• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT| The NXT Era Has ArRIVED

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedevil

I went to the NXT Taping last night, a lot of good wrestling on the next few weeks of TV. Nothing bad really, and a couple of great matches. They're doing a Sami Zayn vs Corey Graves feud and the match they did for it was great, and they did the rematch for Bo Dallas Vs Adrian Neville and that is something everyone will want to see.

I've been wanting to go to one of these tapings since they started them in Orlando and this is the first chance I got to since it was on a Friday.

They had Bret Hart at ringside for a match with Natalya, and I went down to ringside and shook his hand as he went around after the match....that was a moment for me. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan so getting to shake his hand was awesome.

Overall, it was a fun night of wrasslin. I would say though, it's not really something fans can travel to and go see though, cause there is a good chance you will get shut out of the event. I almost did as I arrived late and wasn't allowed in until they found seating for me. I was told I didn't miss much though, think the New Age Outlaws wrestled somebody so yeah, I missed nothing.

So what did you think of the
Solomon Crowe
debut and the Adam Rose gimmick?

Ithil

I went to the NXT Taping last night, a lot of good wrestling on the next few weeks of TV. Nothing bad really, and a couple of great matches. They're doing a Sami Zayn vs Corey Graves feud and the match they did for it was great, and they did the rematch for Bo Dallas Vs Adrian Neville and that is something everyone will want to see.

I've been wanting to go to one of these tapings since they started them in Orlando and this is the first chance I got to since it was on a Friday.

Since it's apparently a thing people do at NXT, I took a selfie.

The camera on my phone isn't that great for where I was at...

They had Bret Hart at ringside for a match with Natalya, and I went down to ringside and shook his hand as he went around after the match....that was a moment for me. I'm a huge Bret Hart fan so getting to shake his hand was awesome.

Overall, it was a fun night of wrasslin. I would say though, it's not really something fans can travel to and go see though, cause there is a good chance you will get shut out of the event. I almost did as I arrived late and wasn't allowed in until they found seating for me. I was told I didn't miss much though, think the New Age Outlaws wrestled somebody so yeah, I missed nothing.

How was
Solomon Crowe's debut/gimmick
?

I wouldn't disagree with that, really - Punk stood out on the indies because he had buckets of charisma and could actually cut compelling, passionate promos (something of a rarity in indie wrestling), but he was never the greatest wrestler in the ring. Especially back in the day, when he regularly peppered his war crate with poorly-executed moves he'd decided to lift from Japanese wrestlers. I think one of the best examples is his match with Bryan in 2004 - it was a definite dream match and was billed as such, but really failed to live up to the hype, which was surprising, considering Bryan was on such a roll at the time that he was having great matches with practically everyone. In my eyes, Punk has always been more of a storyteller than a wrestler - he's the type of guy who would benefit from some creative freedom, but it was clear he was never really going to get that in WWE. So, yeah, I don't particularly miss him, because he wasn't being used very well anyways.

Well put. I definitely appreciate what he did for the industry (he was really instrumental in convincing Vince that smaller, Indy-taught guys like himself and Bryan could get over), but I think people tend to think he's a much better wrestler than he really is. Which is ironic considering he started using the "Best in the World" tagline.

I'd MUCH rather see him as a commentator, actually. His short stint as a commentator when he was injured was so awesome! More talking, less wrestling. :)

Kaladin

So what did you think of the
Solomon Crowe
debut and the Adam Rose gimmick?

I actually missed the debut, it was in the first show and I came in on the main event of that episode. Adam Rose was.....interesting. Yeah.

Also, chant of the night was "Better than Batista" for Mason Ryan.

Kaladin

How does it compare to the Impact Zone?

It's about the same size, maybe a little smaller than the old Impact Zone. It was definitely modeled after that though and the crowd is hyped as it ever was for the Impact Zone. The atmosphere is there and it feels like a great crowd to experience wrestling in.

The NXT fans are seriously hyped for EVERYBODY, and Bo Dallas gets the reaction they want him to have which is a mixed Cena reaction, but more gearing towards hate.

The key thing is though, Bo gets a reaction and it's not X-Pac heat.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Confession: I don't miss CM Punk at all. Seriously. Yes, he was a great talker (one of the best, in fact), but, man, was he super sloppy in the ring the past 6-8 months. In fact, he was never that great of a wrestler to begin with (I'm seriously not trolling, btw).

When it comes to the indy darlings (Cesaro, Bryan, Zayn, Rollins, etc.) Punk is easily my least favorite in the ring. All those other guys I just listed are phenomenal, though (Cesaro is easily my favorite wrestler right now).

Curious what y'all think. :)

I was with you until the him not being a great wrestler bit. Thats just crazy. Dude has put on so many amazing matches throughout the years in the WWE. Honestly Punk at his peak was more enjoyable to watch than all those guys. Even more than Bryan and Cesaro.

I agree though that he's been just awful for like the last 8 months, really ever since shortly after Summerslam. He was just clearly exhausted both physically and mentally. I'm glad he took the break he desperately needed, I just hope its not a permanent one. I also agree with him being upset the way he was.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I miss the old smackdown stage. Not the giant fist one, that was godawful.

I was never a fan of the fist. I liked the Ovaltron the best. I actually miss the different trons each show had. Although it was a bit jarring to watch something like Velocity or something, and seeing them come out of the Smackdown stage. At least with the HDtron you can change it to fit the show.

Here's a link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nWteuBAi48

It was a pretty fun match, barring one or two glaring botches. Will be interesting to see how their match in New Japan differs.

Thanks for the link! Will watch later!

GET ME OFF THAT DAMN WALL OF SHAME

I am nothing but GLORY

PS I'm at the Opera right now, old people errwhere. It's a theater showing of a Met play.

JOIN ME IN PRETENDING TO BE RICH

Kaladin

The NXT crowd is really, I mean really behind Mojo Rawley. He may not be the best wrestler, but he's hype for his gimmick.....and that gimmick is getting over big time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys, I'm going to go a little OT here, but maybe someone knows.

...What's the deal with Gaming side and Retro? Like they've made a couple good games, but people talk about them like they're Bullfrog or Black Isle or something.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion

...What's the deal with Gaming side and Retro? Like they've made a couple good games, but people talk about them like they're Bullfrog or Black Isle or something.

Name a single game they've had a hand in that bombed or received a mixed reaction.

There's your answer.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I really don't get it either. Then again I've never liked the Metroid Prime series at all, they're all shit.

Totally and completely within parody laws mind you and that thread was so red hot my rotating OP's got snitched on. It was also meant to bring WrassleGAF closer to its yang in MMA-GAF, both sides of the same coin, etc.

Parody laws?

Boy, where I come from, that's called gimmick infringement. That's comparable to high treason.

You just got your self a date with Wrasslin' Court, son. Hope you're ready.

somedevil

The NXT crowd is really, I mean really behind Mojo Rawley. He may not be the best wrestler, but he's hype for his gimmick.....and that gimmick is getting over big time.

He is like the NXT's Ultimate Warrior. He has time though because he is starting from scratch with no prior wrestling experience.

Kaladin

How was
Solomon Crowe's debut/gimmick
?

My friend, who was there for the whole show says
Solomon Crowe had no real gimmick, it was mostly just Sami Callahan wrestling a match. The hacker gimmick might have been a test run.

strobogo

Banned
2 time Wall of Shamer?
iLGN6N5.gif

iIC2cdvQNaliD.gif

Kaladin

He has absolutely no potential. He is awful in every way.

I disagree. He's got the a presence about him and enthusiasm for what he is doing. He is hype and he gets other people hype.....and oh good god Tori.....and while I agree, he's got a good way to go before he's there, he does have potential.

somedevil

My friend, who was there for the whole show says
Solomon Crowe had no real gimmick, it was mostly just Sami Callahan wrestling a match. The hacker gimmick might have been a test run.

Its strange because he still doing the gimmick on his twitter account. So I wonder if they put him in a match to gauge what reaction he gets from the crowd before they decide to go with what he is doing?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WRASSLEGAF dirtsheet reports something you would not believe: Former WWE Champ on the outs with the Company, C.M. Punk, is in THE SAME CITY that WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW is taking place. The same source claims that he still under contract with the company.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
So basically you want TNA Impact and the Japanese and Mexican feds on the network.

The TNA archive would be hilarious.
Real talk, TNA has years worth of good stuff. Their internet only shows were great, they had really great stuff, better than what WWE was during 2006 and 2007. Their early PPVs are a lot of fun etc.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Even when Russo wasn't there they always had the stink of later day WCW on them when it came to match finishes and concept matches. That being said I've been falling asleep/playing vidja games to WCW ppvs going roughly in reverse order (when I have enough of Russo I go back to 1993-7) and wow. It's like a TNA Test Run, only with a much higher budget.

Kaladin

So it's back to being good? The shows leading up to the PPV were pretty whatever and seemed to be cruise control.

Neville / Dallas continued, Zayn / Graves seems to be a decent feud. A lot of characters are on cruise control kind of, but that's developmental I guess. We also didn't get any backstage stuff live so they could do some of that to develop feuds more.

Pavaloo

straight up the first time I've seen Mojo Riley was on the This Is NXT feature with his "I don't get hype, I STAY hype" promo. COMPLETELY FUCKING SOLD! I can totally understand why the crowd would get behind him. It's such a wonderfully simple gimmick and done with real enthusiasm. His ring work will come with time, that's why he's in developmental lol.

Kaladin

straight up the first time I've seen Mojo Riley was on the This Is NXT feature with his "I don't get hype, I STAY hype" promo. COMPLETELY FUCKING SOLD! I can totally understand why the crowd would get behind him. It's such a wonderfully simple gimmick and done with real enthusiasm. His ring work will come with time, that's why he's in developmental lol.

Exactly.

Kaladin

Also, I think So Cal Val whom you might remember as a valet from Impact Wrestling is a regular in the NXT Arena. She was both at Arrival and she was there last night.

Sblargh

Banned

I like it, too. I just worry if he'll actually be able to stay hype all the time lol.

Imagine having to stay hype during an entire royal rumble.

Confession: I don't miss CM Punk at all. Seriously. Yes, he was a great talker (one of the best, in fact), but, man, was he super sloppy in the ring the past 6-8 months. In fact, he was never that great of a wrestler to begin with (I'm seriously not trolling, btw).

When it comes to the indy darlings (Cesaro, Bryan, Zayn, Rollins, etc.) Punk is easily my least favorite in the ring. All those other guys I just listed are phenomenal, though (Cesaro is easily my favorite wrestler right now).

Curious what y'all think. :)

You say this as if storytelling and in-ring charisma aren't a huge part of the best WWE matches of all time. CM Punk wasn't being used correctly which may make you think you don't miss him because, let's be honest, he might as well have been gone for a number of months anyway, but CM Punk being used properly is a huge, HUGE plus to any roster, and any booker worth their salt. When he's going full throttle as a heel or tweener, he looks more naturally charismatic in the ring than anyone else in the company, and does lots of "little things" that feel off the cuff, and makes him feel complete as a worker. He's not just an "indy darling" having a good technical match, or even Bray Wyatt who does a great job staying in character but very much feels like he's following a script, but a real person out there who's feeding off of the crowd, the energy of the match, what his opponent's doing, and whatever pops into his head. It's not just about his wrestling, it's never been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom