• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

amhaj3K.png

WWE's developmental program known as NXT put on its big boy britches last month and blew the collective minds of the WWE Universe with its first ever live event. NXT ArRIVAL was the first ever wrestling event broadcast live on WWE Network and it was the first time many fans witnessed the likes of Sami Zayn, Adrian Neville, Paige and more. Cesaro vs Zayn IV is being called a match of the year contender by many, and must see by all. WWE NXT has arrived, and there are NO excuses for fans (who are Real Americans) to watch it. The WWE developmental territory now has more eyes on it than ever, and business is about to pick up.

Elsewhere in WWE.....

Gz6dh2Z.jpg

The Network is live!!!! After a week of glitches and not being able to access some content, the Network is live! While there are still some glitches present things are being fixed at a rapid pace, and everything should be smooth sailing for Wrestlemania....at least we hope, or we'll hear Vince's backstage tirade all over the southeast. Check out http://network.wwe.com for details and http://network.wwe.com/schedule for the complete broadcast schedule.

EC14_Photo_110.jpg

The Elimination Chamber was.....a PPV. We got a great Shield vs Wyatt Family match out of it and the main event Elimination Chamber Match was fun as usual despite a predictable finish that had some fans thinking Vince Russo booked the PPV.

20140421_Light_HoganWMAnnouncement_HOMEPAGE.jpg

Hulk Hogan is back!!!!! Undertaker is back!!!! Ric Flair is collecting a paycheck!!! Bret Hart and Kevin Nash are around too...and the New Age Outlaws are once again your tag team champions of the wooooooooorld!!!

It must be Mania season, the smell of legends is in the air....or is that old gym socks? The Wrestlemania card is starting to shape up. Hulk Hogan is back to host the 30th edition of the event. Bootista vs Randy Orton for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship is currently scheduled to headline the show. Brock Lesnar is getting his shot at the Undertaker's streak this year and there have been teases of Daniel Bryan vs Triple H. While everybody isn't getting what they wanted, I'm not mad at the potential of this card.....yes, potential is the right word.

Elsewhere in Wrasslin....

In New Japan...

NJPW040713fp9.png

NJPW, "42nd ANNIVERSARY SHOW", 2014.03.06
Ota Ward Gymnasium

19:00 JST | 11:00 EU | 10:00 UK | 05:00 EST | 03:00 PST

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

01. Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Taichi)
02. KUSHIDA & Manabu Nakanishi vs CHAOS (Jado & Gedo)
03. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & Super Strong Machine vs El Desperado, BUSHI & Captain New Japan
04. G.B.H. (Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga)
05. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima), Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs CHAOS (Toru Yano, Yujiro Takahashi, Takashi Iizuka & YOSHI-HASHI)
06. Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
07. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii)
08. Special Singles Match: Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi

NJPW, "NEW JAPAN CUP", 2014.03.23
Amagasaki Memorial Park Gymnasium

16:00 JST | 08:00 EU | 07:00 UK | 03:00 EST | 01:00 PST

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

. New Japan Cup Semis & Final

Participants
Karl Anderson
Lance Archer
Shelton Benjamin
Prince Devitt
Bad Luck Fale
Doc Gallows
Hirooki Goto
Tomohiro Ishii
Shinsuke Nakamura
Manabu Nakanishi
Tetsuya Naito
Katsuyori Shibata
Davey Boy Smith Jr.
Minoru Suzuki
Yujiro Takahashi
Toru Yano

In Ring of Honor...

The stars are back!!!

stylesherodayton.jpg

Top stars such AJ Styles and Chris Hero are back in Ring of Honor and are colliding for the first time ever this month at a live event in Dayton, OH. Like most US promotions, Ring of Honor is gearing up for it's big Wrestlemania week cards which will be highlighted later in the month.

Dragon Gate USA / Evolve Wrestling

There is a NEW Evolve Champion!!!!

tumblr_n1jg8r2xu71s8f90ko1_400.jpg

Chris Hero defeated AR Fox for the title in February. Both Evolve and Dragon Gate are gearing up for big events in April.

Total Nonstop Action / Impact Wrestling

1179_7825d940a749f0179cc7ea360c8ae6de_m.jpg

TNA is heading for it's annual Lockdown PPV. The card is set and the PPV airs Sunday March 9th.

STEEL CAGE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
Magnus vs. Samoa Joe

STEEL CAGE LETHAL LOCKDOWN
Team MVP (MVP, The Wolves,???) vs. Team Dixie (Bobby Roode, Austin Aries, The BroMans)

STEEL CAGE MATCH
Kurt Angle vs. Ethan Carter III

STEEL CAGE KNOCKOUTS CHAMPIONSHIP
Madison Rayne vs. Gail Kim

STEEL CAGE MATCH
Gunner vs. "Cowboy" James Storm

STEEL CAGE MATCH
Mr. Anderson vs. Samuel Shaw

STEEL CAGE MATCH
Bad Influence & Chris Sabin vs. The Great Muta, Sanada and Tigre Uno

It's that time again marks....and we had two OTs in February, so there are two Walls of Shame

hhhu9pin.gif

Wall of Shame 1.0

OIgG8iv.jpg

Wall of Shame 2.0

z6hRZvp.jpg

Wrestlemania takes place April 6th this year, and all the Mania week events will be
hyped in the April Wrasslin thread.

But wait, there is more!!!!!

Spider From Mars has organized a community review project for each Wrestlemania which starts tomorrow! Here is the list of everyone who has signed up and when their reviews should be posted in the thread. Simply post your review for that Mania on your assigned day. We expect some folks to not participate, if it happens we will have someone else cover it for when we compile them for the Wrestlemania Week 2014 thread.

Rapstah- 1 (March 2)
Batigol- 2 (March 3)
Gurudyne- 3 (March 4)
Darkbanjo- 4 (March 5)
Serpentine- 5 (March 6)
Mr. Sandman- 6 (March 7)
Slightconfuse- 7 (March 8)
CureVylash- 8 (March 9)
Tm24-9 (March 10)
Killing_joke- 10 (March 11)
Aiii- 11 (March 12)
Pepsi City- 12 (March 13)
mrboo001- 13 (March 14)
Spider from Mars-14 (March 15)
XenoRaven-15 (March 16)
DMczaf- 16 (March 17)
TL21xx-17 (March 18)
Reneledarker - 18 (March 19)
Snaku-19 (March 20)
jred2k- 20 (March 21)
LoneWolf296- 21 (March 22)
Khrysler Jerikho- 22 (March 23)
Vince McMahon- 23 (March 24)
Man God- 24 (March 25)
Mr. Nobody-25 (March 26)
BillRiccio- 26 (March 27)
CrunchinJelly- 27 (March 28)
Nazaaay- 28 (March 29)
Strobogo-29 (March 30)

pnTfozW.gif

Kaladin

I'm sorry, is this the WWE thread? Because the title says 'Wrasslin'. You can see why that might be confusing, yes?

I'll add other companies as I get to it, wanted to get the thread live though as it was already late.

March is kind of a down time though as companies build to Mania week events in the US.

I'll add other companies as I get to it, wanted to get the thread live though as it was already late.

March is kind of a down time though as companies build to Mania week events in the US.

Oh what a load of malarkey.

You know darn well no one checks the OP after the first page.

Maybe fans of alternative wrestling like myself and Bootaaay should think about heading for greener pastures.

I'm a bit drunk but the ring of honour tv champ Mr Sicilian pants or something just turned up at pcw and he was pretty awesome

Also mike Bennett landed on me, cunt spilled my full pint

Slizeezyc

I demand "it's" be changed to "its" in the top post Sandman!

We're learned up in here, but we're giving off a hillbilly vibe with that type of grammar.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Whoo its March!

Lets remember that it was only 3 years ago when the Miz was in the main event of Wrestlemania and he beat John Cena and single handily carried Alex Riley to keeping employment for many years in this industry.

Poor guy can't even get onto the show these days.

This month is all about Shibata.

iY9v9K3o5OPem.gif

Also, Okada vs Ibushi. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

I'm a bit drunk but the ring of honour tv champ Mr Sicilian pants or something just turned up at pcw and he was pretty awesome

Also mike Bennett landed on me, cunt spilled my full pint

The Sicialin Psychopath, Tomasso Ciampa.

Dude's pretty good, real intense.

Kaladin

I demand "it's" be changed to "its" in the top post Sandman!

We're learned up in here, but we're giving off a hillbilly vibe with that type of grammar.

People actually read the OPs?

It's a work in progress....as I said, I wanted to get it live so we'd have a March thread since it is late.

Sokantish

Come on Plywood, it was like... they were facing their RIVALS! Plus it was the first NXT on the network to arrive live! It's genius!

Why is there a lower case R? Also the thread titles have been lacking.

Sandman is becoming a tyrant and using his own unimaginative titles instead of actually polling the community.

edit: Then again, weren't you the one who straight up copied an MMMGAF thread title? :lol

Kaladin

I went to the NXT Taping last night, a lot of good wrestling on the next few weeks of TV. Nothing bad really, and a couple of great matches. They're doing a Sami Zayn vs Corey Graves feud and the match they did for it was great, and they did the rematch for Bo Dallas Vs Adrian Neville and that is something everyone will want to see.

I've been wanting to go to one of these tapings since they started them in Orlando and this is the first chance I got to since it was on a Friday.

Since it's apparently a thing people do at NXT, I took a selfie.

The camera on my phone isn't that great for where I was at...

They had Bret Hart at ringside for a match with Natalya, and I went down to ringside and shook his hand as he went around after the match....that was a moment for me. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan so getting to shake his hand was awesome.

Overall, it was a fun night of wrasslin. I would say though, it's not really something fans can travel to and go see though, cause there is a good chance you will get shut out of the event. I almost did as I arrived late and wasn't allowed in until they found seating for me. I was told I didn't miss much though, think the New Age Outlaws wrestled somebody so yeah, I missed nothing.

Testing gif cam out any help is appreciated!!

also will not have review done by the have a lot a lot of stuff to do for school. will have done by the mania thread

iiWXlA9mspZ5Y.gif

also Kana and minoru suziki are going to fight in future.

Kaladin

No Chicago Raw?

Eh...people are fooling themselves if they think anything will happen with CM Punk aside from the crowd getting rowdy. I doubt he shows up on the show and I doubt they even mention it directly.

I would love to be surprised but I don't see it happening.

Confession: I don't miss CM Punk at all. Seriously. Yes, he was a great talker (one of the best, in fact), but, man, was he super sloppy in the ring the past 6-8 months. In fact, he was never that great of a wrestler to begin with (I'm seriously not trolling, btw).

When it comes to the indy darlings (Cesaro, Bryan, Zayn, Rollins, etc.) Punk is easily my least favorite in the ring. All those other guys I just listed are phenomenal, though (Cesaro is easily my favorite wrestler right now).

Curious what y'all think. :)

charsace

Dolph is gone once his contract is up. I think he will take a shot at stand up and if he performs well there I'm sure WWE will offer him a chance to main event a WrestleMania.

Kaladin

Why are you hyping NXT?, pretty sure ROH is ages better in every way.

Did you watch Arrival? That event had 3 marquee matches that all delivered big time.....it along with the network launch is the start of a new era, and I'm not sure whether to call it the Network Era or the NXT Era because both are initiatives which are changing the business.

The WWE Developmental territory has always been a good product, it has just not been as readily available for people to watch as it is now. It was always either airing in a local market and torrented or behind a Hulu Plus sub that not everyone signed up for. Well, now it is on the WWE Network and fans have fewer excuses to check it out.

Ring of Honor is a great product, but they can't match the production level of NXT and that turns a lot of fans off of indie wrestling. NXT is the bridge between the mainstream WWE product and the great in ring performances that indie fans have come to expect from wrestling over the years.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Come on Plywood, it was like... they were facing their RIVALS! Plus it was the first NXT on the network to arrive live! It's genius!
I just thought they were being fancy with the logo, not that it was actually called ArRival.
Sandman is becoming a tyrant and using his own unimaginative titles instead of actually polling the community.

edit: Then again, weren't you the one who straight up copied an MMMGAF thread title? :lol
Totally and completely within parody laws mind you and that thread was so red hot my rotating OP's got snitched on. It was also meant to bring WrassleGAF closer to its yang in MMA-GAF, both sides of the same coin, etc.

Confession: I don't miss CM Punk at all. Seriously. Yes, he was a great talker (one of the best, in fact), but, man, was he super sloppy in the ring the past 6-8 months. In fact, he was never that great of a wrestler to begin with (I'm seriously not trolling, btw).

When it comes to the indy darlings (Cesaro, Bryan, Zayn, Rollins, etc.) Punk is easily my least favorite in the ring. All those other guys I just listed are phenomenal, though (Cesaro is easily my favorite wrestler right now).

Curious what y'all think. :)

I wouldn't disagree with that, really - Punk stood out on the indies because he had buckets of charisma and could actually cut compelling, passionate promos (something of a rarity in indie wrestling), but he was never the greatest wrestler in the ring. Especially back in the day, when he regularly peppered his war crate with poorly-executed moves he'd decided to lift from Japanese wrestlers. I think one of the best examples is his match with Bryan in 2004 - it was a definite dream match and was billed as such, but really failed to live up to the hype, which was surprising, considering Bryan was on such a roll at the time that he was having great matches with practically everyone. In my eyes, Punk has always been more of a storyteller than a wrestler - he's the type of guy who would benefit from some creative freedom, but it was clear he was never really going to get that in WWE. So, yeah, I don't particularly miss him, because he wasn't being used very well anyways.

Evening Musuko said:
I still need to see Ibushi and Okada's DDT match from a while back.

Here's a link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nWteuBAi48

It was a pretty fun match, barring one or two glaring botches. Will be interesting to see how their match in New Japan differs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom