• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March WrassleGAF |SHOW-T| Big Shoes Mean Big Appetites

strobogo

Banned
Storyline writing should be at its best during WM season. That makes no sense. TNA is really hard to root for because whenever you like something they're doing, the will either fuck it up early or drag it out so long you hate it. Everything.

I can't think of a single angle in 11 years that came to a proper and satisfying conclusion. Everything is either dropped abruptly, fizzles out, or is drawn out months past the point of anyone caring.

The last thing they almost got right was the A Double title run, right up until he ran into the Jeff Hardy painted wall.

A8 has been so stupid because it started out great, then nothing happened for 9 months, and then everything that should have happened during that time has been jammed into the past month. Just like THERRRRRREEE HEEERRRREEE. That shit went on for TEN MONTHS with nothing happening on screen. Everything was behind the scenes and explained later. 10 months.

somedevil

Austin Aries title run was going great until he got overshadowed by the Claire Lynch and Aces and Eights storyline. This killed his momentum and he faced Arm breaker on pay per view and then he faced Hardy who finished it.

Jitters

I search for you everyday.

m47W33K.gif

I like the undercard to WM. It reminds me of WM17 for some reason.

Storyline writing should be at its best during WM season. That makes no sense. TNA is really hard to root for because whenever you like something they're doing, the will either fuck it up early or drag it out so long you hate it. Everything.

I can't think of a single angle in 11 years that came to a proper and satisfying conclusion. Everything is either dropped abruptly, fizzles out, or is drawn out months past the point of anyone caring.

The last thing they almost got right was the A Double title run, right up until he ran into the Jeff Hardy painted wall.

A8 has been so stupid because it started out great, then nothing happened for 9 months, and then everything that should have happened during that time has been jammed into the past month. Just like THERRRRRREEE HEEERRRREEE. That shit went on for TEN MONTHS with nothing happening on screen. Everything was behind the scenes and explained later. 10 months.

What makes no sense? That Wrestlemania season means shitty writing? Normally I'd agree, but that's not how the WWE have operated over the last few years. They've been more interested in setting up super matches than actually making the feuds compelling. Personally, I'd bet Rock/Cena would've been an even bigger draw if they'd bothered to come up with decent build-ups.

As for TNA, I agree that they fuck things up all the time (usually thanks to Hogan) but I at least get the impression that Pritchard and Lagana are trying to improve the product, something I don't get when watching WWE. And I can't see the WWE changing until at least Triple H takes over, though even then we're not out of the woods yet, as Stephanie's the one that ruined WWE creative in the first place.

As I said before, I wouldn't even consider TNA a good promotion, just one that's less worse than WWE.

Alucard

Banned
TNA has been decent since the Bully Ray reveal. Not great, but more interesting than the WWE for me. They've got more compelling stories going, though I realize that's partly due to WM season in the WWE.

I've made an agreement with my roommate that she'll do it for me, just one FB post should be enough so people in all the different social circles and platforms would get wind of it. Sad stuff but something you should take care of just in case.

In other news my attempts to meet Mechashiva tonight have been sort of undone. :/
He was barely there. Abra Cadaver did most of the running around tonight.

I think I'll get a fucking heart-attack reading through the fucking MGS threads on the gaming-side one day. Oblivious fucking morons. I'll just chill here *Breathes Heavily*

Striker

WWE put up a "Top 10 Wrestlemania Championship Changes" video:

10 Rick Rude / Ultimate Warrior, IC title
9 Hulk Hogan / Yokozuna, WWF title (lol)
8 John Cena / Big Show, U.S. title
7 Edge & Christian / Hardy's, Dudley Boyz, Tag titles
6 Rey Mysterio / Kurt Angle, Randy Orton, World title
5 Undertaker / Batista, World title
4 Shawn Michaels / Bret Hart, WWF title
3 Ultimate Warrior / Hulk Hogan, WWF title
2 Ricky Steamboat / Randy Savage, IC title
1 Steve Austin / Shawn Michaels, WWF title

It's a sign.

Razorskin

----- ------

I'd put in Benoit winning the WHC but... you know they wouldn't

strobogo

Banned
ecwontnn.tumblr.com

ECW on TNN August 27, 1999

The debut episode of ECW on TNN. This show is, in fact a compilation show. The show that was recorded was so shitty that Paul E said fuck that and decided to air some PPV matches instead. So that started things off on a sour note with TNN.

Rob Van Dam vs Jerry Lynn ECW TV Championship Hardcore Heaven 1999

This is basically the template for indy wrestling in the post ECW/WCW world. Stand offs, strike battles, crazy bumps, all of which are more important than the story of the match. A springboard drop kick puts RVD on the floor, which Lynn follows up with a plancha. As RVD was getting back in the ring, Jerry hit a guillotine leg drop. That's followed up with a super bulldog.

via Imgflip GIF Generator

2 count. Fonzie pushes Jerry while he's on the ropes, which crotches him. He holds a chair so RVD can do a Van Daminator, but Jerry ducked it and hit a weak chair shot that got boos. RVD put Jerry back on the ropes, hit a diving kick, which sent Jerry face first on the floor, destroying his face.

After the break, we come back to see RVD diving into the crowd onto Lynn. In the ring, Lynn's tornado DDT was reversed into a Northern lights suplex. Sunset flip powerbomb out of the corner almost gets us a new champion. They go back into the crowd where RVD hits a Van Daminator off the railing.

Jerry hits a sunset flip bomb again, this time from the ring to the floor and through a table.

Fonzie gets brained with a chair and Jerry hits a German suplex for a 2 count. They both are standing on the top rope when they both slip off, which the ECW crowd were not kind about. Jerry hit a dropkick Van Daminator. Rob hits the frog splash, but in the time he took to make the pin, Jerry recovered enough to roll him up. He kicked out, hit another Van Daminator, and another frog splash to retain the TV Championship.

Joey Styles does promo work for ROLLLERJAM. After the break, we'll meet TAZ! Lol, this was an excuse for them to show clips of all the famous dudes (From Foley to Austin, curiously Rick Steiner and not Scott Steiner, Ron Simmons, and more) who HAVEN'T won their title.

Shane Douglas throwing down the NWA Championship and naming himself the ECW Champion is shown. Five years ago to the night of this airing. This is another excuse to show clips of guys that are currently in WWF or WCW who HAVE held their title.

Taz vs Rhino ECW Championship Hardcore TV 1999

A pre match promo saw a lot of bleeping and catch phrases. Rhino gets in the ring and hits a powerbomb. Taz gets up and flips him off before hitting a lariatooo. Head and arm Tazplex!

This is followed with a super belly to belly Tazplex. Out comes a table. Half nelson Tazplex through a table. Tazmission for the win.

Joey next hypes up Sabu. A hype package with Paul E. doing a voice over is played. Paul will make you believe anything. Sabu is BANNED in the US!

Spike Dudley vs Big Sal Gazziano

Ball shot and Acid Drop. Spike wins!

TO THE BACK
. Jason and The Impact Players cut a promo. Oh shit. Cyrus! Dawn Marie can't even spell out Bytch. As in, it is muted. Both the spelling and saying of the word. Cyrus says he hot shotted the territory, pumped up buy rates, and gave Joey Styles the rub. Jason claims Joey begged him for a rub once. Clips of the Impact Players beating up various stars are shown over the promo.

A highlight video is shown to Bawitdaba. Kid Rock was hot in 1999.

TO THE BACK. Taz promo. Towel and all. Where are the vest and jokes? This is full of Taz talking about various WCW and WWF guys he had beaten, like Jericho, Shane, Bam Bam Big Yellow, Skip, and even Jerry Lawler.

So ends the first episode of ECW on TNN. I think it was a pretty good primer for people unfamiliar with the company. However, I don't think they gained any new viewers at all for the entire run. Just people who were already ECW fans. Shitty quality gifs just reinforce the ECW look, so it works out this time.

Penguin

I don't get their criteria.. some of these make sense from a historical/wrestlers standpoint

But Taker winning?
Hogan winning?

somedevil

WWE officials are getting ready to call up at least 2 stars from NXT after WrestleMania 29. Regarding the usual round of releases around WrestleMania time, there hasn't been much talk about anyone getting cut this year.

So its Ohno and somoneone else. Can't be Bray because they need to bring up his family as well. I wonder if its Pac or maybe it will be Corey Graves since they need a CM Punk clone as Bryan Alvarez called him because Punk is going to get some time off after Wrestlemania.

So its Ohno and somoneone else. Can't be Bray because they need to bring up his family as well. I wonder if its Pac or maybe it will be Corey Graves since they need a CM Punk clone as Bryan Alvarez called him because Punk is going to get some time off after Wrestlemania.

Yea I think Ohno is a lock. I can see them bringing PAC rather quickly as well or Cory Graves for the aformentioned reason. Another one to consider is Paige. They wanna freshen up the Diva's Division? Bring some fresh talent.

A week out from Mania and things are actually looking halfway decent weather wise.

Day 54°F
Chance of Rain:10%
Wind: SSW at 11 mph
Humidity:50%
UV Index:6 - High
Sunrise: 6:29 am
Moonset: 4:56 pm

Night 44°
Mostly Cloudy
Chance of Rain:10%
Wind: WSW at 6 mph
Humidity:67%

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Huh, saw Heavy in a Tomb Raider thread. I thought he stopped posting all together. Oh well.

As for NXT, PAC I could easily see just because he is quite ready and would fill that "high flying" they long ago lost/failed to hit with Rey and Sin Cara. Poor Kofi and his "I can jump really high" would have to change, but I think that's for the best.

Conor O'Brian is someone I would not at all be surprised by. Just for the same reason we have Ryback and Fandango currently, reward for being at it for so long and going with terrible gimmicks (the rat) without major complaint or fight.

I wouldn't be opposed to Leo Kruger being brought up. He still requires a lot of work, but his current character and facial expression could be wonderful on Smackdown or Raw right now. Perhaps I rather just see him instead of Swagger though.

I want it to be Paige but I have a fear it would be Audrey Marie instead as she would fit in better when those Diva contest members show up and how it's still feels on Raw and Smackdown sometimes (even if a Saturday Morning Slam match led to a NXT match over the Diva's Championship, so some continuation is happening again).

I would love it if it's Percy Watson and they just randomly continue the NXT Redemption story line as though it was never dropped or ignored for several months on Saturday Morning Slam. That would be hilarious.

strobogo

Banned
ecwontnn.tumblr.com

ECW on TNN 9/3/99

The first show with original matches. It starts out with Taz coming to the ring. Tajiri and Steve Corino are already in the ring.

Taz vs Tajiri ECW Championship

I saw Gabe with a hand held. Taz was already getting fat. It was coming out of his singlet. A lariat from Taz takes Tajiri down, but he comes back with the springboard elbow and SPAT on Taz! Buzzsaw kick. Tarantula is reversed into the Alabama Slam.

Head and arm Tazplex. I do like that, at least in the Elks Lodge, ECW had their hard cam above one of the comers instead of center of the ring. Gave it a much different look from WWF or WCW. Capture Tazplex.

Tajiri is dead. He died. Taz decides to hit some crossfaces just for lolz.

Tajiri comes back with a low blow, two buzzsaw kicks, and a basement dropkick to the face. A series of reversals ends with the Tazmission. Taz retains.

TNN apparently thought ECW's title song sounded too "demonic" and didn't want it played, but I guess they gave in since it was used the entire run of the show.

Joey Styles is in the ring and introduces the crowd to TNN. "TNN" chants. I don't know why, but that's funny to me. Then "NYC" chants. Joey says "Well", which brings out Joel Gertner. Joel is the new color commentator for the show. Joey flips out. Joel "I'm just like a Rubix Cube; the longer you play with it, the harder it gets" Gertner. "Fuck him up Joey, fuck him up" chants start up, which I'm sure TNN were not happy about. At least it wasn't like TNT muting the crowd chanting "asshole" at people, even if said asshole was still cutting a promo. Their first guest is Jerry Lynn, who says he isn't there to cut a boring promo like they do on Monday nights. Just a normal boring Jerry Lynn promo. He calls out RVD. Fonzie comes out and rambles like a crack head and says Jerry will not be getting a title match tonight. Then he slaps Jerry. RVD comes out to save him. A pull apart brawl happens as we go to commercial.

The Dudley Boyz vs Balls Mahoney/Spike Dudley ECW Tag Team Championship

Joel lets us know this is the last night for the Dudleys, as they they will be going to the WWF. He also announces that RVD vs Lynn will happen on next week's show. This is a brawl right away. Balls gets press slammed out of the ring onto his brothers. Bubba has lost a ton of weight. He's in such better shape today. Bubba Bomb! The assbuster version. I didn't think he was doing that until they went to the WWF. The Dudleys said they would lay the titles at the feet of the McMahons. A super sitout powerbomb to Spike.

After a break, we come back to seeing the champs hitting their finishers, but the Dudleys kicking out. Spike goes for an Acid Drop, but Bubba throws him out of the ring through a table, but bad angles on both the live shot and replay prevent a decent gif. Balls then hits two of the craziest chair shots.

D-Von does his hilarious convulsion selling. Balls gets a table out and puts thumbtacks on it. He gets powerbombed through it. Spike breaks up the pin. 3D to Spike. New champions! The ECW Tag Team Championships are going on Vince McMahon's mantle!

Joey and Joel are scared about the future. An Lance Storm/Rob Zombie video played. The Impact Players thought it was boss. Back to Joey and Joel, Joel gives a sarcastic plug for ROLLERJAM, which is then cut short by the Dudleys coming back out.

In the ring, the Duds are heeling on the crowd. "If God was a heel, he'd be the Dudley Boyz." Bubba wants to kill the backbone of ECW, so he calls out Tommy Dreamer and his FAT ASS. Tommy does indeed come out, but Paul tries to stop him. "The genius of pro wrestling, Vince McMahon." Francine also tries to stop Tommy. She's called a $2 whore, which makes Joel ask Joey for $1.87 because something just came up. I think he meant his dick. Because he got an EXTREME boner. The Dudleys DP'd Beulah while she was in the hospital and paralyzed. This was too much for Tommy and he hits the ring. But he has a broken back!

Tommy Dreamer vs The Dudley Boyz ECW Tag Team Championships

Tommy gets a random cheese grater and uses it on some balls. A ladder is put in the ring and the Duds get a teeter totter to the face.

Dreamer gets whipped into the ladder and hit with a Saito suplex. Other wrestlers and even Sign Guy Dudley try to stop this, but they can't be stopped. 3D is countered into a DDT and then RAVEN runs in and DDT's Bubba. Raven and Tommy Dreamer are the new tag team champions! Crowd went BANANA. APE and BANANA and HAM.

So ends the first original episode of ECW on TNN. The Dudleys' last match, Raven's return, and a Taz title defense. Next week will have Jerry Lynn vs RVD. I love that the angle of guys taking titles to Vince has been repeated over and over and still happens today.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I liked ECW when they didn't use cheese graters. I'm not sure why I watched most of it then.

General Studies

lol

2.8 at that? What a failure. He must be so ashamed and be forced to live in a car. I'll give him a dime if he shines my shoe, maybe that'll teach him to work hard.

Top Bottom