's death being hinted at is probably the most ambiguous thing in the series, if there's any. What makes it emotional isn't necessarily because the Going Merry died, but it represents all the hardships the crew has went through. The Going Merry's death represents the Strawhats, largely, moving on, and having to leave a precious memory in their past.
And? I'm glad you can deduce obvious themes in the arc. You're a godsend to manga fans and the human race.

The entire arc of them replacing the Going Merry is far more key to why it's emotional rather than the Going Merry dying itself, in which Usopp represent the factor that refuses to move on and wants to stick to old ways, while Luffy represents the factor that takes a more logical approach and needs to put the past behind so he can move on.

The entire CP9 arc was about change, not just in the Going Merry, but for the entire crew itself. It was about them dealing with a variety of problems and coming out on top in the end due to their ambition pushing them. This is what you call character development, not the thinly veiled "Why me sad?" shit that Bleach passes off as character development.

This sums it up quite nicely.

I've always respected One Piece for it's capacity to combine fairy tale-like fantasy with harsher more grounded themes.

The fact that it's a boat isn't important, if any of you have ever cried at a movie or story you're still crying over fiction, which is equally stupid. One reason that the going merry scene, for me, works is because despite how far fetched and unrealistic the scope of it might be, the scene signifies exactly what Big One just mentioned, change.

Almost every single aspect of Water 7's merry arc relates to refusal to let go. And the near-dream like return of Merry, as if a dream come true, was immediately followed up by the harsh reality of the ship having come to it's end. Obviously all of this would've been pathetic if Merry had returned just so they could continue sailing on it without any worries at all like some sort of idyllic dream, but that didn't happen.

As many have also said, One Piece as a story is also willing to give us enough hints about it's more dream-like sequences and aspects so we understand why and how miraculous stuff happens. But it's willing to take that extra step to make realism sink back in.

I've always liked One Piece for it's willingness to take this step without the desire to cause you trauma at the same time. (I'm looking at you Code Geass, curse you and everything you stand for.) Even if it might seem silly or whatever.

Kreed

Magi 1-76:

Ah Japan, only you in the year 2012, can still get away with transforming entire ethnic groups into your own image to retell a story. Well except for the evil characters, they all look the way they are supposed to look. But considering the American Dragon Ball movie, I guess we haven't gotten too far in this regard either.

But ignoring that, this was a good weekend read/a good series to follow regularly. I like the sense of adventure this series has with the "treasure hunting" in addition to fable/magic lore being mixed into the story. I was hoping Aladdin would have grown up a bit more by the time I got this far, but at least he's more "dependable" now and maybe less "aloof". I'm guessing Aladdin's crew will gain at least one more character based on the make up of Sinbad's crew (unless Ja'far is supposed to be equal to Aladdin?).

Magi 1-76:

Ah Japan, only you in the year 2012, can still get away with transforming entire ethnic groups into your own image to retell a story. Well except for the evil characters, they all look the way they are supposed to look. But considering the American Dragon Ball movie, I guess we haven't gotten too far in this regard either.

To be fair, Aladdin is supposed to take place in China. Just someone's clearly misinformed view of China. That should give everyone free rein to do whatever the hell they want with an adaptation.

PK Gaming

One Piece Blue Deep Q&A's

Oda Q&A. Gonna do it in bits. Here we go:

Oda liked collecting bugs as a child and the one he collected the most of were grasshoppers.

Oda's fav bug is Miyama stag beetle.
Least fav is katydid

He didn't have a particularly fav part of art class as a child, he just enjoyed drawing.

His position when he played soccer was Defender

His best move in soccer was a straight shot.

Favorite soccer player when he was young Rene Higuita

cont

When he met Toriyama he felt that he was actually kind of like Goku.

He always thought Toriyama was a really high-standing person but as he met him many times he came to think of him more like Goku.

They ask him what he'll be doing 30 years from now. He says 'goofing off and sleeping'. So there you go folks, One PIece will not last another 30 years. Yes I know, try to hide the shock lol.

What are you into now? He emphatically answers 'Sunbathing'.

Oda's into collecting Ashley Wood figures. They're really cool. And really expensive.

They ask what he listens to recently and he says Mr. Children and rakugo (traditional Japanese comedy different from manzai)

Any memories of music? Mostly 70's soul music, it reminds him of being in the car when he was young.

His favorite hot drink is: "COFFEE!!"

His favorite cold drink is Coke.

Is there a particular action of ladies that he finds sexy? When women hold up hair behind their head. (ie. Nami's WANTED poster)

Is there something that he think is cool that guys do? When they hold a razor and shave. Says he can't do that. (guess he doesn't grow facial hair very well)

They ask if there's anyone he's currently following or intrested in? His answer is: John Belushi

They ask if he's cried recently and why. He said he cried when he watched the movie 'Oppai Bare-" or 'Boobs & Volleyballs'. Personally, despite the name it's a pretty solid film. He goes on to explain that the reason was because he started watching with 'impure' thoughts and wasn't prepared for what the story was really about. He says he doesn't really cry during movies.

They ask what he wants most right now and he responds, "Time to play with my family."

They ask if he remembers what the very first picture he drew was. He doesn't remember.

He's most comfortable at his desk. His home is too comfortable and therefore the enemy of his serialization.

Anything he'd like to do that he hasn't? Go fishing in a boat and eat the fish on the boat.

They ask what people he gets along with and he says 'people that live in their own world'.

They ask what he'd do if he had a vacation for a week and he says, "Do absolutely nothing wherever I'd go on vacation'.

First thing he does in the morning? Drink a glass of water.

A message to his readers: '5 years from now, and even 10 years from now, I'm gonna be an even more awesome mangaka, so thank you in advance.'

Last time he was asked what kind of DF he'd like to eat and said Barabara. Now he'd like to eat the Hana Hana. (He answered Hana Hana already in another interview years back)

He does NOT want to eat the Hito Hito fruit.

Oda would like to add K-1 fighter Alistair Overeem to his own 'Funbari Pirate Crew'. The reason? "HE'S STRONG"

They ask what pirate crew he'd like to join up with and he says Shanks' crew. He says it's because they seem the most laidback.

They ask Oda of everything he wants to draw, what percentage has he completed? He says, 'As far as One Piece is concerned, about half of it'. They follow up, asking if there's any chance of 'what he wants to draw' increasing and he says, 'Absolutely'.

cont

He can't sit in one position at his desk so he sits in all kinds of positions.

They ask what his average hours of sleep per night are this past month. He says about 4.

He changes pen tips about every 2-3 pages (woah...)

What part of his personality does he think is well-suited to being a mangaka? 'Loving to draw'.

What doesn't he think is well suited? He doesn't particularly like thinking up stories but he doesn't want to steal so he does his best.

Has he gotten thinner or fatter since starting the serial? An emphatic FATTER.

How does he start to draw a character's face? By drawing the outline.

WHich is more fun to draw? Children or eldery? Elderly.

Likewise macho guys or hot girls? HOT GIRLS

Besides his manga tools, what important item does he need when working? COFFEE

The 15 years since serialization began seem like they've flied by until he stops and thinks about it all.

How has he changed over the 15 years with respect to work? He used to think it was cool to finish his work quickly, now he prefers to take his time with them. (Really? His old work looks far more detailed)

He currently has 4 regular assistants and a bunch that help wrap things up.

A word to aspiring mangaka? 'I want you to show me some skillfully drawn images'.

Favorite Miyazaki film? Nausicaa

Fav Miyazaki character? Future boy Conan

Fav Dragon Quest? 3

DQ character that left biggest impression on him? Golem.

When he reads JUMP, does he do it in any order? He doesn't read JUMP much these days.

THAT'S IT! There's another long interview with Suzuki from Ghibli that was transcribed from a podcast interview. Doesn't have too much to do with OP so I won't touch it right now but maybe someday!

There are a few questions I left out because I was unfamilliar with them so I'll go back and add them sometime.

Wiseblade

So I finally made top 10... That probably down to TLR.

Magi 1-76:

But ignoring that, this was a good weekend read/a good series to follow regularly. I like the sense of adventure this series has with the "treasure hunting" in addition to fable/magic lore being mixed into the story. I was hoping Aladdin would have grown up a bit more by the time I got this far, but at least he's more "dependable" now and maybe less "aloof". I'm guessing Aladdin's crew will gain at least one more character based on the make up of Sinbad's crew (unless Ja'far is supposed to be equal to Aladdin?).
Yeah, It's was definitely the sense of adventure that got me hooked. I think Aladdin's fine the way he is for now, since this series looks like a slow burner.

I think Jafar's just another companion, since he;s using a lesser relic.

To be fair, Aladdin is supposed to take place in China. Just someone's clearly misinformed view of China. That should give everyone free rein to do whatever the hell they want with an adaptation.

Yeah, isn't Arabian nights super anachronistic anyway? it's doesn't bother me outside of the whitewashing, which is a little irksome.

barbapapa

It sounds like you still have some hope. The dream is over dude. Akira Hiramoto just does pervy comedies now. :(

There was a notice in a chapter of one of his other manga (a follow-up to Ago-nashi Gen) at the end of 2010 where he stated he's aiming to wrap up the first "part" of Devil Blues (fyi Devil Blues went on hiatus in 2008). So it might continue one day all the same, with the outlook of at least a second part. It's a straw, but hey it's better than hearing it's officially canned.
What's probably more troubling, is the fact that a continuation probably won't be published in English at all. Del Rey's out of the game, and I can't imagine it sold well enough for another publisher to pick it right back up again.

upandaway

what's in Sunday?
Buyuden, Anagle Mole, Hayate, Silver Spoon, TWGOK, Magi.. probably forgetting a couple more
Magazine has like what, those two rage manga, Ippo and Cage of Eden. Alright and Gamaran and Fairy Tail. Eh. EH.

I won't fight over it or anything but with those two I'd pick Sunday any day (let me delude myself into thinking I did that pun on purpose, please)

survivor

Banned
Buyuden, Anagle Mole, Hayate, Silver Spoon, TWGOK, Magi.. probably forgetting a couple more
Magazine has like what, those two rage manga, Ippo and Cage of Eden. Alright and Gamaran and Fairy Tail. Eh. EH.

I won't fight over it or anything but with those two I'd pick Sunday any day (let me delude myself into thinking I did that pun on purpose, please)
Jump should seriously hire those Sunday editors cause they know how to pick quality non battle manga.

Nisekoi

Who didn't see that coming? lol

Since I'm reading TLR, I just saw this same exact plot being used. Is it a common thing among bad slice of life romance manga?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Accel World Chapter 9

Man this is taking for ever to get released. I figured that "girl" was most likely a guy right away.

so what were the other so called ass pulls that saved them?
Imma gonna spin and let my legs catch fire than kick wolf guy on da face.

Oh look i can´t cut metal, oh wait i can (Zorro vs. 1)/ imma gonna do Ahusra path which i have never done or thought of doing before.

Well imma gonna pump blood up and down so i can get faster and imma gonna bite my rubber skin so i can enlarge my bones.

And? It has about as much emotions and depth as other OP characters
That´s so cute.
I'm not surprised someone who like Sasuke has bad taste. Sorry Stat Flow, but if you don't see how that's one of the most emotional moments of the series then I feel sorry for you and the human race. The Going Merry saving them is irrelevant to the entire story arc it's in, largely. Something doesn't need to be realistic to be emotional and I personally cried like a bitch once the Merry actually died.

It was a pathetic and failed attempt to humanize an inanimate object.

Or it failed because some people don't see an emotional attachment to a ship?

But "some people" will always fail to get an emotional attachment.

I have zero emotional attachment to anything AT ALL in Bleach, that doesn't mean Bleach failed as a manga.

I get "why" it can't be sold to some people, but claiming it's some sort of failed attempt is quite harsh for a scene that quite a few people loved.

I don't even get why the fact that it's an "inanimate object" is such a big deal, last I checked fiction is fake anyway.

Just because Bleach is about magical flying ghosts with superpowers doesn't mean that attaching emotions to them is pathetic. I really don't follow the logic behind that.

/minor edit, I'd also like to point out that Going Merry isn't exactly an inanimate object considering it was given an actual "spirit". I'd say it's around the same line as the swords in Bleach, that all have their own personality/spirit as well.

Oh look i can´t cut metal, oh wait i can (Zorro vs. 1)/ imma gonna do Ahusra path which i have never done or thought of doing before.

Well imma gonna pump blood up and down so i can get faster and imma gonna bite my rubber skin so i can enlarge my bones.

It was a pathetic and failed attempt to humanize an inanimate object.

I so sick of seeing you with the same bullshit over and over .
Oda does not need to explain in detail how every move in OP works .
He has never done that and he never will , if you can't put certain things together that is not the manga fault .
OP was never base on training arcs and how powers work like some other manga .

When it comes to merry it's up to each person to decide if he fail humanize an inanimate object since a fair amount of people seem to like that part i would say he got the job done .

You don't know what the term "ass pull" means. I think that's the problem. Sanji's diable jamble is no more ridiculous than what the CP9 was doing. Zoro cutting steel had to do with hearing the "breath of things" which was talked multiple times before that point and it was even mentioned Mihawks ability to cut through elements. Luffy's gears were influenced by the CP9. They flat out said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom